Need to clean pet fur off of polar fleece

Prmthreads

Apr 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/29/00
We have two thick coated dogs that shed and several cats. I've tried washing
my polar fleece blankets and vests several times and just can't seem to get rid
of the dog and cat hair (white on dark colored fleece). I don't have a drier,
so just hang them ouside and hope for a fierce wind to help blow them off.
The blankets are too large to spend the time with tape, etc. I know not to use
fabric softener on the fleece and am figuring I might just have to live with
the hair. Does anyone have any great ideas? Thanks, Cheryl

Penny S.

Apr 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/29/00
a dryer will suck all of the hair into the lint collector.

Penny S
mom to a shedding Golden Retriever

"Prmthreads" <prmth...@aol.com> wrote in message

RUA2K

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00
3M makes a Lint Roller. It's basicly masking tape inside out. You can get them
from Wal-Mart.

Soft Landings
Ray

P. Campbell

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00
RUA2K (ru...@aol.com) writes:
> 3M makes a Lint Roller. It's basicly masking tape inside out. You can get
> them from Wal-Mart.

Agreed , plus you can find similar ones at most dollar stores . I dunno
what brand I have , but with a mostly black wardrobe ( I'm not goth , black
just suits me ) and one blue-point siamese and one tabby , both who shed ,
its an ESSENTIAL ! You can even find pocket/folding units now !

The White Wolf

--
* Knowing when to abandon those who care *
* * too little or too much about themselves * *

Shirley Ward

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00
I have a heavy sponge that I find gets pet hairs up very easily. You might
moisten a sponge, wring out very well, and rub it in one direction against
the polar fleece fabric.................... or get out the scotch tape and
wrap your hand with it (sticky side out) and use that to pick up those
fuzzies.

--
Shirley in WA state

RUA2K

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
I've seen ones that you just reinse off after using. Can't remember the names
or where to find one. I would think where you find the others but not sure.

Soft Landings
Ray

zehede

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
A very easy way to get fur off the polarfleece is to run it through your
dryer on the 'no-heat' fluff and dry for about thirty minutes.
It also helps to put a damp washcloth in with it.
Hope this helps.
Zehede
zehede"deleteme".vcf

CW

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
In the orriginal post it was stated that tape, ect was out due to the time
involved. It was also stated that a dryer was not available. I was
interested in this due to the limitations. I thought maybe someone had an
ingenious method to share (I have four cats myself and could benefit by
this).

--
CW
KC7NOD
zehede <zehede\"deleteme\"@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Rick Santarpio

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
I saw something recently on TV about this. Use a pair of rubber dishwashing
gloves and rub your hands over the item you want to clean. The pet hair
sticks to the gloves. It's cheap and it works!
CW <cma...@sprynet.com> wrote in message

Penny S.

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
I posted the first dryer post, well aware of what you had written ( line
dye) You were seeking suggestions, and perhaps if the tape thing is a hassle
for you, it's worth a trip to the Laundromat.

P.

Penny S.

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00

> Thanks for the suggestions, but I live in the country and going to the
> laundramat is not in the picture. I guess I was hoping someone had a
special
> cure for this without the dryer and tape, but guess if it starts bugging
me
> enough I'll use the tape or lint roller. I'd like to try the gloves
method
> too, that might be faster. I was actually hoping someone might know
something
> I could throw in my washer with the fleece that would attract the hair.
Oh
> well. Cheryl

I think when any of us posts a request for a new way to...(fill in the
blank).. it's a disappointment when we don't hear anything new, and a
frustration. Sometimes the answer that one seeks just doesn't exist, or
sometimes the question isn't getting asked in the right place. sometimes
you see the demand for the creation of a new solution!!

I used to ask questions here related to the type of work/sewing I do, and I
could never get the answer I was seeking here. I have since learned where
to get the info I need, and not hold it against the participants here that
no one had the answers I needed.

Penny S

Prmthreads

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00

mak

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
Hi Penny:

Well... where do you get the info you need????? Maybe it can help me out
to!

Thanks, Margaret
"Penny S." <psc...@nextdim.com> wrote in message

The Liebers

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
Since I first saw your post I have been trying to find the name of the
brush I bought several years ago. It looks like red velvet but is very
stiff with a very defined nap. It was meant for cleaning lint from wool
coats and suits (the original reason I purchased it) but works wonders
on fleece. It even has smoothed some of the pills on the cheap
imitation polar fleeces. It might be something you could be on the
lookout for in stores that sell good woolen clothing. I wish it had a
name or something on it to give a better chance of finding the maker.

SDavey

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00

. I was actually hoping someone might know something
>I could throw in my washer with the fleece that would attract the hair. Oh
>well. Cheryl

Well, if you put it that way, I have a long shot you might try--children's
blanket sleepers. I don't have a furry pet, so don't deal with this
problem, but I do have very long hair myself and every time I take my
toddler's sleepers out of the wash, they've attracted every one of my hairs
that was in there with it!

Sharon

Prmthreads

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
Thanks for these new ideas. I'll see if I can find the brush. Cheryl

Joan Conrad

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
RUA2K <ru...@aol.com> wrote:

> 3M makes a Lint Roller. It's basicly masking tape inside out. You can get them
> from Wal-Mart.
>

> Soft Landings
> Ray

If there is a laundromat near by, take the fleece items there. Rent a
large dryer, put in the items and turn the dryer dial to AIR Only. The
hairs should come off and collect in the lint trap as the items whirl in
the dryer. I use this method to get rid of hairs and dust. Put your
pillows in a cold dryer and air spin them - fluffs up the feathers/
polyester filling and sucks out the dust, too. If you want scent, drop
in a dryer sheet.
--
- Joan Conrad
.

spilsted

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
Actually, there is something that I accidentally washed one day that did
attract everything! You might give it a try because they are quite
inexpensive and if it doesn't work you could use it to do exercises.....One
day when I washed my daughter's dance wear (machine wash, hang to dry) I
dumped everything in the wash without realising her "Thera band" was in the
bag as well. The darned thing acted as a magnet to every bit of lint and
fluff that had been in the bag. Maybe I was just cursed, but it might work
for you. They are a rubbery vinyl thing that you get at your local pharmacy
(they cut it to length for you) in various strengths. People use them to
improve muscle strength in their ankles, wrists, etc. - it might be worth a
try.
Cynthia
Prmthreads wrote in message
<20000502205022...@ng-ch1.aol.com>...

>Thanks for the suggestions, but I live in the country and going to the
>laundramat is not in the picture. I guess I was hoping someone had a
special
>cure for this without the dryer and tape, but guess if it starts bugging me
>enough I'll use the tape or lint roller. I'd like to try the gloves method
>too, that might be faster. I was actually hoping someone might know

jsgse

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
I have a sponge like block that is very good at picking up hair
off furniture, like office chairs and woolen pillows. I don't
know how well it will work on a soft material like a fleece
blanket. You wipe the block in one direction like a lint brush
and the hair collects on it. It is yellow. I bought it in a
fabric store (Fabric Place in Woburn Ma, but have seen in other
stores). I don't remember the name and unfortunatly item isn't
marked, but it is specifically for removing pet hair and comes
wrapped in cellophane.

I have tried the roller that you can rinse off. I find it
doesn't work very well on anything except very flat (woven
cotton type) material with no nap. And it didn't last very
long. You need to keep it covered between uses and the plastic
film they included with it eventually removed most of the
stickyness. There are different brands, and others may be
better. There was a review recently in Whole Dog Journal or
Whole Cat Journal of various products, and listed brands. If
you are intersted email me and I will find and copy the article
for you. Send me a snail mail address or fax number.

For the person that suggested the toddler sleepers in the wash -
what material are them made from? I don't have children so I am
not even sure what type of garment that is.

Joy

In article <20000429133805...@ng-cg1.aol.com>,

prmth...@aol.com (Prmthreads) wrote:
>We have two thick coated dogs that shed and several cats. I've
tried washing
>my polar fleece blankets and vests several times and just can't
seem to get rid

>of the dog and cat hair (white on dark colored fleece). I

don't have a drier,
>so just hang them ouside and hope for a fierce wind to help
blow them off.
>The blankets are too large to spend the time with tape, etc. I
know not to use
>fabric softener on the fleece and am figuring I might just have
to live with
>the hair. Does anyone have any great ideas? Thanks, Cheryl

Julie Ruby

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
I don't know if this would work on polar fleece but it's easy and worth
a try.

I have an area rug that even my Kirby vacuum cleaner won't remove the
dog/dog/cat hair from. While using some glass cleaner on the glass
table top I inadvertantly misted some onto the rug underneat the table.
Being barefoot at the time, I ran my foot over the rug to see just how
wet I'd gotten it. To my amazement, over the area where I'd slid my
foot, the hair had rolled up into a giant mat,that was easily picked up.

I'm really not suggesting that you take your shoes off the try and
clean your polar fleece but a light misting or maybe wet hands will
pill up the pet hair.

Lots of luck....

Julie

If you seek Him, He will make Himself known to you.

Kathy I. Morgan

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
Prmthreads <prmth...@aol.com> wrote:

> Thanks for these new ideas. I'll see if I can find the brush. Cheryl

I've got two of them that I just tried on a Polar Fleece jacket. I
wasn't very impressed by the results. They did a nice job of organizing
the long cat hairs so they all lie neatly in the same direction--but
they're still on the fleece. :-( If you're interested though, the cheap
one doesn't have any kind of label at all on it. The better quality one
has a label "Leifheit dressetta" on it. I've no idea where I bought
either of them.

--
Kathy

Prmthreads

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
I actually have one of these from a while ago. I'll try it and let you know if
it works. Cheryl

jlmilroy

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
Dampen your hand with water, (not wet, ,just damp, you don't want the
material wet)
and ball up the hair by taking your hand and stroking it in one direction,
palm down,
over the material. Rinse hand. Repeat until hair is gone.
This also works for car seats, etc.

Emily

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
I was thumbing through a very old book and household hints and came across
this article. I have no pets-allergies, so haven't tried it. Make a very
light solution of glycerin and water, use a thin sponge to gently wipe the
hair/fur off furniture or whatever.
Hope this helps.
Emily in Houston

Tanya Nehr

Jan 11, 2022, 11:13:23 PM1/11/22
Buy a rubber dog brush. I have two polar fleece pillow covers that are always covered in dog hair. The rubber brush is the only thing that has worked for me.