Wonder Wine...

Chris F

May 4, 2004, 2:53:16 PM5/4/04
Greetings all...

I hope I didn't make anyone shudder with the heading, but that's what this
message is about...

I was at the super market the other day, and I noticed wonder wine... I
figured, for $2.50, why not, I'd give it a try, just out of curiosity...

While mixing it in my kitchen though, somone who had tried it before point
out that it was definitly gut rot (Anyone care to contradict him? As if
somone will contradict him, or offer any tips out how to improve the actual
product of the $2.50 kit, I'm all ears and I'll go for another attempt), so
I didn't bother to add the sugar, and tossed the stuff.

Anyway, this was my first attempt at wine making... I had most of the
equipment around the house, the air lock/etc, I've decided that rather then
just shuck the whole lot for ever, I'll try somthing else... anyone have any
good recipes for a 1 gallon batch of wine? Or anyone with any suggestions on
how to improve wonder wine to somthing palatable?

Insprucegrove

May 4, 2004, 7:19:16 PM5/4/04
Where on earth did you find that stuff?. I know it is distributed out of
Burlington Ont and I bought some years ago at some dollar store.You have to
admire a wine that makes a gallon for 2.50!

All I can say about their wine is it was a one time experiment that pretty well
put me off wine making for the next 10 years!

For those who have not had the challenge of making and "enjoying" wonder
wine--check out their website:

http://www.wonderwine.com/

Their flavours speak for themselves:

Red
White
Apple
Loganberry
Cherry
Peach

and you have to love the testimonials on their site like:

Love your wine" - J.P., Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

"Enjoying the wine and so do my friends. Thank you." - C.Z., Davidson,
Saskatchewan, Canada

"...we have been using (your Wonder Wine Peach Mix) for a number of years and
like it very much...." - M.W., Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Chris F

May 4, 2004, 8:09:05 PM5/4/04
"Insprucegrove" <inspru...@aol.com4nospam> wrote in message

> Where on earth did you find that stuff?.

Pretty much all super markets in Canada carry it.

Matthew Givens

May 4, 2004, 8:12:47 PM5/4/04
Well, since you've got the equipment, why not try a wine from Welch's 100%
frozen grape concentrate? The final product can be quite good, and Welch's
is fairly cheap. Find the recipe at:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques65.asp

Also, this website has a TON of recipes for 1-gallon batches of different
kinds of wine. Pick one and have fun.
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request.asp

"Chris F" <chris...@yahooREMOVETHESECAPS.com> wrote in message

Chris F

May 4, 2004, 8:54:38 PM5/4/04
"Matthew Givens" <m3c...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Well, since you've got the equipment, why not try a wine from Welch's 100%
> frozen grape concentrate? The final product can be quite good, and
Welch's
> is fairly cheap. Find the recipe at:
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques65.asp
>
> Also, this website has a TON of recipes for 1-gallon batches of different
> kinds of wine. Pick one and have fun.
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request.asp

Just what I was looking for. Thanks.

Chris F

May 4, 2004, 9:07:28 PM5/4/04
"Matthew Givens" <m3c...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Well, since you've got the equipment, why not try a wine from Welch's 100%
> frozen grape concentrate? The final product can be quite good, and
Welch's
> is fairly cheap. Find the recipe at:
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques65.asp
>
> Also, this website has a TON of recipes for 1-gallon batches of different
> kinds of wine. Pick one and have fun.
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request.asp

Thanks for the suggestion.

Silly question, any idea how long yeast keeps for on the shelf? I've got a
bottle of yeast with the equipment, I'm guessing it was purchased about 8
years ago. Not a problem to get a new bottle if I've got to though.

Matthew Givens

May 4, 2004, 10:46:28 PM5/4/04
The yeast is 8-years old? I'd replace it, and there are PLENTY of homebrew
stores online that will sell you various types of yeast. There should be an
expiration date on the yeast packet, but I think with 8-years it's pretty
safe to assume it needs replacing.

"Chris F" <chris...@yahooREMOVETHESECAPS.com> wrote in message

Chris F

May 5, 2004, 8:57:11 AM5/5/04

> The yeast is 8-years old? I'd replace it, and there are PLENTY of
homebrew
> stores online that will sell you various types of yeast. There should be
an
> expiration date on the yeast packet, but I think with 8-years it's pretty
> safe to assume it needs replacing.

Online stores don't really matter, there's a winemaking store about 5
minutes from my house, it's more a matter of waste-not want not ;)

Kevin J. Masters, III

May 5, 2004, 11:55:45 AM5/5/04
When I was a kid I remember watching my grandma make bread. Like everything
else, as a depression era child, she bought her bread yeast in bulk
containers....a small bottle the size of a child's fist, somewhat more than
a single use pouch. Anyhow, if she had had the yeast for any period of time
she would test it by taking some hot water, adding sugar and waiting to see
if there was any response to the yeast.

do the same thing. but first buy a package of new yeast. take the old yeast
and add to some luke warm water, say about 105 or so Fahrenheit stir in some
sugar, cover, leave on your counter overnight, if their is any significant
bubbling or foaming within a couple of days, use it and freeze the new yeast
and use it next time; otherwise dump it in the sink and use the new yeast.
Kevin

"Chris F" <chris...@yahooREMOVETHESECAPS.com> wrote in message

Dr. Richard E. Hawkins

May 10, 2004, 3:57:38 PM5/10/04
In article <20040504191916...@mb-m04.aol.com>,

Insprucegrove <inspru...@aol.com4nospam> wrote:
>Where on earth did you find that stuff?. I know it is distributed out of
>Burlington Ont and I bought some years ago at some dollar store.You have to
>admire a wine that makes a gallon for 2.50!

>All I can say about their wine is it was a one time experiment that pretty well
>put me off wine making for the next 10 years!

I had an initial foray into wine making about ten years ago. My
homebrew shop mentioned that they had received some wine kits.

Great, what kinds?

"The red is gone. All that's left is white and Rose."

"What kind of white?"

"It just says, 'white.'"

"Err, I'll take the Rose."

When I got it home, I discovered that it wasn't even grape-based.

It ended up going into a beer keg, mixed with equal amounts of diet 7up.

>For those who have not had the challenge of making and "enjoying" wonder
>wine--check out their website:

*powder*

One of the very first things I learned about making beer was not to
bother with recipes that used sugar. I know that there's exceptions for
some fruit wines, but this pretty clearly falls within the beer rule :)

hawk
--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
doc...@psu.edu 111 Hiller (814) 375-4846 \ / against HTML mail

JEP

May 11, 2004, 8:53:37 AM5/11/04
ha...@slytherin.ds.psu.edu (Dr. Richard E. Hawkins) wrote in message news:<c7omri$s0i$9...@f04n12.cac.psu.edu>...

> One of the very first things I learned about making beer was not to
> bother with recipes that used sugar. I know that there's exceptions for
> some fruit wines, but this pretty clearly falls within the beer rule :)
>
> hawk

You've never made a Belgian Dubble style? You should try one.

Andy

Dr. Richard E. Hawkins

May 11, 2004, 2:57:11 PM5/11/04
In article <f4e2195d.04051...@posting.google.com>,

JEP <je...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>ha...@slytherin.ds.psu.edu (Dr. Richard E. Hawkins) wrote in message

>> One of the very first things I learned about making beer was not to
>> bother with recipes that used sugar. I know that there's exceptions for
>> some fruit wines, but this pretty clearly falls within the beer rule :)

>You've never made a Belgian Dubble style? You should try one.

Oh, there's a few styles, but I'm really referring to the ones that use
sugar instead of extract or malt.

hawk, who really needs to get to brewing again

Ken

Oct 1, 2022, 10:30:17 PM10/1/22
I’d like to find some of that wonder wine packages if you could help me out with that that would be awesome

--
For full context, visit https://www.drinksforum.com/winemaking/wonder-wine-24846-.htm