Healing Rotary Cutter Wounds

M Brown

May 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/13/97

I sliced my left index finger with my rotary cutter. I went to an
Urgent Care facility, waited two hours, they bandaged me up and charged
$78 dollars. No stitches, just a whole roll of gauze. My finger looked
like a chicken drumstick:) Not much advice was given on caring for the
wound. I would like to hear, from others who have sliced their finger
with the gizmo, how everything knit back together. To get you thinking
I want to know things like:

a)Did it leave a scar?
b)What happened to the piece that you cut off. Did it maintain it's
color, eventually drop off, healed perfectly back in place? Tell me!
c)Did you have stitches?
d)Did it become infected?
e)What special care did you give the cut?
f)How did you protect the area from bumps?
g)What did you do immediately after cutting yourself?
h)How long did it take to heal?
i)What preventative measures do you take now to keep from cutting
yourself again. I won't guarantee I'll be smarter next time:)

I want this to be informative. I never thought I would do such a stupid
thing but I did. It would sure be helpful to me to hear how it went for
others so I will know what to expect. I'm sure it might be interesting
for others to know in case they ever do something like this. Thanks in
advance for your replys.

Dee

Jane Greaves

May 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/13/97

> i)What preventative measures do you take now to keep from cutting
> yourself again. I won't guarantee I'll be smarter next time:)

Hi Dee,

sorry to hear you injured yourself, and hope it wasnt too bad a cut. I
cant answer all your questions, but I can have a go at the last one...
the only safe method I have found is _always_ to keep _all_ of your
non-cutting hand on top of the ruler you're cutting against. That way even
if you slip you wont cut into your other hand. If the ruler is unsteady
you can put fingers down on the mat on the side _away_ from the cutter.

It helps to try and get into a routine, like,

settle hand on ruler, open blade, cut, close blade

every time you use it, till it becomes a habit.

Hope its healing OK!

Jane G.

wils131

May 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/14/97

Dee - So sorry to hear about your accident. I once knicked the
end of a finger with a rotary cutter. It was'nt bad and healed
quick because it is such a clean cut. I have found that my small
rotary cutter seems safer than my larger one. Not quite as handy,
but feels safer. Years ago I sewed through the end of a finger
(while in a hurry), that doesn't feel too terrific either.
I think Olfa makes a guard you can add to your ruler. That
and making a concious effort to be careful might help.
Sometimes all that cutting can get tedious so take breaks too.
Good Luck, Taria
--
Please visit my Web page at:
http://hphoto.san-bernardino.ca.us/wilson/tlwpage/index.html

The Washburns

May 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/14/97

I can't answer all of your questions, but the best thing for rotary
cutter injuries has to be butterfly bandages (available here just about
anywhere - grocery or drug stores). Put the butterfly bandage(s) on to
close the cut, and it works just as good as stitches. If you have
access to steri-strips (my mom works in a doctor's office and can get me
some) they work even better than the butterfly bandages. They are like
stitches, only they are little self-adhesive strips of plastic with
thread inside. Then just cover it with a band-aid for a few days, and
then take the whole mess off. It should heal fine, and if it scars, it
will only be a thin line.

Lisa in Texas

Nancy Dooley

May 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/14/97

On Tue, 13 May 1997 19:27:56 -0400, M Brown <trav...@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

>I sliced my left index finger with my rotary cutter. I went to an
>Urgent Care facility, waited two hours, they bandaged me up and charged
>$78 dollars. No stitches, just a whole roll of gauze. My finger looked
>like a chicken drumstick:) Not much advice was given on caring for the
>wound. I would like to hear, from others who have sliced their finger
>with the gizmo, how everything knit back together. To get you thinking
>I want to know things like:
>
>a)Did it leave a scar?
>b)What happened to the piece that you cut off. Did it maintain it's
>color, eventually drop off, healed perfectly back in place? Tell me!
>c)Did you have stitches?
>d)Did it become infected?
>e)What special care did you give the cut?
>f)How did you protect the area from bumps?
>g)What did you do immediately after cutting yourself?
>h)How long did it take to heal?

>i)What preventative measures do you take now to keep from cutting
>yourself again. I won't guarantee I'll be smarter next time:)

Don't get medical advice on the internet.

That said, you don't say if the piece of your finger was still there
or not, or if it was still attached.

If attached, just keep it wrapped and dry (except for some antibiotic
ointment when you change the bandage) and it should heal fine. You
may lose some of the nerve feeling in that part of your finger,
though. (I slammed my finger in a screen door when I was little, and
the whole top sort of lifted off like an attached lid. No scar, but
the feeling is about half gone.)

If you sliced a piece off, like a friend of mine did with hedge
clippers, for her wound, the hospital just made sure they had lots of
ointment on it ALL THE TIME, and bandaged it. The end of her finger
sort of grew back.

Call the d*mn hospital and ask for some follow-up instructions. Why
didn't you ask at the time? You gots to speak up, girl!

Hope it's better real soon .... ;-) Hugs.

Nancy.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature
forever."

Gilbreath

May 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/14/97

I'm a registered nurse (retired) and I can vouch for these methods.
Either Steri-strips or Butterfly bandages will work, however don't put
ointment on with them, as they will slide off. Some pharmacists will
supply you with steri-strips if you explain the situation.

Koko in South Texas

elu...@ix.netcom.com

May 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/14/97

wrote:

>I sliced my left index finger with my rotary cutter. I went to an
>Urgent Care facility, waited two hours, they bandaged me up and charged
>$78 dollars. No stitches, just a whole roll of gauze. My finger looked
>like a chicken drumstick:) Not much advice was given on caring for the
>wound. I would like to hear, from others who have sliced their finger
>with the gizmo, how everything knit back together.

I haven't sliced off the tip of my finger as you've described, but way
back when I first got my rotary cutter I had more nicks in my fingers
than you can imagine. Somehow, with experience, it's become second
nature to keep my fingers out of the way, and I almost never hit
myself any more. I think I almost automatically hold the ruler way
over on the left side. That way my pinky can rest on the mat, and
keeps the ruler from sliding.

Eileen in So Cal

Helena Suomalainen

May 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/14/97

In article <3378F8...@ix.netcom.com>, trav...@ix.netcom.com says...

>I sliced my left index finger with my rotary cutter. I went to an
>Urgent Care facility, waited two hours, they bandaged me up and charged
>$78 dollars. No stitches, just a whole roll of gauze. My finger looked
>like a chicken drumstick:) Not much advice was given on caring for the
>wound. I would like to hear, from others who have sliced their finger
>with the gizmo, how everything knit back together. To get you thinking
>I want to know things like:

I have not cut that badly with a cutter but maybe sewing into ones finger gives
some insight especially to question e) (from the doctor and nurses and this
advice has helped me): as long as the cut is open, rinse twice daily first
with peroxide solution (it stings), then rinse with cold water, dry with
absolutely clean tissue or pad that does not leave lint, bandage, keep dry at
all cost. If the bandage gets wet, start from beginning of operation. This way
my cuts heal at the top in three days max, usually two days, they will stay
sore for a few days longer and need a bandage to cushion the area. Helena

sarah curry smith

May 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/15/97

Jane Greaves wrote:

> > i)What preventative measures do you take now to keep from cutting
> > yourself again. I won't guarantee I'll be smarter next time:)
> >
> Hi Dee,
>
> sorry to hear you injured yourself, and hope it wasnt too bad a cut. I
> cant answer all your questions, but I can have a go at the last one...
> the only safe method I have found is _always_ to keep _all_ of your
> non-cutting hand on top of the ruler you're cutting against. That way even
> if you slip you wont cut into your other hand. If the ruler is unsteady
> you can put fingers down on the mat on the side _away_ from the cutter.
>
> It helps to try and get into a routine, like,
>
> settle hand on ruler, open blade, cut, close blade
>
> every time you use it, till it becomes a habit.
>
> Hope its healing OK!
>
> Jane G.

Me, too! I "sloused" (as MSM would say") off a little bit of a thumb,
once, and that cured me! Hand/fingers on TOP of the ruler (not slopping
over, no matter how spread out it is, no matter how tiny the ruler).
If it starts getting tacky on you, douse it with a good dollop
of hydrogen peroxide (if it bubbles, it's working :-) ). If that
doesn't work, then hie yourself to the doctor.
Good luck!
happy Trails,
Sarah in Las Cruces, NM

sarah curry smith

May 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/15/97

M Brown wrote:

Dee, I posted a bit of a response (to a response), but didn't have your
post, and I can't leave it alone, now that I've got it ...

> I sliced my left index finger with my rotary cutter. I went to an
> Urgent Care facility, waited two hours, they bandaged me up and charged
> $78 dollars. No stitches, just a whole roll of gauze. My finger looked
> like a chicken drumstick:)

Is this your first trip to the ER? When my kids were little (and I made
11 trips to the ER for head-stitches), I learned to LOOK at it, decide
whether it was life-threatening or "just" a bloody scalp-wound (always
the latter, thank goodness), and if it was "just," then the child just
had to clap a rag on the gash and WAIT while I gathered up a book, my
needlepoint, and poured myself a Coke ... I knew I was there for at
least 2 hours, and I might as well be comfortable ... :-)

Not much advice was given on caring for the
> wound. I would like to hear, from others who have sliced their finger
> with the gizmo, how everything knit back together. To get you thinking
> I want to know things like:
>

> a)Did it leave a scar?

I sliced off the end of my thumb (not a big slice); and I sliced down my
left index finger (a fairly deep slice). Neither left a scar. I do,
however, have a small scar on my toe, from the ONE time I forgot to snap
the guard closed, and of course, knocked off the cutter. :-( Your rotary
cutter blade is SHARP (we hope). It should make a very "clean" cut.

> b)What happened to the piece that you cut off. Did it maintain it's
> color, eventually drop off, healed perfectly back in place? Tell me!

The end of the thumb wasn't big, and it went in the trash. The flap on
the finger stuck back in place, and I've not thought about it, but I
assume it eventually replaced itself from the inside-out.

> c)Did you have stitches?

No ... after all those head-wounds 20 years ago, I've figured out what's
worth stitches and what isn't ... and there's no way to stitch the end
of a thumb, anyway. The finger-flap just sorta glued itself back on
with a band-aid on top ... I put one of those butterfly-things on the
toe.

> d)Did it become infected?

Clean as a whistle, all of them, BUT, I'm a great believer in RUNNING
WATER on a cut, and then a healthy dollop of hydrogen peroxide, and a
bandage (I question whether it's necessary to make a drumstick out of it
:-) )

> e)What special care did you give the cut?

Other than watching it bleed (which also helps "clean it out"), washing
it good (hurts, but works), pouring on the peroxide, and putting on the
band-aid, no special care. My theory is that if it isn't worth
stitching (and, more often than not, even if it is), it'll heal itself
without a whole lot of hassle.

> f)How did you protect the area from bumps?

I'd think a drumstick of gauze would work ... but I just used a
band-aid.

> g)What did you do immediately after cutting yourself?

I said something like "S***, you Dummy, you just cut the end of your
thumb off!!!" Then I went to the bathroom and ran the water and got out
the peroxide and band-aids.

> h)How long did it take to heal?

A couple of weeks, maybe? I really don't remember. When I thought I
could get by without the band-aids, I did. The thumb-scab peeled off in
good time. The toe took the longest, probably because shoes create an
atmosphere which really isn't conducive to quick healing?

> i)What preventative measures do you take now to keep from cutting
> yourself again. I won't guarantee I'll be smarter next time:)

I have never again failed to close the guard on my cutter. And I just
look to make sure I've not got any part of my anatomy hanging over the
edge of the ruler (I consider it to be something akin to men's having
the simple sense to check their zippers before they leave the bathroom
... it's not a DIFFICULT thing to do, to take a LOOK, before you take a
swipe with the cutter (and I'll readily grant that I'm a slow learner
-- it took me TWO bloody cuts before I figured that one out)).

> I want this to be informative. I never thought I would do such a stupid
> thing but I did. It would sure be helpful to me to hear how it went for
> others so I will know what to expect. I'm sure it might be interesting
> for others to know in case they ever do something like this. Thanks in
> advance for your replys.
>
> Dee

Bottom line, Dee, is that hands and heads and feet BLEED, because there
isn't anywhere to "bury" the blood vessels. I didn't get scared,
because I've seen LOTS of bloody wounds, which weren't at all bad. The
only thing the quilters have to worry about, I think, is leaving some
foreign material in the wound. If it bleeds, that isn't likely. If you
WASH it, it's less likely ... and Peroxide (or plain old alcohol, which
also HURTS, but works) also helps. Keep it covered until it's begun to
"knit," (or scab), and then give it air.
You'll be fine.
And goodness! You've not got other SCARS? I'm COVERED with
scars (especially on the knees and elbows -- I fell down a lot, because
I never understood the concept of "walk" before I was 18 or so; I broke
no bones until I was 27, but I ALWAYS had a scab :-)
Grins, Sarah
(who hopes you heal nicely)

Beverly

May 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/16/97

It makes good sense to me.

One thing I did when I cut the end off my finger, was to use a rubber
glove to keep the bandage dry. It seems that everytime I changed the
bandage, it's time to shower!

I do not have scars from these cuts. Is this because the cut is so
perfect to begin with? No jagged edges or anything. It usually heals
very nicely.

And, Sarah, I did the foot thing too. Knock the cutter right off the
table onto the top of my foot -- Talk about hurt!

Beverly

Susan Allen wrote:

> > M Brown wrote:
> >

> > > i)What preventative measures do you take now to keep from cutting
> > > yourself again. I won't guarantee I'll be smarter next time:)
> >

> I know this is going to sound really stupid, but make sure you have a
> NICE and SHARP blade in your rotary cutter...HUH? Think about it - when
> the blade is a little bit dull, you tend to push it harder and slower
> and your ruler-holding hand has to work harder to keep the ruler from
> sliping from all the pressure you're using to get the cutter to actually
> cut. I find that that is when my appendages usually get in the way.
>
> Does this make sense to anybody but me?
>
> Susan in McKinney, TX

Cindy Swafford

May 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/16/97

sarah curry smith wrote:

> The
> only thing the quilters have to worry about, I think, is leaving some
> foreign material in the wound. If it bleeds, that isn't likely. If you
> WASH it, it's less likely ... and Peroxide (or plain old alcohol, which
> also HURTS, but works) also helps. Keep it covered until it's begun to
> "knit," (or scab), and then give it air.
> You'll be fine.

NO NO NO!! YOU MISSED THE POINT!!! What quilters need to worry about
most is, DID THEY GET BLOOD ON THE QUILT!!!

(vbg)

Good advice BTW. It's amazing how many wounds don't need medical care.

Cindy

Susan Allen

May 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/16/97

> M Brown wrote:
>

> > i)What preventative measures do you take now to keep from cutting
> > yourself again. I won't guarantee I'll be smarter next time:)

I know this is going to sound really stupid, but make sure you have a

the Baxters

May 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/17/97

Susan Allen <s-al...@ti.com> wrote in article <337CA...@ti.com>...

> > M Brown wrote:
> >

> > > i)What preventative measures do you take now to keep from cutting
> > > yourself again. I won't guarantee I'll be smarter next time:)
> >

> I know this is going to sound really stupid, but make sure you have a
> NICE and SHARP blade in your rotary cutter...HUH? Think about it - when
> the blade is a little bit dull, you tend to push it harder and slower
> and your ruler-holding hand has to work harder to keep the ruler from
> sliping from all the pressure you're using to get the cutter to actually
> cut. I find that that is when my appendages usually get in the way.
>
> Does this make sense to anybody but me?
>
> Susan in McKinney, TX

Makes sense to me. Isn't it a cook's saying that a dull knife is more
dangerous that a sharp one? Ought to apply to rotary cutters too. I cut
the tip of a finger when I first used a r.c. and never again. The really
dangerous thing in my quilting armory is my iron. My son "walked" into it
last fall and had a nasty, nasty burn that took some time to heal. He's
got a scar now and likes to tell his pals that his mother has a lethal
iron.

Gina, Seattle

sarah curry smith

May 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/17/97

Susan Allen wrote:

> > M Brown wrote:
> >

> > > i)What preventative measures do you take now to keep from cutting
> > > yourself again. I won't guarantee I'll be smarter next time:)
> >

> I know this is going to sound really stupid, but make sure you have a
> NICE and SHARP blade in your rotary cutter...HUH? Think about it - when
> the blade is a little bit dull, you tend to push it harder and slower
> and your ruler-holding hand has to work harder to keep the ruler from
> sliping from all the pressure you're using to get the cutter to actually
> cut. I find that that is when my appendages usually get in the way.
>
> Does this make sense to anybody but me?
>
> Susan in McKinney, TX

Absolutely, Susan -- and a clean, sharp blade will also make a "clean"
cut, not a raggedy one, and not one with gunk left in it.
Grins,
Sarah (who, by way of illustration, notes that a dull,
dirty "bob" on a "bob-wahr" fence WILL make a raggedy, rusty gash, and
and WILL leave a 5" scar, even 40+ years later ... last time _I_ ever
smarted off and tried to show a "towngirl" how to climb through a
barbed-wire fence :-) )

Alice

May 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/17/97

Beverly <bgqu...@VoyagerOnline.net> wrote:
: And, Sarah, I did the foot thing too. Knock the cutter right off the

: table onto the top of my foot -- Talk about hurt!

I have to admit I never even thought of this possibility. Last month
in my Dazzling Duds class a couple of the students neglected to use their
safety guard and were rightfully scolded (nicely) about it. She
explained how important it was to use the guards in a class situation
because people are constantly walking around and moving things.

I am barefoot all the time at home. I don't even want to think about
losing a toe.

--
Alice
mud...@primenet.com

Sharon Rutherford

May 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/19/97

When I sliced the end of my index finger a while back, DH said I
should paint my nails Emergency Yellow so I'd know where they were.
Sharon

On 14 May 1997 08:46:23 GMT, Helena.Su...@uku.fi (Helena
Suomalainen) wrote:

>>I sliced my left index finger with my rotary cutter. I went to an
>>Urgent Care facility, waited two hours, they bandaged me up and charged
>>$78 dollars. No stitches, just a whole roll of gauze. My finger looked

>>like a chicken drumstick:) Not much advice was given on caring for the

>>wound. I would like to hear, from others who have sliced their finger
>>with the gizmo, how everything knit back together. To get you thinking
>>I want to know things like:

The Cherrys

May 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/20/97

Sharon Rutherford wrote:

> When I sliced the end of my index finger a while back, DH said I
> should paint my nails Emergency Yellow so I'd know where they were.
> Sharon

ROTFLOL!

Nancy A. Owens

May 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/22/97

sarah curry smith <scu...@zianet.com> wrote in article
<337E5A...@zianet.com>...

<snip>

> Sarah (who, by way of illustration, notes that a dull,
> dirty "bob" on a "bob-wahr" fence WILL make a raggedy, rusty gash, and
> and WILL leave a 5" scar, even 40+ years later ... last time _I_ ever
> smarted off and tried to show a "towngirl" how to climb through a
> barbed-wire fence :-) )

Gee, guess I was lucky to have 'hot' wire for the education of 'city' kids.
Just make sure they are on the end of the handholding experience:)

sarah curry smith

May 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/27/97

Nah, I reckon it's just a difference in experience, period :-)
Grins,

SageofAges

May 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/28/97

<<snip>>>>

Gee and I thought this thread would go along with the day I dropped my
rotary cutter on my big toe...and the safety was not working :(

A guillotined artery and 6 stitches :(....how embarrassing.

Sage
Sage Backstrom

email: sageo...@aol.com http://www.infoplex.com
sa...@infoplex.com