A Question About Needlepoint

Suzanne

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

Hello,
I have a question about needlepoint kits. I recently sent away for
a catalog from Elizabeth Bradley. While I am normally a cross stitcher, I
have an interest in taking up needlepoint as a hobby. I have seen some
nice kits at Michael's for $50 and under. This seemed reasonable to me
since the kits contain canvas, yarn, etc. In my new Elizabeth Bradley
catalog, I fell in love with "The Beasts Of The Field" series, especially
"The Gloucester Old Spot" and "Two Fat Suffolk Lambs". Each of the four
kits in this series retails at $195. I spoke to a city shop an hour away
from me, and inquired on why the price was seemingly so high. They stated
the kits were all the way from the UK, One of a kind, and the canvases were
silk screened, not hand painted.
Would anyone know why the great price disparity between the over the
counter kits at Michael's, and the Elizabeth Bradley kits exist? I do not
mean to sound cheap, only that I was wondering if this is quite a large
price to pay for a needlepoint kit or not.
Awaiting your comments.
. Mrs. Suzanne Elizabeth Root .

ERivera308

Oct 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/9/97

Hi Suzanne

I have been a needlepointer for about thirty years and needlepoint is not
cheap. If you want a nice design and well printed or handpainted it will
cost. Elizabeth Bradley, Beth Russell, Kaffe Fassett, etc. are all expensive.
They are imported from England, they are busy (design wise) and 100% wool is
supplied.

Handpainted designs are also expensive because either the designer herself or
someone else sits down and paints by hand box by box the design that you see.
The more intricate the design, the more its cost. When you work on a
handpainted design there is no guess work. You know where each stitch goes.
It is a pleasure working on a handpainted design. Also you have to buy the
wool separately. Handpainted designs do not come in kits. The ones I have
gotten have not been in kit form. More care is taken in a handpainted design.

I have also work with kits. Some are good and some are not so good. These are
stamped and at times the design is quite right when stamped. Also you are
not going to get the high quality wool

If you have never done needlepoint, get an inexpensive kit to work on before
you spend a lot of money on an expensive design. Sort of a practice piece.
Also get it in your neighborhood needlework shop just in case you need help
you can go to the shop for help. Theyare more than willing to help you.in a
pinch. Start with the continental stitch then work your way to the
basketweave stitch. When you have mastered the basketweave stitch you will
not go back to the continental stitch. :-)

Hope I have answered some of your questions.

Happy Stitching :-)

EdithNYC

Caroline Marold

Oct 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/9/97

Hi Suzanne:
Most of the needlepoint kits that cost around $30 for everything: canvas, and
wool are of poor quality. Even if you get lucky and they have given you a 3
stranded wool of good quality, the canvas will not be quality. It will be
made mostly of starch. A needlepoint shop usually carries plain canvas which
looks like one thread crossing under and over another thread. These one
threads are actually several threads [used to be a min. of 7 -- some of you
with better memories help me here] wrapped together. The kit's canvas will be
maybe 3 threads and a lot of starch. When the canvas is blocked [usually wet
block instead of dry] that starch melts away and your base is suddenly very
flimsy. That is if you get that far. Pulling, jerking, and yanking your
needle and wool through all that starch can be difficult. There always seem
to be nubbies in the holes scratching the wool on every stitch. shread,
shread, shread.... Now for the really bad part: $30 kits are stamped, not
painted or even outlined. Ever bought a printed plaid cotton and try to pull
a thread to straighten it? Same problem. So you then have to spend time as
you stitch, trying to figure out exactly where you are suppose to stitch as
opposed to where it is actually incorrectly stamped. Gee, this might be enough
to never get me to pick up needlepoint again!!
Since you are a cross stitcher, I would go to a nice needlepoint shop. Take a
small X-mas chart [or something similar] with only X's [no quarter or half
stitches, and not much backstitching]. Tell the shop owner you want to make
your own kit to do this project. She will help you learn the stitch, pick
plain canvas, and pull the yarn you need to do your chart. Since you are used
to counting, this should come pretty easily to you [more so than to someone
not used to counting]. Ha! See you already know more than you think. I am
sure the shop owner will recognize the potential in hooking a new customer and
will be happy to help. If not, I would look for another needlepoint shop.
I like switching back and forth from X-stitch to needlepoint because sometimes
my eyes need the bigger holes needlepoint has to offer. Good Luck.
over and out, Caroline

In article <01bcd43e$389e71a0$55d82299@default>,

PBSievert

Oct 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/9/97
to Suzanne

Hi! If if comes from England, it probably has a fine quality of yarn
called Appleton. The canvas will be Zweigart as well from that
company. For instance, you can buy canvas from hobby lobby for $6 a
yard; Zweigart canvas runs over $30 a yard. I think it is quality. B.

Suzanne wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a question about needlepoint kits. I recently sent away for
> a catalog from Elizabeth Bradley. While I am normally a cross stitcher, I
> have an interest in taking up needlepoint as a hobby. I have seen some
> nice kits at Michael's for $50 and under. This seemed reasonable to me
> since the kits contain canvas, yarn, etc. In my new Elizabeth Bradley
> catalog, I fell in love with "The Beasts Of The Field" series, especially
> "The Gloucester Old Spot" and "Two Fat Suffolk Lambs". Each of the four
> kits in this series retails at $195. I spoke to a city shop an hour away
> from me, and inquired on why the price was seemingly so high. They stated
> the kits were all the way from the UK, One of a kind, and the canvases were
> silk screened, not hand painted.
> Would anyone know why the great price disparity between the over the
> counter kits at Michael's, and the Elizabeth Bradley kits exist? I do not
> mean to sound cheap, only that I was wondering if this is quite a large
> price to pay for a needlepoint kit or not.
> Awaiting your comments.

Caroline Marold

Oct 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/9/97

Dear Morgan:
Are you in England? Trammed work [is that the way to refer to it] is stunning
and almost impossible to get in the USA. I saw some once at the Charlotte
show. The lady there said that tramming[?] was the predessor of the painted
canvas. Basically, colored threads are worked exactly where every color
change is located. So it is like a complicated painted canvas with none of
the guess work when shading is close.
over and out, Caroline

In article <343D12...@uk.oracle.com>,
Morgan Parker <mpa...@uk.oracle.com> wrote:
snip>
>The last point, the loveliest needlepoint I have done in terms of shear
>bliss in stitching, was one that was trammed (I think that is the term,
>couldn't find it in Websters though). This is where the design is
>pre-stitched on to the canvas using horizontal stitches. You end up
>stitching over the top of each row of colours. This sounds a bit
>confusing, but once you pick up the pattern it is terrific! There is
>absolutely no guesswork about the design. The other benefit of the
>trammed approach is that the finished result is very hardwearing,
>especially if you have used a basketweave stitch, making it suitable for
>seatcovers and seat cushions. Generally these kits supply the colours
>of the pattern (and the wool used for the tramming exactly matches the
>wool for the pattern, so no guesswork as to which painted colour matches
>the wool), but you have to supply the wool for the background.
>
>Have fun!
>
>Regards,
>
> - Morgan

Marina Salume

Oct 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/9/97

Elizabeth Bradley's kits are not in the same league with the needlepoint
kits you can buy for $50. She uses a superior type of wool thread and
she also uses cross stitch in most of them, instead of continental,
which uses more thread. The fact that they are imported also makes them
more expensive. And of course many people think that EB's designs are
better than those of the cheaper kits.

I had a chance to see EB's kits in a shop, the packaging is also
superior. It is made to last for a long time, not a plain plastic bag
but a sturdy box. If you pay that much for a kit, it should give you
months of stitching enjoyment :-)

You can also buy books with EB's designs in them, you may prefer to do
this so you can possibly save money by buying your own canvas and
thread--of course the books are counted charts instead of silkscreened
designs.

--marina

Lula

Oct 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/9/97

Actually, tramme needlepoint isn't as detailed as a hand painted canvas
but follows the same principle of laying out a design and color areas.
The appeal of hand painted canvases are the wider variety of designs and
stitching options and materials available for the stitcher to be
creative.

The tramme canvases I've seen at the US trade markets are very
attractive but as you notice, this type of needlepoint is not as popular
in the US as it is in Europe.
Each type of needlepoint has its fans.

Here's an interesting fact I read recently --- the US has the biggest
base of needlepointers in the world.
---
Lula from Wooly Dreams Design
http://home.earthlink.net/~woolydream/

Lula

Oct 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/9/97

Kits one finds in the mass market are different than kits put out by
specialty companies such as Elizabeth Bradley.
Part of the reason EB kits are expensive is the name of the designer and
the fact it is a specialty company catering to a different market than
the chain stores.

The types and subjects of designs offered are different as well as the
materials packed into the kit. EB kits have better quality materials
featuring her own brand of wools and charts to go along with the
printed canvas. Packaging has its price points too.

I design and paint canvases for my business and am used to having the
best materials for my work in painting and stitching but have purchased
printed kits from Beth Rusell which are expensive but very well made of
the best materials and a couple of Glorifilia kits because I liked these
particular designs a lot even though I'm not thrilled about the type of
canvas the design is printed on (my personal preference).

I buy designs I like but as an informed buyer also know the quality of
the wools and materials offered and the kit company's reputation ---read
the package contents and examine the kit before I buy.

---

Suzanne wrote:

> I have a question about needlepoint kits. Would anyone know why the great price disparity between the over the

Suzanne

Oct 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/9/97

Dear Caroline,
Thank you for such good advice. I plan on visiting our local
needlepoint shop this weekend. I will choose an small, easy chart from my
collection, and take your advice. Needlepoint looks to be such fun, I
really enjoyed working on the Shepherd's Bush Christmas Stockings last
year, and it seems needlepoint might be similar. I am familiar with the
Victorian Cross Stitch the Elizabeth Bradley kits recommend. I am also
familiar with the needlepoint stitch where you make a half cross stitch
then go backwards to the left to make the next one, and then at the end of
the row you turn the whole canvas upside down to your new row, but I do not
remember what this stitch is called.
Thank you all again for all the good advice.

Respectfully,

. Mrs. Suzanne Elizabeth Root .

Caroline Marold wrote

sha...@epix.net

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97
to Suzanne

Suzanne wrote:
I am also
> familiar with the needlepoint stitch where you make a half cross stitch
> then go backwards to the left to make the next one, and then at the end of
> the row you turn the whole canvas upside down to your new row, but I do not
> remember what this stitch is called.
> Thank you all again for all the good advice.
>
> Respectfully,
> --
> . Mrs. Suzanne Elizabeth Root .

Suzanne,

That stitch is called continental stitch. If it were done from left to
right it would be called half cross stitch. The difference is the
continental stitch produces a backing on the canvas and the half cross
does not.

Both of these stitches can warp the canvas if extra care is not used in
maintaining perfect tension. I suggest if you are going to use these
stitches, please use your scroll bars or stretcher bars. It will help to
hold the shape of the canvas.

Most stitchers reccomend basketweave, which is not a difficult stitch to
learn, but when stitching from a chart, it can cause headaches because a
chart stitcher is normally accustomed to stitching in rows, not on the
diagnal. Personally, I lve the continental stitch and will use it most
of the time with no problem with canvas warping because I always use a
frame and have perfect tension. Look into a laying tool too if ou are
going to use multiple strands.

If you are seriously wanting to learn needlepoint, your next investment
should be The Needlepoint Book by Jo Ippolito Christenson. This is the
basic book most of us refer to as the Bible. It is currently being
revised meaning the photos are all going to be updated and there were
some corrections to be made, but the current version has a ton of info
you will love to have.

The other way to gather info is to ask away here of e mail me at any
time for specifics.

Have fun and do not forget to ask your shop owner for instructions. It
is something any good shopowner will help you with. Try to go when it is
not too busy so they can spend some time with you. It is difficult for
the shopowner to give you quality time when the shop is jammed.

Also, check out some of the classes most shop offer.

Sharon G

C. Murray

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

Suzanne wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a question about needlepoint kits. I recently sent away for
> a catalog from Elizabeth Bradley. While I am normally a cross stitcher, I
> have an interest in taking up needlepoint as a hobby. I have seen some
> nice kits at Michael's for $50 and under. This seemed reasonable to me
> since the kits contain canvas, yarn, etc. In my new Elizabeth Bradley
> catalog, I fell in love with "The Beasts Of The Field" series, especially
> "The Gloucester Old Spot" and "Two Fat Suffolk Lambs". Each of the four
> kits in this series retails at $195.
<snip>

Just adding my 2 cents. I have worked two Elizabeth Bradley designs and
they're worth every penny. The quality is outstanding. Another nice
feature is that the designs can be worked as regular needlepoint, or you
can use the enclosed chart and use a cross stitch. The beauty of using
the cross stitch is that the canvas does not warp at all, even if worked
in hand.

Gabe

suzanne

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

Morgan, I agree with you about the tramme` kits! (I think it's
pronounced tra may' but I can't figure out the fancy accent keys on my
keyboard). After struggling with painted/printed canvases, the tramme`
canvas tells me exactly what color goes where because they use an actual
strand of the colored wool to make the pattern.

I have a pillow I am *still* trying to finish that I obtained from
Madeira Gobelin years ago. I don't even know if they are still in
business, but they had some beautiful stuff.

suzanne in MI
=:D

Morgan Parker wrote:

> Hi Suzanne,

[snippety snip for brevity]

--
-------->
Lord Melchett: "Lord Blackadder, our foremost cartographers have given

Melinda Coss

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

> Hi Suzanne

> If you want a nice design and well printed or handpainted it
> will
> cost. Elizabeth Bradley, Beth Russell, Kaffe Fassett, etc. are all
> expensive.
> They are imported from England, they are busy (design wise) and 100%
> wool is
> supplied.
I love the work of all of the above and their kits are good quality.
However,in case there is any confusion, I can tell you with confidence
that all their canvases are screen printed, not hand painted.
Melinda

Melinda Coss

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

> Would anyone know why the great price disparity between the over the
> counter kits at Michael's, and the Elizabeth Bradley kits exist?

I fear that the cost of the packaging the kit comes in is greater than
the cost of the contents. If you want to stitch a Bradley design, perhaps
you should consider working from one of her excellent books with materials
that you purchase yourself.
Queen

Janet M. Perry

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

> > Suzanne wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a question about needlepoint kits. Would anyone know

why the great price disparity between the over the
> > > counter kits at Michael's, and the Elizabeth Bradley kits exist? I
do not
> > > mean to sound cheap, only that I was wondering if this is quite a large
> > > price to pay for a needlepoint kit or not.
> > > Awaiting your comments.

Suzanne --

Having done all kinds of needlepoint on all qualities of canvas I can
really agree with the folks who say it's worth the best. So here are some
of my suggestions.

If you like the look of Elizabeth Bradley but don't like the price, I've
got two suggeions. First, try to find her first book at the library.
It's called Decorative Victorian Needlepoint. In it she has a series of
small animal canvases. I did these as a bunch of Christmas ornaments in
14 mesh canvas. The other good way to try her stuff is to get one of the
few (too few) charts she has done. A shop in El Segundo, CA called Rose
Tree Cottage sells them. They cost about $4.00 or so. I've done two or
three of these as Victorian cross stitch and one of them won first prize
at the County Fair. They stitch up really fast. Rose Tree also carries
some smaller kits which are of the same quality as the big ones, but are
smaller when fiihed ad run around $50.

I also like the idea of converting cross stitch charts to needlepoint. If
you are still looking for some inspriation, I have a whole section on my
site where links to charts suitable for needlepoint can be found. It's at
http://needlepoint.miningco.com/msub17.htm. I also thought lots of the
charts in JCS Ornaments would also work for needlepoint.

--
Keep Stitching,
Janet Perry

ERivera308

Oct 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/11/97

Hi Lula

> the US has the biggest
>base of needlepointers in the world.

Where are all the needlepointers? :-)

Happy Stitching

EdithNYC

Lula

Oct 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/11/97

Edith, they're busy needlepointing.......
Many of my needlepoint customers do not read RCTN because I've asked
about this when I meet them through my travels.....and I know quite a
few needlepointers who do read RCTN but don't post.
I know there must be lots of needlepointers out there because we
(designers) and other needlepoint related businesses sell a lot of
canvases and materials......thank you fellow needlepoint fans!!!

That bit of info about the US and needlepointers came from one of the
needlework/craft trade mags. Might have been quoted from DMC but don't
remember the exact source at the moment.

Melinda Coss

Oct 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/11/97

> Hi! If if comes from England, it probably has a fine quality of yarn
> called Appleton. The canvas will be Zweigart as well from that
> company. For instance, you can buy canvas from hobby lobby for $6 a
> yard; Zweigart canvas runs over $30 a yard. I think it is quality. B.
Most top UK designers use Zweigart canvas in their kits. The yarn may
well be Anchor or Appletons. Whist the colour range offered by Appletons
is unrivalled,IMHO the quality does not compare to that of Anchor.
Elizabeth Bradley brand their own tapestry yarns which I believe are, in
fact, made by Appletons.
Melinda

Marianne

Oct 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/11/97

Where can one get a copy of the Elizabeth Bradley catalog?

TIA,

Marianne

> Lula wrote:
> >
> > Kits one finds in the mass market are different than kits put out
by
> > specialty companies such as Elizabeth Bradley.
> > Part of the reason EB kits are expensive is the name of the
designer and
> > the fact it is a specialty company catering to a different market
than
> > the chain stores.

<snip>

Lula

Oct 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/11/97

Marianne--

Go to the following site for Elizabeth Bradley catalog info---it's in
the Needle Arts Mall site.

http://www.needlearts.com/elizabeth_bradley/index.html

---
Lula from Wooly Dreams Design

http://home.earthlink.net/~woolydream/

ERivera308

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

Hi Lula

Boy, that is a disappointment. Here I bought a computer to communication with
fellow needlepointers (especially here in the NYC, NJ, Conn. area) and they do
not communicate. Wow, what a disappointment. :-( On the other hand, they
are smart, I have not done much stitching since I discovered RCTN.

I have communicated with some needlepointers and other stitchers through my
computer but they unforturnately live far away. I'll keep trying. :-)

Happy Stitching

EdithNYC

Lula

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

Hi Edith--

Oops, didn't mean to disappoint you with the news many needlepointers
are not on-line! As you figured, it probably works out better they're
stitching and not surfing the net.

I keep my floor frame next to the computer and work a few stitches now
and then---have finished needlepointing a few pieces recently between
downloads on the computer and stitching breaks from my painting work.
I'd probably get more stitching done if I didn't get on-line! But it's
so much fun to communicate with all the people I've met via the net.

True, there aren't a lot of needlepoint posts overall, but we've managed
to "discover" a bunch here on RCTN because we've seen them surface
periodically when we get some needlepoint threads going.

How about you Edith? What type of needlepoint do you like best to do?

I just bought a pack of chenille needles and planning to do some silk
ribbon embroidered flowers (new technique for me) on one of my
needlepoint figures who has a wreath of flowers in her hair and holding
a bouquet. Thought it would be a nice touch---may add some beads to the
SRE flowers---do the figure's hair in French knots and if I got daring
and had the time---do some bullion stitch sausage looking curls, think
French Knots are easier---part of her costume will be stitched with the
Hungarian criss cross stitch and may either add a dot of gold metallic
braid or a bead at the center of each of the crosses.

I decided to get some of The Thread Gatherer's overdyed silk ribbons
because it would give more dimension to the flowers and enhance my
needlepoint figure that much more.
The rest of the figure is all in tent stitch except for these few
details. The whole design is fairly large and on 13 mesh--have used
mostly pearl cotton from Anchor and DMC, #16 metallic braid from Kreinik
and Rachelette from Caron. Will be using Angora from Rainbow Gallery for
the clouds and wings on this Flying Lady.

Happy Needlepointing!

---
Lula from Wooly Dreams Design
http://home.earthlink.net/~woolydream/

sha...@epix.net

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97
to ERivera308

ERivera308 wrote:

> Hi Lula
>
> > the US has the biggest
> >base of needlepointers in the world.
>
> Where are all the needlepointers? :-)
>
> Happy Stitching
>
> EdithNYC

I am here and a mere 100 miles away from you! I know there are many
needlepointer lurkers out there. It does not matter where I go to
teach...several just happen into the shops to meet me and say they read
rctn. But, they never post and I wish they would.

I love my contact with the outside world and other needlepointers I gain
through this newsgroup, AOL chats and IRC. With no needlework shops
within a reasonable driving distance, I do not have the opportunity to
go hang out with other needleworkers. The computer gives me this
opportunity and I can do it in my pajamas with no makeup.

We all have busy lives and deal with the same 24 hours. It is just we
all have different priorities on what to do with our 24 hours. First
off, sleep is a necessity but I do not get too much of it. I will sleep
enough when I am dead, so, I do not waste time doing that now. Generally
I go to bed at 1 or 2AM and get up at 5 or 6 AM. I have a few hours in
the morning to myself to stitch, knit or organize my day or just jump
right into the office and hit the paint table.

But, come break time, I head for the computer and take my break with
other needleworkers. I lead an isolated life here. Everyone knows I work
from a home business so all the neighbors and friends leave me alone
during the workday...it took forever to train them but they now respect
that I do work. So, I take my breaks with all of you! Sometimes I will
pop in at IRC or AOL and chat and once a day, I hook up the dogs and go
out for a fast walk and some fresh air during a break.

Last night, for instance, I logged onto the AOL chat and suddenly found
myself playing guest designer for well over 2 hours. Loved it. Talked to
owner of Needle Necessities, A shop in Tenn, Judy fron Thistle in CT,
Louisa who had a designer daughter in the business, Linda who is the
Needlework product manager for JCA (Elsa Williams, Paternyan, Adrienne
Vittadini Yarns, etc) and many regulars who I have met on the chats. The
names I mentioned were former phone biddies too, so look at all the
money I saved by chatting with them on line. Ellaine from Needle
Necessities used to be a minimum $20 call. We had fun and even though I
design needlepoint, I do know plenty about charted work and cross stitch
so I was able to talk with others about that. It is all a matter of
going in and out of holes with a threaded needle.

And guess what? Cameo Roze is off shopping for her first needlepoint
canvas. I am sure she will start posting about that soon!

So, a word of warning to all you lurkers who needlepoint...if you start
participating, you may enjoy it! Wake up a half hour earlier and post to
something. You will not miss the half hour sleep and we will not
continue missing your posts. Maybe needlepointers are shy or can just
handle one addictive thing at a time.

SharonG...off to investigate this new Netscape thing that has a spell
checker in it!

JanS

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

I find value in everything from the inexpensive Bucilla Needle point kit (I
am right now doing a pillow with Magnolias on it-beautiful colors)
purchased mass market to individual hand painted canvases -I have bought my
share, the shop owners (note plural) have *real* big smiles on their
faces when I come in :.) - just like my own while I am stitching them. I
enjoy the advice/customer help/classes as well as the quality and variety
from specialty shops.

I have to say, however, that I haven't had the problems that everyone seems
to report with the mass market stuff. I don't run out of wool, the
occasional misprint can be adjusted for, etc. I just enjoy the doing of
the thing. I have different expectations of the mass market
stores/products. If I go to a Michaels or Hobby Lobby or whatever, I am
not expecting help. The people at the checkout don't give me any more
problems than any other store of whatever type. I think expectations and
attitude go a long way toward enjoying a hobby.

I guess when I'm feeling flush I go for the best, when I just need a fix
and I'm feeling poorer, I go mass market. (Sounds like a drug addict,
doesn't it???) I don't see this as wrong or immoral or whatever. Just
life, folks.. chill and enjoy whatever you can afford.

Nancy Veal

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

Suzanne wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a question about needlepoint kits. I recently sent away for
> a catalog from Elizabeth Bradley. While I am normally a cross stitcher, I
> have an interest in taking up needlepoint as a hobby. I have seen some
> nice kits at Michael's for $50 and under. This seemed reasonable to me
> since the kits contain canvas, yarn, etc. In my new Elizabeth Bradley
> catalog, I fell in love with "The Beasts Of The Field" series, especially
> "The Gloucester Old Spot" and "Two Fat Suffolk Lambs". Each of the four
> kits in this series retails at $195. I spoke to a city shop an hour away
> from me, and inquired on why the price was seemingly so high. They stated
> the kits were all the way from the UK, One of a kind, and the canvases were
> silk screened, not hand painted.
> Would anyone know why the great price disparity between the over the
> counter kits at Michael's, and the Elizabeth Bradley kits exist? I do not
> mean to sound cheap, only that I was wondering if this is quite a large
> price to pay for a needlepoint kit or not.
> Awaiting your comments.
> --
> . Mrs. Suzanne Elizabeth Root .
Suzanne,

I have done one of these kits (horse and hound - forget exact title) and
have Two Fat Lambs in my "to-do" pile. They are expensive but well
worth it, in my opinion. Even though I made a big mistake on the
horse's body, there was enough wool to do it over in the proper colour
(mistake was mine - trying to stitch late at night!). I love her
designs and this series is my favourite.

Nancy, in northern Ontario

Jerome Culik & Martina Culik Moore

Oct 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/12/97

Hi Edith,

I needlepoint and I post from time to time in the newsgroup.
Is SE PA, just next to MD border too far away? [grin]

What project are you working on?

I am taking the H&R Block Tax Course and I haven't picked up
my needlepoint in about 2 months. :-( And this is the project
that I promised myself that I would finish before I started
another!

Martina

--
邢 唷��

Jeanne

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

Sharon, you struck a funny bone.

On Sun, 12 Oct 1997 10:21:46 -0400, sha...@epix.net wrote:

>ERivera308 wrote:
>>
>> Hi Lula
>>
>> > the US has the biggest
>> >base of needlepointers in the world.
>>

>> Where are all the needlepointers? :-)
>>
>> Happy Stitching
>>
>> EdithNYC

--> Snipping <--

>I love my contact with the outside world and other needlepointers I gain
>through this newsgroup, AOL chats and IRC. With no needlework shops
>within a reasonable driving distance, I do not have the opportunity to
>go hang out with other needleworkers. The computer gives me this
>opportunity and I can do it in my pajamas with no makeup.

I * AM* doing this in my pajamas and with no makeup!

--> snip <--

>So, a word of warning to all you lurkers who needlepoint...if you start
>participating, you may enjoy it! Wake up a half hour earlier and post to
>something. You will not miss the half hour sleep and we will not
>continue missing your posts. Maybe needlepointers are shy or can just
>handle one addictive thing at a time.

This is my first time posting to this group. I've been reading it for
a while, and it took your post to prod me chuckling into making my
foray into RCTN.

I am an avid needlepointer, beginner quilter, past X-stitcher,
occasional canvas painter and all around busy mother. I DO NOT have
time to read ANY news groups, but I find myself putting off a project
or 7 to take a peek several times a week.

>SharonG...off to investigate this new Netscape thing that has a spell
>checker in it!

Sharon, check out Forte AGENT as a truly fabulous newsreader (and
e-mail, if you register a copy)

Jeanne

AChrist787

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

Jeanne,

Welcome to the group. We're glad you joined us. There are a number of us who
are avid np. A number of designers, some teachers, and a lot of good
stitchers of all varieties. Come back often.

Anne
Anne Christopherson

"Old roses are full of instructions on how to live right."

Suzanne

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

Would anyone know if she has a book out with her "fat farm animals"
designs in it? These animals are so cute, maybe with a charted design I
might do them more inexpensively in cross stitch?

. Mrs. Suzanne Elizabeth Root .

"Melinda Coss" <mc...@cix.compulink.co.uk> wrote in article <. If you want

Mmeindia

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

Hi all! I haven't been posting much because I've been *scrambling* to try
to finish two pieces in October. I also have to finish a short story for a
writing class I'm taking so I've been literally *running* back and forth
from my computer to my canvas...stitching helps me plot!

Anyway, I just wanted to weigh in as another needlepointer. Edith, I'm in
the NYC area, too.

:),

India

Robert Tusler

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

Sharon

I showed your canvases and photos to some people on my class last week
and they were amazed at the quality of your work. The teacher
described you as a wonderful artist.

One of these days I'll pluck up courage to stitch on one of them!!

Robert

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997 08:42:43 -0400, sha...@epix.net wrote:

>The other way to gather info is to ask away here of e mail me at any
>time for specifics.

Robert Tusler
http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~rtusler/

sha...@epix.net

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97
to Robert Tusler

Robert Tusler wrote:

> Sharon
>
> I showed your canvases and photos to some people on my class last week
> and they were amazed at the quality of your work. The teacher
> described you as a wonderful artist.
>
> One of these days I'll pluck up courage to stitch on one of them!!
>
> Robert

Robert,

What a nice thing for you to say! Thank you.

So, what kind of courage do you need? Any of my canvases stitch up just
fine with all tent and a fancy background. Use some interesting threads.
And because they are small, investing in silks would not break the
budget.

I think you have scissors and a pen. Two great canvases that go fast and
would be great as a scissors case and a pen case. I think you spoke
about doing the pen in a box lid for Julie. If you can find the Sudberry
Sharon's Box over there, it was made for the pens and the scissors. In
fact, it was named after me!

Go for it Robert, I know you can do it!

Sharon G

sha...@epix.net

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97
to JanS

Jan,
What you said about kits is true. But, for a first timer who happens to
get a misprinted kit, and thinks thay are all this way, frustration sets
in. It is a good possibility the kit ends up in the junk pile and the
needlepointer go onto some other pastime.

But, for someone with a little needlepointing experience, these kits are
just fine and they would know how to make the adjustments.

Some times an error is made and kits run short, I manufactured kits for
years. I found if I put a skein of each color into a kit, I would get
some calls telling me they ran short on this color or that color. Almost
impossible because a full skein was more than needed.

After a little research with the customer, I would find they did not
read the instructions and used more plies than required, had to rip out,
the dog ate it, they lost it and so on.

Because my kits were charted and I was so generous with the floss, I
even had requests for a skien of several colors come to find out they
wanted more to do the kits a second time with the left overs and what I
would send them.

With the volume of kits sold, these problems were far and few between
but we do tend to hear the negative rather than the praise. And did I
send out the extra supplies to a suspicious customer...sure I did
because in my business, the customer is always right and it is my job to
make them happy.

So, I am glad you stated what you did about never running short. It does
happen but not always is it the manufacturers blame.

And, there are some real bargains in the needlepoint kit market. Some
real beautiful designs are found at many price levels. You do not have
to spend a weeks pay for a needlepoint canvas.

Thank you for posting about your needlepoint.

Sharon G

Mmeindia

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97

Sharon,

If you don't mind sharing with us, how does one enter the needlepoint
design field?

:),

India

sha...@epix.net

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97
to Jeanne

Jeanne wrote:
> This is my first time posting to this group. I've been reading it for
> a while, and it took your post to prod me chuckling into making my
> foray into RCTN.
>
> I am an avid needlepointer, beginner quilter, past X-stitcher,
> occasional canvas painter and all around busy mother. I DO NOT have
> time to read ANY news groups, but I find myself putting off a project
> or 7 to take a peek several times a week.

> Sharon, check out Forte AGENT as a truly fabulous newsreader (and

> e-mail, if you register a copy)
>
> Jeanne

Jeanne,

Welcome to rctn!

What type of canvases do you paint? Are they for yourself or do you sell
your work?

I would be interested to hear more about your canvases. Maybe a possible
new needlepoint company in the future? The needlepoint industry welcomes
new designers. We all know art comes from within and every new designer
adds something different to the needlepoint world.

I never have tried quilting. Am kept busy now by fanatical knitting but
would love to begin quilting some day. I keep on picturing all the
wonderful quilt designs I would love ot do. Not the typical quilt, mind
you, but more of the free form quilt with tons of embroidery on it and
varied threads., I guess I would say a real artsy rather than functional
piece is wht I would want to do.

Thank you for posting and yes, I am still in my pajamas and have to get
dressed. The UPS pick up man is coming soon.

Sharon G

sha...@epix.net

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97
to Mmeindia

India,

For several years prior to doing my first wholesale show, I actually
took my wares with me when I traveled, and I did that a lot with ex-DH,
and knocked on doors. At that time I had a kit line that was charted and
done on 40 silk gauze. I also marketed through miniature/doll house
shows and traveled to about 30 different shows a year...most by plane.

In 1988, I decided, that if this was going to be a real business, I
would like to have the backing of a trade organization and access to
their shows. This is not a necessity, but if you have a desire to do the
large markets, you need to be prepared for the additional costs. You can
enter one of several regional markets that take place in hotels, where
you would exhibit in you room, for much less but you product would not
get maximum exposure. These shows take place in Baltimore area, Dallas,
Phoenix and Palm Beach Fla. Also another organization holds them in San
Francisco and Nashville. These last 2 are more cross stitch oriented.

So, I coughed up the dues, at that time it was $800 which was
initiation plus dues (it is now only $250 period) and the contract money
for my first show which was about $650 for 1 booth and registration fee
(not much different today...1 booth is $400 and registration fee is
$295...additional booths are $400 each). I did my first trade show and
my product was well recieved and I went home and shipped the orders out,
not as fast as the shops would have liked though.

In 91 discontinued the charted kit line and entered the handpainted
business. In essence, I started all over a second time. First with 1
booth, now I am bulging out of 4 booths. A booth is 10 by 10. I began by
painting it all myself until the orders overwhelmed me. Not being able
to say no to an order, I kept on taking them and suddenly found I needed
help. Now I have help and concentrate on running the business, new
designs and quality control of my product.

Business happens if you let it happen. The trick is finding a niche with
your product, being different (I have been accused of being very
different and nicknamed the Andy Warhol of the needlepoint industry by
many), and delivering the goods. Express yourself, not someone elses art
through your hands. Copy cats are not welcome by any industry and most
shopowners will respect the origional artist.

I do thank our trade association TNNA, The National Needlework
Associaton, for providing me an outlet to market my canvases and for the
chance to network with my fellow manufacturers and providing me with
many of the tools and knowledge to market my product.

In summary, the best way to enter the needlework field is to find a need
and fill it, have confidence in your art, and be honest with your
shopowner. The best way to fail is being undercapitalized, lack of
confidence in your product, and poor delivery.

This is a great industry and I feel very lucky being able to earn my
living from something I love. The people are great and it is such a
great feeling to have someone love what you create and in turn making
their lives happier.

Go for it and please contact either me or Lula for further info.

Sharon G

StichWhich

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97

I have been away from RCTN for a while. Was glad to see all the interest in NP!
I knew there were more of us out there<G> Reading these Boards does take
time out from our stitching tho.
Enjoyed reading the posts from Sharon G. I have done some of your canvases &
enjoy them very much.
I am liking the stitch guides now more than the painted canvas. I like to play
around with color changes & different stitches & threads.
Happy stitching everyone!

AChrist787

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

>I think you have scissors and a pen

I want to know when you are going to do the salad bra and tap pants Robert!

NETBONNIE

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

I'm a needlepointer and I'm here...

Actually I have been home sick all week, and last night Chris set me up to
read my newsgroups at home (I usually read at work) so today I am catching
up. Well I doubt I will catch up completely, because there are lots of
messages and my attention span is pretty short.

I have been able to work on my grandfather chair needlepoint and make some
real progress, I also made a few fruit and veggie hats (2 tomatoes and an
eggplant). It just takes longer due to the aforementioned attention span
difficulty.

Well, back to bed

Bonnie
(Bon-Bon)
Bonnie
(Bon-Bon)

sha...@epix.net

Oct 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/16/97
to Robert Tusler

Robert Tusler wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Oct 1997 07:59:26 -0400, sha...@epix.net wrote:
>
> The thing is that when the canvas is fifteen inches square, it's easy
> to stick in some stitches because if it is wrong one can make some
> noisy bright coloured bits somewhere else to take attention away from
> the mistakes. Then one has to deal with about three square inches
> one mistake is a problem, so it requires careful planning.
>
> There was a young woman on the class I attended last year who could do
> amazing things in an area an inch and a quarter square. And we were
> both using fourteen gauge canvas. I think it's must be a sex thing -
> that women can see things that men can't, and vice versa.
>
> Robert

> >So, what kind of courage do you need? Any of my canvases stitch up just
> >fine with all tent and a fancy background. Use some interesting threads.
> >And because they are small, investing in silks would not break the
> >budget.
>
> Robert Tusler
> http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~rtusler/

Robert,

The secret of doing a small canvas is to be sure the stitches and
texture are scaled down to the canvas size. Meaning...use small
stitches. You can also play up texture to get a very nice dimensional
look to the needlepoint. And, there is nothing wrong with well executed
tent stitch.

When dealing with single lines and outlines on a small canvas, I think
the thread is sometimes better couched than tent stitched. You get a
better flow. Also, I love to do beading on a small canvas. Very
impressive and does not take you a life time.

on size than men do. And I do find in my teaching experience, men are
really into the technical side of stitching and tend to be very precise.

Loosen up a bit Robert. You can always rip it out if you do not like it.
Stitching is not permanent, unless you use glue which I am sure you
don't.

Sharon G