SMOCKING

Catherine Paulson

Jan 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/28/96
Invitation to all smockers. We seem to be in a minority, but wouldn't it
be nice if we had a place to meet and share our interest. I will be
reading and posting on rec.crafts.textiles.miscellaneous. It's a smaller
group and our messages may not get lost. I'll be looking forward to
hearing from all of you soon.
Sewcial

Kathy Gryta

Jan 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/28/96
In article <paulson-2801...@192.0.2.1>, pau...@umbc.edu
(Catherine Paulson) wrote:

Catherine, I like the idea but I am new to the 'net and have*no idea* what
it takes to organize an interest group. Another possibility would be for
us to advertise that smockers should post to the rec.crafts.textiles.misc
group since it seems to have a lot less activity-then we could check up on
the RCTN group every so often for general gossip but check RCTM every day
for smocking news. what do you think?

Nancy Eddy

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
kad...@ftp.com (Julie Kadashevich) wrote:
>In article <klb-280196...@smpm0-11.itouch.net>, Kathy Gryta
>says...

>>In article <paulson-2801...@192.0.2.1>, pau...@umbc.edu
>>(Catherine Paulson) wrote:
<snip> smockers should post to the rec.crafts.textiles.misc
>>group since it seems to have a lot less activity <snip>

Julie Kadashevich replied:

> This seems completely unappropriate. That's why there special
> interest groups - so people can read on the subejct they are interested in.

Why would this be inappropriate? Rec.crafts.textiles.misc is for
textile arts that are not covered in other newsgroups. Why would
smocking not qualify?

Nancy Eddy

Julie Kadashevich

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96

>Why would this be inappropriate? Rec.crafts.textiles.misc is for
>textile arts that are not covered in other newsgroups. Why would
>smocking not qualify?
>
>Nancy Eddy

I completely misread it...

I thought they meant smoking... like in cigarettes... oops... thank you
for bringing it to my attention...
--
Julie Kadashevich
(kad...@ftp.com)

Cassandra Moore McZeal

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
Nancy Eddy <ne...@bcm.tmc.edu> wrote:
>Julie Kadashevich replied:
>
>> This seems completely unappropriate. That's why there special
>> interest groups - so people can read on the subejct they are interested in.
>
>Why would this be inappropriate? Rec.crafts.textiles.misc is for
>textile arts that are not covered in other newsgroups. Why would
>smocking not qualify?
>
>Nancy Eddy

I think there is some misunderstanding between "smoking" and "smocking."
I found it kind of funny, but that is just me. :)

Cassandra Moore McZeal |phone: (713) 527-8101 ext: 3528
Rice University |fax: (713) 285-5318
CAAM Dept- MS 134 |office: Herman Brown 50
6100 Main Street |url: http://www.caam.rice.edu/cmoore
Houston, Texas 77005-1892 |-----<---@ -----<---@ -----<---@

Julie Kadashevich

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
In article <klb-280196...@smpm0-11.itouch.net>, Kathy Gryta
says...

>In article <paulson-2801...@192.0.2.1>, pau...@umbc.edu
>(Catherine Paulson) wrote:
>
>> Invitation to all smockers. We seem to be in a minority, but wouldn't
it
>> be nice if we had a place to meet and share our interest. I will be
> Another possibility would be for
>us to advertise that smockers should post to the
rec.crafts.textiles.misc

>group since it seems to have a lot less activity-then we could check up
on
>the RCTN group every so often for general gossip but check RCTM every
day
>for smocking news. what do you think?
This seems completely unappropriate. That's why there special
interest groups - so people can read on the subejct they are interested
in. Some people have to pay for the time they are on line, and
going through posting on gossip on smoking while interested in
quilting would be quite upsetting.

--
Julie Kadashevich
(kad...@ftp.com)

Sherri Penko

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96

Julie,
This person is referring to the art of smocking (as in sewing) not smoking
as in cigarettes. I think posting in the misc. group would be perfectly
appropriate.> >

Steve & Kay DeFreese

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
In article <4ekv9n$7...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, mart...@aol.com says...

>I am also a smocker and have not found very many people on line that seem
>to be doing the same thing. I love it and I always have some kind of
>project going. Last summer I had the opportunity to attend MARTHA
PULLEN"S
>school in Huntsville, Al. and I can't believe how much I learned. I am
not
>very familiar with the Internet but I too would be interested in talking
>with other smockers. Please post if someone figures out where to meet.
>Happy Smocking, Martha

You got to attend Martha Pullen's school. I am so jealous. Don't you
just love Martha Pullen? I met her several years ago before she became
popular and she was just the sweetest person you could ever meet. I
met her again a couple of years ago and she was still nice. Success did
not go to her head. I would love to go to one of her schools if I could
afford it but it costs over $400 and that does not even include what you
would have to pay in hotel or eating costs. I do love her magazine and
have been a subscriber since the beginning.

Catherine Paulson

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
In article <DM0Gu...@fyi.net>, "Mark A. Stewart" <mste...@fyi.net> wrote:

> Hi! My name is Judy Stewart and a few days ago I posted something (I
> think--I'm new at this!) about looking for a smocking group--great minds,
> you know....
>
> Smocking is my first love and I have been doing it for about 10 years,
> including having my own business Silver Spoon Smocking (now defunct due
> to a recent move). I taught classes at many adult schools. My dream is
> to go to Martha Pullen's school in August someday.
>
> I have 3 children, ages 12, 10, and 8. I am still smocking for my
> daughter, the 8-yr. old. I'm always looking for cute projects or adult
> patterns that don't look like they would be out of place in the north.
>
> Judy

Welcome, Judy,

It looks like we'll get a good group going here. Glad to have you with us.
I wish my children were still little or that I did smocking when they
were. Then, I was intimidated by smocking because it looked so difficult
with all those tiny pleats. Now I have grandchildren and can smock for
them.

Catherine

Mark A. Stewart

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
to pau...@umbc.edu

Catherine Paulson

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
In article <4ekv9n$7...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, mart...@aol.com (MarthaD5)
wrote:

> I am also a smocker and have not found very many people on line that seem
> to be doing the same thing. I love it and I always have some kind of
> project going. Last summer I had the opportunity to attend MARTHA PULLEN"S
> school in Huntsville, Al. and I can't believe how much I learned. I am not
> very familiar with the Internet but I too would be interested in talking
> with other smockers. Please post if someone figures out where to meet.
> Happy Smocking, Martha

Hi, Martha,

How I envy you, being able to attend the Martha Pullen school. That would
be great fun! I would love to do that some day.

Catherine

MarthaD5

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96

fwestphal

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
Catherine Paulson (pau...@umbc.edu) wrote:
: In article <DM0Gu...@fyi.net>, "Mark A. Stewart" <mste...@fyi.net> wrote:

: > Hi! My name is Judy Stewart and a few days ago I posted something (I

: > think--I'm new at this!) about looking for a smocking group--great minds,

: >
: Welcome, Judy,

: with all those tiny pleats. Now I have grandchildren and can smock for
: them.
: Catherine
NOW STOP RIGHT THERE, PLEASE!
If you are following up to this post, PLEASE read the header tosee
where your followup is heading. It included "rec.crafts.textiles.quilting".
I have removed it from this followup so the thread on our quilting
newsgroup won't grow bigger yet. Please all of you do the same.
Thanks very much!
dorothy
--
Fred and Dorothy Westphal, at home in Sunnyvale California
west...@netcom.com

Julie Fisher

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
to mste...@fyi.net

Hi Judy,

I'm just contemplating my first smocking project, so I know very little
about smocking, except that I love looking at it! I can't imagine making
a living sewing heirloom clothing. How wonderful!
--
Julie Fisher
jfi...@sunset.backbone.olemiss.edu

MarthaD5

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
I have just learned about my computer and I don't know how to reply yet
and edit previous messages along with my response. If someone could
explain it that would be great. Anyway, I would like to recommend the
Australian Smocking magazine as well as Martha Pullen's. It is one of the
most beautiful publications I have seen in a long time and it always
includes all patterns necessary for the highlighted project. It usually
has things for women as well as children. I have seen beautiful nightgowns
and blouses. It also usually features a home project like hand towels or
blankets. I just love it.
I also have 3 children. A boy,11, a girl,8, a boy, 5. They keep me busy
and sewing keeps me sane. My daughter still will wear a smocked dress to
church every Sunday but only once or twice a week to school. I expect that
next year she will not wear any at all to school but I feel fortunate that
she has been sweet about it this long. When she quits all together I think
that I am going to start on towels and placemats and such for her
trouseau. Oh, I forgot to say that we live in Alabama so the wearing
season for heirloom things is longer here.
All for now. Martha

steve and gab

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
Cassandra Moore McZeal (cmoore) wrote:
: I think there is some misunderstanding between "smoking" and "smocking."

: I found it kind of funny, but that is just me. :)

So, should we have a "Great American Smock-Out"?
How about a "Stop Smocking Day"?

"Ladies and Gentlemen, please fasten your seatbelts and extinguish all
smocking materials."

gabrielle

GfromKC

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
Count me in with the smockers! I "taught myself" to smock (with the
encouragement of my local shop owner) starting 3 years ago, now I just
can't stop! If you're interested in learning how, find and support your
local shop and shopkeeper--Virginia at Smocked Togs in Independence, MO
has held my hand from the beginning to the present!

Gayle Leonard

fwestphal

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
Catherine Paulson (pau...@umbc.edu) wrote:
: In article <4ekv9n$7...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, mart...@aol.com (MarthaD5)
: wrote:
Please do not post "followups" if you don't know how to edit the
header where you read what newsgroups will get your post.
Someone started this thread coming to the rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
newsgroup, and this thread is not appreciated there.
Make sure the newsgroup(s) you select are appropriate. Quilters who
are interested in other forms of needlework will be reading those
other newsgroups, too, and will see the smocking post.
If you can't edit that header line, all you need do is post an
original message with the same subject line, and it should go
only to the group you are reading at that time.
Thanks for your help.

Engdeb

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
I like seeing the smocking postings. I had been looking around for a
group. I've been smocking for about a year, and am just starting to feel
comfortable. I have two little girls, Rachel (5) and Sarah (2), who hope
I hurry and get the Easter dresses done on time this year! One is
traditional smocking and one is counterchange. The counterchange is much
quicker, and you don't need a pleater. (After the sewing machine and the
knitting machine and the computer, I don't have the heart yet to tell my
husband I need another machine!) But the results are prettier with the
traditional smocking, I think.

Debbie English
Colorado Springs

Annie Everall

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
In article <4eoqpk$9...@news4.digex.net>, steve and gab
<s...@access2.digex.net> writes

Or how about "This area has been designated a smock free zone"
Annie

AuntDodo3

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
In article <4eoqpk$9...@news4.digex.net>, s...@access2.digex.net (steve and

gab) writes:>
>"Ladies and Gentlemen, please fasten your seatbelts and extinguish all
>smocking materials."

Would you like to sit down in a "Smocking or Non Smocking area?"
No smocking with 20 yards of the building.

Greg Stromath

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96
Annie Everall <anniee...@alannie.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <4eoqpk$9...@news4.digex.net>, steve and gab
><s...@access2.digex.net> writes
>>Cassandra Moore McZeal (cmoore) wrote:
>>: I think there is some misunderstanding between "smoking" and "smocking."
>>: I found it kind of funny, but that is just me. :)
>>
>>So, should we have a "Great American Smock-Out"?
>>How about a "Stop Smocking Day"?
>>

>>"Ladies and Gentlemen, please fasten your seatbelts and extinguish all
>>smocking materials."
>>

>>gabrielle

>Or how about "This area has been designated a smock free zone"
>Annie

Would you care for the smocking or non-smocking section?
Greg Stromath
Lake Elmo, MN (Where it is very cold)

bthax

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96
Martha..We have a few smockers, more each day, at rec. misc. textiles. misc
Come join....Sew Precious in KY
bthax
@ldd.net

Mavia Beaulieu

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96
Greg Stromath (str...@iceworld.org) wrote:
: Annie Everall <anniee...@alannie.demon.co.uk> wrote:

aj...@ccn.cs.dal.ca
Mavia Beaulieu - Dartmouth - Nova Scotia - Canada
A friend is a gift you give yourself.

Catherine Paulson

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96

Debbie,
Smockers have begun posting on *rec.crafts.textiles.misc.* We'd love to
hear from you if you have time for another newsgroup.
Catherine

bthax

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96
In article <4eo808$r...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, eng...@aol.com (Engdeb) says:

>I like seeing the smocking postings. I had been looking around for a
>group. I've been smocking for about a year, and am just starting to feel
>comfortable. I have two little girls, Rachel (5) and Sarah (2), who hope
>I hurry and get the Easter dresses done on time this year! One is
>traditional smocking and one is counterchange. The counterchange is much
>quicker, and you don't need a pleater. (After the sewing machine and the
>knitting machine and the computer, I don't have the heart yet to tell my
>husband I need another machine!) But the results are prettier with the
>traditional smocking, I think.
>
>Debbie English
>Colorado Springs

Debbie,
It's great to hear you enjoy creating for your girls as I have. My three girls are 13,
11 and 9 yrs old and have almost out grown most of the designs. I have found it to be
both creative, original and somewhat inexpensive considering all of the
beautiful dresses that have been passed down one to another. When I started
in '82, I told my husband I wanted a pleater for Christmas. He ordered one
from the shop I used and when the owner called to tell him it was in he ask
if it would fit in the trunk of his small car! HA... Prices are quite
reasonable if you plan to do it for years. Now I mostly make baby gifts
and Christening Gowns for adoring Grandmothers! Check out the Rec.Crafts.
Textiles. Misc later......Sew Precious, Kentucky
bthax
@ldd.net

domangu...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2018, 5:42:30 PM7/29/18
And its 2018 and I still haven't found any smocking groups to join..I have been smocking almost 16 years. I enjoy it and wanna share what I do and wanna see others work too

Kay Lancaster

Aug 20, 2018, 5:42:04 PM8/20/18
https://www.smocking.org/ if you're in the US