Need Crochet Pattern -- shopping bag

Karen C in California

May 30, 2008, 9:43:39 PM5/30/08
Somewhere I used to have a crochet pattern for the European-style
shopping bags.

Anyone know where I could acquire (preferably free) such a pattern?

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

MAY IS CFS/FIBROMYALGIA AWARENESS MONTH

Finished 5/21/08 - Helping the Hummers

WIP: Christmas Music Bellpull, MLI The Teacher (gift to the library),
Bethany Angel, Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/

Lucille

May 30, 2008, 10:04:52 PM5/30/08

"Karen C in California" <KMC...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Somewhere I used to have a crochet pattern for the European-style shopping
> bags.
>
> Anyone know where I could acquire (preferably free) such a pattern?
>

> --
> Karen C - California
> Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com
>
> There are a few of them on the Lion Brand Website. Here's a link to one
> page that has at least two:

http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/patternFinder.fcgi?craft=Crochet&search=Search&searchText=tote+bag

Lucille

mir...@actcom.co.il

May 30, 2008, 11:11:18 PM5/30/08

I made a pattern for a Ball bag = when you don`t need it as bag it
rolls into a little ball !!!!
you can have it , but i need your private email ,,,

Karen C in California

May 31, 2008, 4:02:03 AM5/31/08
Lucille wrote:
>>There are a few of them on the Lion Brand Website. Here's a link to one
>>page that has at least two:
>

> http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/patternFinder.fcgi?craft=Crochet&search=Search&searchText=tote+bag
>
> Lucille

Thanks, Lucille, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I had in
mind the mesh ones that every good European housewife keeps tucked in
her pocket in case she finds something worth buying. They used to make
them out of leftover string; my pattern was for Knit-Cro-Sheen.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

MAY IS CFS/FIBROMYALGIA AWARENESS MONTH

Shirley Shone

May 31, 2008, 6:00:25 AM5/31/08
In message <6acf2dF...@mid.individual.net>, Karen C in California
<KMC...@aol.com> writes

>Lucille wrote:
>>>There are a few of them on the Lion Brand Website. Here's a link to
>>>one page that has at least two:
>>
>>http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/patternFinder.fcgi?craft=Crochet&searc
>>h=Search&searchText=tote+bag
>> Lucille
>
>Thanks, Lucille, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I had in
>mind the mesh ones that every good European housewife keeps tucked in
>her pocket in case she finds something worth buying. They used to make
>them out of leftover string; my pattern was for Knit-Cro-Sheen.

Would this be the one
http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/Longshop.html

Hope this works it is the first time I have done this transferring a URL
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone
shi...@allcrafts.demon.co.uk

Anne M

May 31, 2008, 4:25:15 PM5/31/08

Karen C in California

May 31, 2008, 5:30:50 PM5/31/08
Shirley Shone wrote:

> Would this be the one
> http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/Longshop.html

Larger than I had in mind, but adaptable. THANKS!

Karen C in California

May 31, 2008, 5:36:15 PM5/31/08
Anne M wrote:

> Canadian Living Magazine have a good crochet bag
>
> http://www.canadianliving.com/crafts/crochet/crocheted_eco_friendly_carryall.php

I KNEW someone here would have made one and know where to find it!

Thanks, gang!

Now off to Herrschners to order a rainbow of crochet cotton to make
oodles of bags for Christmas gifts. :)

Anne M

May 31, 2008, 7:34:24 PM5/31/08
The one in Canadian Living has a round base but I also have another pattern
from Canadian Living that is not on the web for basically the same bag
without a base...Let me know if you want that one as well. I can scan it and
sent it by email to you.

Olwyn Mary

May 31, 2008, 9:04:13 PM5/31/08
Karen C in California wrote:
> Anne M wrote:
>
>> Canadian Living Magazine have a good crochet bag
>>
>> http://www.canadianliving.com/crafts/crochet/crocheted_eco_friendly_carryall.php
>>

> I KNEW someone here would have made one and know where to find it!
>
> Thanks, gang!
>
> Now off to Herrschners to order a rainbow of crochet cotton to make
> oodles of bags for Christmas gifts. :)

A word of warning. I made several of these some years back - long
before they became fashionable again, so I made up the pattern myself
and had them the same dimensions as a paper grocery sack. They worked
beautifully, BUT, if you try to put anything heavy in them, the handles
will just about cut through your fingers! I still keep a couple in the
car, plus one in the house, along with all my canvas ones, and they are
excellent for lightweight things, but DO NOT attempt to carry a
ten-pound bag of potatoes in one, you will regret it.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Anne M

May 31, 2008, 10:58:41 PM5/31/08
I saw these bags once at a craft fair and the seller had somehow worked the
handle inside a piece of surgical tubing to make them easier on the hands. I
am not sure how it was done but might be interesting to try.

Karen C in California

May 31, 2008, 11:56:27 PM5/31/08
Olwyn Mary wrote:

> BUT, if you try to put anything heavy in them, the handles
> will just about cut through your fingers!

Padding! :)

I have some foam tube "toe bandages" that could easily be slipped over
the handles before you attach the second end. Or you could slit the
tube and affix snaps so you can wrap it around the handles as needed.

Message has been deleted