Recent work

Graham

Dec 30, 2022, 2:44:25 PM12/30/22
https://postimg.cc/CZG9X9S5
These are small urns, 130mm-140mm in diameter with volumes of 0.7 - 1L.
Box elder burl with finials of ebony, pink ivory and boxwood. The
finials are threaded and screw into threaded ebony or hard maple inserts.
Box elder (or Manitoba maple) is too soft to take a thread.
I used the Simon Hope threading jig and his deep hollowing rig
resulting in a 3-4mm wall thickness.

Jim Diamond

Dec 30, 2022, 8:20:54 PM12/30/22
What type of finish did you use on them?

Graham

Dec 30, 2022, 8:38:26 PM12/30/22
I use a General Finishes salad bowl finish, which is a non-toxic
and low odour varnish. 3 coats generally produce a reasonable shine
that isn't too glaring. I find that box elder needs a toughish finish.
For salad bowls I have started using Osmo finishes. The trouble is that
they are expensive but you need the larger tins (500ml) of it to store
in "Stop-loss" bags as I have lost too much due to gelling in the small
cans.