Potassium Sorbate vs. Sodium Benzoate

Ken Hoeg

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

Can anyone tell me if Soduim Benzoate can be used in wine to stabilize
it?

How does it differ from Potassium Sorbate (which seems to be the
preferred inhibitor)?

I have Soduim Benzoate in tablet form - how many tablets per gallon is
sufficent to inhibit the yeast?

Thanks!

Ken.

Shane Badham

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96

Ken Hoeg <kh...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

Hi Ken,

I've used both. I have Sodium Benzoate in tablet form. Instructions
say one tablet per gallon. The Potassium Sorbate I used was supplied in
concentrate kits. Sorry I can't remember the manufacturer, but probably
was CWE of Norwich, UK.

I have not seen much difference between them, but then I was not
looking, :-) !

A posting here recommended that you should use a Campden tablet or two
(depending on the sweetness of the wine) with Sodium Benzoate. I always
have done this, even when I did not know the need. I forget the reason.

--
Regards, Shane.
"A closed mouth gathers no feet!"

drb.pa...@gmail.com