Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.

acetone taste

Skip to first unread message


Jan 23, 2002, 6:27:34 PM1/23/02
Recieved a guift of peach and blackberry home made wine which tasted like
fingernail polish remover.promptly dumped both out.Maker thought it was a
normal taste for a strong wine .What is he doing wrong?


Jan 23, 2002, 7:29:42 PM1/23/02

"mike" <> wrote in message

> Recieved a guift of peach and blackberry home made wine which tasted like
> fingernail polish remover.promptly dumped both out.Maker thought it was a
> normal taste for a strong wine .What is he doing wrong?

Hi Mike,

The smell in fingernail polish remover is produced by ethyl acetate. The
"ethyl" comes from ethyl alcohol and the "acetate comes from acetic acid.

Bacteria in wine produce acetic and the acetic acid interacts with the
alcohol. Vinegar bacteria always produce some ethyl acetate when they make

Your friend should use moderate amounts of sulfur dioxide in his wine and
keep his wine containers completely full and tightly sealed.



Jan 23, 2002, 11:23:15 PM1/23/02
Port and sherry don't taste like acetone, and they weigh in at 15 to 20%

Solvent-like flavours can arise from fermenting too warm, or from a bacterial
infection (or from contamination from non-food grade materials). Scrupulous
hygene, food grade fermenters, moderate temperatures and a reputable yeast
should never give an acetone flavor. Does the maker take any steps to kill
off wild yeasts or bacteria? Is sulfite used in the process?


J Dixon

Jan 23, 2002, 11:48:15 PM1/23/02
Answered very well by Lum, who is an authority on many winemaking matters.
"ChrisV" <> wrote in message

Andrew L Drumm

Jan 27, 2002, 7:22:43 PM1/27/02
Agree with the warm temperatures. Generally VA comes from yeast stress.
Therefore: insufficient nutrients (eg DAP), or added too late - adding at
the end of ferment doesn't do any good as the yeast cannot build the
requisite transport mechanisms; excess inoculation - use up all the
nutrients too early; also extremes of pH.

This apparently used to be very common in home wine production in the
50s/60s, so much so that there is a story about a company selling wine back
then who added some wine with VA to every batch sold into particular markets
where home wine-making was common. Apparently up to then they had customers
returning the wine saying there was something wrong with it. Afterwards
there was no problem with returns!



Mike Smith

Feb 2, 2002, 8:10:24 AM2/2/02
Received as a guift a bottle of peach and blackberry wine,from two different
years, and they both smell and taste like fingernail polish remover. Whats
this guy doing wrong and how do I put it gently to him?

Greg Cook

Feb 2, 2002, 10:31:03 AM2/2/02
On 2/2/02 7:10 AM, in article 4zR68.21776$, "Mike
Smith" <> wrote:

I don't think it is acetone that you are smelling, but ethyl acetate. This
is the compound formed from the combination of ethyl alcohol and acetic
acid. It seems the wines have been oxidized and acetic acid (vinegar) was
produced. This combined with the alcohol.

I guess you have a couple of options. You could tell your friend that you
think the wine was exposed to too much air and/or the vinegar bacteria.
Maybe he should be more careful about head space, sulfite levels, and
splashing. Or you could smile graciously, accept the wine, and discretely
dispose of it.


Steve Alexander

Mar 3, 2002, 9:37:08 AM3/3/02
Good call on the ethyl acetate Greg, It is possible to create acetone from
a sequence of metabolic activity that runs through ethanol->vinegar->acetone
but it's unlikely unless there is a lot of vinegar(acetic acid) present.

Ethyl acetate can result from wine yeast if they are stressed from high
temps. More likely though there is an infection involved.


"Greg Cook" <> wrote in message

Eddie Vanderzeeuw

Mar 3, 2002, 8:35:27 PM3/3/02
Ethyl acetate can be created by yeast under stress as well as by many
bacteria. Acetone has a similar path way as ethyl acetate. If I understand
this chem. thing right.
Eddie V.

"Steve Alexander" <> wrote in message

Apr 24, 2019, 8:55:22 AM4/24/19
Obviously fermented under heat more than 75F and not properly sterilized, and no sulfite added early after yeast addition, turning to vinegar and overexposed to air any one of these.
0 new messages