DMC forbids online sales of their floss

Laura Stabler

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
I've just read on one of the bulletin boards that DMC (and this has been
confirmed by DMC via email) has decided to forbid their floss from being
sold online. DMC has said if they learned that DMC floss was advertised
by a store on-line, they would not sell to them at all. The way that the
letter is worded, even shops that have a physical storefront but also
sell online cannot advertise DMC online. I'm assuming that this is an
attempt by DMC to "support" LNSs by making it difficult for online shops
to compete.

My question is: what about Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Michaels and other
places that far underprice LNSs for floss? LNSs have no hope of ever
being able to sell at their prices, but I suppose DMC makes too much
money from *those* sales to ever pull out of there. And what about all
the stitchers that have no access to DMC floss and other products
*except* online? Are they just out of luck?

Personally, I'm going to write a letter to DMC telling them exactly what
I think of their new policy, and I'd encourage all other stitchers who
feel this is unfair to both retailer and stitchers alike to do the same.

Laura
--
Laura (remove .ie to email me)

WIP: Harvest Moon - Shepherd's Bush, "Little Lambs/My ABC's/Hush Little
Baby" - JBW Designs (as a birth sampler), Itty Bitty Honey - Twisted
Threads, Night - Teresa Wentzler, Fairy Moon - Mirabilia

Laura Stabler

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
In article <MPG.135d03a98...@news.earthlink.net>, Laura Stabler
(lsta...@earthlink.net.ie) proposed...

> I've just read on one of the bulletin boards that DMC (and this has been
> confirmed by DMC via email) has decided to forbid their floss from being
> sold online. DMC has said if they learned that DMC floss was advertised

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I just got the whole text of the
letter from DMC from a retailer on one of the message boards. Here it
is:

"The 2000 Program
DMC Distributor Policy
DMC Internet Selling Policy

DMC Distributors are NOT permitted to sell open stock DMC Embroidery
Floss (Article 117) and Floss Packs* (collectively "Floss Products") to
other distributors or retailers that are known to resell, or are
reasonably beleived to intend to resell, such Floss Products via the
Intenet (collectively "Internet Retailers").

DMC Distributors are not permitted to sell open stock Floss Products to
consumers via the Internet. In addition, Retailers are not permitted to
sell Floss Products to consumers or other retailers via the Internet.

Subject to the remaining terms and conditions of this policy, DMC
Distributors are permitted to sell all other DMC Needlework threads,
crochet cottons, kits, needles and accessories (collectively, "Permitted
Products") to Internet Retailers for resale via the Internet.

Permitted Products may be purchased or sold by Internet Retailers ONLY
within the United States and may be resold only to purchasers located
within the United States.

DMC Distibutors are not authorized to sell Permitted Products to Internet
Retailers that are located OUTSIDE the United States or that are known to
resell or are reasonably believed to intend to resell such Permitted
Products to purchasers that are located OUTSIDE the United States.

Each Internet Retailer selling Permitted Products must post the following
statement on its website: "DMC products are available for sale and
purchase only within the United States and cannot be purchased, sold or
shipped outside the United States."

DMC Distributors are permitted to accept orders vis the Internet from
non-Internet Retailers (ie., "brick and mortar" stores) for any DMC
products, including Floss Products.

For purposes of this policy, the term "Internet" includes the global
computer and telecommunications network currently known as the Internet,
as well as any sub-networks, so-called "intranet" or "extranet" networks
or any successor network to the Internet. The term "Distributo" means any
wholesaler purchasing DMC products directly from DMC for purposes of
resale to retail stores.

*The following items are considered to be Floss Packs: Articles
117F25PK36, 117F25BOUQ, 117F25HDAY, 117F25ALLT,and 117F25NP36."

It appears to me that DMC's intent is to stop those stitchers who are
overseas from purchasing floss at a lower price online than they would
have to if they bought locally.

jke

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
I totally agree! I personally don't buy floss online, however, I do buy just
about all other stash online.I have all the DMC colors so when I do need to
replace one or two skeins I do go to Wal-Mart where they are .18 cents. But
even my (Not so) LNS sells them for .25 cents! I cant imagine what a problem
it would be for someone who didn't have a local place to buy floss!
Julie
W.I.P. L&L's Song of Christmas
Laura Stabler <lsta...@earthlink.net.ie> wrote in message

> I've just read on one of the bulletin boards that DMC (and this has been
> confirmed by DMC via email) has decided to forbid their floss from being
> sold online. DMC has said if they learned that DMC floss was advertised
> by a store on-line, they would not sell to them at all. The way that the
> letter is worded, even shops that have a physical storefront but also
> sell online cannot advertise DMC online. I'm assuming that this is an
> attempt by DMC to "support" LNSs by making it difficult for online shops
> to compete.
>
> My question is: what about Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Michaels and other
> places that far underprice LNSs for floss? LNSs have no hope of ever
> being able to sell at their prices, but I suppose DMC makes too much
> money from *those* sales to ever pull out of there. And what about all
> the stitchers that have no access to DMC floss and other products
> *except* online? Are they just out of luck?
>
> Personally, I'm going to write a letter to DMC telling them exactly what
> I think of their new policy, and I'd encourage all other stitchers who
> feel this is unfair to both retailer and stitchers alike to do the same.

Karen C - California

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
Some of my new skeins are labelled "for sale only outside the European Union"
(not sure if that's the exact wording). This may be a legal issue concerning
the laws of the E.E.U.

However, I hope the postal service comes to arrest me soon, because I still
have no problem with having overseas friends send me their shopping list for me
to get floss for them at US prices and then shipping the floss to them. The
floss is being SOLD outside the E.E.U., to me. What I do with it after I make
the purchase is none of their business.

Are they going to throw me in jail for sending my cousin in Germany a birthday
gift of a kit that contains DMC floss?

Incidentally, for those who don't have a LNS, Herrschnerrs and American
Needlewoman have print catalogues from which you can order your floss, for 33c,
without needing to deal with this "no on-line sales" edict. Call A.N. at
1-800-433-2231 for a catalogue or to order. They're the nicest people!

Finished 2/24/2000 - Sweet 16 (Silver Lining)
WIP:Mermaid of the Pearls, Teen Creed, California Sampler, America the
Beautiful (Nimble Needle), antique green doll (Vervaco)
Don't risk your on-line privileges! I forward all Spam to administration.

Katie Gustafsson

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00

> sell online cannot advertise DMC online. I'm assuming that this is an
> attempt by DMC to "support" LNSs by making it difficult for online shops
> to compete.

When I heard this news from DMC I assumed, as a European who has to pay
the excessive price of DMC in Europe (my LNS in Sweden charges $1.12 US
per skein of floss), that this was to preventing those not based in the
US from gaining on the US prices over the internet.

I wonder if they will then tell US retailers not to sell to Europeans on
holiday in the US next?

Katie

CatWom7711

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
>I still
>have no problem with having overseas friends send me their shopping list for
>me
>to get floss for them at US prices and then shipping the floss to them.

I'm with you Kim -- I do this for several of my cyber-buddies who live outside
the US. And I get some fantastic stuff bak in return too! I do believe that
DMC is gonna have a lot of problems with this one.

>This may be a legal issue concerning
>the laws of the E.E.U.

Now, this is probably the reason -- can't think of any other that would justify
the uproar this will cause. You'd think the idiot who wrote the letter to the
retailers would mention this little fact. If it's something to do with the EEU
laws, then DMC doesn't have much of a choice. But if that is the case & people
were told the situation, then we wouldn't be getting all upset about it. It
will be interesting to see what unfolds in this drama!!! CiaoMeow >^;;^<
PAX, Tia Mary >^;;^< (remove nekoluvr to e-mail)
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!! Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs -- and they make the
BEST specialty fibers too!

LL314158

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
> DMC has decided to forbid their floss from being
>sold online.

hi,
this is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard.. do they have any idea
the money they will lose because of it.. if I didn't have so much of it, I
WOULD stop using it, and just use jp coates, and anchor.. if I had a place with
a supply of these.. that is what I would do...I do have a good bit of both on
hand.. so I may just try to switch over.. I like the colors of these much
better anyway.. they are brighter, and don't tangle near as easily.. & most all
charts have conversion charts for the other flosses.. so DMC better do some
rethinking.. or they may lose a lot of customers...jmho, LL

COLVIN

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
I can't believe DMC would be so draconian as to forbid sale of floss online.
Does that mean that online distributors like Herrschners can no longer sell
floss to customers in or out of the U.S.A.? Ridiculous!

The chart I am currently working on could only be completed by ordering
floss online. My LNS didn't have all the colors I needed, nor did WalMart
or Hobby Lobby.

If they forbid online sale, what about catalog sales? Will that be next?
Catalog sales also take business away from the LNS.

I'm going to write to DMC, and protest their action.

kc

Laura Stabler <lsta...@earthlink.net.ie> wrote in message
> I've just read on one of the bulletin boards that DMC (and this has been

> confirmed by DMC via email) has decided to forbid their floss from being
> sold online.

Laura Stabler

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
In article <20000411115153...@ng-fn1.aol.com>, CatWom7711
(catwo...@aol.comnekoluvr) proposed...

> >This may be a legal issue concerning
> >the laws of the E.E.U.
>
> Now, this is probably the reason -- can't think of any other that would justify
> the uproar this will cause. You'd think the idiot who wrote the letter to the
> retailers would mention this little fact. If it's something to do with the EEU
> laws, then DMC doesn't have much of a choice. But if that is the case & people
> were told the situation, then we wouldn't be getting all upset about it. It
> will be interesting to see what unfolds in this drama!!!

I think that the E.U. regulations are probably at the heart of this as
well.

However, that being said -- why not forbid sales of floss outside the US
via the internet (like they are doing with their other products) rather
than an outright ban on selling floss online period? Right now, as their
policy stands, you can't sell DMC floss to *anyone* inside or outside the
US online. I think that there are other reasons behind the total ban on
selling floss other than just the issue with the EU.

COLVIN

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
On second thought, if DMC goes through with this nutty idea, I will just
switch brands.

DMC just doesn't get it.............the internet is here to stay and is
changing fundamentally the way business is done. DMC risks losing out on a
very lucrative opportunity unless it can find a way to adapt to the internet
and start really thinking globally.

I feel sorry for the LNS, but they may end up going the way of the Mom & Pop
grocery stores after WalMart moved in.

kc

Morag

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
Surely this is anti - competitive and protectionist. Over here in the UK
there has been a lot of fuss made cy companies such as Levis when
supermarkets sell their products. One of the biggest supermarkets (recently
bought out by Walmart) is taking a "well, see you in court, then" stance.
I'd like to see DMC try to prosecute. I try to buy all my stranded cotton
over the Net - we in Europe are being ripped off left right and centre by
DMC who chage 3 times what you guys in the States pay.
Morag

Laura Stabler wrote in message ...

>I've just read on one of the bulletin boards that DMC (and this has been
>confirmed by DMC via email) has decided to forbid their floss from being

>sold online. DMC has said if they learned that DMC floss was advertised
>by a store on-line, they would not sell to them at all. The way that the
>letter is worded, even shops that have a physical storefront but also

>sell online cannot advertise DMC online. I'm assuming that this is an
>attempt by DMC to "support" LNSs by making it difficult for online shops
>to compete.
>

>My question is: what about Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Michaels and other
>places that far underprice LNSs for floss? LNSs have no hope of ever
>being able to sell at their prices, but I suppose DMC makes too much
>money from *those* sales to ever pull out of there. And what about all
>the stitchers that have no access to DMC floss and other products
>*except* online? Are they just out of luck?
>
>Personally, I'm going to write a letter to DMC telling them exactly what
>I think of their new policy, and I'd encourage all other stitchers who
>feel this is unfair to both retailer and stitchers alike to do the same.
>
>Laura

Marion

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
This is ridiculous! I firmly believe it is a way to prevent European
stitchers from getting their floss at prices *half* of what they are
here in Europe.
I can not imagine that this stipulation ('for sale only outside the
E.U.') has anything to do with any European laws. The EU is much less
protective of its inner market than for instance the US are!
In my opinion this is strictly a way for DMC to protect their
ridiculously high prices in Europe.

Does anyone in the US think that a linen for DMC exchange would work?
I recently noticed that linen (Cashel, Belfast etc.) are sold in the US
for $58 to $60, while I just this week bought a whole meter (approx. 4"
more than a yard) for less than $20.
This way both would be gifts, thus not illegal by (at least) DMC's
standards...
--
Marion Jacobs
Amsterdam

X/NL/S/-/3F/1C/Sun and Moon, Lady of Shalott,The Enchanter,
The Sorceress/XK/-/D/:-X/LSQO/M/B/b/R+10/S/Kc/E/L/G/W+/
George Clooney/Anne Rice/chocolate

Catherine

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
>Does anyone in the US think that a linen for DMC exchange would work?
>I recently noticed that linen (Cashel, Belfast etc.) are sold in the US
>for $58 to $60, while I just this week bought a whole meter (approx. 4"
>more than a yard) for less than $20.
>This way both would be gifts, thus not illegal by (at least) DMC's
>standards...
>--
>Marion Jacobs
>Amsterdam

I'm In!!!

Catherine
...In the end the love you take is equal to the love you make

http://catscustomkeepsakes.com

Kathleen Dyer

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
Laura Stabler (lsta...@earthlink.net.ie) wrote:
> DMC Distributors are NOT permitted to sell open stock DMC Embroidery
> Floss (Article 117) and Floss Packs* (collectively "Floss Products") to
> other distributors or retailers that are known to resell, or are
> reasonably beleived to intend to resell, such Floss Products via the
> Intenet (collectively "Internet Retailers").

> DMC Distributors are not permitted to sell open stock Floss Products to
> consumers via the Internet. In addition, Retailers are not permitted to
> sell Floss Products to consumers or other retailers via the Internet.

*If* the purpose of the policy is to prevent the sale of floss outside
the USA, they've not designed the policy very well. If I'm interpreting
the letter correctly, they're *also* preventing online sales to *USA*
stitchers. If the policy has some other purpose, then someone at that
company truly doesn't understand what the Internet is.

So, I *can* call up (fill in a retailer's name) by phone and order floss,
but I *cannot* email that same retailer and order floss?
So, I can send a snail mail order to the retailer, but cannot place that
same order by on online shopping cart?

~ What if I email the retailer to say I'm snail mailing an order for
floss? Has the retailer sold by Internet?

~ What if I use the retailer's Web site to get the phone number
in order to order the floss by *phone*? Has the retailer sold by
Internet?

~ What if the retailer doesn't even have a Web site, but I use an
online phone directory to get their phone number? Has the retailer
sold by Internet?

~ What if there's a question about my *snail* mailed order, and the
retailer emails me for clarification? Has the retailer sold by
Internet?

I get a feeling that this policy was created by someone who is not
familiar with the Internet.

Kathy (living in the USA)
Kathleen Dyer <mailto:kd...@dnai.com> |"Time has little to
Counted Cross Stitch, Needlework and Stitchery Page | do with infinity and
<http://www.dnai.com/~kdyer/> | jelly doughnuts."

mak

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
If you think about it for a moment, the biggest loser with internet sales of
DMC floss is not your local LNS, who usually carries DMC as a customer
courtesy these days, but the Wall-Marts, K-Marts, Hobby Lobbys, JoAnn's,
etc. My guess is that the huge chains are the ones complaining to DMC that
they are losing floss business due to internet sales. After all, DMC
realizes that they didn't just ban internet sales to Europe.

> In article <MPG.135d03a98...@news.earthlink.net>, Laura Stabler
> (lsta...@earthlink.net.ie) proposed...

> > I've just read on one of the bulletin boards that DMC (and this has been
> > confirmed by DMC via email) has decided to forbid their floss from being
> > sold online. DMC has said if they learned that DMC floss was advertised
>

> Sorry to reply to my own post, but I just got the whole text of the
> letter from DMC from a retailer on one of the message boards. Here it
> is:
>
> "The 2000 Program
> DMC Distributor Policy
> DMC Internet Selling Policy
>

> DMC Distributors are NOT permitted to sell open stock DMC Embroidery
> Floss (Article 117) and Floss Packs* (collectively "Floss Products") to
> other distributors or retailers that are known to resell, or are
> reasonably beleived to intend to resell, such Floss Products via the
> Intenet (collectively "Internet Retailers").
>
> DMC Distributors are not permitted to sell open stock Floss Products to
> consumers via the Internet. In addition, Retailers are not permitted to
> sell Floss Products to consumers or other retailers via the Internet.

Dr. Brat

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
Sounds like it might be time to switch to Anchor...

Elizabeth in Salem, MA

Karin

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
I think you hit the nail on the head. Big corporate America is squeezing.
To reply to sender -- please remove NOSPAM from my address

"mak" <mak...@tir.com> wrote in message

F.James Cripwell

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
Kathleen Dyer (kd...@triton.dnai.com) writes:

> *If* the purpose of the policy is to prevent the sale of floss outside
> the USA, they've not designed the policy very well. If I'm interpreting
> the letter correctly, they're *also* preventing online sales to *USA*
> stitchers. If the policy has some other purpose, then someone at that
> company truly doesn't understand what the Internet is.
>
> So, I *can* call up (fill in a retailer's name) by phone and order floss,
> but I *cannot* email that same retailer and order floss?
> So, I can send a snail mail order to the retailer, but cannot place that
> same order by on online shopping cart?
>
> ~ What if I email the retailer to say I'm snail mailing an order for
> floss? Has the retailer sold by Internet?
>
> ~ What if I use the retailer's Web site to get the phone number
> in order to order the floss by *phone*? Has the retailer sold by
> Internet?
>
> ~ What if the retailer doesn't even have a Web site, but I use an
> online phone directory to get their phone number? Has the retailer
> sold by Internet?
>
> ~ What if there's a question about my *snail* mailed order, and the
> retailer emails me for clarification? Has the retailer sold by
> Internet?
>
> I get a feeling that this policy was created by someone who is not
> familiar with the Internet.
>
> Kathy (living in the USA)

Bravo Kathy!!!!!! It would be interesting, if DMC reads rctn, to
have an official response from them posted to us - if they have the
courage. It would also be interesting if on-line sellers of DMC floss who
read rctn, would give us an idea if they intend to take any notice of this
edict from DMC. Nordic Needle? Herreschners? Mary Maxim? and of course
any others I cannot think of off the top of my head.
--
Jim Cripwell. Treat the earth well. For it was not given to us
by our parents, but lent to us by our children.

Deb from ToonTown

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
Karin wrote:

> I think you hit the nail on the head. Big corporate America is squeezing.
> To reply to sender -- please remove NOSPAM from my address
>
> "mak" <mak...@tir.com> wrote in message
> > If you think about it for a moment, the biggest loser with internet sales
> of
> > DMC floss is not your local LNS, who usually carries DMC as a customer
> > courtesy these days, but the Wall-Marts, K-Marts, Hobby Lobbys, JoAnn's,
> > etc. My guess is that the huge chains are the ones complaining to DMC
> that
> > they are losing floss business due to internet sales. After all, DMC
> > realizes that they didn't just ban internet sales to Europe.

I don't think that the chains actually make money on floss! Don't they
use it as a loss-leader just to get people into the store and buy other
things? And if they aren't making money on floss, why is DMC so
concerned? Besides, their business is making and selling floss to
companies. Where it goes from there is really not up to them to
control. And are *any* of the above mentioned companies present in
Europe????? And if they are, they probably don't even carry DMC.
Wal-Mart in Canada
carries J.P. Coates, not DMC.
Just Ranting
Deb B

--
~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~
You're not going crazy. You're going sane...in a crazy world!

Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here.
As Good as it Gets
~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~

Deb from ToonTown

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
"Dr. Brat" wrote:

> Sounds like it might be time to switch to Anchor...
>
> Elizabeth in Salem, MA

Sounds like a good plan to me!

Jeri

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00

CatWom7711 <catwo...@aol.comnekoluvr> wrote in message

> I'm with you Kim -- I do this for several of my cyber-buddies who live
outside
> the US. And I get some fantastic stuff bak in return too! I do believe
that
> DMC is gonna have a lot of problems with this one.
>
> >This may be a legal issue concerning
> >the laws of the E.E.U.
>
> Now, this is probably the reason -- can't think of any other that would
justify
> the uproar this will cause.
<snip>

If this is the reason then someone at DMC needs to sit down and think it
through. As you said, it won't stop people from buying floss and sending it
to friends outside of the US. A much simpler approach would be to have
non-European online retailers state no overseas sales of DMC floss.
There has to be another reason. I can't believe a company would be that
dumb. IMO they're shooting themselves in the foot.

I've never used Anchor but I think I'll start looking for it.
--
Jeri
starg...@hotmail.com

Jeri

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00

Katie Gustafsson <Ka...@transed.nu> wrote in message

> > sell online cannot advertise DMC online. I'm assuming that this is an
> > attempt by DMC to "support" LNSs by making it difficult for online shops
> > to compete.
>
> When I heard this news from DMC I assumed, as a European who has to pay
> the excessive price of DMC in Europe (my LNS in Sweden charges $1.12 US
> per skein of floss), that this was to preventing those not based in the
> US from gaining on the US prices over the internet.
>
> I wonder if they will then tell US retailers not to sell to Europeans on
> holiday in the US next?
>
> Katie

I know this is a serious subject but I had to smile when I read this. A
picture flashed in my head of false bottomed suitcases filled with floss.

Deb Wise

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
I can't think of any policy more idiotic than one involving the idea of who
not to sell to. I have a suspicion that they will see the error of their ways
soon after the implementation of this order. Money does talk and it's going to
start screaming when they see the loss of sales over the internet. Deb Wise

Karin wrote:

> I think you hit the nail on the head. Big corporate America is squeezing.
> To reply to sender -- please remove NOSPAM from my address
>
> "mak" <mak...@tir.com> wrote in message
> > If you think about it for a moment, the biggest loser with internet sales
> of
> > DMC floss is not your local LNS, who usually carries DMC as a customer
> > courtesy these days, but the Wall-Marts, K-Marts, Hobby Lobbys, JoAnn's,
> > etc. My guess is that the huge chains are the ones complaining to DMC
> that
> > they are losing floss business due to internet sales. After all, DMC
> > realizes that they didn't just ban internet sales to Europe.

Gillian Trushel

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Gillian

Marion wrote:

> This is ridiculous! I firmly believe it is a way to prevent European
> stitchers from getting their floss at prices *half* of what they are
> here in Europe.
> I can not imagine that this stipulation ('for sale only outside the
> E.U.') has anything to do with any European laws. The EU is much less
> protective of its inner market than for instance the US are!
> In my opinion this is strictly a way for DMC to protect their
> ridiculously high prices in Europe.
>

> Does anyone in the US think that a linen for DMC exchange would work?
> I recently noticed that linen (Cashel, Belfast etc.) are sold in the US
> for $58 to $60, while I just this week bought a whole meter (approx. 4"
> more than a yard) for less than $20.
> This way both would be gifts, thus not illegal by (at least) DMC's
> standards...
> --
> Marion Jacobs
> Amsterdam

SSherburne

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
Marion <maj...@wxs.nl> wrote:
>Does anyone in the US think that a linen >for DMC exchange would work? I
recently >noticed that linen (Cashel, Belfast etc.) >are sold in the US for $58
to $60, while I >just this week bought a whole meter >(approx. 4" more than a
yard) for less >than $20.
I'd be glad to do that. ANd by the way, my local chain, A.C. Moore often (like
every 6 weeks) has been having floss at 12 cents a skein. Have to see when it
is that price again.
Sue

/
/
( ( / )
( ( ( A )
( ( ( ( ( ( 0 \
( ( ( ( _ \
( ( ( / \___ /

Laura Stabler

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
In article <8d068t$suu$1...@freenet9.carleton.ca>, F.James Cripwell (bf906
@FreeNet.Carleton.CA) proposed...

> Bravo Kathy!!!!!! It would be interesting, if DMC reads rctn, to
> have an official response from them posted to us - if they have the
> courage. It would also be interesting if on-line sellers of DMC floss who
> read rctn, would give us an idea if they intend to take any notice of this
> edict from DMC. Nordic Needle? Herreschners? Mary Maxim? and of course
> any others I cannot think of off the top of my head.

Jim --

Although I do not know about the others, Mary Maxim has already removed
DMC floss from their website.

A. Kearney

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
On Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:17:54 GMT, Deb from ToonTown <hey...@iname.com>
wrote:

>I don't think that the chains actually make money on floss! Don't they
>use it as a loss-leader just to get people into the store and buy other
>things? And if they aren't making money on floss, why is DMC so
>concerned?

DMC is concerned because if people aren't buying floss at Walmart,
Kmart, etc, then Walmart, Kmart, etc aren't buying floss from DMC.
Think about the volume loss DMC is starting to experience now if
people are no longer buying from places like that.

Alison

wol...@pacbell.net

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
"F.James Cripwell" <bf...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message
<snip>

> courage. It would also be interesting if on-line sellers of DMC floss who
> read rctn, would give us an idea if they intend to take any notice of this
> edict from DMC. Nordic Needle? Herreschners? Mary Maxim? and of course
> any others I cannot think of off the top of my head.

It might be interesting to hear from online sellers, but I don't think it
would very wise or businesslike of them to post that they intended to flout
DMC's little rule.

Nan Evelyn

CatWom7711

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
Hi Guys, just went to the DMC website & posted the following -- also e-mailed
it to the, There is a nice thread in the Guest Book aboaut this -- with
everyone saying the same thing -- just STOP buying DMC & see how they like it!
Does this decision also mean that THEY -- DMC -- can't sell their own floss
on-line????

To the management at DMC -- I must protest your recent decision to forbid
on-line sale of DMC floss. The Internet is quite often the only way many
stitchers can get supplies. As seen from other posts -- people WILL stop using
DMC and switch to Anchor due to this apparently heavy-handed decision by DMC
management. I would hope that someone at DMC will either rescind this decision
or post the rationale behind it. If there is a truly legitimate reason for this
corporate decision, then someone at DMC had better let us "little people" know
what it is or you will soon find you have lost a LOT of customers! A post to
RCTN would be one of the best places for someone at DMC to put out the word on
just WHY you are doing this. CiaoMeow >^;;^<

COLVIN

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
For Morag,

I know stitchers outside the US are getting ripped off; it's not fair that
there should be such a price difference for the same product. Maybe if
enough people raise a stink about it DMC will back off and try to see it
from the consumers' point of view. DMC may have more money than we do, but
we have more numbers and more tenacity, right?

My main beef with DMC is not being able to use the convenience of online
ordering. I have to drive 20 miles to the nearest LNS, 5 miles to WalMart,
and KMart (which is just down the road) has stopped carrying needlework
items.

Strength in numbers, gals and guys!

kc

Morag <Morag...@tesco.net> wrote in message

> Surely this is anti - competitive and protectionist. Over here in the UK
> there has been a lot of fuss made cy companies such as Levis when

Chelby

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
Same here I would be willing to do the same. I have no problem trading
floss for fabric or anything.
Michelle
> Count me in on the floss for linen thing. In fact, floss for pretty much
> anything! (Anyone got some old MHNS they want to get rid of?)
>
> Shawn

CyberCat

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
Count me in as well. You name it, I'll trade it. I've seen some absolutely
gorgeous European magazines I'd love a look at, and I can always use linen!

Kali

Chelby <che...@cableone.net> wrote in message

CyberCat

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
I don't care what actually brought it about. It's encroachment of rights.
DMC has followed questionable business practices for some time, and this
takes the cake. No more DMC for me, not unless they change their tune. I was
getting fond of silks anyway...

> I'm wondering if what happened with the Beanie Babies isn't what is
> happening with DMC. That they have people that are going an buying large
> quanities and then turning around and selling it at a higher price...i.e.
> Maybe they have had some overseas shops buying from shops here and then
> turning around and selling it at the higher price there. That is what
> happened with the Beanie Babies...dealers were going in and buying them
for
> the $5.00 or $6.00 and then turning around and really jacking up the
price.
> Just a thought and I have been wondering if that isn't what might have
> brought this about.
> Michelle
> "Charly" <risslee...@home.com> wrote in message
> > I don't know that much about Anti-Trust laws, but isn't this policy of
> DMC's
> > in violation? I'm not seeing much difference in the ethical wrongness
of
> > what they are doing (letting the chain stores dictate who they can sell
> > to create a monopoly or reduce competition) versus what Microsoft did
and
> > yet Microsoft was found "guilty" of anti-trust violations. Since this
> > occurred in the US, perhaps one of the US stitchers should check into
this
> > with their local gov't office.
> >
> > I wonder how this will effect Canadian online sellers. Perhaps it will
be
> > cheaper and easier for US online shoppers to buy Canadian because while
it
> > is pricier in Canadian dollars, you'll be paying the same in US dollars.
> >
> > I really like the idea of boycotting DMC. IMHO, they have gotten too
big
> > for their britches. I have had an issue with them for several months
and
> > this just compounds it. I will *never* buy another skein of DMC floss
and
> > will donate what I have in stash to a women's shelter.
> >
> > Charly Thompson
> > Risslee Designs
> > www.risslee.com

Kim Brown

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00

Hang on a minute... How do they think they're going to police all this?
They may cause all the online LNS to remove any reference to DMC from
their webpages, but if I email NN, for example (knowing full well that
*every* LNS carries DMC), and order the whole DMC palette from them, how
will DMC know that such a transaction took place? I reckon this is real
Big Brother stuff and worth a change to Anchor!!! How *dare* they try to
govern my shopping!
--
Trish {|:OI}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

kat...@my-deja.com

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
As an "On-line" retailer {In colectibles, not Needlecrafts}....from
experience I can tell you that there will be many Needlecraft
retailers,Internet & otherwise who will continue to sell DMC to on-line
customers. They will be more disrete about it....but they will do it.
I SURE HOPE SO ANYWAY!
No company/supplier has the resources to *Police* what all of their
dealers are doing.
I emailed DMC and told them that they need to "wake up" hello? They are
only going to be hurting themselves...the Internet is IT today, and I
think they are making a huge mistake. They need to re-think this policy
seriously.
The competition is right at their heels.
OK....I think you get the idea. {sorry}...
as a dealer I get really upset when these sort of hair brained policies
start to interfere with Internet Retailers. I'm tired of being looked at
by some companies as "not a real business" just because people can't
walk into your store.
Anyway, I am hoping that many of the Needlework busineses will snub
their noses at this ridiculous policy and do it behind their backs.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Beth M. Baker

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00

Actually if you think about it, DMC isn't losing the money if sales have
moved from the "mart" section to online. They are still selling the
product just thru a different source. The Marts are the ones that are
losing.

This does sound like a very poorly thought out plan. I have been a
staunch DMC user strictly because of its availability. If that changes
well.... I may have to move on. Don't forget that there is Eva
Rosenstand thread out there too [and it is just as nice but I don't know
how many colors are available - may have to check that out].

Beth

PENDANT23

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00

P J Kirk

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
In article <vFNI4.2275$4w1....@typhoon.nyroc.rr.com>, "Jeri" <star...@dontsendhere.com> wrote:

>Katie Gustafsson <Ka...@transed.nu> wrote in message

>> I wonder if they will then tell US retailers not to sell to Europeans on

>> holiday in the US next?
>>
>> Katie
>
>I know this is a serious subject but I had to smile when I read this. A
>picture flashed in my head of false bottomed suitcases filled with floss.

I can see it now. As someone goes down the line in a holding cell. What are
you in for? Murder. What are you in for? Rape. What are you in for? Armed
Robbery. What are you in for? Smuggling Floss. [and they all moved away on
the group W bench... if anyone remembers Alice's Resturant]

Philena
[who just tuned into the group and has no choice all they sell in my area of
central pa is DMC in the local stores.]

Kathy Koestner

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
Laura wrote:>
>DMC Distributors are NOT permitted to sell open stock DMC Embroidery
>Floss (Article 117) and Floss Packs* (collectively "Floss Products") to
>other distributors or retailers that are known to resell, or are
>reasonably beleived to intend to resell, such Floss Products via the
>Intenet (collectively "Internet Retailers").
<snipped rest of DMC's idiotic decree>

What a ridiculous policy! I've sent in my letter of complaint to DMC.

And here's *my* new policy: While DMC continues in this idiocy, I will not buy
a single skein of DMC floss, nor will I buy any other DMC product. This
includes any kit containing DMC products. (*Sigh*--there go Mill Hill beaded
ornaments. Maybe I need to email them, too.)

Kathy K
--
X/USA/S/-/-/-/27B/Monolog in Blue, various little
things/X,Bw,D,P/E,L/D,S,Od/:-P~ /S/M+/B/b/R-/S/K-/E+/L/G-/Wo/Sam Elliott/David

Karen C - California

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
>While DMC continues in this idiocy, I will not buy
>a single skein of DMC floss, nor will I buy any other DMC product.

Wish I could do that, but no store around here carries anything BUT .....

Finished 2/24/2000 - Sweet 16 (Silver Lining)
WIP:Mermaid of the Pearls, Teen Creed, California Sampler, America the
Beautiful (Nimble Needle), antique green doll (Vervaco)
Don't risk your on-line privileges! I forward all Spam to administration.

Kathy Koestner

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
Karen C wrote:
>>While DMC continues in this idiocy, I will not buy
>>a single skein of DMC floss, nor will I buy any other DMC product.
>
>Wish I could do that, but no store around here carries anything BUT .....

Same here, Karen. All I have now is Walmart, Joannes, etc., and DMC is what
they carry. I'll just buy Anchor online if I need a plain floss.

Fred Kuhn

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
Hi Kathleen;
Here is a little bit of FLOSS for thought.

1 - I have not seen any mention of what other country LNS's or whoever can
or can not do.

2 - Is it OK for other country LNS's or whoever to sell via the Internet to
North American stitchers?

3 - Are the labels on other country floss packages IDENTICAL to the labels
on North American floss packages?

4 - Is floss shipped to North America SAFE for North American stitchers to
use, but UNSAFE for other country stitchers to use?

5 - Are other country standards for environmental and consumer safety higher
than those in North America?

6 - Are there high rates of influenza and other viruses experienced by other
country stitchers using North American labeled floss?

7 - I finally started listening, a little bit, to what my dear momma always
used to tell us, "Wash you hands before you eat". I started this strange new
habit. If I'm STITCHING and I want to pop a snack into my mouth, I wash my
hands first. If I'm playing with my DOG and I want to pop snack into my
mouth, I just do it.

Truly amazing I haven't had a cold or flu bug in three years. Have I been
just lucky or is my DOG cleaner than the floss I've been using?

8 - I could FLOSS on and on.

Don't backstitch to e-mail just stitchit.

Fred
Et in Arcadia Ego.

"Kathleen Dyer" <kd...@triton.dnai.com> wrote in message

> Laura Stabler (lsta...@earthlink.net.ie) wrote:
> > DMC Distributors are NOT permitted to sell open stock DMC Embroidery
> > Floss (Article 117) and Floss Packs* (collectively "Floss Products") to
> > other distributors or retailers that are known to resell, or are
> > reasonably beleived to intend to resell, such Floss Products via the
> > Intenet (collectively "Internet Retailers").
>

> > DMC Distributors are not permitted to sell open stock Floss Products to
> > consumers via the Internet. In addition, Retailers are not permitted to
> > sell Floss Products to consumers or other retailers via the Internet.
>

> *If* the purpose of the policy is to prevent the sale of floss outside
> the USA, they've not designed the policy very well. If I'm interpreting
> the letter correctly, they're *also* preventing online sales to *USA*
> stitchers. If the policy has some other purpose, then someone at that
> company truly doesn't understand what the Internet is.
>
> So, I *can* call up (fill in a retailer's name) by phone and order floss,
> but I *cannot* email that same retailer and order floss?
> So, I can send a snail mail order to the retailer, but cannot place that
> same order by on online shopping cart?
>
> ~ What if I email the retailer to say I'm snail mailing an order for
> floss? Has the retailer sold by Internet?
>
> ~ What if I use the retailer's Web site to get the phone number
> in order to order the floss by *phone*? Has the retailer sold by
> Internet?
>
> ~ What if the retailer doesn't even have a Web site, but I use an
> online phone directory to get their phone number? Has the retailer
> sold by Internet?
>
> ~ What if there's a question about my *snail* mailed order, and the
> retailer emails me for clarification? Has the retailer sold by
> Internet?
>
> I get a feeling that this policy was created by someone who is not
> familiar with the Internet.
>
> Kathy (living in the USA)

> --

> Kathleen Dyer <mailto:kd...@dnai.com> |"Time has little to
> Counted Cross Stitch, Needlework and Stitchery Page | do with infinity and
> <http://www.dnai.com/~kdyer/> | jelly doughnuts."

Teresa/LadyDoc

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
Has anyone called DMC and ASKED about this new policy? I've read all the
posts about this here, and it appears that folks are already slamming
DMC, assuming or guessing they know why this new policy was put in, and
posting both here and on the DMC board with dire threats of boycott.

The people at DMC with whom I've dealt in the past have been reasonable,
accessible human beings. DMC may be a corporation, but it is also the
people who run it, and work there.

If one KNEW the reasoning behind this decision, one could then decide
rationally, logically and from an informed position what tack to take on
it. But to castigate a company that has supplied us all well for many
years, without any DIRECT information on the WHYS of their action, seems
to me precipitous.

Let's either ask DMC outright for an answer, or wait patiently til it is
given, before we hang them in effigy, huh?

Teresa/LadyDoc

Kathryn Dawson

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
I agree. Although I have already emailed them, my fiance pointed out to
me that we should just wait and see what happens before flying off the
handle. Good advice, Teresa.

-Kathryn in Georgia

Linn Skinner

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
Teresa:

DMC has long been protective of their pricing and distribution in non-US
markets. That is why all of our floss says "not for sale in the EU". I was
quite amused sometime ago when a shop owner in England explained to me that
floss was more expensive in England because the floss distributed there by
DMC was superior to that distributed in the US. I do have friends in the UK
who swear the floss I bring them (as gifts not for sale) is sometimes a wee
bit different in hue. This might be because of different countries'
particular requirements as to acceptable dye agents, I don't know.

I have a feeling that European distributors are feeling the pinch (or
anticipate that they will do so) with the freewheeling openness of the net
and the ability of their end-consumers to reach out to other, competing
retailers in the world wide market.

Textiles and fibers are one of the most complex tariff issues in the world.
Labeling and identifying countries of origin and import duties and
multitudes of import/export regulations between countries are mind boggling.
At long last I get my gold threads imported fairly easily as metal wire for
embroidery. So long as they were classified as fibers - it was a nightmare.

I think it is a shame that our European friends pay more for floss, but they
pay more for food, clothing, books, petrol and just about every other
commodity.

Linn
"Teresa/LadyDoc" <tc...@philly.infi.net> wrote in message

Åsa Olofsson

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
Fred Kuhn wrote:

> 1 - I have not seen any mention of what other country LNS's or whoever can
> or can not do.

I am in Sweden, and my LNS's are not allowed to buy DMC floss from any
other source than DMC themselves. If they were, they could get the floss
much cheaper from the U.S. That is why a skein in Sweden costs more than
one American dollar. DMC seems to charge the Swedish retailers more than
they do the U.S. retailers. I talked to a DMC representative at HOCS in
Cherry Hill, NJ last year. They said it was not so, but that the U.S.
retailers sell for less than they pay to DMC in order to attract
customers.

> 2 - Is it OK for other country LNS's or whoever to sell via the Internet to
> North American stitchers?

I guess it is, but there is no profit in it, since the floss is cheaper
in the U.S.

> 3 - Are the labels on other country floss packages IDENTICAL to the labels
> on North American floss packages?

The labels on the floss are different in the U.S. from the once sold to
Europe, according to the DMC representative that I talked to. The floss
is identical though. The labels are made different to enable the DMC
people to trace when floss is being sold from the U.S. to Sweden for
example.

> 4 - Is floss shipped to North America SAFE for North American stitchers to
> use, but UNSAFE for other country stitchers to use?

There is no difference in the floss itself.

> 5 - Are other country standards for environmental and consumer safety higher
> than those in North America?

I don't know. The DMC representative said nothing about this being a
reason for their rules.

> 6 - Are there high rates of influenza and other viruses experienced by other
> country stitchers using North American labeled floss?

No.

> 7 - I finally started listening, a little bit, to what my dear momma always
> used to tell us, "Wash you hands before you eat". I started this strange new
> habit. If I'm STITCHING and I want to pop a snack into my mouth, I wash my
> hands first. If I'm playing with my DOG and I want to pop snack into my
> mouth, I just do it.
>
> Truly amazing I haven't had a cold or flu bug in three years. Have I been
> just lucky or is my DOG cleaner than the floss I've been using?

A lot of people kiss their dogs. I don't think this is harmful. To
always keep yourself away from bacteria actually makes you less
resistant to desease.

--
Asa Olofsson (Offe)
of...@lysator.liu.se

Åsa Olofsson

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00

Ruby M Scott

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
On Tue, 11 Apr 2000 14:42:30 GMT, lsta...@earthlink.net.ie (Laura
Stabler) wrote:
SNIPED
>Laura

Living in a largish city I have no need to buy floss online, but
strongly support online shops. I think on line shops have greatly
contributed to the upsurge in needlearts by making it possible for
stitchers in areas where there are no LNS to access supplies. I intend
to write to DMC and tell them that I will switch to Anchor until they
change their policy. Some of the you other stitchers may wish to do
the same, those of you who have access to a supply of anchor. What
ever happened to free enterprise.

ruby

CatWom7711

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
>Has anyone called DMC and ASKED about this new policy? I've read all the
>posts about this here, and it appears that folks are already slamming
>DMC, assuming or guessing they know why this new policy was put in

AS the CUSTOMER, we should NOT have to call and ask DMC ANYTHING! If they had
any marketing sense, they would have included a suitable explaination with that
letter they sent out that was posted here.
I get REALLY ticked off because consumers think they are the ones who should
ask for service. CONSUMERS should NOT have to BEG for explainations or
service, etc. Here is a little communication thing for all of you to think
about. The person who controls the information is the person with the power.
DMC has inof we want but is controlling it by not sharing it with us.
WRONG!!!!! I HATE it when people or companies do this to us. Just TELL us the
rationale behind this appraently stupid corporate decision and let us decide if
we agree or not! Explain the reasons for heavens sake!
Until DMC gives us a suitable explaination, I will assume they are doing
their Big Business, dictatorial, money grubbing thing like most big businesses
do. This (IMHO) attitude of "P*SS on the consumer because we have the lion's
share of the market" is succeeding. I am P*SSED OFF, not necessarily because of
the DMC decision but because they haven't given any explaination for WHY they
are doing this. Maybe they think they don't owe it to us because THEY have so
much of the market cornered!
OK -- off the soapbox -- for awhile at least. CiaoMeow >^;;^<

NKatzw

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
Does this mean we can't order kits, that are kitted with DMC floss online?
Tamar

Deb Wise

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
We may not be buying floss from Walmart but we are buying it. In the end
they(DMC) are still making the sales. Why do they care where it comes from?
I have never in my short life seen a company as ignorant of basic
capitalistic knowledge as this.One way or another DMC is going to have to
realise that the internet isn't a fad. Internet shopping is here and it's
not going to fade away.
Most online sources sell DMC for about .50 cents, right? That is a lot
higher than most Joanns,Michaels and other crafts shops. It's even higher
than my LNS sells floss for. If they want to see just how badly we could
really cut into their sales then let's start making gifts of floss to our
friends in Europe and around the world. Trade floss for patterns that we
can't find here in the US. Their sales will drop like a stone. They may even
have to repeal their order.
I'd be willing to try it. There are a lot of patterns that I wanted when
I was in England last year but didn't have time or money to buy while I was
there. I'll trade floss for patterns with somebody. Let's all do it. Pick a
trade partner and let's show DMC how idiotic this policy really is.
Deb Wise

Deb Wise

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
Is hugging ok? I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't give my husky a hug
every day. Deb Wise

Kim Brown wrote:

> Åsa Olofsson wrote:
>
> <snip>

> > A lot of people kiss their dogs. I don't think this is harmful. To
> > always keep yourself away from bacteria actually makes you less
> > resistant to desease.
>

> > --
> > Asa Olofsson (Offe)
> > of...@lysator.liu.se
> > Free designs at http://www.lysator.liu.se/~offe/kors/
>

> Oh my! When I took third year entomology, we had a short course on
> general parasites as an extension. If people had the slightest clue of
> the spectrum of horrendous, disfiguring, disabling and lethal things
> they can catch from kissing pets...! Well, I reckon they'd think again!
>
> Our vet always used to discourage clients from kissing their animals and
> displayed posters of hydatids and other nasties on his walls. He used to
> say 'Dey are not de bluddy peeple, dey deserve de dignity of being
> treated as animalss' (He was Dutch).
>
> While my sensible mind tells me it's highly *unlikely* I'll ever catch
> such a disease, the *possibility* keeps me from puckering up to the pup
> or the puss! Or the parrot, either! Ever seen a person with psittacosis?
> Yuck! A family friend died of it and he was told he probably caught the
> disease from the budgie whom he repeatedly kissed and fondled. The
> symptoms are rather like those of pneumonia, but much harder to treat
> and, in Barry's case, impossible. Yuck!
>
> Also, a long-ago DBF of mine (who came from Papua New Guinea, where some
> of the uglier parasites happen to live) had a *dear* little red,
> threadlike worm living in his *eye*! He probably ingested this worm as
> an egg from the drinking water he shared with the family's pigs. If the
> worm reproduced, there was every possibility of its eggs encysting in
> his *brain*! Once, I could have told you the names of these critters,
> but twenty five years is a long time... It's so *interesting* studying
> all the horrific things that little tiny microbes do to us big, strong
> people...

> --
> Trish {|:OI}
> Newcastle, NSW, Australia
>

> PS What's the incidence of hydatid disease like in the US? It's still
> fairly common here in the cattle-farming regions of Oz. We have lots of
> dogs and coincidentally high rainfall with plenty of intermediate hosts.
> Also, farming folks still butcher their own meat, even though it's
> illegal in many areas.

Teri George

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
On 12 Apr 2000 12:46:56 GMT, nka...@aol.com (NKatzw) wrote:

>Does this mean we can't order kits, that are kitted with DMC floss online?
>Tamar

I asked DMC this question when I first heard about the ban on online
floss sales. They said:

"Kits containing DMC Floss are fine, provided they are sold together,
and the Floss is not sold as a separate component."

Teri ~~ http://www.craftsoft.com
Spring freebies are up at In the Realm of Dreams!
**Announcing two new design lines and the free, downloadable CraftGrid graph paper program**

Katie Proctor

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
Trish Brown wrote:
> Or the parrot, either! Ever seen a person with psittacosis?
> Yuck! A family friend died of it and he was told he probably caught the
> disease from the budgie whom he repeatedly kissed and fondled. The
> symptoms are rather like those of pneumonia, but much harder to treat
> and, in Barry's case, impossible. Yuck!

Besides psittacosis, which is one of the only diseases that can go from
birds to humans, one of the biggest reasons not to kiss your birds is
the nasty things that live in *your* mouth. Birds do not have nearly the
immune system that we do and it's fairly easy to give them bugs.

Another way to get psittacosis besides kissing the bird is not keeping
the cage very clean. The guano, if it dries, can release the psittacosis
organism (which is a form of chlamydia) into the air to be breathed in
by human owners or other birds. It can be difficult to keep an entire
flock from catching psittacosis if a sick bird isn't diagnosed right
away.

If you have birds, make sure you tell your doctor that bit of
information if you start having symptoms of psittacosis. Many won't
think to ask and therefore will misdiagnose. Just another fun thng you
learn when you're owned by birds!

Katie
owned by a pied budgie and a normal cockatiel and absolutely *longing*
for one of the gorgeous Oz cockatoos someday

Charly

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00

Jonni

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
My Lucy would be lost if I didn't hug and kiss her every day.
I have had dogs all my life and can't think of a time that I caught a cold or
any other disease from the dog.

Deb Wise wrote:

> Is hugging ok? I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't give my husky a hug
> every day. Deb Wise
>
> Kim Brown wrote:
>
> > Åsa Olofsson wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > A lot of people kiss their dogs. I don't think this is harmful. To
> > > always keep yourself away from bacteria actually makes you less
> > > resistant to desease.
> >
> > > --
> > > Asa Olofsson (Offe)
> > > of...@lysator.liu.se
> > > Free designs at http://www.lysator.liu.se/~offe/kors/
> >
> > Oh my! When I took third year entomology, we had a short course on
> > general parasites as an extension. If people had the slightest clue of
> > the spectrum of horrendous, disfiguring, disabling and lethal things
> > they can catch from kissing pets...! Well, I reckon they'd think again!
> >
> > Our vet always used to discourage clients from kissing their animals and
> > displayed posters of hydatids and other nasties on his walls. He used to
> > say 'Dey are not de bluddy peeple, dey deserve de dignity of being
> > treated as animalss' (He was Dutch).
> >
> > While my sensible mind tells me it's highly *unlikely* I'll ever catch
> > such a disease, the *possibility* keeps me from puckering up to the pup

> > or the puss! Or the parrot, either! Ever seen a person with psittacosis?

> > Yuck! A family friend died of it and he was told he probably caught the
> > disease from the budgie whom he repeatedly kissed and fondled. The
> > symptoms are rather like those of pneumonia, but much harder to treat
> > and, in Barry's case, impossible. Yuck!

Fred Kuhn

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
Very interesting and why do we not see Anchor prices being slashed for the
same reason?

"Åsa Olofsson" <of...@lysator.liu.se> wrote in message

> A lot of people kiss their dogs. I don't think this is harmful. To
> always keep yourself away from bacteria actually makes you less
> resistant to desease.
>

> > Fred
> > Et in Arcadia Ego.

Fred Kuhn

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
I think I'll stick to hugging my Alaskan Malamute. I have never thought
about kissing him, but he has kissed my butt on the odd occasion. It can be
quite surprising if you get the drift. I love him anyway.

How does one hug a Budgie?

Happy stitching,

"Kim Brown" <kim....@studentmail.newcastle.edu.au> wrote in message
> Åsa Olofsson wrote:
>
> <snip>

> > A lot of people kiss their dogs. I don't think this is harmful. To
> > always keep yourself away from bacteria actually makes you less
> > resistant to desease.
>

> > --
> > Asa Olofsson (Offe)
> > of...@lysator.liu.se
> > Free designs at http://www.lysator.liu.se/~offe/kors/

wal...@midwest.net

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
I can't imagine that the DMC order has much to do with losing money in
"real" stores from people buying floss on the internet. Yes there are
a few people with no local choices who might "have" to buy in this
way. I wouldn't buy floss from the net or even a catalog when I'm
fortunate enough to have lots of other choices locally.

Even so, it is so much more expensive on the net and to me it would
be like ordering some little thing like a card of 3 buttons or a $1.00
thimble. By the time shipping is added, you've put way more in the
sale than it would cost you to drive somewhere. MAYBE if I was
ordering specialty threads and beads, etc. and needed one color I
didn't have and couldn't find.

My suggestion would be that even without the floss listed on the net,
people could still request the floss and the store ship it. They
wouldn't be actively selling it and the web page would pass inspection
by the DMC people. It wouldn't seem to me that plain floss would be
that big of a sales factor that would make or break a website. Moni

Marion

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
Linn Skinner wrote:

> I think it is a shame that our European friends pay more for floss, but they
> pay more for food, clothing, books, petrol and just about every other
> commodity.

... and that makes it OK?

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to say here, Linn.

The global economy is becoming a reality and I don't think DMC (or any
other company/person) can do anything about it :o)
--
Marion Jacobs
Amsterdam

X/NL/S/-/3F/1C/Sun and Moon, Lady of Shalott,The Enchanter,
The Sorceress/XK/-/D/:-X/LSQO/M/B/b/R+10/S/Kc/E/L/G/W+/
George Clooney/Anne Rice/chocolate

Chelby

F.James Cripwell

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
A few thoughts on this topic. Personally I am not going to cut off
my nose to spite my face by boycotting DMC; I like their product, and can
buy it at very reasonable prices from my LNS which is a 10 minute walk
from my house.
As a scientist, I was taught to believe in the principle of
parsimony; never believe a complicated explanation when there is a
simple one available. DMC has maintained a huge price differential
between sales in the USA and Canada, and the rest of the world,
paticularly France. They want to maintain this price differential. On
line shopping is seen by DMC as a threat. Hence the ban.
So long as other brands are sold on line, one of two scenarios are
going to occur. Either floss sales on line are going to be insignificant,
or significant. If sales are insignificant, DMC will win. If sales are
significant, DMC will lose. We cannot know for certain which scenario will
occur, but if I were a betting man, I would guess sales will be
significant, and DMC will lose. They may well lose the loyalty of patrons
where they now have a virtual monolopy, e.g. as I understand it, in France.
Just remember, we on rctn are very small potatoes when it comes to
total sales volume. We are barely 20,000 people, a minute fraction of the
total number of people who stitch. Whether we boycott DMC or not will not
be noticed. What we do represent, is a world wide opinion of things to do
with stitching, and as such, I would have thought it was in the interest
of DMC and other producers of stitching products to listen to what we
have to say.
As I noted before, what I would be interested in reading is what DMC
thinks about the postings on rctn. I would also like to hear what on-line
sellers think.
--
Jim Cripwell. Treat the earth well. For it was not given to us
by our parents, but lent to us by our children.
Author unknown.

Marci S.

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
Stitchers all,

As one of the unfortunate ones, I had to speak. Ordering on line is the only
way to get stitching supplies for me and many others. If DMC wants to "bite
the hand that feeds them", I'll chomp down real hard.

I live in New York City, the Big Apple, the cross-stitch void. True, we have
needlePOINT shops, but the ones I have visited have been downright RUDE when I
mention the "C" word. Hence, I don't give them my business.

I have to drive to New Jersey, Connecticut or Long Island to get to a LNS that
sells DMC. Kind of hard when one doesn't own a car. However, when I do make
the trip, I manage to drop a tidy sum and feel that I'm doing my duty and
supporting them.

Several years ago I did "discover" Anchor floss and have been using it quite a
bit. In the past year, I sold off all my DMC on eBay and consider myself a
true "Anchor gal". As a result of DMC's "mandate" I will seriously reconsider
my purchases of future DMC products - i.e., perle cottons. I think it's
ridiculous to ban Internet sales...

IMO, Internet shops are simply the LNS for us who have no LOCAL shop. Many
times I have seen something on the Web and waited to see if my not-so LNS has
it. I'll look there first before ordering online.

Anyhow, I'm rambling now... I'll be curious to see how this plays out in
reality.

Marci -- Brooklyn, New York (lose "myspouse" to reply)
Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/Wellesley/8574/
"Anything less than two karats is a 'friendship' ring."

Linn Skinner

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
marion:

No I don't think it is right that my friends in the UK pay some horrendous
price for petrol, or for mascara or for DMC or for Anchor or for fabric.
I'm not an expert on international economics, but the only point I was
making was that the cost of living in the UK and Europe just seems to be
higher than in the US in many respects, not just for DMC. I do think almost
any internationally traded goods are going to be traded freely on the
internet no matter what restrictions the manufacturer tends to put on them.
On the other hand retailers and distributors have to weigh the possibility
of losing their ability to obtain a money making commodity from a
manufacturer against possible lost wholesale/retail sales.

Is it fair to the consumer? Probably not, but our individual governments
set trade regulations, tariffs, negotiate trade agreements, control imports
and duties and all these sorts of things are a factor in the final cost to
the consumer. A lot goes on behind that little skein of cotton before it
gets in our hands.

Of course a draconian response from DMC is always possible. They can always
raise their prices to a level playing field for all distributors/retailers.
Then there will be no "cheap floss" anywhere - but we will be equally paying
the higher price and the point will be moot - no need to order from a
different source.

Linn Skinner
who has no affiliation whatsoever with DMC except to sometimes use their
threads in kits for teaching.

Linn Skinner

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
Fred:

I believe Anchor does not sell to the large discount chains. This allows
the average shop to stock a fiber line which will not have a chain down the
street (with huge buying power) to compete with them on price.

Linn Skinner
who is in no manner affiliated with Anchor Coats except to sometimes use
their fibers in teaching kits.
"Fred Kuhn" <bksti...@icenter.net> wrote in message

> Very interesting and why do we not see Anchor prices being slashed for the
> same reason?
>

> Don't backstitch to e-mail just stitchit.
>
> Fred
> Et in Arcadia Ego.
>

> > A lot of people kiss their dogs. I don't think this is harmful. To
> > always keep yourself away from bacteria actually makes you less
> > resistant to desease.
> >

> > > Fred
> > > Et in Arcadia Ego.

Deb from ToonTown

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
Linn Skinner wrote:
> <snips>

> I do have friends in the UK
> who swear the floss I bring them (as gifts not for sale) is sometimes a wee
> bit different in hue. This might be because of different countries'
> particular requirements as to acceptable dye agents, I don't know.

It's probably just a different dye lot. I've noticed some slight
differences in my floss and I usually buy it at the same place.
Deb B
--
~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~
You're not going crazy. You're going sane...in a crazy world!
The Tick

Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here.
As Good as it Gets
~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~

COLVIN

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
I understand, Marci, as I have to drive 20 miles to the nearest LNS, which
is expensive and doesn't have a very good selection of colors. Since we are
a one-car family, these trips have to be coordinated carefully. The nearest
WalMart is 5 miles away...prices are good, selection is not so good.

Buying online is the only way for me. I can order exactly what I want and
have it delivered to my mailbox. I figure the money spent on shipping is
offset by saving me time, gasoline, and the stress of driving in traffic and
finding a parking place, etc., etc.

My beef with DMC, therefore, is not about price but about convenience. When
DMC is no longer convenient for me, I will change brands, and that time
appears to be getting close.

kc

Marci S. <marci...@aol.commyspouse> wrote in message

Lonewolf

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
I have always kissed and hugged all of my animals which, over the years,
have included a total of 9 dogs, 11 cats, 3 ferrets and a rabbit and I have
yet to catch anything nasty from them. I will also hug and kiss friends
animals (if the animal in question initiates it that is!). I think about it
this way: I kiss my DH, whose mouth contains more germs/beasties than my
animals', so what's the harm? Speaking of germs and beasties - has anyone
else noticed that if you let a dog lick your wounds (within reason, of
course), that said wounds heal quicker? By wounds, I mean cuts, scrapes and
general small owies. <G>
--
Lonewolf
mailto:cr...@whimsy.udel.edu

Kim Brown <kim....@studentmail.newcastle.edu.au> wrote in message
> Åsa Olofsson wrote:
>
> <snip>

^Linda^

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
That sounds fair to me!!!!!

--
Have a great great day!!!!! And, a better day tomorrow!!!!!!

Linda Haering
Misawa Japan

And, I'm still smiling!!!!! See me over there ----------> :o)

Hi ho, Hi ho, it's off to work I go............ ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

"Marion" <" majonk"@wxs.nl> wrote in message news:38F36C...@wxs.nl...
> This is ridiculous! I firmly believe it is a way to prevent European
> stitchers from getting their floss at prices *half* of what they are
> here in Europe.
> I can not imagine that this stipulation ('for sale only outside the
> E.U.') has anything to do with any European laws. The EU is much less
> protective of its inner market than for instance the US are!
> In my opinion this is strictly a way for DMC to protect their
> ridiculously high prices in Europe.
>
> Does anyone in the US think that a linen for DMC exchange would work?
> I recently noticed that linen (Cashel, Belfast etc.) are sold in the US
> for $58 to $60, while I just this week bought a whole meter (approx. 4"
> more than a yard) for less than $20.
> This way both would be gifts, thus not illegal by (at least) DMC's
> standards...

Stefania Bressan

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 12:17:14 +0200, Åsa Olofsson <of...@lysator.liu.se>
wrote:

>Fred Kuhn wrote:
>
>> 1 - I have not seen any mention of what other country LNS's or whoever can
>> or can not do.
>
>I am in Sweden, and my LNS's are not allowed to buy DMC floss from any
>other source than DMC themselves. If they were, they could get the floss
>much cheaper from the U.S. That is why a skein in Sweden costs more than
>one American dollar. DMC seems to charge the Swedish retailers more than
>they do the U.S. retailers.

I am in Italy, and a skein here cost just a little less than one USD.
About 1850 Italian Lire.

> I talked to a DMC representative at HOCS in
>Cherry Hill, NJ last year. They said it was not so, but that the U.S.
>retailers sell for less than they pay to DMC in order to attract
>customers.

*All* the US retailer sell for less? Incredible!
I talked to a DMC agent here in Italy. He said that the reason is in
different distribution and shipping costs. This does not seem to me a
good reason either.
What will be the *real* reason for the difference in price?
[...]

>> 3 - Are the labels on other country floss packages IDENTICAL to the labels
>> on North American floss packages?
>
>The labels on the floss are different in the U.S. from the once sold to
>Europe, according to the DMC representative that I talked to. The floss
>is identical though. The labels are made different to enable the DMC
>people to trace when floss is being sold from the U.S. to Sweden for
>example.

In US labels is written "For sale only outside the European Union".
In Italian labels (older colors) is written "Pullskein. Ne pas enlever
les etiquettes." or (newer colors) there are the instructions
(symbols) for washing.
The bar code is the same.
Both the skeins are "Made in France".
I've found no difference in the floss.

Bye, Stefania
--
Stefania B. (Italy) ste...@libero.it
http://gbrivio.freeweb.org

wol...@pacbell.net

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
"CyberCat" <cybe...@corecomm.net> wrote in message
> I don't care what actually brought it about. It's encroachment of rights.
> DMC has followed questionable business practices for some time, and this
> takes the cake. No more DMC for me, not unless they change their tune. I
was
> getting fond of silks anyway...
>
> Kali

And there are all those lovely Eterna Silks, with 95 new Mini-Twist colors
coming out soon, making a total of 545 colors. (Stranded Eterna silk still
has "only" 450 colors. <bg>)
http://www.eternasilk.com/ for information.

Nan Evelyn, unaffiliated with any company anywhere but very fond of silk

Kim McAnnally

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
I have never carried DMC floss because of the competition with Walmart. I
have thought about carrying Anchor though. I know if I *did* have a stock of
DMC and was told I could not sell it I would be hopping mad and expect them
to buy it back from me at retail price.
Kim

.
As I noted before, what I would be interested in reading is what DMC
thinks about the postings on rctn. I would also like to hear what on-line
sellers think.

--
New Website up! Come see it at
http://fabrics2u.home.netcom.com

Xstching

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
<< It would also be interesting if on-line sellers of DMC floss who
read rctn, would give us an idea if they intend to take any notice of this
edict from DMC. >>
As a shop owner who has absolutey NO information passed on to her from DMC via
snail mail nor email, nor from any of the distributors who sell DMC's product
to me (since DMC does NOT sell directly to the independents!!!!) ... this is
all new to me!!!! This is the first I've heard of this .. and if a 'rule' is
to be enforced, the 'rule' must first be published .. isn't that so?????????
Deb

Stefania Bressan

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 13:04:17 -0500, "Chelby" <che...@cableone.net>
wrote:

>I'm wondering if what happened with the Beanie Babies isn't what is
>happening with DMC. That they have people that are going an buying large
>quanities and then turning around and selling it at a higher price...i.e.
>Maybe they have had some overseas shops buying from shops here and then
>turning around and selling it at the higher price there.

[...]
This happened some years ago, *before* they put the words "For sale
only outside the European Union", not now.
A shop now is not allowed to buy DMC floss from overseas and to resell
it in Italy (or in EU, as well).
Only a private customer can buy floss overseas (and will pay also
custom duties on it).
So, DMC actions is mainly against european stitchers that shop online
(me too).
Sure, I've shopped online. But not for a skein or two. The shipping
cost would have been too much high.
I've bought the entire assortment, so the s&h was not so important as
the bargain. But I would have not bought all that floss here in Italy,
'cause the price is too much high; so, I don't think that DMC should
see it as a lower gain, but as an higher one, because if I would not
have found a online shop, I would not have bought it at all.

KDLark

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
Something tells me that DMC is going to change their corporate minds PDQ over
this, once they see what a public relations nightmare this decision is causing.
Yet, at the same time, I have all the faith in the world that they'll figure
out a way to get all the money they want, also. If you expect some big company
to care about you and make things easier on you -- well, you aren't living in
the real world, are you?
I figure their turn-around will come before I have to worry about switching to
another brand, so I have no intention of doing so. Too much "inventory" of DMC
around here.
Maybe I could just not buy floss until I hear what the verdict is.

Katrina L.

Dianne Lewandowski

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
I beg to differ about it being cheaper to purchase a needle by "driving"
than to order through a catalogue or through the Internet.

Lots of persons (myself included) live miles and miles and miles from
anything. If I want to shop at a (say) Nordstrom's, I'd have to drive 5
hours. If I want to purchase a pillow, it's a least 45 minutes. For a
good pillow, it's at least 75 minutes. For an exquisite pillow - 3
hours.

Anything other than DMC - for me - is 40 minutes or more. Including the
"new" colors, which the local store doesn't carry and probably won't for
eons.

I can spend $3.00 on postage for a couple skeins of floss and save
considerable money. Driving isn't cheap. And my time is precious.
Dianne

DB

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
>I like their product, and can
>buy it at very reasonable prices from my LNS which is a 10 minute walk
>from my house.

My Gawd Jim, what do you have to complain about?? :-)
Deborah
WIP's Karen Avery's Christmas Village treeskirt, Portrait of Elegance
(Dimensions kit), learning to tat.

Dragonhag

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
I don't see what the big uproar is all about.
The way I see it, DMC has come to the conclusion that so many people are
spending their $$$ online and are not supporting their LNS. DMC started in
this country selling to independent retailers only, then expanded to chain
stores. Now, every Tom, Dick and Harry wants to sell DMC and most often
discount it, so consequently the small retailer looses sales, not only with DMC
but also other product such as leaflets, fabric, etc. because you did not walk
into her/his shop. Eventually that retailer is forced to close her doors and
then you, the consumer, complains because there is not a LNS in your area.
Chain stores use DMC as a "lost leader" thus bringing you in knowing you will
also buy other product.

I feel DMC has done the right thing in protecting their retailers and should
not be faulted for do so.

Elaine
drag...@aol.com

shmily

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00

> I don't see what the big uproar is all about.
> The way I see it, DMC has come to the conclusion that so many people are
> spending their $$$ online and are not supporting their LNS. DMC started
in
> this country selling to independent retailers only, then expanded to chain
> stores. Now, every Tom, Dick and Harry wants to sell DMC and most often
> discount it, so consequently the small retailer looses sales, not only
with DMC
> but also other product such as leaflets, fabric, etc. because you did not
walk
> into her/his shop. Eventually that retailer is forced to close her doors
and
> then you, the consumer, complains because there is not a LNS in your area.

The few LNS's in my area said outright that they do not rely on sales of DMC
to make their money, and that they know most DMC sales go to the chains like
Michael's and Walmart. I think LNS make most their money on charts, kits,
specialty fibers and especially fabric.

JMHO,
Norma

Kathleen Dyer

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
During the discussion on RCTN and Web message boards about the "no Internet
sales of floss to anyone" portion of DMC's policy, I've seen one
assumption repeated.

That assumption is that Local Needlework Stores (brick-and-mortar) and
Internet Needlework Stores are *always* two distinct things. That is
not the case, and is becoming less so with every passing month.
Yes, there *do* exist stores with no physical storefront. However, my
site lists Web sites for 234 US retailers, and there have to be
many more I don't know of. While I haven't been compulsive enough to
recheck how many of those 234 sites are for brick-and-mortar stores,
my memory tells me that a huge percentage are just that. If a business
has a Web site, then as far as I'm concerned it is an Internet Retailer.

The distinctions between a brick-and-mortar store, a Web store, and
a paper catalog company are becoming fuzzier every day.

The above is why I find the policy so illogical. I simply cannot
understand why I may order from a company's catalog by phone, fax, or
snail mail, yet I may not place that same order with that same company
via a Web site.

Kathy

Kathleen Dyer <mailto:kd...@dnai.com> |"Time has little to
Counted Cross Stitch, Needlework and Stitchery Page | do with infinity and
<http://www.dnai.com/~kdyer/> | jelly doughnuts."

Kim Brown

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
Åsa Olofsson wrote:

<snip>

> A lot of people kiss their dogs. I don't think this is harmful. To
> always keep yourself away from bacteria actually makes you less
> resistant to desease.

> --
> Asa Olofsson (Offe)
> of...@lysator.liu.se
> Free designs at http://www.lysator.liu.se/~offe/kors/

Susannah Tiller

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
Karen C - California wrote:

> >While DMC continues in this idiocy, I will not buy
> >a single skein of DMC floss, nor will I buy any other DMC product.
>
> Wish I could do that, but no store around here carries anything BUT .....

I've sent off a letter to DMC to protest. I would like to boycott their
product, but I can't. I've spent over $200 building up my collection of
DMC floss, and I still only have about half the colours. To get the same
number of Anchor colours would cost me another $200, and I just can't
afford that.

Susannah.
--
Susannah Tiller @ studentmail dot newcastle dot edu dot au
"As a Psych major, I'm qualified to go 'Hmmmm'"

Laura Stabler

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
In article <20000412192443...@ng-ci1.aol.com>, Dragonhag
(drag...@aol.com) proposed...

> I don't see what the big uproar is all about.
> The way I see it, DMC has come to the conclusion that so many people are
> spending their $$$ online and are not supporting their LNS. DMC started in
> this country selling to independent retailers only, then expanded to chain
> stores. Now, every Tom, Dick and Harry wants to sell DMC and most often
> discount it, so consequently the small retailer looses sales, not only with DMC
> but also other product such as leaflets, fabric, etc. because you did not walk
> into her/his shop. Eventually that retailer is forced to close her doors and
> then you, the consumer, complains because there is not a LNS in your area.
> Chain stores use DMC as a "lost leader" thus bringing you in knowing you will
> also buy other product.
>
> I feel DMC has done the right thing in protecting their retailers and should
> not be faulted for do so.

Elaine --

First, DMC's decision is only concerned with preventing consumers from
outside the US from getting floss and other products from inside the US.
It has nothing to do with protecting US retailers. In fact, this
decision will hurt US retailers.

Second, don't you realize that many of the sites that sell floss on the
internet *are* LNSs? DMC's decision has nothing to do with protecting
their smaller retailers -- otherwise they would have pulled their floss
from Michaels, Walmart, et al. This decision will hurt many of the very
businesses that you're thinking it will protect.

Laura
--
Laura (remove .ie to email me)

WIP: Harvest Moon - Shepherd's Bush, "Little Lambs/My ABC's/Hush Little
Baby" - JBW Designs (as a birth sampler), Itty Bitty Honey - Twisted
Threads, Night - Teresa Wentzler, Fairy Moon - Mirabilia

maestra...@hotmail.com

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
Despite the fact that I actively (and I DO mean actively) support my
LNS, I rarely make the special trip necessary to buy plain old DMC
floss there. Now, I intend to stop buying DMC floss ANYWHERE.
(Honestly, I've matured in my stitching tastes and seldom use the stuff
any more. Now I also will make the extra effort and pay the extra money
to but Anchor or Madeira pearl cottons and such.)

The part of DMC's edict that rankles me most is their refusal to allow
distributors to sell to internet-only businesses. Some of the coolest,
most unusual charts designs and kits I've ever gotten have been from
talented people who do not have the time or funding to open a 'brick-
and-mortar' store. I also like being able to order unusual items from
overseas. Small, independent designers are going to have to double
their kit costs (if they use DMC) because they will have to purchase
the floss retail.

The Internet is revolutionizing 'cottage industry' and some of it's
biggest winners are female entrepeneurs who have the talent and
business-savvy of a Bill Gates but have previously been locked out of
the "Boys' Club" by family obligations or the dreaded 'second-shift'
phenomenon of the modern working woman.

DMC's attempt to artificially force it's business beliefs on consumers
is appalling. If it wants to say both 'brick-and-mortar' and internet
resellers cannot sell outside their country, fine. I suspect the price
differential between American DMC floss and European is NOT large
enough to cover the time and expense of shipping, handling and waiting.

Refusing to sell to Internet-only businesses is discriminatory and I
fear this policy will be co-opted by other suppliers (Many already
require a photo of your storefront in order to set up a wholesale
account.) If DMC was not THE leader in floss, I would just consider
their edict rude, ill-considered and insulting. As they are essentially
the standard, I find it alarming.

I just wish I liked their product enough to make boycotting it more
meaningful.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

LMM0113

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
>Does anyone in the US think that a linen for DMC exchange would work?

It sounds great to me - anytime!
Linda on Long Island

rac

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
Hmmm, here's my take on what they are saying,

> "The 2000 Program
> DMC Distributor Policy
> DMC Internet Selling Policy
>
> DMC Distributors are NOT permitted to sell open stock DMC Embroidery
> Floss (Article 117) and Floss Packs* (collectively "Floss Products") to
> other distributors or retailers that are known to resell, or are
> reasonably beleived to intend to resell, such Floss Products via the
> Intenet (collectively "Internet Retailers").
>
> DMC Distributors are not permitted to sell open stock Floss Products to
> consumers via the Internet. In addition, Retailers are not permitted to
> sell Floss Products to consumers or other retailers via the Internet.

Floss cannot be sold over the internet - inside outside or upside downside
;)
I am assuming this also applies to businesses outside the US as well ???

> Subject to the remaining terms and conditions of this policy, DMC
> Distributors are permitted to sell all other DMC Needlework threads,
> crochet cottons, kits, needles and accessories (collectively, "Permitted
> Products") to Internet Retailers for resale via the Internet.
>
> Permitted Products may be purchased or sold by Internet Retailers ONLY
> within the United States and may be resold only to purchasers located
> within the United States.
>
> DMC Distibutors are not authorized to sell Permitted Products to Internet

> Retailers that are located OUTSIDE the United States or that are known to

> resell or are reasonably believed to intend to resell such Permitted
> Products to purchasers that are located OUTSIDE the United States.
>
> Each Internet Retailer selling Permitted Products must post the following

> statement on its website: "DMC products are available for sale and
> purchase only within the United States and cannot be purchased, sold or
> shipped outside the United States."

Okay, as a little aussie from Down Under I am no longer allowed to purchase
any DMC product from an online store located in the US - but can purchase
DMC permitted products online through stores physically located anywhere
else in the world, ie: Canada, England, NZ, Europe etc. so long as they can
still purchase DMC stock via sme method other than by US DMC distributors.
I think I have got this right????

> DMC Distributors are permitted to accept orders vis the Internet from
> non-Internet Retailers (ie., "brick and mortar" stores) for any DMC
> products, including Floss Products.

I think this means that instead of getting their supply from a Australian
distributor, my LNS (no online facilities) may purchase stock via the
internet from a US Distributor. At least thats how it reads here;)
Could prove cheaper with DMC stranded about to hit $1aus a skein retail
(even without GST).

> For purposes of this policy, the term "Internet" includes the global
> computer and telecommunications network currently known as the Internet,
> as well as any sub-networks, so-called "intranet" or "extranet" networks
> or any successor network to the Internet. The term "Distributo" means any

> wholesaler purchasing DMC products directly from DMC for purposes of
> resale to retail stores.
>
> *The following items are considered to be Floss Packs: Articles
> 117F25PK36, 117F25BOUQ, 117F25HDAY, 117F25ALLT,and 117F25NP36."

IMHO DMC appear to be trying to protect international LNS's along with US
LNS's (those without internet facilities that is) from sales of their floss
online, and by halting sales to non US residents by US online stores of
other DMC products they are definitely wanting to push sales back to the
non residents home country.

But if I was to receive via snail mail a catalogue from a US company and
then either snail mail, fax or phone (yeah right;) ) an order through, it
would seem to me that we wouldn't be going against DMC's so called policy
:P.

Just my impression of what this letter may mean.
Ronelle.

Joan Erickson

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
Dragonhag (drag...@aol.com) wrote:
: I don't see what the big uproar is all about.

: The way I see it, DMC has come to the conclusion that so many people are
: spending their $$$ online and are not supporting their LNS.

The big uproar is that *very many* people do *not* have access to
a LNS (the closest *real* LNS to me is over an hour's drive away).
Online may be their *only* way to get their floss and DMC is taking this
privilege/convenience/right (depending upon how you look at it) AWAY from
them -- at least that's the way I see it.
I'm one of those in an area where Anchor is not sold anywhere, so
I really only have one choice in floss--unless I want to take 4 hours of
my time, plus gas, plus wear-and-tear on my vehicle (and possibly the cost
of a babysitter for those hours), to spend 2 or 3 dollars to buy a few
measly skeins of Anchor!
Joan (*my* NSHO!)

X/USA/H--/Y16,Y14,X13/1H/XKCrNC/H/:-D~ trying to :-X/?/G-/W+/D/M/B/b/R?
S/K/E-/1F/Tom Cruise, Harrison Ford, Noah Wyle, George Clooney/Who has
time to read anything but rctn?!?/DQ's & chocolate-covered orange jelly
sticks

Those who are so proud of keeping
Joan M. Erickson an orderly desk will never know the
Chester Fritz Library, UND thrill of finding something they
Grand Forks, ND 58202 thought they had lost forever.
Gem of the day -- Ann Landers

Teresa/LadyDoc

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
CatWom7711 wrote:

> >Has anyone called DMC and ASKED about this new policy? I've read all the
> >posts about this here, and it appears that folks are already slamming
> >DMC, assuming or guessing they know why this new policy was put in
>
> AS the CUSTOMER, we should NOT have to call and ask DMC ANYTHING! If they had
> any marketing sense, they would have included a suitable explaination with that
> letter they sent out that was posted here.

But the letter was not sent to us. And, there are people here who are
creating a frenzy by guessing or assuming they know what the rationale
for this corporate decision is.

My point, and my only point, is that there are a huge number of posts
here about this, and virtually all of them are being written from a
point of ignorance.

DMC can decide, by right, to sell to whom they wish, and under whatever
circumstances they like. To threaten boycotts, without knowing why they
took this particular action, is to respond to mob hysteria.

If you don't want to know why DMC did this, then don't ask. But it is
injudicious for anyone to assume they know what someone else is thinking
and unfair to act on those assumptions about someone else's actions.
And, it is doubly unfair to act on those assumptions about someone
else's actions towards another.

I may approve or disapprove of DMC's corporate decision,when I know the
reason for it. Until then, I am waiting to make a judgement. In my book,
that's the only fair thing to do. And that's all I said. And, that's all
I meant. And, that's all.

Teresa/LadyDoc

Fred Kuhn

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
Hi Linn;
I have on occasion, purchased Anchor for $0.49 (Can.) from a large
chain(their regular price). So Anchor does sell to large chains, and local
LNS also carry Anchor and do compete.

I prefer to purchase from my favorite LNS ($0.89) because they have
knowledgeable people who have helped me a lot over the years and if the
private shops disappear so do the knowledgeable people. That works out to
$0.49 a skein for floss and $0.40 for valuable information. The private
shops also carry a bigger variety of fabrics for stitching.

I have also seen large chain prices triple on other items after they have
driven out the private competition.

You mentioned Anchor Coats. I trust this is a misprint. I thought these were
two different companies, Anchor floss coming from Germany and Coats floss
coming from the USA.

Happy stitching,

"Linn Skinner" <skin...@sprynet.com> wrote in message

> Fred:
>
> I believe Anchor does not sell to the large discount chains. This allows
> the average shop to stock a fiber line which will not have a chain down
the
> street (with huge buying power) to compete with them on price.
>
> Linn Skinner
> who is in no manner affiliated with Anchor Coats except to sometimes use
> their fibers in teaching kits.

> Big snip<

Angela Wilkins

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
We do have a WalMart in Germany now....Something to think about.

--
Angela
in the UK

W.I.P: Sleeping Beauty (for daughter)
Homegrown, Heartfelt, Handmade
Cross-Stitching Hands
Care Bears Alphabet: A
Sunday Best
Sisters (pricilla Hillman design for Sister)
Daystar (for SIL)
Aunt Verdi's Porch
Welcome Friends
Fish Market
A Stitch in Time (kit)
Elmo (kit)
Welcome (kit)

A. Kearney <gsd-...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:17:54 GMT, Deb from ToonTown <hey...@iname.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I don't think that the chains actually make money on floss! Don't they
> >use it as a loss-leader just to get people into the store and buy other
> >things? And if they aren't making money on floss, why is DMC so
> >concerned?
>

> DMC is concerned because if people aren't buying floss at Walmart,
> Kmart, etc, then Walmart, Kmart, etc aren't buying floss from DMC.
> Think about the volume loss DMC is starting to experience now if
> people are no longer buying from places like that.
>
> Alison

Pam Furry

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
Gee, I for one, would be happy to participate in an overseas excange of
floss for linen. Just let me know what you need...$.29 is the everyday
price, though I can sometimes get 4-5/$1.00. Wouldn't mind an overseas
stitching pal at all!
Pam in CA

Linn Skinner

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
Hi Fred:

All these fiber companies get very confusing. We may think the brand name
goes with a certain national company but crossing the borders gives things
different names. Our US national company is Anchor Coats and many of their
products (such as their metallics line, their stranded cottons and perles)
bear both the Coats and Anchor Logos here in the US. They are manufactured
in Germany

Our Coats labeled products are marketed under the name J.P. Coats. I don't
happen to have a handy, current skein available, but you've got my curiosity
up so I'll have to check on their label as well.

Perhaps Anchor Canada has a differing sales policy when it comes to chains,
but Anchor Coats USA seems to be fairly committed in the US to not knowingly
sell to large chain stores and one has to obtain Anchor from local shops.

Interestingly enough, differing products are actually marketed in different
countries. I buy Anchor metallics in the skein in the UK and had designed a
piece for this year's shows using the product, thinking Anchor, is Anchor,
is Anchor - not so. Anchor Coats USA does not carry or distribute that
metallic product, they opted for a slightly different metallic on bobbins.
And they are not the same product at all. I ripped out the UK product and we
are happily stitching away with the US product.

It is sometimes not obvious that each of these national companies deals with
the parent manufacturing company in slightly differing ways depending on
their own contractual obligations and agreements. These obligations and
agreements affect distribution policies in each country or economic entity
(e.g. the EU) in different ways. DMC has long had a policy that their floss
was not be distributed or sold out of the DMC USA sphere by exporting to
territories controlled by other national DMC companies. It was just not so
obvious until it became so easy for consumers to make direct contact with
vendors in another national territory, thereby circumventing the system. I
assume that DMC USA's recent correspondence flows from the terms of their
agreement with Dollfus Mieg & Cie France (the manufacturer).

I totally agree about supporting our LNS. I actually buy little thread at
my LNS because both DMC and Anchor Coats are very generous with providing
fibers to designers. When I do buy fibers though, I do buy from local
shops - Michaels seldom has the color I'm looking for anyway and I get
carried away straightening up their floss bins when I go in there <G> Not a
time saving way to shop.

It will be interesting to see how the internet continues to impact our ways
of distribution in the future.

Linn
"Fred Kuhn" <bksti...@icenter.net> wrote in message

Irene Dumkow

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
Fred Kuhn wrote:

> You mentioned Anchor Coats. I trust this is a misprint. I thought these were
> two different companies, Anchor floss coming from Germany and Coats floss
> coming from the USA.

It is somewhat more complicated. Anchor is owned by "Coats" with "Coats"
having different names in different countries. I think Fred is thinking
about the J. P. Coats floss which as far as I know comes from US, with
Anchor being produced in Germany. For example here in Germany if I buy
Anchor floss it is sold by a company called Coats MEZ, with MEZ being
the company the originally produced Anchor.

I would really like to know what the reason for the price difference
between the US and Europe (even considering suggested retail, not the
price it is actually sold at), especially because in Germany Anchor and
DMC have about the same high price (about $1). Transportation cost can
not really
figure into the price calculation, because I think the headquaters are
not
more than about 1h drive from each other (I think it is even less).
Perhaps
there are some strange taxes on the floss, kind of like with gas prices,
where the price one pays is not the actual value of the gas, but mostly
taxes.

Irene

F.James Cripwell

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
Kathleen Dyer (kd...@triton.dnai.com) writes:
>(big snip)
> The above is why I find the policy so illogical. I simply cannot
> understand why I may order from a company's catalog by phone, fax, or
> snail mail, yet I may not place that same order with that same company
> via a Web site.
>
> Kathy

Kathy, you need to look at this from DMC's point of view and its,
mainly European, customers outside the USA. If I am right in supposing
that web sales pose a threat to DMC's policy of low prices in the USA (and
Canada), and high prices elsewhere, then forbidding web sales is quite
logical. Its easy for Europeans to buy from the web, but much more
difficult to buy by catalogue, fax or snailmail. The web is becoming very
accessible to people in Europe, much more so than catalogues etc. This is
the threat which, IMHO, DMC believes is very real.
--
Jim Cripwell. Treat the earth well. For it was not given to us
by our parents, but lent to us by our children.
Author unknown.

F.James Cripwell

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
(maestra...@hotmail.com) writes:
(big snip)

> I suspect the price
> differential between American DMC floss and European is NOT large
> enough to cover the time and expense of shipping, handling and waiting.
(big snip)

When I was in Bayeux, (France where DMC is made,) a skein of floss at
the LNS was 7.80 francs, or about 1.25 dollars american. If shipping and
handling is around 5 dollars american, and customs duty is 10%, and if you can
purchase a skein for 30 cents american, you can make a "profit" by
purchasing as few as 5 skeins of floss. If you have a project like one of
my maidens which require about 60 skeins of floss, it will be much
cheaper to purchase in Europe from on-line in the USA, than shopping at an
LNS.

Guido & Mireille Bos

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
IMHO DMC is not trying to protect ANY LNS or consumer wherever in the world.
They are only trying to maintain their high floss price in Europe as they
are finding out the lots of stores and consumers are buying in the USA for
$0.29 a skein instead of going to their European LNS and buy for $1.10 a
skein. The price for DMC floss for retail sellers in Europe is appr. $0.75,
I would guess that in the USA it's much lower because I can't imagine all
the USA stores are selling without profit. So DMC is losing sales in Europe
for the high floss price, so IT's ALL ABOUT THE MONEY !! They simply make
more money by selling floss in Europe instead of the USA and so they want
all European consumers buy their floss in Europe instead of the USA.. This
is the only reason I can think of. But it's simply stupid because we will
buy in the USA anyway, if we can't buy online we will call, fax or ask US
residents to send us some floss as a 'gift' or in exchange for something
else..

Mireile
Holland

Seanette Blaylock

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
Fred Kuhn had some very interesting things to say about "Re: DMC
forbids online sales of their floss":

>You mentioned Anchor Coats. I trust this is a misprint. I thought these were
>two different companies, Anchor floss coming from Germany and Coats floss
>coming from the USA.

I saw an ad for Anchor floss today in a crafts magazine, and it's
Coats and Clark.
--
Seanette Blaylock
X/USA/H+(Bob)/-/-/1C(HFM Felix)/1F/"Cat in Chair", Leisure Arts/XNCr/A/D/-/SF/-/-/b++/

Seanette Blaylock

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
KDLark had some very interesting things to say about "Re: DMC forbids

online sales of their floss":

>Maybe I could just not buy floss until I hear what the verdict is.

I think that's about where I am at the moment. Got plenty of supplies
in current inventory, and I have NO idea where I'd find Anchor
anywhere in this COUNTY!

Seanette Blaylock

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
shmily had some very interesting things to say about "Re: DMC forbids

online sales of their floss":

>The few LNS's in my area said outright that they do not rely on sales of DMC

>to make their money, and that they know most DMC sales go to the chains like
>Michael's and Walmart. I think LNS make most their money on charts, kits,
>specialty fibers and especially fabric.

The not-so-LNS I like [30 minutes or so away, and the only chance I
have to get there is on Saturdays, due to DH needing to take our one
car a different direction to get to work] has made a LOT more off me
on charts and such than on floss [I've bought two skeins of floss
there, vs. at least half a dozen books. Most recent purchase there was
Cattitudes 9 and 10].

CatWom7711

Apr 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/13/00
>But the letter was not sent to us.

DMC should have been pro-active & explained their rationale to the letter
recipients. If they had been thinking more than 2 seconds ahead, they would
have known the letter would make it to the internet.

>If you don't want to know why DMC did this, then don't ask.

I DO want to know; I HAVE written to them; I have gotten NO RESPONSE since.

My point is that companies are not isolated entities anymore, operatinga
their own little corporate world. Seems like everything is on the net and
that's not going to change. If DMC had been thinking ahead, they would have
realized just what the fall-out would be from the letter. It doesn't matter
that the letter wasn't sent to the general public -- it's on the net and here
to stay. DMC is certainly not required to explain why they make corporate
decisions BUT when those decisions are guaranateed to produce a world wide
negative response, then it would have been advantageous to include some
rationale for the decisions.
If they had some sort of truly altruistic reason for making this decision,
you can be assured that it would have been mentioned in the letter. Big
businesses always take the opportunity to beat their own drum when they are
doing something "nice". Until I hear from DMC and get some answers, you can bet
I am going to be screaming and yelling about their apparently arbitrary
decision to "give the shaft" to all of the people who NEED to order their floss
online because they don't have any other viable alternative.
So there's a frenzy, so we are ignorant of the facts, the mob is getting
hysterical, we are flying off the handle! AS long s no one decides to nuke DMC
headquarters or do something else equally heinous, posting about our outrage
and talking about what we will or won't do is a GREAT stress reliver. And I am
sure the word that there is wide-spread panic and dissatisfaction has gotten
back to DMC. We are human and we will over-react and I don't particularly feel
like being fair to DMC because I don't think they are at all fair in their
pricing policies with the stitchers in the rest of the world.
PAX, Tia Mary >^;;^< (remove nekoluvr to e-mail)
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!! Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs -- and they make the
BEST specialty fibers too!

It is loading more messages.