OK - I QUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not OT - stupid Baby Lock Quest Minus

Musicmaker

Nov 19, 2008, 9:10:42 PM11/19/08
I swear that the Baby Lock Quest Plus that they sent me "in exchange"
for that lemon Quest I had IS THE SAME
MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As long as I was piecing, or free
motioning on a thin wall quilt, which were the first 2 projects I
tackled, it seemed to work fine, though I did notice that the needle
threader caught and shredded the thread in THE SAME WAY THE OLD ONE
DID. Today I tried to free motion a larger, hug sized quilt and GUESS
WHAT?!?!?!? The stupid thing started skipping and the top thread
started breaking - Never more than a few minutes of quilting before
bamm - broken thread. changed threads. changed needles, changed
speeds. changed top tension. changed bottom tension. sometimes it
quilted for 5 minutes before the thread broke or skipped. I'm done.
with baby lock. I'm returning the machine. I'm demanding a refund.
Don't want to ever have anything to do with baby lock again. I refuse
to believe that I, of all the people in the world, CANNOT MACHINE
QUILT - having had lessons, classes, talked to the BL educator etc etc
etc. I'm not even disappointed - I'm just angry. Good thing I save
the letter for the President.

Musicmaker. period. end of discussion.

Bobbie Sews Moore

Nov 19, 2008, 10:00:35 PM11/19/08
So sorry you have had so many problems with Babylock!
Barbara in FL----I love my Pfaff

Polly Esther

Nov 19, 2008, 10:06:54 PM11/19/08
I just can hardly BELIEVE it! This goes way past organizing a pity party.
I think we ought to launch into a full-fledged rage! How dare they send
you a machine that was just as sorry as the first one? How dare they?
If the machine had been bought for $5 at a yard sale - that would be one
thing but as high as Babylock is priced ...this is just incredible.
It's been a while since we put your letter to the president together;
we'll need to edit it to demand a full refund. Their head on a platter may
be optional. Polly

"Musicmaker" <wrote>I swear that the Baby Lock Quest Plus that they sent me

Taria

Nov 19, 2008, 10:29:42 PM11/19/08
I'd like to see you loan the machine to someone that has a machine
that does work and test it out for you. I can't believe that you
would get another lemon. This stinks. I have sworn off Janome
after the problems with the 6600 and the company's lack of help.
Do keep us updated on the mess.
Taria

Musicmaker

Nov 20, 2008, 6:56:58 AM11/20/08
I wish I could, Taria. The nearest dealer, who has been very helpful
in working as a mediator between me and BL, had never even seen a
quest until I brought mine in. There is an example of one of the few
disadvantages to living in rural midwest. I'm returning it, and
editing the letter as Polly has suggested. I believe that this is the
same machine. 3 reasons.
1st - it's doing exactly the same thing as the other one
2nd- I kept one of the screwdrivers that came with the original quest
cause it was so short and useful. The new machine came missing the
short screwdriver.
3rd, - the manuals are the same as came with the original.

I know a little bit about how appliances are replaced - the
replacement comes off the shelf, complete with all the extras that go
with it - they don't unpack the new one, trade the manuals, remove a
screwdriver, repack it and send it out.

I believe they only tuned up the original, slapped some pretty new
stickers on it that say plus, and gave it back to me.

Musicmaker

Lizzy Taylor

Nov 20, 2008, 7:00:56 AM11/20/08

I must say it smells bad from here. Did any of the documentation you
kept have a serial number for the machine itself (rather than the model
number) on it? That way you could compare with the one in your hands.

Lizzy

IMS

Nov 20, 2008, 7:17:06 AM11/20/08
Rats, and double rats! I am so sorry to hear the' new' machine isn't
working properly. How very, very frustrating and disapointing.

-Irene

Kate XXXXXX

Nov 20, 2008, 7:59:27 AM11/20/08

Yes, do that if you can. Good luck!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Musicmaker

Nov 20, 2008, 8:41:59 AM11/20/08

> I must say it smells bad from here.  Did any of the documentation you
> kept have a serial number for the machine itself (rather than the model
> number) on it?  That way you could compare with the one in your hands.

Lizzy - thanks for that suggestion - I checked - and the serial number
is different
so my theory is incorrect - either the quest is not compatible with me
- or they need to go into the lemonade business.

Musicmaker

Kate G.

Nov 20, 2008, 8:47:39 AM11/20/08
I'm so sorry you are experiencing this once again! GRRRR.... I know
nothing about Baby Locks... and I'm a terrible free-motion quilter, so I
can't offer any advice. But I can send a gentle {{HUG}}.

--
Kate in MI

"Musicmaker" <bett...@consolidated.net> wrote in message

Taria

Nov 20, 2008, 9:23:25 AM11/20/08
I didn't mean you literally meant the same exact machine. Should
have a serial number that may be on your original receipt or paperwork.
Something is bad here beyond the sewing machine. I really am sorry.
This stinks.
A BRother 1500 or the Juki TL98 are both great larger
harp machines that quilt well. Lots of gals here have those and they
serve real well. Since they are ss only they should be easy to
service.
Taria

Butterflywings

Nov 20, 2008, 9:54:21 AM11/20/08
Oh, Musicmaker. I had such hopes for you to be sewing up a storm before
Christmas.
I sure hope the President KNOWS we all are watching the outcome.

Butterfly (I feel like they pricked our proverbial balloon on this)

"Musicmaker" <bett...@consolidated.net> wrote in message

Musicmaker

Nov 20, 2008, 9:58:02 AM11/20/08
To any quest owners - I'd be willing to pay the shipping both ways to
have someone else evaluate my machine. Since it is POSSIBLE that I'm
doing something wrong - I NEED TO KNOW. Are there ANY quest owners
(who have no troubles with their quest) who'd be willing to give my
quest plus a real work out, free motion quilting on a bed quilt?

Musicmaker, delaying the tantrum

Musicmaker

Nov 20, 2008, 10:00:46 AM11/20/08
ps - I really appreciate the way you all jump on my side with such
sympathy, assuming that I know what I'm doing and it must be the
machine's fault. I'd like to believe that that's the case, but this
morning I'm acknowledging that there is a likelihood that I'm to
blame.

Musicmaker

@mchsi.com Karen, Queen of Squishies

Nov 20, 2008, 10:11:00 AM11/20/08
It's not a matter of blame here. IF IF IF it is you and not the machine,
it is not a matter of blame, it is a matter of style. Maybe this machine
does not suit your style.

BUT - no matter what is going on - there is nothing for you take blame for.
Period.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Sandy

Nov 20, 2008, 12:15:13 PM11/20/08
In article
<631545a0-f3e4-40a1...@w35g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
Musicmaker <bett...@consolidated.net> wrote:

Oh, Musicmaker -- how awful for you! I'm so sorry you've had such a
terrible time with what should have been a wonderful new tool.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net

Roberta

Nov 20, 2008, 12:33:59 PM11/20/08
Aaack! What a disappointment! You are right to be angry. You've bent
over backwards to make this work, and now it'S time to look at another
brand!
Roberta in D

Pauline

Nov 20, 2008, 1:59:20 PM11/20/08
Send the gators after BL Polly! That'll teach them!

Pauline
Northern California

"Polly Esther" <bhma...@cableone.net> wrote in message

Anne Rogers

Nov 20, 2008, 4:59:55 PM11/20/08

> Lizzy - thanks for that suggestion - I checked - and the serial number
> is different
> so my theory is incorrect - either the quest is not compatible with me
> - or they need to go into the lemonade business.

how about gently scratching the machine in a a few places - just normal
wear and tear scratches, my 10 months old machine certainly has a few.
Take photos and write them all down. You could also try and put a tiny
blob of nail varnish somewhere hidden too. I think they really should
give you a refund, but let's face it replacement is way more likely, so
I'd do these things send the letter than demands a return, but be
prepared that they may not do that and at least you'll have back up to
determine if it's the same machine or not.

I've been so lucky with my similar problems, you're right about how they
replace just the machine part but as I did it via the shop I bought
from, I took the machine in only once they had the machine to replace it
with and had both of them within sight during the exchange - they also
gave me a 50 dollar gift card for the store, I'm going to be sticking
with this dealership!

Cheers
Anne

Anne Rogers

Nov 20, 2008, 5:03:05 PM11/20/08
Karen, Queen of Squishies wrote:
> It's not a matter of blame here. IF IF IF it is you and not the machine,
> it is not a matter of blame, it is a matter of style. Maybe this machine
> does not suit your style.

I think she managed to get some time on one in a shop whilst these
problems were going on? Maybe I misremembered - I have a lot of sympathy
as it's the exact same problem I had with my Brother QC1000, skips
stitches, makes a funny noise, then something suddenly shreds the top
thread, but it was definitely the machine, as I'm a happy owner of the
replacement and have done plenty of quilting and embroidery with
different weight threads.

Good Luck, Musicmaker.

Cheers
Anne

Musicmaker

Nov 21, 2008, 4:09:07 PM11/21/08
The dilemna I face is this - the new machine is so much better in many
ways - when I free motion quilt a small quilt, like a wall hanging -
it works like a dream. When I piece with feed dogs up, it works great
- the old quest didn't - so that's a big improvement. BUT - when I
put a bed sized quilt in it, broken threads and skipped stitches - and
I know it's not my technique because I got out my faithful little
mechanical Bernina and finished the quilt my Quest couldn't do. Maybe
my Bernina is just compatible with me and the Quest isn't. I know
there are people using the Quest who love it.

anyone want to buy a brand new Quest Plus at 30% off retail?

Musicmaker

Pauline

Nov 21, 2008, 4:51:07 PM11/21/08
You're not giving up are you Musicmaker? I know it's very inconvenient for
you, but could you bring the quilt you are not able to quilt on the Quest to
your dealer & demonstrate for them how you are doing it? And maybe they
could show you how they would do it & see if you both fail? If you can free
motion a small quilt, IMNSHO, you should be able to quilt a bed sized quilt
on it. Maybe there is something quirky about the BL that nobody has thought
to tell you? I feel for you; I know this has been extremely frustrating!

Pauline
Northern California

"Musicmaker" <bett...@consolidated.net> wrote in message

Polly Esther

Nov 21, 2008, 6:52:10 PM11/21/08
Here's what BabyLock brags about the Quest Plus:

<<Discover all of the quilting features you've been searching for with
the Quest Plus. As a part of the Quilter's Dream Series, this advanced
quilting machine offers 363 built-in stitches and the patented Precision
Dual-Feed QuiltingT (PDQ), a built-in, dual-feed system. Plus, with 15
accessory feet, you can accomplish any project.>>

Selling your BabyLock lemon for 30% off is just not going to do. We want
your money back. Period.

It's so good that you were able to complete your quilt on your trusty old
Bernina. That says a lot. First it should bolster your confidence that You
are not the problem. This is probably not a good time or place to mention
that nothing sews like a Bernina - but I Am a Berniniac. Polly

WitchyStitcher

Nov 21, 2008, 7:21:07 PM11/21/08
Are you setting the stitch length to the longest. I know that it was
necessary to do that on the computerized machines because of how they
feed the thread.

Just a thought.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Gen

Nov 21, 2008, 9:00:26 PM11/21/08
I don't understand this statement. I have 3 computerized machines,
including the Quest, and when I free motion, all I do is drop the feed dogs,
put on the free motion foot and get to work I've never fooled with the
stitch length on any of them, because the length is controlled by the
quilter!
Polly, I know you love your Berninas, but for me, I'll never allow one of
those things through my door. I've tried several and hated them all. It's
a very good thing we don't all like the same thing.
Gen

"WitchyStitcher" <someo...@somewhere.com> wrote in message

Polly Esther

Nov 21, 2008, 9:30:11 PM11/21/08
Oh sure, I know that. Berninas are a little persnickity but somehow we go
together like turkey and dressing. Speaking of - I asked DH if he'd like
coconut pie or pecan pie for our feast. Poor man. That was about 3 hours
ago and still no answer. If I cook both, he'll have to make a decision
every meal. My little mama (who took pie baking to a new level) simply gave
him a little slice of all of them. She realized he couldn't make hasty
decisions. Polly

"Gen" <wrote>I don't understand this statement. I have 3 computerized

Taria

Nov 21, 2008, 9:44:29 PM11/21/08
I wouldn't compare any of my other machines to my old Bernina 930.
IMO no machine will ever beat it. I just can't take the small harp
area on it for MQ'ing though. I have done a couple of very large
quilts on it in the past but it is too much of a struggle. There
is certainly right fit with sewing machines. Sure is rotten when
we get one we don't like. I had a car a few years ago that was
really nice. I hated that thing for no particle reason other than
it just never seemed quite right for me. I drove it 8 years but
I griped most of those. It just happens somethimes.

My aunt always wanted a taste of every dessert on the table at
holidays. We call that 'Auntie Vera' style dessert and remember her
fondly. I think pecan is about the only pie I don't care for and coconut
cream is my favorite. I know what my choice would be there easily.
Enjoy Mr. Esther.
Taria

Kate XXXXXX

Nov 22, 2008, 7:04:52 AM11/22/08
Polly Esther wrote:
> Oh sure, I know that. Berninas are a little persnickity but somehow we go
> together like turkey and dressing. Speaking of - I asked DH if he'd like
> coconut pie or pecan pie for our feast. Poor man. That was about 3 hours
> ago and still no answer. If I cook both, he'll have to make a decision
> every meal. My little mama (who took pie baking to a new level) simply gave
> him a little slice of all of them. She realized he couldn't make hasty
> decisions. Polly

Make a load of 'petty 4's'* size ones of both flavours. Fun, and he can
have whatever whnever, AND they look good.

* liked this brat way out of forgetting how to spell it so much I have
adopted it.

Musicmaker

Nov 22, 2008, 11:15:17 AM11/22/08
On Nov 21, 3:51 pm, "Pauline" <poco...@nospanpacbell.net> wrote:
> You're not giving up are you Musicmaker?  I know it's very inconvenient for
> you, but could you bring the quilt you are not able to quilt on the Quest to
> your dealer & demonstrate for them how you are doing it?  And maybe they
> could show you how they would do it & see if you both fail?  If you can free
> motion a small quilt, IMNSHO, you should be able to quilt a bed sized quilt
> on it.  Maybe there is something quirky about the BL that nobody has thought
> to tell you?  I feel for you; I know this has been extremely frustrating!
>
> Pauline
> Northern California
Pauline, I finished the quilt on my Bernina mechanical. No one at the
dealer has free motion experience. Since I've already proven that I
CAN free motion, and I've talked specifically on the phone with the BL
educatores, and have quilted side by side at the dealer once - it's
just more than I can do at this point. Kind of the way, after
fighting a battle for months on end, you kind of decide it's not worth
it any more. I'm still writing to the Pres, and if he won't refund my
money or make this right, I'll auction it off on ebay and maybe it'll
find a compatible owner.

Musicmaker

Nov 22, 2008, 11:16:15 AM11/22/08
On Nov 21, 6:21 pm, WitchyStitcher <someone...@somewhere.com> wrote:
> Are you setting the stitch length to the longest. I know that it was
> necessary to do that on the computerized machines because of how they
> feed the thread.

Linda - yes - that's something the BL educator told me so I do it all
the time, even on my Bernina, now.

Musicmaker

Musicmaker

Nov 22, 2008, 11:18:50 AM11/22/08
On Nov 21, 8:00 pm, "Gen" <Donovanhender...@msn.com> wrote:
> I don't understand this statement.  I have 3 computerized machines,
> including the Quest, and when I free motion, all I do is drop the feed dogs,
> put on the free motion foot and get to work I've never fooled with the
> stitch length on any of them, because the length is controlled by the
> quilter!
> Polly, I know you love your Berninas, but for me, I'll never allow one of
> those things through my door.  I've tried several and hated them all.  It's
> a very good thing we don't all like the same thing.
> Gen
Gen, perhaps you're compatible with BL and not Bernina, and I'm the
opposite. I'm starting to think that it could possibly be a
compatibility issue, though I still believe it's more likely that BL
bit off more than it can chew and the Quests that work are the
exception ad not the rule.

Musicmaker. thinking that it's too bad you already have your Quest!

Musicmaker

Nov 22, 2008, 11:33:04 AM11/22/08
Well, will wonders never cease? I just got the following email from
someone experiencing identical problems!.......

"Hi! I am so very glad to have stumbled across this site. I purchased
a Baby Lock Quest a few months ago and am having the EXACT SAME
problems that you are. I am so frustrated I feel like crying. Same
thing as you--when I try to free motion on a large quilt the thread
constantly breaks. I'm using King Tut 3-ply, the recommended 90/14
topstitch needles, the tension is good, I do EVERYTHING the way 'm
supposed to, and nothing works. My husband or I or both of us have
been to the dealer WEEKLY, and they are no help. nice, but no help.
We have printed out this discussion board and are taking it today to
the dealer and demanding our money back, but I seriously doubt they'll
do it. Which leaves me with a $1500 machine tht I can't use. I NEVER
want to see another Baby Lock machine for the rest of my life. I have
finished a few quilts with it, and when I look at all of the little
knots where I've had to tie off the broken thread it looks like the
stars in the sky. I'm so sad. We are hard working people, who don't
have money for another new machine to replace this one. ~ piecelove"

Musicmaker

Sandy

Nov 22, 2008, 2:50:57 PM11/22/08
In article <6oovtaF...@mid.individual.net>,
"Polly Esther" <bhma...@cableone.net> wrote:

> It's so good that you were able to complete your quilt on your trusty old
> Bernina. That says a lot. First it should bolster your confidence that You
> are not the problem. This is probably not a good time or place to mention
> that nothing sews like a Bernina - but I Am a Berniniac. Polly

Polly, I'm with you. <G> I love my Bernina, and I've loved the ones I
had before this one. I do know, though, that not everyone shares this
opinion and that it's a very good thing that there are other brands out
there -- imagine the price of the "only" brand available!

Musicmaker, I really feel for you. I had an awful sewing machine at one
point (not a Bernina, not a BL), and it was such a relief to finally be
rid of it. I traded it in on something better, even though trade-ins
don't really get much.

Polly Esther

Nov 22, 2008, 3:37:26 PM11/22/08
That just breaks my heart. I hope we've been able to encourage her too.
Polly

"Musicmaker" <wrote> Well, will wonders never cease? I just got the

Polly Esther

Nov 22, 2008, 3:41:28 PM11/22/08
I haven't stitched on every computerized SM - but have put a lot of miles on
Pfaff, Bernina, and Viking. None of them gave a happy hoot what stitch
length setting I used if the feed dogs were dropped. Polly

juliasb

Nov 24, 2008, 12:06:56 PM11/24/08
On Nov 19, 9:10 pm, Musicmaker <bettin...@consolidated.net> wrote:
> I swear that the Baby Lock Quest Plus that they sent me "in exchange"
> for that lemon Quest I had IS THE SAME
> MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  As long as I was piecing, or free
> motioning on a thin wall quilt, which were the first 2 projects I
> tackled, it seemed to work fine, though I did notice that the needle
> threader caught and shredded the thread in THE SAME WAY THE OLD ONE
> DID.  Today I tried to free motion a larger, hug sized quilt and GUESS
> WHAT?!?!?!?  The stupid thing started skipping and the top thread
> started breaking - Never more than a few minutes of quilting before
> bamm - broken thread.  changed threads.  changed needles,  changed
> speeds.  changed top tension.  changed bottom tension.  sometimes it
> quilted for 5 minutes before the thread broke or skipped.  I'm done.
> with baby lock.  I'm returning the machine.  I'm demanding a refund.
> Don't want to ever have anything to do with baby lock again.  I refuse
> to believe that I, of all the people in the world, CANNOT MACHINE
> QUILT - having had lessons, classes, talked to the BL educator etc etc
> etc.  I'm not even disappointed - I'm just angry.  Good thing I save
> the letter for the President.
>
> Musicmaker. period.  end of discussion.

What a nightmare! You expect more when you are using a machine that
has a name that is a quality brand. I hope you will be able to get a
full refund. Keep us posted.
julia

Alice in PA

Nov 24, 2008, 5:28:57 PM11/24/08
Musicmaker,
I was out of town for awhile to attend a my MIL's funeral. Just got back
and read this message. I was hoping that all your troubles were behind you!

I keep thinking "How did I get so lucky with my Quest?". I even FM-quilted
three baby quilts (to be donated) a couple weeks ago. I used cheap, Coats
and Clark varigated thread and puffy, polyester batting that someone had
given me!! No problems!

I could volunteer to try out your machine, but what would that prove? It
still wouldn't work for you, and you'd have to invest more $$$$$ in the
postage and shipping! You wouldn't be the first one to trade in your
machine on something else. I guess we all have to find the machine that
we're comfortable with. I'm just so sorry you've had such a rough time, and
hope that trouble doesn't lay ahead for me.
--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Musicmaker

Nov 25, 2008, 8:34:50 AM11/25/08
On Nov 24, 4:28 pm, "Alice in PA" <happyquil...@scrapcontrol.com>
wrote:

> Musicmaker,
> I was out of town for awhile to attend a my MIL's funeral.  Just got back
> and read this message.  I was hoping that all your troubles were behind you!
>
> I keep thinking "How did I get so lucky with my Quest?".  I even FM-quilted
> three baby quilts (to be donated) a couple weeks ago.  I used cheap, Coats
> and Clark varigated thread and puffy, polyester batting that someone had
> given me!! No problems!
>
> I could volunteer to try out your machine, but what would that prove?  It
> still wouldn't work for you, and you'd have to invest more $$$$$ in the
> postage and shipping!  You wouldn't be the first one to trade in your
> machine on something else. I guess we all have to find the machine that
> we're comfortable with.  I'm just so sorry you've had such a rough time, and
> hope that trouble doesn't lay ahead for me.
> --
> Alice in PAhttp://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu"Musicmaker" <bettin...@consolidated.net> wrote in message

Alice - I'm wondering if you've ever free motion quilted a bed sized
quilt on your quest? At least a double? That's the only time I have
troubles with the new Quest Plus I have. I can free motion a smaller
quilt no problems, but have to rely on the Bernina with the much
smaller harp to do the larger quilts - which is retarded. I've sent
off a letter to the President. In the meantime, before I give up on
the quest plus, the next bed sized quilt I have I'll put on the Flynn
frame and see if the regulated tension makes a dif.

Musicmaker

Maureen Wozniak

Nov 25, 2008, 8:54:26 AM11/25/08
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 07:34:50 -0600, Musicmaker wrote
(in article
<b64ddcfb-abfd-4559...@x38g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>):

> Alice - I'm wondering if you've ever free motion quilted a bed sized
> quilt on your quest? At least a double? That's the only time I have
> troubles with the new Quest Plus I have. I can free motion a smaller
> quilt no problems, but have to rely on the Bernina with the much
> smaller harp to do the larger quilts - which is retarded. I've sent
> off a letter to the President. In the meantime, before I give up on
> the quest plus, the next bed sized quilt I have I'll put on the Flynn
> frame and see if the regulated tension makes a dif.
>
> Musicmaker

The more and more I think about this, the more it seems to me you may be
tugging on the larger quilt in a way you don't with a smaller one. A double
quilt is heavy when you're trying to wrestle it through a machine. Maybe
it's getting hung up on the edge the table or something. Is setting the
machine on a larger table something you could try?

Maureen

Musicmaker

Nov 25, 2008, 11:54:29 AM11/25/08
On Nov 25, 7:54 am, Maureen Wozniak <mw...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 07:34:50 -0600, Musicmaker wrote
> (in article
> <b64ddcfb-abfd-4559-8002-f0f96779a...@x38g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>):

I thought of that too, Maureen - I had the bed quilt all on top of the
koala cabinet, where nothing was hanging over the edge and I did
everything I knew to keep it from being too bunched or too tight -
nothing helped. The fact that another quilter has contacted me about
the same problems, and she's also fairly experienced, tells me that
the machine is the problem.
Musicmaker

Polly Esther

Nov 25, 2008, 2:54:14 PM11/25/08
I'm trying to be reasonable with this Quest thing - but I'm not seeing where
a heavier quilt would cause the specific problems that Cindy is enduring.
A heavy quilt certainly could cause bogged down short stitches, it could
cause long jerky-looking ones. Heaving around a big quilt on the SM could
cause bent needles and aching shoulders. Yes. Those problems.
Breaking and shredding thread? and skipping stitches? No. I just
don't think so.
It would make me very happy if Cindy could ship that Quest to Alice to
see if Alice has a happy quilting time with it. Oh my, yes, it would.
Polly

"Musicmaker" <bett...@consolidated.net> wrote in message

Alice in PA

Nov 25, 2008, 7:10:58 PM11/25/08
I have quilted a queen sized quilt on it....no problems. I did have trouble
with one brand of heavier thread once, and in desparation stuck in a size 16
Singer needle....that solved the shredding, breaking problem in that
instance.

I really don't think I want to see this machine.......as I mentioned before,
if I could use it....what would that prove? Musicmaker still wouldn't be
happy with it. I think she needs to find a machine that suits her, and
works well for her.

Wishing I had time to use my machine....but way too busy cleaning house,
decorating, and cooking for Thanksgiving.

"Polly Esther" <bhma...@cableone.net> wrote in message

Carole-Retired and Loving It

Nov 25, 2008, 8:20:24 PM11/25/08
Well, that same thing (shredding thread, unexpected "nests," skipped
tension, and skipping stitches) started happening just as I was
finishing the free-motion quilting on the BOM on my Elna Quilter's
Dream and I was going NUTS! It turned out to be my darning foot. It
had developed a crack and was slightly bent and was doing BAD, BAD
things, but I didn't know it until it actually snapped in half. I had
a spare, thank goodness, and when I put it on, all the shredding
thread and skipped stitches stopped! What a relief.

Maureen Wozniak

Nov 26, 2008, 8:45:43 AM11/26/08
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 10:54:29 -0600, Musicmaker wrote
(in article
<ca205500-e84a-445c...@x38g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>):

> I thought of that too, Maureen - I had the bed quilt all on top of the
> koala cabinet, where nothing was hanging over the edge and I did
> everything I knew to keep it from being too bunched or too tight -
> nothing helped. The fact that another quilter has contacted me about
> the same problems, and she's also fairly experienced, tells me that
> the machine is the problem.
> Musicmaker

That does seem to settle it doesn't it?

Maureen

Musicmaker

Nov 26, 2008, 9:46:48 AM11/26/08
Carole, thanks for the idea - unfortunately, I've had the same
problems with 2 brand new machines that came with brand new
attachments. The 'darning' foot ain't broke. sigh. Musicmaker

Gen

Nov 26, 2008, 1:27:31 PM11/26/08
As promised, I called my dealer today. He's been a Babylock dealer for
years. He has no idea why you're having so much trouble, but did offer 2
suggestions to try. If you're using the knee lift, try taking it off when
quilting. He's known of people who bump it without even knowing it, which
will cause the problem you're having. As for setting the length the longest
it will go, this has absolutely nothing to do with the tension, if you have
the feed dogs down. However, he knows of several people that free motion by
setting the long stitch length and leaving the feed dogs up. If these
suggestion don't work, he's out of ideas.
Gen

"Musicmaker" <bett...@consolidated.net> wrote in message

DiMa

Dec 3, 2008, 8:46:12 PM12/3/08
Have you heard back from the BLQP President re your letter?

Still praying that you get 'another machine that works' or your money
refunded in full - keep at them, there are a lot of quilters around here who
have read this thread.

Di

jeanne-nzlstar*

Dec 3, 2008, 9:09:46 PM12/3/08
more folks have followed this story with interest than they realize i
suspect.
they really need to get this right, a full refund or a machine that works as
it is supposed to.
j.

"DiMa" wrote...

Have you heard back from the BLQP President re your letter?

Still praying that you get 'another machine that works' or your money
refunded in full - keep at them, there are a lot of quilters around here who
have read this thread.
Di

"Musicmaker" wrote...

JPgirl

Dec 4, 2008, 1:52:31 PM12/4/08
Re : setting stitch length for free motion quilting.

As an owner of a computerized babylock machine I will say that, with
me anyway, that the stitch length DOES matter.
When I first learned to free motion all the instructions I read said
to set the length to zero drop the dogs and quilt.
That only served to make a mess of the test piece that I was using.
Now I do not own a quest and I have occasionally had problems with
needles breaking while free motion quilting but they were likely my
fault.
I have found that if my stitch length is not set to 3.0 or 3.5 ( I
can't remember which now, it has been SO long since I had a chance to
finish a quilt the required free motion quilting) the tension is all
off and it makes a mess.
Now, set it to the right setting and it free motion quilts like a
dream, in fact it is the only machine I will free motion quilt on
because it is so effortless.
I wish it had a larger throat though :) I have a tendency to do only
BIG quilts.
Mine is a babylock esante (the older one, not the new one).

Musicmaker

Dec 4, 2008, 4:33:21 PM12/4/08
I have several kind of blah quilt tops I got on ebay - I'll try each
of the stitch lengths (default doesn't work, nor does length 5, which
the babylock educator said to try) with the quest (yes - I sent a
letter to the president - no I didn't get a response) as well as
setting one up on the Flyn frame to see if the tension of the layers
has anything to do with it.

Musicmaker

lindaj...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2020, 2:34:54 AM4/27/20
I have used my Babylock QUEST for quilting a double sized quilt free motion with no problem. I took it into the dealer and she showed me a START\STOP button I never noticed before. lol. It is located right next to the tension knob. I disengage the foot pedal and push the button to start and stop the machine so I don't have to coordinate the foot pedal with the free motion quilting. I use the start stop button. Took me forever to find and use this button. Good luck and happy quilting.

Irene in CNY

May 13, 2020, 11:38:39 AM5/13/20

That just stinks. You have been through enough and deserve a full refund. These machines are not cheap, I have one. You should full expect to get your money's worth especially since you can't free motion quilt and it's promoted as a 'Quilters Dream' edition machine. Good luck and keep us posted.