Martina Weber/Chatelaine?

Felice Friese

Jun 8, 2006, 2:03:58 PM6/8/06
Has anyone done any of Martina Weber's designs? I've fallen in love with her
Japanese Octagon Box but it's a Major Project (in terms of money and time)
and before I undertake it I'd like to hear from someone who is familiar with
her work.

Felice

Mulyanti

Jun 8, 2006, 5:06:33 PM6/8/06
I haven't done any myself, but I have friends who love them. In fact
two of them met in a Martina Weber chat room. They have found a very
supportive online community.

Did you know she offers the Japanese box as an online course?

http://chatelaine-design.de/newweb/cgi-bin/detail.pl?japanesebox

Sara

Jun 9, 2006, 9:19:12 AM6/9/06

I have recently finished Alhambra Garden and am currently working on
Weeping Willow Keep. I bought both of these as chart packs and not as
class project pdfs. The charts are on multiple pages with 2 column
overlaps, no gridding, and clear printing. On Alhambra Garden there
are a few symbols that are unnecessarily similar, but if you get on
her EZ board BB, you can read the tips and not get caught by that sort
of thing. No blends, easy specialty stitches (rhodes, eyelets)
minimal backstitching. Lots of beads, and I highly recommend (no
affiliation) getting the bead packs from European Cross stitch, unless
you have access to Delicas.
Lots of fun to stitch, and I have my eye on several more of her
patterns.

Sara

Felice Friese

Jun 8, 2006, 10:27:34 PM6/8/06

"Mulyanti" <emas...@mac.com> wrote in message

Thanks for the encouraging words. Actually, one factor in my being attracted
to the design was the online support available in working the project, and
the probability of some heavy support when it comes to assembly!

Felice

Felice Friese

Jun 9, 2006, 12:17:26 PM6/9/06

"Sara" <bmc...@aol.com> wrote in message

Thank you SO much, Sara. I was encouraged by your doing a second of
Martina's works and assume you enjoyed the first enough to come back for
more!. I would get the whole package from European XS, which seems more
sensible than collecting the bits and pieces on my own. I am wondering,
though, whether I can safely substitute DMC for the silk or whether I should
go for broke. Do you have an opinion on that?

Felice

Tegan

Jun 9, 2006, 3:56:52 PM6/9/06

Sara wrote: (and I snipped a bunch)

> I have recently finished Alhambra Garden and am currently working on
> Weeping Willow Keep. >

> Sara

How are you finding Weeping Willow Keep to work up for you? I have the
chartpak for it, but have not yet settled on a fabric for it. Are you
doing it dark or light? I'm sorta trying to get other things finished
(what DOES that word mean?) before I tackle that one, though. It will
be my first Martina design, but in looking over the chart, it looks
fairly straightforward.
Tegan

Sara

Jun 10, 2006, 7:59:10 AM6/10/06

Oh yes, very enjoyable to stitch. On the Chatelaine BB (it's on
ezboards, there are supply lists and substitution suggestions. I
think the solid silks could easliy be swtiched out to DMC. For the
variegated ones it would depend on the color. A quick post in the
design forum would get you the specific answers you need, since I
don't have that project in stash. The Chatelaine BBers are a friendly
bunch and will be more than happy to enable you!

Sara

Sara

Jun 10, 2006, 8:05:08 AM6/10/06

H i Tegan!

You're right, it is straightforward. Not much backstitching at all,
and it's clearly marked. The specialty stitches are eyelets and
rhodes and a some queen stitches. And even those could be subbed to
smyrnas or a star stitch if queen stitches are on your most hated
list. I think the major challenge will be the monogram bottom center,
and getting that in the right position. It's over 1.
I am using Cadet Blue Murano, which is more or less DMC 3760 (I
think). LMK if you want me to send you a swatch.

Sara

Darla

Jun 17, 2006, 12:37:50 AM6/17/06
On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 14:03:58 -0400, "Felice Friese"
<fri...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Has anyone done any of Martina Weber's designs?

A friend has done at least two, and has a third (at least) in progress
(she's stopped to finish Noah's Sub for her son). Not my style, but
they're undeniably beautiful. Enjoy.