Wax Sealing Ends of Logs

Janet Renwick

Sep 27, 2002, 4:57:44 PM9/27/02
Hi there,
Could anyone tell me how to seal the ends of logs (recently felled), so that
they season and I can use them for turning next year ??
I read that you can seal with wax...Paraffin ? Has anyone done this before?
I found it being sold in a woodworking catalogue but it was blooming
expensive.

Any ideas where I can buy it cheap...preferably in Suffolk.
Thanks All
Andrew ( and his pile of Logs!! :0) )

Kip055

Sep 27, 2002, 5:08:30 PM9/27/02
If you have an old "Crock Pot" type slow cooker, you can buy blocks of paraffin
pretty cheaply, use it to melt the wax and then paint the ends with the melted
wax. Less convenient than the wax emulsions, but cheap!

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

Nova

Sep 27, 2002, 9:10:11 PM9/27/02
Janet Renwick wrote:

> Hi there,
> Could anyone tell me how to seal the ends of logs (recently felled), so that
> they season and I can use them for turning next year ??
> I read that you can seal with wax...Paraffin ? Has anyone done this before?
> I found it being sold in a woodworking catalogue but it was blooming
> expensive.
>
> Any ideas where I can buy it cheap...preferably in Suffolk.

Try your supermarket. Look for "canning wax".

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Janet

Sep 28, 2002, 7:44:37 AM9/28/02
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the info...
I'm Jan ...my husband is Andrew...he's doing the turning...
I think I should have said we were in The UK England....
No tins/cans of wax....!
any other ideas?
Jan
Janet Renwick <Quirky...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

Richard Stapley

Sep 28, 2002, 8:28:09 AM9/28/02
Janet I use Wax Granules used for Candle Making and pay about £9 for 5kg @
Smit Craft in Aldershot, not sure how many logs it will seal but it could
well be in the Hundreds.

I also top it up with any old Candles I come across.

I melt it in an Old Deep Fat Fryer and you can see how it is done in the
Hints and Tips page of my Web Site http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk

Richard

Victor Radin

Sep 28, 2002, 8:57:59 AM9/28/02
In article <an44n4$93v$1...@venus.btinternet.com>,
Quirky...@btopenworld.com says...

> Hi Everyone,
> Thanks for the info...
> I'm Jan ...my husband is Andrew...he's doing the turning...
> I think I should have said we were in The UK England....
> No tins/cans of wax....!
> any other ideas?
> Jan

Old dead candles. Retain, Recycle, Reuse. Seriously- wax is pretty much
wax when it comes to using it for sealing logs- I don't think I'd use it
for putting up a batch of preserves, but for shop uses- why not?

Melt it in a double pot (I use a set of nested coffee cans) and brush it
on with an old (recycled) paint brush.

Works like a charm- and if you toss some scented candles in also it
covers up a multitude of nasty aromas (aromii?) from old shop dog.
--
Happy Turning,
Vic

Stuart Johnson

Sep 28, 2002, 11:41:54 AM9/28/02
In article <an44n4$93v$1...@venus.btinternet.com>, "Janet" <Quirky...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>Thanks for the info...
>I'm Jan ...my husband is Andrew...he's doing the turning...
>I think I should have said we were in The UK England....
>No tins/cans of wax....!
>any other ideas?
>Jan
>Janet Renwick <Quirky...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

If nothing else is available, what about melting a wax toilet bowl ring. I
think they are a compound that if mainly bees wax. Very inexpensive.

Stuart Johnson
Red Oak, Texas

Bob Moody

Sep 28, 2002, 1:04:48 PM9/28/02
I think you are looking in the wrong place for parafin (However it's
spelled). Out here in the wilds of western Virginia I can go in any grocery
store and buy a box of that stuff, which my grandmother used to use to seal
jars of jam. Don't remember what it cost but it was cheap. Even in Merrie
Ol England they are bound to do some home canning.

Look in the department where they carry jars and what have you for canning.

Recently I sprayed the ends of two cherry logs with the aerosol normally
sold as a pruning sealer. Too soon to assess how well it works and a little
more expensive but a whole lot less work to apply.

Bob Moody

Don R Sayler

Sep 28, 2002, 1:17:22 PM9/28/02
Hi All! I find that paraffin wax is cheaper in craft stores that have candle
making supplies than grocery stores. Probably due to the much larger block
size and less packaging. Have a good weekend!!

"Bob Moody" <bmo...@shentel.net> wrote in message

Owen Lowe

Sep 28, 2002, 3:44:29 PM9/28/02
In article <MPG.17ff67c5e...@206.141.192.32>,
Victor Radin <vra...@ameritech.net> wrote:

> Old dead candles. Retain, Recycle, Reuse. Seriously- wax is pretty much
> wax when it comes to using it for sealing logs- I don't think I'd use it
> for putting up a batch of preserves, but for shop uses- why not?
>
> Melt it in a double pot (I use a set of nested coffee cans) and brush it
> on with an old (recycled) paint brush.
>
> Works like a charm- and if you toss some scented candles in also it
> covers up a multitude of nasty aromas (aromii?) from old shop dog.

I do the same thing Vic with one difference - I attempt to dip first and
brush only if the piece won't fit the CrockPot I use. I've found that if
the wood is cold or very wet the brushed wax doesn't adhere well at all
and flakes off cleanly. Perhaps it's just me and my high-tech equipment.

I second the scented and old candle discards... I donated a piece of
waxed end Magnolia to the wood raffle at one of my local AAW meetings.
The wax color at the time was a light-rose-pink. There was a guy who was
very much taken aback and interested by such a beautiful and unusual
color to the wood as I carted it in - he just couldn't figure out what
type of wood it was! :)

_____
Member AAW Chapters:
Cascade Woodturners Assoc., Portland, Oregon
Northwest Woodturners, Tigard, Oregon
_____

Reg. Sherwin.

Sep 28, 2002, 4:41:43 PM9/28/02
"Richard Stapley" <stapleyr.l...@virgin.net> wrote in message news:<5shl9.2431$YE1....@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>...
> >Janet and Andrew, If you use the melted wax system by dipping the logs in the wax, then all should be well. If you use the brushing on method, watch out for any ends which go opaque after the wax has dried. The colour indicates that the wax has not gone into the end of the log, but hardened and left a pocket of air. This has happened to me.
You could use the solid candle method by heating the candles with a
blow torch, keeping skin out of the way of course, and allowing the
melted way to drip directly onto the end grain.
You can also use out of date P.V.A. glue to seal the ends. This works
well.
Also consider splitting the logs down their length and storing in a
cool dry and airy place, with space round the logs. Weigh and date
each log, maybe once every month, and when the weight stays the same
for two or three months, the wood is as dry as it can be in that
environment.
Don't cross cut the logs into short lengths - am I too late for that
one? - as this will only give you more end grain to lose. Keep it as
long as you can for as long as you can.
Finally, join a local woodturning club. The information you get from
fellow members will more than pay the annual fee.
Regards,
Reg. (U.K.)

AHilton

Sep 28, 2002, 4:53:18 PM9/28/02
Nope. Very little if any beeswax in there these days. "Very inexpensive"
is one clue. Another one is that they're soft.

With that said, I do think the toilet bowl rings would work because of the
other kinds of waxes, petroleum's and other stuff in there. Heck, any kind
of heavy oil (that you could actually get to stay in place ... thus the
wax/oil mixture to hold it there) should slow the pace of moisture movement
out the ends.

On a side note: I'm currently experimenting with a reusable item that I
can treat the ends of logs with in order to give the same (hopefully much
better!) results as wax, paints, and commercially prepared mixtures. Lots
less messy, reusable, and (again, hopefully) effective than traditional log
treatments. I should know by next spring how well it works as I just started
treating downed logs with it.

- Andrew

Richard Hatton

Sep 29, 2002, 9:17:56 AM9/29/02
I tend to use EndSeal, which I agree is expensive. But I am lazy and its
easy/quick/clean to apply and you don't have to run the inherent burn/fire
risks associated with hot wax. I've read other thread where people have
advocated using leftover paint, but I don't have any significant quantities
of this so I haven't tried it.

The last EndSeal I bought was from Craft Supplies, as they sell it in 5
litre containers. Others seem only to sell by the litre. Their current
price is £16.95 /5L. They also sell GlueSeal at £8.95/5L. This is a PVA
glue based sealant. I've not tried that yet, but probably will next time.

Janet

Oct 1, 2002, 5:15:45 PM10/1/02
Hi there Everyone,
Came back for a quick look and found a whole bunch of you had answered
Andrew's
Question.....Thanks very much.
No he's not getting near my scented candles though....Yep the cheap old PVA
sound like a good idea.
I do loads of bottling and have never seen can of wax in the UK!
I have a small bag of candle chippings with a kit and believe me you don't
get many chippings for your £ money here folks!!
Andrew Hilton - I'm keeping my eye on your postings for that miracle mix.
Richard - the chips must taste nice after that wax(I know you said old
Reg Sherwin...Lots of info to use...Will get back to you...you sound like an
old hand at all this.

Thanks Guys!!
Jan & Andrew