Problems with Viking Rose

Karen

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
I am having a very frustrating problem with my Viking Rose. The machine ran
fine for almost a year, then one day it indicated that my presser foot was
lifted even though it was down, and the machine would not run. I took it
back to the dealer (an hour and a half drive) who replaced the lifter bar
(which took over a month). The third time I used the machine after getting
it back, it did it again. Again, it went back to the dealer who called
Viking and was instructed to replace the part again (this time it took
almost 2 months). I used the machine for about 2 months and now it has
happen again. Viking is telling the dealer to simply replace the unit yet
again. In frustration, I called Viking's help line today. They were
completely unhelpful and unsympathetic, and said there was nothing they
could do, that I should take it back to the dealer. It is obvious to me
that there is some other underlying problem with this machine. My sanity
will not allow me to continue taking this machine in every couple of months.
Has anyone else had or heard of this kind of problem. Viking and my dealer
are claiming that I'm the only one!!!!!!! Does anyone have any advice as
how to deal with Viking to get this solved once and for all?

Thanks for any help you might have.

Karen

Susan Ford

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
It sounds more like a circuit board problem. My machine
was doing similar things, and the main circuit board
was fried.

Susan

Tanya Mensinger

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
I would sugest that you threaten to go to the better business bureau.
that'll usually get their attention.Other than that, good luck. I'm having a
similar problem with UPS. VERY UNHELPFUL!!!

Mazzola

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
Here is an exceprt from a viking service web page that seems related to your
issue:

Rose; Putting the Embroidery Hoop on.

If you are struggling to get the hoop under the presser foot there
is a Very Easy Way to do it. Instead of putting the hoop on from the front
(which is what the book says to do..) slide it under the foot from behind.
The U foot will push up and out of the way and the hoop will go under it so
easily you won't believe it. This is VERY important, if you have been trying
to raise the foot to clear the hoop with the presser foot lever, that causes
damage to the spring that activates the presser foot sensor. When the
presser foot sensor spring gets bent then it will no longer activate the
switch telling the machine the presser foot is down and it will beep at you,
flash the presser foot indicator and not sew.. It will then have to come in
to the shop to be repaired.

This is under the 'service' button at this site:

http://www.vwsewgallery.com/

tony.

Karen <kar...@nautiq.com> wrote in message

Betty Cason

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
to Karen
Hi Karen; My new Viking Rose did the exact same thing; dealer
replaced a part, still did it. After about 10 trips back to the dealer
with numerous other problems (which were always MY fault) I shipped it
back to the company, and told them it was truly a lemon. Just got it
back after two months, and it still does that! I have learned to let
the machine warm up for about 10 minutes before trying to sew; and also
to not leave the presser foot in the up position when not in use--don't
know if this will help or not, but can't hurt.

Mine would not make an even stitch no matter what, and then the bobbin
winder went out.....I have never been so disapointed in anything. They
say they replaced the upper thread tension unit, and feed dog
unit---don't know why this should have to be on a new machine. But
anyway---call this number at their plant in Penn., not Ohio, maybe
you'll get better service...good luck. 1 800 826 3475. Betty Cason,
Florida

Betty Cason

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
to Karen

Lisa Martin

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
Yes. You are dealing with consumer fraud. For the money you spent on your
Rose, your dealer is not doing what it right. Dig around on the "search"
on your internet and find "state", yours, then Attorney General and then
for consumer fraud division. Their job is to protect victims such as you.
I would give my dealer an opportunity to play fair before I took fraud
action, but I certainly would take it if no quick results.

If you're timid and hesitate to raise some @#$! to get what you've paid
for, think about all the very young and very elderly who may also be being
ill treated by this bum. You'll be helping them too. And furthermore, the
very thought of waiting weeks, let alone months for a new machine repair is
unexcusable. Please don't suffer quietly . . . it just gives him an
opportunity to continue his unacceptable business practice! If this doesn't
work, consider constant whining. Make him sick to death of you!

Bob & Janet Marshall

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
Karen, you have my sympathy. I have not had a Viking but I have had exactly
the same attitude from my dealer concerning a Bernina, yes Bernina 180 when
I purchased one two years ago. I had it for not quite three months when
something actually snapped off the tension unit. When I took it back to my
dealer, firstly he suddenly did not do repairs on machines under guarantee
and he kept on repeating that 'I was the only person who had had the
problem'. It went back to the London distributors (I am in England) who
changed it for a 'new' machine which was one of the famous rogue machines.
Of course I was the only person in the whole world (never minding that the
Bernina bosses had admitted to the USA Bernina University that there was a
fault on the machine, also the USA was up in arms about this) that had a
problem so it was something I had/or was doing. Like not understanding the
thread, needle and fabric concept. We had to undergo a real fight to get
the machine sorted out, in the end I went down to the 170 which is the same
as the Viking Rose. Unfortunately my dealer will not have any contact me
whatsoever as we are regarded as 'nasty people', but I got my machine sorted
out.
Stand your ground girls.
Janet, Hove, UK
Whose entire story would fill the newsgroup in one go!

Michelle

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
Funny, I had almost these same words with a Dodge dealership when my
van door dropped off the hinge (I guess I'm stronger than I think - maybe
it's
from carrying around 5 kids???). Anyway - dow sewing machine dealers
and car dealers go to the same school to learn customer service (evasion)??

Michelle

<snip>

Joyce

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
Karen, I had problems with my Rose too, and it went back several times,
until one day the old lady demonstrator was there, and said they must fix
the sensor. Since they did that I have had no more trouble. I'm not sure if
it was the same problem as yours, but it's worth a try. Good luck! Joyce in
S Africa

Joyce

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
Karen, I replied to the group yesterday but it doesn't seem to have gone
through. I had problems with my Rose at first, and was back with it for the
fourth time when an old lady demonstrator told the technician to fix the
sensor. Since they did that I have had no more trouble. Apparently they
were supposed to refer to her on any third complaint, but didn't. Mine kept
stopping while sewing without reason, but yours may have the same root
cause. Good luck! Joyce in S Africa.

tcm55pcm

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
I'm glad I ran across you note re: Viking. I've been lusting after a
Viking #1+ for a couple of years, but can't afford it. I've even been
looking for a pre-owned machine from a dealer if possible. However, now
that I've read you experience with Viking, I'm reconsidering. One way of
dealing with Viking is plastering your dissatisfaction with them all over
the sewing newgroups and making them aware of it (I'd include your dealer
also). I guarantee you they'll sit up and give you some satisfaction. Can
they really afford all that bad publicity with so many other options out
there? Seriously, I'm going to start considering Pfaff as a result of you
posting. Hope things work out for you.

Peggy

Suzanne & Larry McHenry

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
I'm not sure if your question was answered. I had the same problem with my
Rose, but after about 3 years. I took it to the deal who said the spring had
broken and it was a common problem. The dealer fixed the machine quickly, in
about a week, and without charge. I haven't had a presser foot problem since
and that's been over a year.

Suzanne/Pittsburgh, PA

Henry

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
One of my sewing machines is a 1475 Pfaff CD.
I have had no problems whatsoever with it, I bought it new
when it first came out, got it on a 1/3 off sale.
I highly recommend Pfaff. NAYY.
I use to own a Bernina, too much trouble, it spent
too much time in the shop.

Melodi in VA

tcm55pcm wrote: Can

Larry Flanigan

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00

The problem you describe is a very easy one to repair.
It is caused by a sensor spring not making proper contact.
We are talking about a very simple repair, for a part that is under
warranty, and would only cost a few dollars if it were not.
Part of the problem nowadays with all brands is that there are less and less
qualified mechanics to repair sewing machines. I am a sewing machine dealer,
and I have sold and serviced Viking for over 30 years, man and boy, as I
grew up in the business. I strongly feel that Viking is really starting in
recent years to distance themselves from the other european brands in over
all quality , in customer service, technology and value. And the gap is
growing, which is why I have in recent years discontinued selling so many
other brands. You can have problems with anything, and you will see
complaints about such for everything, just be careful not to confuse the
exception for the rule. The problem you have now, can be repaired in a very
easy manner by someone that knows what they are doing, and has the part to
do it. Good luck and good sewing, Larry.

Herb

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
It may be significant that I had a hard time deciding in which direction
"the gap is growing" and in which direction Viking is "starting ... to
distance themselves". Although the company and its products may be
advancing in the positive direction, our own experiences (which COULD be
one of those exceptions, of course) are that retail dealers and their
employees are falling further behind. The reason, I think, is that as
the Viking products advance, the dealers don't, and fall further behind
than dealers who have less change to deal with!

The simple mechanism (by today's viewpoint) developed by Elias Howe and
only incrementally modified for a hundred years has undergone a radical
change with computerization. Organizations that used to support
accessories for a purely electro-mechanical home device are now involved
with computer software, high-tech electronics, imaging systems,
computer-aided design, and fully automatic production once only
available to major industries such as aerospace and auto manufacturers.

As is the case with computers, it is no longer routinely possible to
make a simple fix economically; entire modules must be replaced.
Problems can be difficult to diagnose or to isolate to a small part -
it's easier to replace the obvious major component. Your last line, that
says " ... can be repaired in a very easy manner by someone that knows
what they are doing ... " is a VERY BIG IF!

Larry Flanigan

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00

Herb wrote in message <38963C3C...@NOSPAMecho.com>...

>It may be significant that I had a hard time deciding in which direction
>"the gap is growing" and in which direction Viking is "starting ... to
>distance themselves". Although the company and its products may be
>advancing in the positive direction, our own experiences (which COULD be
>one of those exceptions, of course) are that retail dealers and their
>employees are falling further behind. The reason, I think, is that as
>the Viking products advance, the dealers don't, and fall further behind
>than dealers who have less change to deal with!
>
>The simple mechanism (by today's viewpoint) developed by Elias Howe and
>only incrementally modified for a hundred years has undergone a radical
>change with computerization. Organizations that used to support
>accessories for a purely electro-mechanical home device are now involved
>with computer software, high-tech electronics, imaging systems,
>computer-aided design, and fully automatic production once only
>available to major industries such as aerospace and auto manufacturers.
>
>As is the case with computers, it is no longer routinely possible to
>make a simple fix economically; entire modules must be replaced.
>Problems can be difficult to diagnose or to isolate to a small part -
>it's easier to replace the obvious major component. Your last line, that
>says " ... can be repaired in a very easy manner by someone that knows
>what they are doing ... " is a VERY BIG IF!

Well Herb, part of what we are talking about is progress, and you can't
stop it. The point I was making is that within the entire industry, there
are less people able to repair machines than there used to be, regardless of
brand.So, I would not disagree with your "VERY BIG IF" concept, but as far
as Viking in concerned, on the whole, I think it's a smaller if. One thing I
find amusing, is how people ask for and want all the new features that
machines today have, and then assume that these things are causing any
problem they may have. That is simply not true.Naturally if a machine has
extra things like an embroidery attachment for example, there is more to
learn for the user, and posssably something else to adjust in the future.
These features are very reliable in the better quality machines as a rule,
but sometimes the machines get blamed for user error or for a bad mechanic.
To resist modern improvments is a waste of time, and kind of silly. I know a
lot of "old timers" ( I'm in my 40's) in the sewing machine business that
put down the "new" computer machines(which have been around for 25 years),
because THEY don't know them or want to learn them. I think this speaks more
to the quality of the mechanic than to the quality of the machines.People
have a tendency to put down things they don't understand, or things that
challenge their own ablilty or intellect , it's only human nature.People
love scapegoats.
If, for example, you had a car without air-conditioning, or an automatic
transmission, you would never have to repair either of those mechinisms, but
you may not wish to own a car without them. I think you get my point. Oh
well...am I rambling?? :) Larry

smartkmc

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
Why not find an e-mail address for your machine (and
possibly the dealer too) and ask anyone who has replied to
you to complain. They'll realize this site is being visited
and their name is turning to mud. We should all back each
other up. The next problem could belong to anyone of us!

bnak...@gmail.com

May 19, 2019, 6:53:51 PM5/19/19
Larry, I've taken your advice, learned the Husqvarna Designer 1 machine & done everything possible to fix it that was in the service manual & online. Sensor still does not recognize hoop size. I've successfully adjusted & calibrated every step, except one - I can't get belt in embroidery arm to return to calibrated position - it always returns to various positions, leaving it off mark, so sensor senses hoop as being wrong. How do I adjust the belt calibration accuracy? Could it be needing a software update?

jameson...@gmail.com

May 29, 2020, 5:28:06 PM5/29/20
This is most definitely the spring or the switch it engages, im sorry they replaced all that, they do not know what they are doing apparently. I am a mechanic for our local shop... and yeah the lifter bar would have nothing to do with it as it is a cam on the presser foot lift paddle that engages the flat spring and in turn the switch.