Orvus versus Ivory Liquid soap

Cynthia

Jul 21, 2001, 6:15:45 PM7/21/01
Since starting to read this group, it appears that a lot of people use Orvus to
clean their pieces when they are finished. Since I have actually started
stitching again (instead of just organizing everything), I noticed that most of
my old patterns (from the 80s) recommend using Ivory liquid soap to wash
needlework. Any reasons for choosing one over the other?

--
Cynthia

Hardanger5

Jul 22, 2001, 11:48:19 AM7/22/01
Hi Cynthia:

The reason Orvus was use on needlework,quilts and other fine linens is because
it contained no bleach, dyes or fillers.
Long ago Ivory soap flakes were also used for that same reason.

The rule of thumb that I use is:
1. read the lable and if it contains :
a. bleach
b. colorant or dye
c. Fillers

I won't use it. I've seen one too many needlework project have the tint of
Dawn or Joy left in the fabric no matter how many times you rinse it. And I've
seen regular cotton floss with tiny sparkles from the fillers. And finally
I've seen dark colors that were rinsed and color set befor stitching bleached
out to a couple of shades lighter from the bleach in some of the "fine fabric"
cold water soaps.

HTH
Dors

Eterna Silk[tm]

Jul 22, 2001, 4:39:49 PM7/22/01
Hello!

Orvus is a detergent, which contains nothing else--no dyes, no softeners, no
'whiteners', no perfumes. It's pure and its concentrated, too. Usually
available at pet stores or feed stores. If you have difficulty obtaining
Orvus, also try a quilt shop--some have re-packaged the Orvus into smaller
sizes. When cold, it thickens into a white paste. When warm, it liquifies.
Either condition is fine for usage.

Ivory Soap Flakes, if available in your area, is also a pure soap,
containing no dyes, softeners, 'whiteners, or perfumes.

Anything else will likely contain dyes, 'whiteners', perfumes, or other
not-so-good-things for your needlework. Ivory Liquid Soap is not the same as
Ivory Soap Flakes--the former is liquid, for dishwashing (thing of the
grease-cutters working on your threads!) the latter is a pure dry soap.

We recommend either Orvus or Ivory Soap Flakes for our silk threads for
pre-washing only (if you haven't pre-washed our threads before stitching, we
do NOT recommend washing your finished work--'dry' dry clean only, with an
experienced dry cleaner).

Woolite[tm] is NOT RECOMMENDED. DMC[tm] also states in their color cards DO
NOT USE WOOLITE[tm]. It will bleed and run your colors, practically
guaranteed.

By the way, we use Orvus here for all of our silk thread preparation, before
dyeing. It is the best.

Hope you find this information useful,
-Peri

"Cynthia" <cyn...@ATYahoo.com> wrote in message

Cynthia

Jul 22, 2001, 6:16:27 PM7/22/01
Thanks everyone for the info! Luckily I have a feed store near me so I can
check out Orvus. I haven't seen Ivory Soap flakes in years.

Cynthia

"Eterna Silk[tm]" <ete...@yodamo.com.nospam> wrote in message

Terri England

Jul 31, 2001, 1:11:59 PM7/31/01
I know this is an old topic with all of you. But I just had to reply. I am
new to this list but I am on many other lists and have always enjoyed
knowing what people use to wash their work. Well I have to say that I am
also an avid Orvus user now more than ever. I was sitting outside stitching
and had gotten pop on my white evenweave while I was stitching Fairy
Grandmother and I noticed it and ran in the house and out came the orvus I
put it on the spot then rinsed it out and presto it's gone lol. It is
definitely a wonderful thing
Terri

--
Terri England