Shoulder pain while stitching

已查看 940 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Kylie E. Polzin

未读,
2002年1月9日 08:03:232002/1/9
收件人
Hello, I'm relatively new to this wonderful group, and I have a question.
I've been stitching quite a bit recently, and I've developed a pain in my
left shoulder while I'm working on my current projects. All that arm does
is hold the hoop, the right hand does all the work with the needle. I'm
wondering if any one else has experienced this problem or if I should
schedule a doctor's appointment. I already have a lower back injury, so I'm
extra cautious about neck/shoulder/back problems. Would using a standing
frame instead of a hoop help me? (If so, could someone recommend a decent
(and cheap!) frame for a beginner to use, as I've only used hoops up until
now?) Thanks for any advice and/or help!

--

Aloha,
Kylie

Aynthem

未读,
2002年1月9日 08:52:072002/1/9
收件人

Kylie E. Polzin wrote in message ...

I have a problem in my right shoulder (C2 vertebrae related) that becomes
apparent when I stitch in hand (holding the hoop) for more than an hour. I
have a custom built lap frame that does wonders for me. I think it may work
because you're alliviateng the downward pull on the muscles from holding the
hoop, however light it may seem, and that little strain may be what causes
some or all of your problem.

There's a lot of stands out there, none of which are dirt cheap, but,
because you're not sure this is going to help you until you try it, I'd say
start with an inexpensive lap frame and go from there. I can't quite tell
where you live from your message header information (although your message
is routed through a server in Nashville, Tennesee), but I would recommend
Wal-Mart, Michael's, or any other chain in your area that seels needlework
supplies to find a frame. Herrschner's also sells a relatively inexpensive
lap frame online:

http://www.herrschners.com/shoponline.asp?id=0208454520421520023030359

Wahtever you decide to do, I wish you good health. It's miserable to be in
pain when trying to do something that brings so much comfort, like
stitching.

Melody

Kylie E. Polzin

未读,
2002年1月9日 08:54:462002/1/9
收件人
Thanks! We live in South Carolina, and there's a Michael's and two
Wal-Marts nearby. I'll check there this weekend.
--

Aloha,
Kylie
"Aynthem" <ayn...@softhome.net> wrote in message

s.e.l

未读,
2002年1月9日 09:16:332002/1/9
收件人
Hi Kylie;

I also get some shoulder pain, but mostly wrist / thumb pain when stitching
without my lap stand. In cases where I'm away from my lap stand, or simply
incredibly lazy... *smiles*.... I will sit with my left side against my
couch arm and prop myself up with pillows under my armpits almost to support
the arm - both arms usually. This reduces the pressure and minimizes the
pain I've had. But it really is only a temporary measure. Your best bet -
especially if you already have a lower back injury - would be to invest in
either a floor or a lap stand. I don't know about inexpensive ones. Mine
is a Elan lap stand and I love it, but having bought it in 1993 (I think), I
couldn't tell you how much it's worth, or if there are others out there that
are less expensive or better.

Good luck. Hope you can find a way to reduce the pain.

Shannon
Toronto ON Canada
WIP: Golfers (Lynne Nicoletti), Northern Shield Sampler (Jeanette
Douglas), ornament
AlmostWIP: CC (MLI), Cape Breton Christmas (Textured Treasures)
Recently Finished: Tywyn Sampler (Charland), Angel of Love (MLI)

Susan G Capps, PhD

未读,
2002年1月9日 10:07:422002/1/9
收件人
Kylie,

I do a combination of things...
Sometimes I stitch in hand (no hoop), sometimes I use a hoop, sometimes I
use a floor stand (I like my Legend), sometimes I balance a scroll frame on
the arms of my chair -- by changing position etc I seem to avoid some of the
overwork that leads to shoulder/neck pain (should mention that I avulsed a
disk in my neck when I was 15 -- I squished the covering of a disk and
pinched it out of place, it swelled, great pain and problems that still
linger -- but not too severe).
Moist heat helps. Also, Travell pressure point massage (?) helps. Dr.
Travell was the White House doctor for Pres. Kennedy. It's also called
trigger point therapy. Once we understood how it worked, DH can mash on the
trigger points, it helps immeasurably.

Susan

"Kylie E. Polzin" <kylie...@home.com> wrote in message

Lynn Davis

未读,
2002年1月9日 14:06:062002/1/9
收件人
I would highly recommend a stand to ease your shoulder. Since you are
in South Carolina maybe sometime you can take a trip to the Stitch &
Frame shop in Rock Hill. I bought my floor frame from them (over the
phone, so I haven't ever been to the shop), but they were so nice and I
think it would be good to try one out before you invest the money. Just
a thought, hope you feel better soon!

Lynn in Lancaster PA

Russell Miller

未读,
2002年1月9日 14:18:562002/1/9
收件人
Hi Kylie,

This is most definitely a frame induced pain! Get yourself a lap
stand. I wound up not being able to use my left shoulder at all because
of the pain. This pain miraculously disappeared when I switched to a
lap stand though. That way the stitching is brought right up close.

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

--
Maureen Miller
rpmi...@dowco.com

Kylie E. Polzin

未读,
2002年1月9日 14:36:572002/1/9
收件人
A big thank you to all of you! I'll definitely be trying out a lap stand
this weekend!

--

Aloha,
Kylie
"Russell Miller" <rpmi...@dowco.com> wrote in message

hill1210

未读,
2002年1月9日 23:29:282002/1/9
收件人

. I think it may work
> because you're alliviateng the downward pull on the muscles from holding
the
> hoop, however light it may seem, and that little strain may be what causes
> some or all of your problem.

snip
It also has to do with the fact the you are holidng you head down to look at
your stuff and that puts more weight on the muscles that are tightened up by
holding the hoop. My chiropractor showed me some muscle execises that help.
But I still go in every two weeks to get that part worked on. Between
stitching and work it is horrible.
Lisa

Cynthia

未读,
2002年1月11日 01:42:152002/1/11
收件人
Even though all that arm does is hold the hoop, you might want to check how
tightly you are gripping it (I tend to have death grips on books without even
noticing it). If the shoulder is always under tension, then the muscle will
start to hurt. One "remedy" is to get a kitchen timer and set it for 30 or so
minutes. When the timer goes off, put down your stitching and "shake out" your
arms and hands. Then reset the timer for another 30 minutes.

Cynthia

"Kylie E. Polzin" <kylie...@home.com> wrote in message

Kylie E. Polzin

未读,
2002年1月11日 07:50:272002/1/11
收件人
This has been a helpful idea, I've been doing it since my physical therapist
recommended it for studying a few years ago. I usually have the tv on while
I stitch (our puppy isn't much for conversation) so usually at every
commercial I'll stand up and get something to drink, look out the window, do
some stretches, and least get my blood moving again! It doesn't seem to
work on my shoulder so well, but it has definitely helped the lower back
problems. Thanks!

--

Aloha,
Kylie
"Cynthia" <cyn...@ATYahoo.com> wrote in message

Seanette Blaylock

未读,
2002年1月11日 13:07:422002/1/11
收件人
"Kylie E. Polzin" <kylie...@home.com> had some very interesting
things to say about Re: Shoulder pain while stitching:

>This has been a helpful idea, I've been doing it since my physical therapist
>recommended it for studying a few years ago. I usually have the tv on while
>I stitch (our puppy isn't much for conversation) so usually at every

My cat isn't, either. :-)

>commercial I'll stand up and get something to drink, look out the window, do
>some stretches, and least get my blood moving again! It doesn't seem to
>work on my shoulder so well, but it has definitely helped the lower back
>problems. Thanks!

I'd have to go with a kitchen timer, since I'm usually running a video
during stitching sessions [not many, lately, I don't seem to have much
for motivation or attention span for *anything* and I'm seriously
tired most of the time lately].
--
Seanette Blaylock
WIPs: knitted hat/scarf set

purplesu...@gmail.com

未读,
2020年7月22日 11:21:172020/7/22
收件人
I'm having this problem with my left arm the top muscle from my shoulder is swelling up and ive had a sore shoulder to

Crafty

未读,
2023年2月8日 17:00:482023/2/8
收件人
> I'm having this problem with my left arm the top muscle from my shoulder is swelling up and ive had a sore shoulder to

Shoulder pain while stitching can be caused by several factors such as poor posture, repetitive motion, and tension. Here are some steps you can take to alleviate shoulder pain while stitching:

1. Posture: Make sure to sit up straight and keep your shoulders relaxed. Your stitching surface should be at a comfortable height, with your arms resting comfortably on the surface.
2. Take breaks: Stitching for extended periods can lead to fatigue and strain. Take regular breaks to stretch and move around.
3. Use ergonomic tools: Use an ergonomically designed needle, thimble, and light to reduce the strain on your hand and wrist.
4. Stretch: Before and after stitching, do some gentle stretching exercises to help release tension in your shoulders.
5. Heat therapy: Apply a heating pad or warm towel to the affected area to help reduce pain and swelling.
6. Massage: Gently massage the affected area to help increase blood flow and relieve pain.
7. Consult a doctor: If your shoulder pain persists, consider seeing a doctor or physical therapist for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

Remember, it's important to take care of yourself and your body. Stitching should be a relaxing and enjoyable activity, not a source of pain and discomfort.

--
For full context, visit https://www.inspirepoint.com/needlework/shoulder-pain-while-stitching-656001-.htm

0 个新帖子