Handpiecing ? is it OK to wax thread for handpiecing?

Gloria

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
Hi Everyone,
I just wondered if it's OK to wax the thread when handpiecing blocks? I do
use this for handquilting. My beeswax has just surfaced again so it reminded
me to ask.I know you guys will put me straight on this. Thanks in advance.
Have a great weekend everyone. The Daffodils are out in my garden it's a
lovely sunny albeit cold day but spring is in the air. Love and Big Hugs to
you all from Gloria in Essex UK

KateT.

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
I wax mine. Keeps the thread from knotting when you don't want it to.
Kate T.
South Mississippi
"Gloria" <ant...@cableinet.co.uk> wrote in message

Ellison

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
Howdy!
Never have waxed the thread. No problems
w/ knots.
Ragmop--- no brain=no worry ;-D

Kathy Riley

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
>> I just wondered if it's OK to wax the thread when handpiecing blocks? I do
>> use this for handquilting.

I used beeswax when I hand pieced my GFG. It did make the whip stitch easier
to do, and the thread did not tangle as much.

I would just be careful not to overwax the thread. You don't want all that
residue on your quilt.

Kathy
"Work like you don't need money, love like you've never been hurt....and dance
like no one's watching !"

Jane Leffler

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
Hello Gloria,

Have you ever tried "Thread Heaven?" It's a relatively new product (at least
for me). It comes in a very cute tiny blue box. You run your length of
thread through it, then run the thread through your fingers to remove any
excess. It is a silicone-based product that really does make the surface of
the thread a little slippery so there is less drag when it passes through
your fabric, and so less wear on your thread. It supposedly also 'charges'
the thread so that it repels itself and therefore will not knot readily. I
really like it for hand applique (don't do much hand piecing, but I'm sure
it would work great for that, too).

I tried using it for hand quilting, but the benefits for hand sewing turned
into problems for hand quilting. The stuff not only made the thread
slippery, but also made the needle AND my fingers slippery. Couldn't pull
the needle through the quilt! I do really love it for hand-sewing, though. I
got mine at my local fabric store (non-LQS). I think I've seen it in some of
the quilting catalogs, too.

No affiliation, etc...

Happy quilting!

Jane in Sanborn, NY

Gloria <ant...@cableinet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone,

> I just wondered if it's OK to wax the thread when handpiecing blocks? I do

> use this for handquilting...snip...

Gloria

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
Hi KateT,
Thanks for the advice it's apprecciated. I am always getting knots in the
thread so anything that helps with that will be great.Happy quilting and
have a great weekend love and hugs from Gloria in Essex UK
KateT. wrote in message <89qljb$psv$1...@news.datasync.com>...

>I wax mine. Keeps the thread from knotting when you don't want it to.
>Kate T.
>South Mississippi
>"Gloria" <ant...@cableinet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi Everyone,
>> I just wondered if it's OK to wax the thread when handpiecing blocks? I
do
>> use this for handquilting. My beeswax has just surfaced again so it
>reminded
>> me to ask.I know you guys will put me straight on this. Thanks in
advance.
>> Have a great weekend everyone. The Daffodils are out in my garden it's a
>> lovely sunny albeit cold day but spring is in the air. Love and Big Hugs

Judy Grevenites

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
Ever since I found wax (2o years ago) I've waxed every doggone piece of
thread I get my hands on!! I must rotate the needle a lot when I stitch
because after about 5 stitches the thread is twirling around itself and
tangling. When I use wax --no problem!! I even wax all my embroidery
thread. Judy G in IL.

A.Quilter

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
wax away kiddy---there are no Q.P.!!
Ellison <Elliso...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> Howdy!
> Never have waxed the thread. No problems
> w/ knots.
> Ragmop--- no brain=no worry ;-D

Gloria

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
Hi Ragmop,
You're lucky if your thread doesn't knot. Mine always does. I will try this
out today. Too tired last night.Have a good day Ragmop. Happy Quilting love
and hugs from Gloria in Essex UK

Gloria

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
Hi Judy,
Thanks for the advice. I'll also try it for the embroidery thread too. I'd
never thought of that before. That tangles worse than sewing thread with me.
I'm always cross with it. Do you wax the whole six strands before you
seperate them? I just wondered as I always have a problem with seperating
the strands. Sometimes it works and sometimes they tangle like made.
Anything that makes sewing easier is OK by me. I shall try this out thank
you. Happy quilting embroidering love and hugs from Gloria in Essex UK
Judy Grevenites wrote in message
<10960-38C...@storefull-625.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

Phyllis Andersen

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
When threading your needle, put the loose end from the spool through the eye
of the needle. Pull off the amount of thread you want, cut the thread and
knot the dangling end. This helps prevent a few tangles while you are
stitching. If you use it starting with the "cut" end, it tangles more.
Bigbearlady....passing on a tip from my friends

Ellison

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
Howdy!
You said it, Phyl. I also don't pull off more
than 15" of thread at a time; keeping the thread
a bit shorter helps to manage it; this also means
that if a piece comes un-sewn, it doesn't go very far.
I tried to use a piece of waxed thread when quilting
on a group quilt, and I just couldn't stand the wax.
It's a personal preference. ;-)
Ragmop
Phyllis Andersen <Bigbe...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

sarah curry

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
Ellison wrote:

> Howdy!
> You said it, Phyl. I also don't pull off more
> than 15" of thread at a time; keeping the thread
> a bit shorter helps to manage it; this also means
> that if a piece comes un-sewn, it doesn't go very far.
> I tried to use a piece of waxed thread when quilting
> on a group quilt, and I just couldn't stand the wax.
> It's a personal preference. ;-)
> Ragmop

As MSM is wont to say:

Long thread, lazy girl ...

I wouldn't have a clue, of course -- I don't handquilt!
Grins,
Sairey

Carolyn &/or Steve

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00

I scoffed at the idea that there was a wrong way and a right way to thread
the needle, until I tried it myself one day. (I'm great at that--I figure
these extra 20 pound I'm carrying are my words I've had to eat ;-D) I keep
a simple mnemonic running through my head as I thread my needle: "Knot the
new" (meaning, put my knot on the new end I just created by cutting it off
the spool).
Hope this helps too,
--
Carolyn in Harlingen, Texas, USA
Bass, Sweet Adelines Magic Valley Chorus, Region 10

Gloria <ant...@cableinet.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Ragmop,
> You're lucky if your thread doesn't knot. Mine always does. I will try
this
> out today. Too tired last night.Have a good day Ragmop. Happy Quilting

love
> and hugs from Gloria in Essex UK

Joyce in DE

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
Carolyn,

It's one end for the right handed and the opposite for the left
handed. I found it out in a course but always forget which way
it goes. Such a pleasant surprize when it really did make a
difference. Apparently it's something to do with the twist of
the thread.

Joyce in DE

In article <01bf86ee$16293140$b798fe3f@old>, "Carolyn &/or

Carolyn &/or Steve

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00

I'm right-handed. Does that help at all? :-) Never occurred to me that the
hand one sews with would make a difference, and I'm still not sure I
understand why it would (but then, as I've said, I tend to disbelieve half
of what I hear until I try it for myself).

--

Joyce in DE <hoopesjl...@msn.com.invalid> wrote:
> Carolyn,
> It's one end for the right handed and the opposite for the left
> handed. I found it out in a course but always forget which way
> it goes. Such a pleasant surprize when it really did make a
> difference. Apparently it's something to do with the twist of
> the thread.
> Joyce in DE

BVJ

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
Don't know if I learned this from this group or not but running the thread
through a dryer sheet helps a lot too. I thread the needle and take a stitch
through the sheet then knot the thread. I use this a lot when hand stitching.

Cheers, Faye in CO near Denver

Gloria

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
Hi Phyliss,
I have done that before but I forget sometimes. It does help though. I'm
having trouble threading the eye of the smaller needle I am using these days
and the longer it takes to thred the thread gets more and more frayed. I'll
try to remember to thread it before cutting it. Thanks for the advice Happy
Quilting hugs from Gloria in Essex UK

Gloria

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
Hi Carolyn,
Sometimes little sayings do help you remember things. I'll try to keep yours
in mind so I don't forget again.Tangles are annoying they really slow you
down. Happy Quilting Hugs from Gloria in Essex UK
Carolyn &/or Steve wrote in message <01bf86ee$16293140$b798fe3f@old>...

>I scoffed at the idea that there was a wrong way and a right way to thread
>the needle, until I tried it myself one day. (I'm great at that--I figure
>these extra 20 pound I'm carrying are my words I've had to eat ;-D) I keep
>a simple mnemonic running through my head as I thread my needle: "Knot the
>new" (meaning, put my knot on the new end I just created by cutting it off
>the spool).
> Hope this helps too,
>--
>Carolyn in Harlingen, Texas, USA
>Bass, Sweet Adelines Magic Valley Chorus, Region 10
>My home page:
>http://pages.prodigy.net/ledbottom
>RQ2 blocks:
>http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/7356/ruth.html

Susan Torrens

Mar 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/7/00
I was having trouble threading the small needles I use for applique, so I
purchased a needle threader - it has a white base and is mainly red in
colour. It holds the spool of thread. You place the needle, eye down in
the threading tube, push the lever, and your needle is threaded! <BG> One
of the great gadgets for ageing eyes....

--
Susan
I hate housework! You make the bed, you do the dishes--

LN in New England

Mar 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/7/00

I've noticed it doesn't matter if I run the thread between my fingernails to
straighten it just a bit. Otherwise it will tangle or spiral in my way.
(mostly near the end of the spool where it is wound tighter.)

LN
Carolyn &/or Steve <ledb...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

LN in New England

Mar 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/7/00

That's me! <G> Actually, I use a tip I heard on here. Double the length of
the thread you want to use. Then start in the middle of an area and pull the
thread half way thru. Let one side just lay there while you quilt with one
half the length, then knot off and turn your work to finish the other half.
This way you only have to knot off half as often.

LN

sarah curry <scu...@zianet.com> wrote in message

Virginia "Ginger" Grover

Mar 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/7/00
I was taught to do it this way, except instead of knotting, I just
insert the needle between the fabric layers and weave the thread through
the stitches I've created.

Jane Leffler

Mar 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/7/00
This tip would have come from me (tiny bit of horn-tooting here), as well as
no knots.

Jane in Sanborn, NY

LN in New England <lnsobs...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

Kathy Applebaum

Mar 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/10/00
Gloria <ant...@cableinet.co.uk> wrote:

> I just wondered if it's OK to wax the thread when handpiecing blocks?

I don't hand piece, but I just saw a demo of handpiecing, and the
demo-er waxed her thread.

--
Kathy Applebaum
Kayney Quilting (longarm machine quilting)

Judy Grevenites

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
Gloria asked about waxing embroidery thread. I separate the thread
first because waxing it makes the strands stick together. When you
separate the strands, you use your third hand.----Oh, you don't have
one? I'm sorry, I thought that everybody had at least one extra
hand--to go along with the eyes in the back of our heads to watch the
kids with.

Well, use your mouth instead. Separate the strands you want, clutch
them in your front teeth and use one hand to hold the other stands and
the other hand to untwist the thread as hand #1 pulls the strands apart.
Clear as mud? Thought so.

Tune in tomorrow when I explain how to train dust bunnies to retrieve
fallen spools of thread that roll under the bed.

That happy homemaker Judy G in IL

Suzie or Paul Beckwith

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00

Bloody 'ell its Martha Stewart re-incarnated...

Suzie B(what colour d'ya reckon she'll spray them...?)
--
Southend, UK
"You can always tell a quilter by the thread she wears..."

Danica Siefken Billingsly

Mar 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/11/00
> Have you ever tried "Thread Heaven?"

HEH. Had just read to the bottom of the thread thinking I'd have something
novel to post, but you beat me to it <grin>. I used beeswax for the first quilt
I hand-quilted, then tried some Thread Heaven about 2 mo. ago ... wouldn't go
back. I use a leather thimble, so the needle-grasping isn't a problem for me.
I've used it for applique and for hand-quilting, and it's been great either
way. I'm a SUPER twisty stitcher, so my thread does still tangle occasionally,
but with the T.H., it's waaaay easier to untangle (pull on one side & it slips
out from the mess). Standard disclaimer.

Danica in IL
Life is not a journey to the grave
with the intention of arriving safely in
one pretty and well preserved piece,
but to skid broadside, thoroughly used up,
worn out, and shouting GERONIMO!
Hunter S. Thompson

Jane Leffler

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
Hi Danica!

Nice to see that someone actually read my post...I sometimes get the feeling
that I must be invisible!

Thread Heaven is really a great invention, isn't it? And it's cute, too! It
does help with knot prevention, but I still need to just drop the needle and
thread and let it dangle from time to time to untwist itself.

Jane in Sanborn, NY

Danica Siefken Billingsly <mud...@wiu.edu> wrote in message

Linda, OH

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
Jane,

You're not invisible. I've never heard of "Thread Heaven". I'd like to see
some though since it is "cute". I have some beeswax, but it isn't to
beecoming.

Linda, OH

"Jane Leffler" <jele...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Jane Leffler

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
Hi Linda!

I purchased my little box of Thread Heaven at TSWLTH last year. It was in
their quilting gadgets section and only cost a couple of dollars (actually,
I think it was about $1.99 on sale). When I tried to purchase more to give
as gifts at Christmas, it had been moved to the general notions area, and I
got the last two containers. I haven't looked for it since, but I sure hope
they don't stop carrying it. I'm pretty sure I've seen it in some of the
catalogs (Clotilde's comes to mind). It's in a little (about 1" square, I
think) midnight blue box. You lift off the lid, hold your thread against the
'goo' with your thumb, and pull it through with your other hand. Very
simple. And it works! The thread becomes more 'slippery' and stays very
flexible and not stiff as it can sometimes get when using beeswax.

Happy quilting!

Jane in Sanborn, NY

Linda, OH <li...@in-touch.net> wrote in message

Linda, OH

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
Thanks Jane, I'll check it out next time I'm in the city.

Linda, OH

"Jane Leffler" <jele...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

drm...@mindspring.com

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
Just a note on Thread Heaven. This is silicone, which does not wash
out easily. I haven't used it myself, but I wonder what it will do to
the fabric long term?
Karen

Judy Fearn

Mar 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/17/00
Jane Leffler wrote:

> got the last two containers. I haven't looked for it since, but I sure hope
> they don't stop carrying it. I'm pretty sure I've seen it in some of the

You can find Thread Heaven in any bead store worth it's salt, too.
It's usually closer to $3 wherever I've seen it.

Judy in MN
beaders love it too