Bucilla - Threads in their kits

Diane Dodds

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
I am currently working a Bucilla kit called
the Needlework Shoppe. I have come to just about
the 3/4 point in the kit and I am running out of
about 1/3 of the different colours. Bucilla lists
a bunch of numbers in their thread list in the kit,
but don't say whether the threads are DMC or whatever.
Does anyone know what type of thread they use? I
intend to finish the kit as far as possible, keeping
a sample of which threads I am running out of, try
and match it to DMC or Anchor and if that is not
possible I will have to write to them for additional
supplies.

Add my voice to the list of people stating why
they don't buy kits! I keep this kit at work so
that I have something to stitch at noonhour and it
is most annoying that I won't get this finished
before it is too nice outside to sit inside stitching!

Arrgh.

Venech

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96
I also am curious. I had gotten some kitty oraments to xs when they went
on sale after xmas. These things only had about 50 different colors. Stuff
like "light rust, medium rust, dk rust, light brown, med brown, dk brown,
light taupe, med taupe, dk taupe, lt peach, dk peach, lt and dk pink...you
get the picture) Anyhow, I cannot seem to find a color that would go to
"dk rust". Nothing really seems right. I thought mebbie the one i chose
for med rust would mebbie be dk rust, but alas, there were no other viable
lt rust alternatives. If we could figure out what these cryptic numbers on
these kits mean, it sure would help a lot of us out who buy kits for
ornaments, etc.
Just my 2ข.

~~~ Venecha ~~~

Lesa & Mark Steele

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96
Bucilla (like most other US major kit companies--not the
smaller mom & pop operations) kit with unbranded floss.
Some companies for their "better" lines use a mixture
of branded floss (J & P Coats, DMC, etc)--however even
this can vary from kit to kit.

If you contact them at 1-800-233-3239 they will gladly
send you additional floss.

My suggestion would be to ask the shopowner who you bought
this from to make the call for you. That way you won't
have the hassle; you didn't purchase *that* afterall :-)

Lesa
--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Stitchers Source

Deborah Andersen

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
Hi, I know what you mean about running out of thread, especially since I
often use three strands instead of the recommended two. I don't know how
to find their thread colors, I think they use different brands with
different kits. I would call or write to the company, usually they have a
number to call to get extra floss. For myself, the best thing I have
found is to sit down with the DMC floss color card and chart out all the
color numbers before I start. That way, if I run out of a color, I can
substitute DMC (or just stitch the whole thing with DMC). If you are
going to substitute another floss, save some of the kit floss and blend
it with the substitute so that any color change isn't as noticable.
Debi

Robin Panza

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
In article <4kgqfj$h...@bertrand.ccs.carleton.ca>, Diane Dodds <ddo...@superior.carleton.ca> writes:
> I am currently working a Bucilla kit called
> the Needlework Shoppe. I have come to just about
> the 3/4 point in the kit and I am running out of
> about 1/3 of the different colours. Bucilla lists
> a bunch of numbers in their thread list in the kit,

I suggest you write to Bucilla for more thread. They're a reputable company
and ought to be happy to send more.

> is most annoying that I won't get this finished
> before it is too nice outside to sit inside stitching!

Doesn't that just mean you'll take it to sit outside stitching?

Robin P.
pan...@clp2.clpgh.org

Todd Robert Saulnier

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
ven...@aol.com (Venech) wrote:

>~~~ Venecha ~~~

This is what I came up with when I did my Santa Collage Ornaments from
Bucilla:

pink - 761
red - 666
burgundy - 3721
pale peach - 543
lt. peach - 3774
dk. peach - 758
lt. orange - 351
lt. yellow - 745
dk. yellow - 743
lt. green - 955
dk. green - 699
lt. blue - 775
med. blue - 813
dk. blue - 798
lt. lavender - 554
dk. lavender - 552
lt. rust - 402
med. rust - 3776
lt. taupe - 452
lt. brown - 434
off white - 3024

My kit did not have dk. rust, so I can't help you there. Good luck.

Glenda
**************************
* Todd & Glenda Saulnier * Fasten your seat belts,
* toddsa...@ips.ca * you're on the information highway! :-)
**************************

DMBrown240

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96
I am so glad to see this subject. I too have just finished a Bucilla kit.
The only reason I bought it was because it was half price. I usually
don't buy kits. They are overpriced. Anyway, I ran out of 6 or 7 colors.
I matched them up as best I could. Luckily, it's not obvious. I'm going
to write to them and complain. I was beginning to think it was the way I
stitch. I didn't think I was wasting thread.

Danielle in KY

Joann McCormick

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96
i had a bucilla kit of a xmas stocking. as i was separating
my floss i noticed one was missing. i WROTE to bucilla, asked
if their floss was DMC and asked if they could send me the
numbers, along w/the color that i was missing. they were very
nice, and sent everything i had asked for. sometimes, all it takes
is a letter or a phone call.

i like to use 3 strands on 14 ct. and most kits call for only using
2. that was one of the main reasons i wrote cause i knew i wanted
more coverage on my fabric than what the kit called for.

i think, as you noticed you were running out of floss if you had
written or called you wouldn`t have had to "match" floss. that can
be very difficult!

joann
houston, tx.

young....@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2019, 4:57:26 PM1/24/19
On Wednesday, April 10, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Diane Dodds wrote:
> I am currently working a Bucilla kit called
> the Needlework Shoppe. I have come to just about
> the 3/4 point in the kit and I am running out of
> about 1/3 of the different colours. Bucilla lists
> a bunch of numbers in their thread list in the kit,
> but don't say whether the threads are DMC or whatever.
> Does anyone know what type of thread they use? I
> intend to finish the kit as far as possible, keeping
> a sample of which threads I am running out of, try
> and match it to DMC or Anchor and if that is not
> possible I will have to write to them for additional
> supplies.
>
> Add my voice to the list of people stating why
> they don't buy kits! I keep this kit at work so
> that I have something to stitch at noonhour and it
> is most annoying that I won't get this finished
> before it is too nice outside to sit inside stitching!
>
> Arrgh.

young....@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2019, 5:01:06 PM1/24/19
I would never buy a Bucilla product again. The thread came all bunched together with the indication which thread was which and many close in color had similar thread counts. I called the company and they gave me a hard time about sending me the missing threads. I told her myself and two other people verified the colors and what was missing. When I asked what the problem was she huffed. Very dissatisfied with this company

Nyssa

Jan 25, 2019, 10:26:22 AM1/25/19
So I would guess that things with Bucilla and their kits
haven't improved since the original post in 1996?

IIRC Bucilla uses their own color number system and threads,
not DMC or Anchor for their kits. Think cheap imitation floss.
That makes things even worse since you can't just run out
to the LNS or online to order replacements or extra floss.

I've purchased a kit or two from Bucilla, but always pitched
their floss and matched it up with higher quality DMC or
Anchor before beginning work. An expensive way to get just
a chart and fabric which also usually gets replaced, but
sometimes a design just calls to you and you HAVE to have it!

I purchased a VERY expensive kit from a company in the
Netherlands called Pako. The floss was DMC so was easier
to match up in case of shortfalls. It would have been a
PITA to have to contact the company for extras and for the
price paid, I wouldn't expect to be shortchanged.

I did replace the high-quality Aida with Belfast linen for
the project, adding to the finished cost, but it was a
huge project and was worth the effort.

Nyssa
At River's End

Rich

Jan 27, 2019, 8:14:55 AM1/27/19
This is from 1996

lucreti...@fl.it

Jan 27, 2019, 9:03:44 AM1/27/19
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 08:14:53 -0500, Rich <jox...@gmail.com> wrote:

>This is from 1996

You might say, The Glory Days :) How are you Rich?

Rich

Feb 3, 2019, 9:51:41 AM2/3/19
I am doing good, thanks for asking. Still stiching.

Rich

ndjo...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2019, 11:40:30 AM2/21/19
On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 8:51:41 AM UTC-6, Rich wrote:
> I am doing good, thanks for asking. Still stiching.
>
> Rich
>
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 10:01:27 -0400, > >On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 08:14:53 -0500, Rich <jox...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>This is from 1996
> >
> >You might say, The Glory Days :) How are you Rich?

Nice to see at least a *bit* of action here again!

What is everyone working on? I am doing a foxgloves pattern: https://www.thestitchery.com/itemdy00.aspx?T1=TB3629
I'm nearly done...have all the green done and am working on the few bottom flowers. I'm actually stitching it for Arliss (former member of this group), who has trouble stitching on black. I've also started (but have set aside for the duration of the foxgloves) their hollyhocks kit
https://tinyurl.com/yxrnzv5p which is for me.

These are kits from Europe (Riolis) and use an acrylic/wool blend, which has been a dream to work with...it's pretty soft stuff and the colors are really vibrant.

And (to keep this on topic) they are supplied with plenty of floss. :)

Joan in very snowy ND!

Nyssa

Feb 21, 2019, 12:10:51 PM2/21/19
I love seeing posts here again!

So I'll add my own. ;)

I'm currently re-stitching models for my first four Goodie
Bag charts. Zweigart liked them so much, they kept my original
models for display at trade shows and such. Considering how
generous with sample fabrics they are, I had no problem with that,
but I do want to have a complete set of models in my own
collection.

The big news I've been holding back is that I've developed
a new website along with several friends (one of whom is
another stitcher) and will eventually be re-posting my old
freebie charts on the new site plus newer, exclusive designs
that have never before been published.

The site won't be just about stitching, but I'm hoping that
the freebies will bring in some interest and folks will find
other things about it they like and keep coming back.

BTW the site will have NO ads or tracking. It's not a money-
maker, just an outlet for us to share our interests and ideas
with others.

I'll let everyone here know when the site goes live.

I can't wait to start getting feedback on all the work that's
been done.

Nancy Spera

Feb 22, 2019, 9:40:05 AM2/22/19
It's nice to read about folks are working on. I wish I could
add. Haven't picked up a needle in so long. Maybe this is the
push I need.

Look forward to you site, Nyssa.

Nancy

---
https://www.avg.com

Arliss Link

Feb 23, 2019, 5:29:49 PM2/23/19
I'm peaking in, since I do get the digest and see that Joan has mentioned my name. I know that Joan intends to enter the foxgloves bell pull at her county fair. I would hope (but suspect it might not work out) that she could enter her hollyhock bell pull at the same time; I might persuade her to hold off and enter both at the same time next year.

I've been working on a couple of Mirabilia designs - Stone Roses (just beads and ribbon work left) and Lady of the Flag (just a bit of a hair color change, then backstitching and beads left); I set both aside to stitch Marie Barber's blue and white floral teapot, which is also almost finished, with just a few more cross stitches and backstitching to do.

I've been dealing with dry eye for the last couple of years, so I have some really awful days during which I can't do much of anything - except pour the drops in and cover my eyes with warm compresses. Some days I can read, even if I can't stitch. (Have you ever noticed that you do not blink as much while stitching as you do during other activities? It's true.)

If one goes by the interstates, I'm about 270 miles from Joan. It's also cold and snowy here. Bismarck had 6 or 7 consecutive days of subzero highs this month, and we've been getting plenty of "nuisance" snowfallss, which are snowfalls of under 2 inches; our HOA has a snow removal contractor come in to clean driveways and sidewalks when we get 2 inches or more, but it's up to the individual homeowner to clean up anything less than 2 inches. Ugh. I have a backache from shoveling today.

Arliss

Rich

Feb 24, 2019, 9:53:31 AM2/24/19
On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 08:40:28 -0800 (PST), ndjo...@gmail.com wrote:

>What is everyone working on?

>Joan in very snowy ND!

I just finished a little wren and "Tweet Heart Ornament" by Lucie
Heaton (a little bird from a magazine). I had it framed. Picture is
on FaceBook. I also finished "Grateful Every Day" by My Big Toe. I am
amost half done on "Holloween" by Renato Parolin. I put it aside to
work on "Hope Blooms" by Patti Conner of SamSarah Design Studio. The
chart uses all 35 of the new DMC colors.

Rich

ndjo...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2019, 5:25:15 PM2/25/19
On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 11:10:51 AM UTC-6, Nyssa wrote:

> I love seeing posts here again!
>
> So I'll add my own. ;)
>
> I'm currently re-stitching models for my first four Goodie
> Bag charts. Zweigart liked them so much, they kept my original
> models for display at trade shows and such.
Congrats on that, Nyssa! What a good feeling that must give you.

> The big news I've been holding back is that I've developed
> a new website along with several friends (one of whom is
> another stitcher) and will eventually be re-posting my old
> freebie charts on the new site plus newer, exclusive designs
> that have never before been published.

<snip>

> I'll let everyone here know when the site goes live.
>
> I can't wait to start getting feedback on all the work that's
> been done.

Sounds fantastic! Please do let us know!
Joan

ndjo...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2019, 5:31:12 PM2/25/19
On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 4:29:49 PM UTC-6, Arliss Link wrote:
> I'm peaking in, since I do get the digest and see that Joan has mentioned my name. I know that Joan intends to enter the foxgloves bell pull at her county fair. I would hope (but suspect it might not work out) that she could enter her hollyhock bell pull at the same time; I might persuade her to hold off and enter both at the same time next year.

LOL! There's absolutely *no* way I'd get them both done! Haven't touched the hollyhocks since I started yours.

> I've been working on a couple of Mirabilia designs - Stone Roses (just beads and ribbon work left) and Lady of the Flag (just a bit of a hair color change,

Ooo, you didn't tell me you finally decided on the hair! Last I heard you were pulling your own out trying to decide! ;)

We're supposed to get *another* 1-3 tomorrow or Wed. sigh. I just hope it's a nice slooooooow melt, so we don't have another 1997 flood! Everyone is complaining about the snow, but these are the kinds of winters I remember while growing up, so to me it's back to "normal". People just aren't used to it anymore, I think.

Joan

ndjo...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2019, 5:32:31 PM2/25/19
On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 8:53:31 AM UTC-6, Rich wrote:

> I just finished a little wren and "Tweet Heart Ornament" by Lucie
> Heaton (a little bird from a magazine). I had it framed. Picture is
> on FaceBook. I also finished "Grateful Every Day" by My Big Toe. I am
> almost half done on "Halloween" by Renato Parolin. I put it aside to
> work on "Hope Blooms" by Patti Conner of SamSarah Design Studio. The
> chart uses all 35 of the new DMC colors.
>
> Rich
You've been a busy boy, Rich! Those look like fun designs.
Joan

Arliss Link

Feb 26, 2019, 6:25:45 PM2/26/19
I would hope (but suspect it might not work out) that she could enter her hollyhock bell pull at the same time; I might persuade her to hold off and enter both at the same time next year.

> LOL! There's absolutely *no* way I'd get them both done! Haven't touched the hollyhocks since I started yours.

Hahahahaha I said you could hold off and enter both together NEXT year.

> > I've been working on a couple of Mirabilia designs - Stone Roses (just beads and ribbon work left) and Lady of the Flag (just a bit of a hair color change,
>
> Ooo, you didn't tell me you finally decided on the hair! Last I heard you were pulling your own out trying to decide! ;)

And I'm still unsure, but I'll try some colors (I've pulled a lot of "blonde" flosses and will try them out on a scrap of the fabric; the over-dyed fabric is the main problem, but I'm not going to start over on the recommended fabric now.

> We're supposed to get *another* 1-3 tomorrow or Wed. sigh. I just hope it's a nice slooooooow melt, so we don't have another 1997 flood! Everyone is complaining about the snow, but these are the kinds of winters I remember while growing up, so to me it's back to "normal". People just aren't used to it anymore, I think.
>
> Joan

I think you've had more snow there than we have here, but there's still an awful lot piled up on my lawn. (It does provide some privacy from the street!) But this month has been just bitterly cold, with nothing above 20F the whole month - and that happened only once or twice on widely separated days. My gas fireplace gets used a lot. It snowed overnight and most of today, but it *might* be finished now.

ndjo...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2019, 7:01:49 PM2/26/19
On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 5:25:45 PM UTC-6, Arliss Link wrote:

> Hahahahaha I said you could hold off and enter both together NEXT year.
True, but then I wouldn't get blue and purple ribbons on *both* of them!!! There *is* a method to my madness. :)

> I think you've had more snow there than we have here, but there's still an awful lot piled up on my lawn. (It does provide some privacy from the street!) But this month has been just bitterly cold, with nothing above 20F the whole month - and that happened only once or twice on widely separated days. My gas fireplace gets used a lot. It snowed overnight and most of today, but it *might* be finished now.

I'll have to send you the pic of my mom's mailbox. All you can see is the door! It's been snowing lightly here since noon and is supposed to continue into tomorrow. With no wind, it's making the roads slippery (there is *something* good about wind! LOL).

Joan

Sandy Cowan

Oct 30, 2020, 8:35:48 AM10/30/20
You can find conversion charts on the web. Bucilla kits use Bucilla thread numbers which can be converted using the charts. Best Wishes

Sandy

spice...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2021, 8:45:54 PM1/7/21
On Wednesday, April 10, 1996 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Diane Dodds wrote:
> I am currently working a Bucilla kit called
> the Needlework Shoppe. I have come to just about
> the 3/4 point in the kit and I am running out of
> about 1/3 of the different colours. Bucilla lists
> a bunch of numbers in their thread list in the kit,
> but don't say whether the threads are DMC or whatever.
> Does anyone know what type of thread they use? I
> intend to finish the kit as far as possible, keeping
> a sample of which threads I am running out of, try
> and match it to DMC or Anchor and if that is not
> possible I will have to write to them for additional
> supplies.
> Add my voice to the list of people stating why
> they don't buy kits! I keep this kit at work so
> that I have something to stitch at noonhour and it
> is most annoying that I won't get this finished
> before it is too nice outside to sit inside stitching!
> Arrgh.

Have you seen the group is now getting taken over by a spammer..i have not had any posting for some time

spice...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2021, 9:00:41 PM1/7/21
is anyone around any more

Barb L

Jan 8, 2021, 5:15:31 AM1/8/21
what happen to this group?

Rich

Jan 14, 2021, 9:50:09 PM1/14/21
Did you see this post is from 1996?

I check in almost every week, not much happening here. Most posters
have moved to the Facebook group.

Rich

Tina Fraser

Feb 22, 2021, 11:48:42 AM2/22/21
> Did you see this post is from 1996?
>
> I check in almost every week, not much happening here. Most posters
> have moved to the Facebook group.
>
> Rich

LOL. I happened upon this based on a question in another facebook stitching group asking what TWBB was (Teresa Wentzler Bulletin Board), and I replied about the old RCTN, and happened to search it, and the google group was still in my favorites. I had no idea RCTN had a facebook group....until now. LOL.

Elizabeth L

Oct 21, 2021, 1:34:24 PM10/21/21
Making a Daisy Kingdom/Bucilla cross stitch stocking from a vintage kit. I made two for my daughters using the floss in the kits, but wanted to make one for my niece using DMC thread. (The thread included is not great quality, and the reds bleed). Having a hard time figuring out which DMC colors to use. Anyway, this page came up in my google search. The post from Todd with the suggested colors was really helpful, but I still need suggestions for blue, med green, cream and tan. I know this thread is from 1996, so not sure if anyone will have any advice, but figured I would try!

Arliss Link

Oct 21, 2021, 3:43:01 PM10/21/21
There are several conversions sites. I Googled and found this one. Colors might not be an exact match, of course, and you might have to tweak them a bit.

https://www.cyberstitchers.com/stitching_tools/floss_conversion_charts/bucilla_to_dmc

Connor Stern

Nov 18, 2021, 8:02:10 AM11/18/21
Hi there,
is there a link to this facebook page somewhere?
I am in a group on facebook but it is a bit small and there is a lot of people advertising their pattern shops on Etsy. I don't really mind that but as a result people don't really talk about the actual stitching part!

Rich

Nov 21, 2021, 5:57:06 AM11/21/21
On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 05:02:07 -0800 (PST), Connor Stern
<tot...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi there,
>is there a link to this facebook page somewhere?
>I am in a group on facebook but it is a bit small and there is a lot of people advertising their pattern shops on Etsy. I don't really mind that but as a result people don't really talk about the actual stitching part!

The group is "RCTN on FB"

I can't link it because I can't get on FB on my computer.