Cross Stitch Design Software

Paul Patton

Jul 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/12/97

I am looking for a good professional quality Cross Stitch Design Software. I
have tried Cross Stitch Designer shareware for evaluation. It seems good but
has a lot of limitations, probably because it is shareware. Most of the time I
choose to enter designs manually using thread colors and symbols, however, I
would also like the program to be able to scan in designs. I'm looking for a
lage variety of symbol choices and plenty of pattern flexibility. If you
presently are using software you would recommend, please reply asap.

Thanks,

Margie

J. S. Koster

Jul 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/12/97
to Paul Patton

Margie - I started with Cross Stitch Designer shareware, too. And yes,
the limits are there because it is shareware.

The same company, HobbyWare, has two additional programs - Pattern Maker
for Cross Stitch, standard and professional versions. I am using the
standard version, and will be upgrading soon to the professional. They
both have the capacity for scanning images and converting photos to
cross stitch. I don't know about the symbol choice in the Professional
version.

Their website is http://www.hobbyware.com

Joan K. - Who is not affiliated with HobbyWare, although they should
pay me a commission, as this is the second post today where I've
recommended their products...

That Funky Chick

Jul 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/13/97

On 12 Jul 1997 17:16:04 GMT, pat...@san-jose.ate.slb.com (Paul Patton)
wrote:

>I am looking for a good professional quality Cross Stitch Design Software. I
>have tried Cross Stitch Designer shareware for evaluation. It seems good but
>has a lot of limitations, probably because it is shareware. Most of the time I
>choose to enter designs manually using thread colors and symbols, however, I
>would also like the program to be able to scan in designs. I'm looking for a
>lage variety of symbol choices and plenty of pattern flexibility. If you
>presently are using software you would recommend, please reply asap.

I just downloaded the demo of Pattern Maker (Professional version), and if
I had a hundred dollars to blow this instant I'd probably buy it. It's
nifty!

I think that PM and XS Designer are made by the same software company
(Hobbyware), although I did see another XS Designer made by MasterStitch.
Unfortunately the link didn't work so I couldn't try that one. Hobbyware
apparently has three different levels of design software, at three
different prices. (And OF COURSE I had to download, and fall in love with,
the most expensive one.) XS Designer was the lowest-level in the chain,
and had the fewest features. Try downloading Pattern Maker, professional
version, and see what you think. Although I've only been playing with it
for a day, so I can't exactly pretend that I've had a lot of experience
with it. I especially like the way you can do quarter- and half-stitches,
and view the whole shebang in "stitches" or "symbols" or "solid".

I also downloaded WinStitch...I found it to be a bit counter-intuitive to
use, and it kept getting illegal operation errors and closing itself. Then
all my other programs started getting illegal operations errors until I
rebooted...that might have been unrelated...

-Bertha
ber...@polly.mhn.org

I'm not creating a disturbance, I'm improving one.

Joy

Jul 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/13/97
to ber...@polly.mhn.org

Well I never - just imagine that.

That Funky Chick wrote:
<snip

I also downloaded WinStitch...I found it to be a bit counter-intuitive
use, and it kept getting illegal operation errors and closing itself.
Then
all my other programs started getting illegal operations errors until I
rebooted...that might have been unrelated...
-Bertha
ber...@polly.mhn.org

I'm not creating a disturbance, I'm improving one.

Dear Bertha

Are you referring to WIN-Stitch as being a disturbance ! Boy, perhaps
you should check out your WIN95 installation first. Did you try getting
in touch with the WIN-Stitch Tech Support just in case your download was
faulty.

WIN-Stitch has been on the market for a long time, and I have been using
it since I purchased version 3.2 on a Stitching Fair in Anaheim. Right
now I am working with version 6.1 and very happy. It is very much a
professional program, and I know that the Publisher version is used by
Publishers such as Lanarte, Frankfurter Handarbeiten, Zweikart and Burda
over in Europe.
I do however agree that It is rather complicated to learn and takes time
getting used to. But then, It can do so much.
Following are some user comments which I collected via
http://www.win-stitch.com.

WIN-Stitch doesn't give me any more problems, in fact its WONDERFUL :):)
No more hand making patterns, no more hours and hours of that, is
really, really helpful. It allows you to see how your work will be, how
your colors will match. Thank you for everything :)
Rip...@thisendup.com (Anna MacDonnell)

After many hours of trying to figure out your program, I finally was
able to scan a picture of my new granddaughter into Photo Shop, and then
put it into Win Stitch. I couldn't believe the results. It was
Cross-Stitch embroidery ALMOST perfect. I am hoping to get it figured by
Christmas to give to my daughter in law for a Christmas present.
sus...@smartlink.net (Susanne Hackbarth)

It works great now. Now I can start making more designs. My Mother is
the one who stitches them and I am way ahead of her in getting designs
done. It is a great program that I am getting very comfortable with now.
Thanks again.
v10...@ibm.net (Scott Musson)

I must tell you one thing. All the research that I've done lately on
cross-stitch programs has lead me to believe that yours is hands down
the best I've seen. I've gone through about 50 demo programs this week
and you program is 10 time more comprehensive than anything I've seen.
You've got a real winner on your hands. Thank you
Sarah....@hboc.com (Sarah Wright)

Loaded your demo last night. Never was so impressed with a program!
Never was so depressed with a program. Impressed because it does exactly
what I need and want, but depressed because my computer at 66 megahurts
and windows 3.11 just wasn't big enough to handle it. You do have the
best one out there I have ever run across.
Charlotte Bradfield, Flutterby Creations, P.O. Box 940271, Houston, AK.
99694
ster...@matnet.com

I do not sell WIN-Stitch, but I have helped the WIN-Stitch team on
occasion in Charlotte, and believe that I can recognise a good thing
when I see it.
Wendy

snj

Jul 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/13/97

Joy <J...@cybertex.ch> wrote, and I am leaving the entire post " for
your reading edification":

(Yes Bertha wrote):

><snip
> I also downloaded WinStitch...I found it to be a bit counter-intuitive
> use, and it kept getting illegal operation errors and closing itself.
>Then
> all my other programs started getting illegal operations errors until I
> rebooted...that might have been unrelated...
> -Bertha
> ber...@polly.mhn.org
>
> I'm not creating a disturbance, I'm improving one.

Unfortunately, Bertha's very reasonable and extermely polite post was
edited.

(So Joy responded):
>Dear Bertha

>Are you referring to WIN-Stitch as being a disturbance ! Boy, perhaps
>you should check out your WIN95 installation first. Did you try getting
>in touch with the WIN-Stitch Tech Support just in case your download was
>faulty.

>WIN-Stitch has been on the market for a long time, and I have been using
>it since I purchased version 3.2 on a Stitching Fair in Anaheim. Right
>now I am working with version 6.1 and very happy. It is very much a
>professional program, and I know that the Publisher version is used by
>Publishers such as Lanarte, Frankfurter Handarbeiten, Zweikart and Burda
>over in Europe.
>I do however agree that It is rather complicated to learn and takes time
>getting used to. But then, It can do so much.
>Following are some user comments which I collected via
>http://www.win-stitch.com.

(However, in the above response, Joy did not indicate that she is
affiliated with WIN-Stitch, as a check on her e-mail address shows.)
I am not maligning this product, or Joy as an individual, but I do
feel that the way this post was written, IMHO, leads one to some
misimpressions.

Jane,
Just trying to set the record straight

M. Weber

Jul 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/14/97

On Sun, 13 Jul 1997 22:52:50 +0200, Joy <J...@cybertex.ch> wrote:

>That Funky Chick wrote:
><snip
> I also downloaded WinStitch...I found it to be a bit counter-intuitive
> use, and it kept getting illegal operation errors and closing itself.
>Then
> all my other programs started getting illegal operations errors until I
> rebooted...that might have been unrelated...

I cut all those *beutiful* descriptions of that winstitch
programm.....

>WIN-Stitch has been on the market for a long time, and I have been using
>it since I purchased version 3.2 on a Stitching Fair in Anaheim. Right
>now I am working with version 6.1 and very happy. It is very much a
>professional program, and I know that the Publisher version is used by
>Publishers such as Lanarte, Frankfurter Handarbeiten, Zweikart and Burda
>over in Europe.

yes,and _I_ know some ,who are not as happy
In fact,Itried out winstitch ,too,but I was lucky enough to be able to
compare it ot many other free downloadlable softwares...and I found my
(much cheaper) software,whihc has some of the features,whihc ocst
thousands of Marks in the Kitmaker of Publisher versions of winstich .

>I do not sell WIN-Stitch, but I have helped the WIN-Stitch team on
>occasion in Charlotte, and believe that I can recognise a good thing
>when I see it.
>Wendy

The e-mail address is the one of Joy Merz,as far as I know,the
daughter of the swiss vendor of that software
and if _that_ is not advertising...

Oh,before I forget,the very good software I use,and with very
kind,immidiate and helpful support by the writer himself,is:

CROSS STITCH PROFESSIONAL FOR WINDOWS by Dave Peters.
You can downlaod a free demo version form
http://users.aol.com.xsprof

and,I am NOT affialiated with the writer;I am just a very happy user
;))

greetings to all,Martina
"Chatelaine"
Duisburg /Germany
.

Ann Rogers

Jul 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/14/97

In article <5q8e4k$p...@ohnasn01.houston.omnes.net>,
pat...@san-jose.ate.slb.com (Paul Patton) wrote:

I am looking for a good professional quality Cross Stitch Design Software. I
have tried Cross Stitch Designer shareware for evaluation. It seems good but
has a lot of limitations, probably because it is shareware. Most of the time I
choose to enter designs manually using thread colors and symbols, however, I
would also like the program to be able to scan in designs. I'm looking for a
lage variety of symbol choices and plenty of pattern flexibility. If you
presently are using software you would recommend, please reply asap.

Thanks,

Margie

Hi Margie, Compucrafts has just released version 5.0 of Stitch Crafts Gold
for Windows and now has a Demo available for downloading. It does
everything that the full version does except it won't save new designs or
print them out. You can print out the sample files that come with the
program. For more information check out
http://www.antibe.com/westview/software.html or send e-mail. Ann (who is
associated with Compucrafts and distributes the software in Canada!)

Ann Rogers
West View Designs, 1-888-222-4034
Needlework Products, Resources and Services
http://www.antibe.com/stitchery/needlework.html

That Funky Chick

Jul 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/14/97

On Sun, 13 Jul 1997 22:52:50 +0200, Joy <J...@cybertex.ch> wrote:

>Are you referring to WIN-Stitch as being a disturbance ! Boy, perhaps
>you should check out your WIN95 installation first. Did you try getting
>in touch with the WIN-Stitch Tech Support just in case your download was
>faulty.

It's just my .sig file, has nothing to do with the content of my post.

I have nothing against WINstitch, I just didn't care for it. My Win95 has
been installed for over two years, and this is the first time it's had a
chronic lock-up problem with a program, so I reasoned that the problem is
with the program and not my setup.

MS makes a lot of stuff I happen to like a lot; I've got all of the Office
97 stuff installed and I'm quite impressed with Word. Perhaps that's why I
was underwhelmed with WinStitch; most of the Windows stuff MS puts out is
easy to use and runs quite well with Win95 (as it should since MS designed
it). The main reason I use a GUI system like Windows is so that I don't
have to invest a lot of time learning each specialized piece of software;
the OS figures out the underlying mechanisms and I just push buttons from
the mask.

>I do however agree that It is rather complicated to learn and takes time
>getting used to. But then, It can do so much.

Great! Glad you're getting what you want out of it! I just wasn't
satisfied with it, personally; I found Pattern Maker much easier to use
immediately, and one of my requirements for the software was that it be
easy to use. I didn't find Winstitch to be impossibly difficult, just
somewhat counter-intuitive and awkward, and with two other programs
downloaded to try out, I didn't see much return in spending time learning
one that didn't work for me. Others may well find WinStitch to be the
easiest to use; everyone's mind works differently.

Tamzen Cannoy

Jul 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/15/97

In article <arogers-1407...@i3-21.islandnet.com>,
aro...@antibe.com (Ann Rogers) wrote:

>Ann (who is
> associated with Compucrafts and distributes the software in Canada!)

Ann, can you lean on them at Compucrafts on updating the Mac version? I've
been a customer of theirs since V1.0 and yet get only a vague 'maybe
someday' on the chances of them upgrading the Macintosh software when I've
contacted them.

Tamzen Cannoy

WO...@shrsys.hslc.org

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

I have been following the discussion about cross stitch design software that's
occurred over the past week or so. Thus far, Pattern Maker, Cross Stitch
Designer (shareware), WINstitch, EasyCross, and Compucrafts Stitch Crafts
Gold have been mentioned. The August 1997 issue of Just Cross Stitch carries
ads for Stitch Crafts Gold, PCStitch for Windows, EasyGrapher, Pattern Maker,
and PixelStitch.

I would like to purchase decisn software in the near future and would appreciate
frank evaluations from people who have evaluated these products and why you
decided to purchase or not to purchase these software products. Is any one
product considered the best; did cost make the decision; does any product have
a "flaw"? Please feel free to respond directly to me. Thanks!
Sandy Wood
wo...@hslc.org

Ann Rogers

Jul 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/21/97

In article <tamzen-ya0230800...@trouble.merrymeet.com>,
tam...@worldbenders.com (Tamzen Cannoy) wrote:

Tamzen Cannoy

Trust me Tamzen, I lean on Compucrafts all the time. They have just
released a new PC version which I hope means that work will begin on the
Mac version really soon. It's the same story with all Mac software -
developers claim it's only 10-15% of their market and thus gets left
behind. We're all really hoping for an update to the Mac really soon.
I'll let you know when it is on the way. Ann.

----------------- aro...@antibe.com ------------------
Ann Rogers (250) 721-4034 Fax (250) 721-4033
West View Designs, Victoria, BC Canada
http://www.antibe.com/stitchery/needlework.html
Needlework Resources - Products and Services
--------------- Toll Free 1-888-222-4034 ----------------

That Funky Chick

Jul 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/21/97

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997 10:00:27 -0700, aro...@antibe.com (Ann Rogers) wrote:

>Trust me Tamzen, I lean on Compucrafts all the time. They have just
>released a new PC version which I hope means that work will begin on the
>Mac version really soon. It's the same story with all Mac software -
>developers claim it's only 10-15% of their market and thus gets left
>behind. We're all really hoping for an update to the Mac really soon.
>I'll let you know when it is on the way. Ann.

Hmm..sounds like one of those self-fulfilling things. Mac software gets a
lower priority because it claims a lower market share...so fewer people buy
Macs because it has less software...and then Mac software has a lower
market share.

Does Apple have a software-developing department?

Oh well, I don't suppose this really has anything to do with needlework...

-Bertha
ber...@polly.mhn.org

BLAM! Make peculiar patterns in MY wheat field, will ya?!