best way to make pear wine?

Rick Vanderwal

Nov 25, 2003, 11:39:16 PM11/25/03
Hi, I'm going to receive a couple of bushels of pears from a friend in the
fruit industry
he says they're just about ready and ripe - they've been in deep cool
storage.

What's the best way to do them?

cook them and strain the juice?
dice them and pour boiling water over them?
put them in a nylon bag and mash?

just want to have the best idea in my head before I get them so I can act on
them quicky!
thanks.
rick

Charles H

Nov 26, 2003, 9:25:11 AM11/26/03
Rick Vanderwal wrote:

> just want to have the best idea in my head before I get them so I can act on
> them quicky!

I'd make perry out of them.
<http://homepage.ntlworld.com/scrumpy/cider/perry.htm>
HTH

--
charles

"Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were
forced to live on nothing but food and water for days."
- W.C. Fields

RogerK

Nov 26, 2003, 1:49:01 PM11/26/03
I've always just cut them into quarters and deseed them. They'll
break down into mush by themselves.
Rogerk

Jack Keller

Nov 27, 2003, 12:02:59 AM11/27/03
Rick, I core them, chop roughly and put in nylon straining bag with
1/2 to 1 pound of golden raisins. Tie bag and put in primary. Mash
pears and pour boiling water over crushed pulp. Add crushed Campden
tablet, acid blend to 0.55-0.65, tannin and yeast nutrient. Wait 12
hours and add pectic enzyme. Wait another 12 hours and add yeast.
Cover with muslin. Stir daily, squeezing bag gently to extract flavor.
When vigorous fermentation subsides, remove bag and let drip drain one
hour. Do not squeeze or wine will be difficult to clear. Return
drained juice to primary and allow to settle 24 hours. Siphon into
glass secondary, fit airlock, and set aside. Rack after two-three
weeks, top up, and refit airlock. Rack again every two months (at
least twice) until wine clears. Rack again, stabilize, wait two weeks,
and add 1/8 to 1/4 pound sugar (depending on your taste) dissolved in
1/8 cup water. Bottle and age 6-12 months before tasting. Serve
chilled.

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Jack Keller

Nov 27, 2003, 12:08:53 AM11/27/03
Rick, forgot to add sugar to boiling water initially. I would add 1
3/4 pounds and when the must cools strain out enough liquid to float
hydrometer. Unless the pears are very sweet, you'll probably need to
add a little more, but taking that first reading will allow you to
calculate how much to add.

Sorry for the original omission, but I'm watching a movie while doing
this and lost concentration.

Jack Keller

Rick Vanderwal

Nov 27, 2003, 12:24:28 AM11/27/03
talented man, makes wine just about out of anything there is, watches tv,
answers posts on the winemaking newsgroup, and realizes your omissions!
heh heh heh!
thanks, Jack, and everyone else thus far and future, for your responses - I
know I'll have 2 bushels of pears, so I'll at least get a 5 gal carboy going
eventually...it will be a bit of work, but hey, with free fruit, worth a try
at least!

Rick

"Jack Keller" <winem...@lycos.com> wrote in message

Rene

Nov 27, 2003, 6:47:55 AM11/27/03
Hi Rick,

Lum advices a cold extraction for 48 hrs, then siphons off clear juice
and add yeast etc. Dunno taste difference, but it came out very nice.
Needs lots off acid though, even though the pH is way below 3, stick
to the TA of around 0.6!

Rene.

Drowell371

Sep 29, 2021, 11:15:04 PM9/29/21
I soaked my pears in a large rubber can with water so they wouldn't spoil so I had time to prepare for wine making. They now are starting to smell like vinegar, are my sugars escaping and are these pears ruined? What should I do? It is a 55 gallon rubber can that is full. Have I ruined them?

--
For full context, visit https://www.drinksforum.com/winemaking/best-way-to-make-pear-wine-20858-.htm

Bob F

Sep 29, 2021, 11:59:53 PM9/29/21
On 9/29/2021 8:15 PM, Drowell371 wrote:
> I soaked my pears in a large rubber can with water so they wouldn't
> spoil so I had time to prepare for wine making. They now are starting to
> smell like vinegar, are my sugars escaping and are these pears ruined?
> What should I do? It is a 55 gallon rubber can that is full. Have I
> ruined them?

I would never store my apples in water before I make cider. I would
expect they would rot quickly. I keep then dry in buckets in as cool of
a spot as I can, and not for more than a few days.