Tie-Dying A Tuxedo Coat/Pants?

John Smith

Oct 21, 2001, 5:02:24 PM10/21/01
Any ideas if this is possible? Could I buy a vintage white tuxedo and
effectively tie dye it?

Jenni McQueen

Oct 21, 2001, 11:34:15 PM10/21/01
Don't see why it wouldn't work. I woul ddefinetly buy the dye for tye
dying rather than using Rit dye. Go to Dharmas web site and get their
dye. It is really good and I have done lots of things with their
products.

Pat Kight

Oct 22, 2001, 1:43:52 PM10/22/01
John Smith wrote:

> Any ideas if this is possible? Could I buy a vintage white tuxedo and
> effectively tie dye it?

Tailored garments are hard to tie-dye - the lining, etc. tends to make
them difficult to tie. And I confess that the thought of dying a true
"vintage" tuxedo brings out the preservationist in me and makes me want
to yell, "No, stop!"

That said, you might check with a tux rental shop - many of these
outfits sell their older, used tuxes at bargain prices, and you may be
able to pick up something dyeable. If so, then the squirt-bottle tie-dye
technique described at http://www/dharmatrading.com might work, even if
you can't tightly tie the garment.

Avoid polyester. It won't take dye.

--Pat Kight
kig...@peak.org

Karleen Page

Oct 22, 2001, 9:04:12 PM10/22/01
I would say "probably not", because I doubt if tuxes are washable! Another
option would be to buy tie-dyed material and have someone make you a tux.

--
Bead Blessed!
Karleen/Vibrant Jewels
"John Smith" <REMOV...@hSoPmAe.cMoEmR> wrote in message