Floss in JCA/Elsa Williams kit?

Jackie Reynolds

Apr 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/11/99

At the Needlework show in Olympia (London) on Friday I bought a lovely
kit called the Wisdom sampler. On the front of the package it says it
was designed by Donna Vemillion Giampa, but the brand name on the kit is
"Elsa Williams". There is also a JCA logo in the corner?

Like many people I usually prefer to buy my own supplies, but I couldn't
resist this kit! What I'm wondering is, does anyone know this brand and
what kind of floss is used in their kits? Every number in the floss key
begins with 6, and the numbers don't seem to fit either DMC, Anchor or
(according to my conversion charts) JP Coats. Maybe the manufacturers
use their own numbering?

The floss seems reasonable quality; I've looked at four or five colours
so far with my DMC shade card, and think I could probably match them if
I run out of thread. It would make it a *very* expensive buy if I throw
out all the kit floss... :-( Opinions, please?
--
Jackie
jac...@subs-desk.demon.co.uk

Glenda Beller

Apr 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/12/99
Hi Jackie,
I have this kit. I think it's beautiful. I am trying to figure out
which company manufactures this floss too. I prefer not to use floss in
a kit. Also, I'm thinking of changing the fabric. My kit comes with
Aida fabric and I don't think that will look as nice as an evenweave.
JMHO. I haven't decided which fabric to use. If you do find out any
information about the floss please let me know. Thanks in advance.
--
Best Regards
Glenda

ERivera308

Apr 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/12/99
Hi Jackie & Glenda

JCA, Inc. (Johnson Creative Art) is located at 38 Scales Lane, Townsend, MA
01469-1094, phone (978)597-8794. They have a Customer Service Dept. which I
called once and I found the person I spoke to very friendly and knowledgeable.
If you run out of floss I am sure they can send you what you need. JCA bought
the Elsa William name when she retired. Elsa William is deceased. Hope this
helps.

Happy Stitching

EdithNYC

Carol Bromund

Apr 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/12/99
Yes, these kit companies will send you more floss if you run out, but
chances are it may not be of the same dye lot especially if you did not
stitch the design up immediately. So I agree with the people who would
rather replace the floss in the kit. However, when replacing the floss, you
have to look at the, consider how many strands of floss they tell you to
use, then look at each symbol in the chart, and if there seems to be a lot
of some of the colors, make sure you buy enough of each of those colors in
the same dyelot. If you are not sure how to do this, go to your LNS as they
should be able to estimate for you. If you estimate yourself, just keep in
mind that if your stitches are scattered, it takes more floss to start and
stop often than to stitch solid rows of the same number of stitches. I hope
I was able to shed some light on the subject.
P.S. Another good reason to support your LNS.

Carol

Jackie Reynolds

Apr 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/14/99
In article <ukj7XvOh#GA.71@upnetnews05>, Carol Bromund
<Car...@email.msn.com> writes

>Yes, these kit companies will send you more floss if you run out, but
>chances are it may not be of the same dye lot especially if you did not
>stitch the design up immediately. So I agree with the people who would
>rather replace the floss in the kit.

<snip>

Thanks, Carol, and everyone else who replied, for your comments. I don't
think, though, that this time I'm going to throw out the floss... the
kit cost 35 pounds (about $56) and there's no way I'm going to pay that
kind of money for a chart and a piece of fabric!

The design is such that I don't think it will really matter if dye lots
differ (lots of flowers and stems, etc), so I will plug on and see what
happens.
--
Jackie
jac...@subs-desk.demon.co.uk

hgrei...@fastransit.net.uk

Apr 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/15/99
On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 18:00:12 +0100, Jackie Reynolds
<jac...@subs-desk.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Thanks, Carol, and everyone else who replied, for your comments. I don't
>think, though, that this time I'm going to throw out the floss... the
(snipped)

Throw out floss????? Never!!! Even el-cheapo floss can be used to
make tassels and cording.
Anne/NC

E-mail response not expected but
E-mail back delete the ".uk" at the end