lined dress question

Tom and Nancy Teigen

Jun 1, 2002, 3:31:36 PM6/1/02
I am a long-time reader of the sewing newsgroups, occasional
poster. I've been admiring at how many sewing projects you all
accomplish - decided I need to get busy and replenish my wardrobe and
use up some of my fabric stash.
I have some beautiful rayon that I am planning to make
Buterick 6970. It is a lined dress pattern. The rayon is a little
translucent, so I'm not sure I would be comfortable doing it without
the lining. I am stuck as to what to use for lining. Was in Hancock's
today and looked at the 100% polyester lining fabrics - I'm afraid
that will be way too hot. I'd like to keep this dress machine washable
- I've already pre-washed the rayon and it has a really nice soft
hand. What about 100% cotton? or a poly-cotton blend?
Any advice would be appreciated.
thanks!
Nancy

Arlene Burns

Jun 1, 2002, 9:19:54 PM6/1/02
Hello~I'm a newbie to this group. Have you considered using silk? It
doesn't have to be silk "lining" fabric; instead it can be any silk fabric
with a soft hand and plenty of drape so it won't interfere with the drape of
the rayon. Silk can be easily dyed to match the color of the fabric you are
using for the garment. I've done this alot because tissue silk in off white
is readily available and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Because silk is a
natural fiber, you won't have the problem of feeling like you're in a sauna
when you wear the dress on a warm day.

and Nancy Teigen <tte...@swbell.net> wrote in message