Orvus

KTortue

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
Kerry wrote:
>Where can I actually purchase Orvus? Since I gather it isn't
>specilfically a craft product, is it sold in craft shops, or do I have to
>go elsewhere?

You'll find it in some needlework or quilt shops under the name Fabri-Care. Or
you can get it at farm supply stores, but it comes in 7 pound buckets there,
which is enough Orvus to last the rest of your life, since you only use a
pea-sized blob to a basin of water.

Whereabouts in the US will you be going? Maybe someone in that area can check
their local needlework and quilting shops and post the names.

Kathy K
--
X/USA/S/-/-/-/27B/Just Nan, Winter
Lace/X,Bw,D,P/E,L/D,S,Od/:-P~/S/M+/B/b/R-/S/K-/E+/L/G-/Wo/Mel Gibson/David

Angela / Kentucky

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
Uses for a Large Jug of Orvus: It makes an excellent shampoo, laundry stain
removal, Bathing ..especially good for dry skin or where you 'just don't
feel clean' after bathing due to minerals in the water etc. I think that
is part of what makes it great for needlework...someone explained it to me
on another ng but I can't for the life of me :-) Anyway...it rinses cleaner
than soaps.

Angela V.
Elizabethtown, KY USA
KTortue <kto...@aol.com> wrote in message

Lawbag

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
Ok, i've only used orvus for needlework and handwashable silk and sweaters.
I know it's horse soap and that some people admit to using it for shampoo,
but what about washing puppies? Anybody try it yet? Surely if its safe for
horses and people, it's ok for dogs and cats? I've been thinking about
trying it for my lil guy, but am kinda nervous. I have a lhasa apso puppy.
Lhasas are know for allergies and chemical sensitivity, so what if it <ugh>
destroys my lil darlin' coat? Might it be too drying? Any thoughts?

Connie and the little Ragamuffin

Kerry Blackwell

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
Did I actually spell that right?

Anyway, I am going to the US in a couple of weeks, and having heard such
good things about it here, I wanted to get some.

Where can I actually purchase Orvus? Since I gather it isn't
specilfically a craft product, is it sold in craft shops, or do I have to
go elsewhere?

Help appreciated,

Kerry

--
k...@forty-two.co.nz

Working on: The Quiltmaker by MLI (Finished it yesterday!!!), Eilean
Donan Castle, Babylon 5 Station

Mays

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 19:11:31 -0400,"Lawbag" <Law...@worldnet.att.net>
stitched with finest floss on pure irish linen:

>Ok, i've only used orvus for needlework and handwashable silk and sweaters.
>I know it's horse soap and that some people admit to using it for shampoo,
>but what about washing puppies? Anybody try it yet? Surely if its safe for
>horses and people, it's ok for dogs and cats? I've been thinking about
>trying it for my lil guy, but am kinda nervous. I have a lhasa apso puppy.
>Lhasas are know for allergies and chemical sensitivity, so what if it <ugh>
>destroys my lil darlin' coat? Might it be too drying? Any thoughts?
>
>Connie and the little Ragamuffin

The active ingredient in Orvus is sodium lauryl sulfate, and is found
in just about every shampoo found on the face of the earth. The stuff
that provokes allergic reactions is usually the fragrance or the color
that is added to the shampoo, and Orvus does not have any fragrance
or color ingredients. It washes out completely, which is good because
soap and detergent residues can also be irritating.
As aside for people with gore-tex coats- Orvus is great for washing
gore-tex too because it washes out so completely. Ditto for down
jackets.
Ruth Mays
Cinnaminson, NJ
--
This person is a natural product. The slight
variations in color and texture enhance its

dkth...@removemindspring.com

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
wrote:

>Ok, i've only used orvus for needlework and handwashable silk and sweaters.
>I know it's horse soap and that some people admit to using it for shampoo,
>but what about washing puppies? Anybody try it yet? Surely if its safe for
>horses and people, it's ok for dogs and cats? I've been thinking about
>trying it for my lil guy, but am kinda nervous. I have a lhasa apso puppy.
>Lhasas are know for allergies and chemical sensitivity, so what if it <ugh>
>destroys my lil darlin' coat? Might it be too drying? Any thoughts?

Connie, I've used it on my dog for years and highly recommend it. It
rinses out quicker and better than anything else I have ever used, and
my dog does not itch/scratch at all after an Orvus bath. In fact, I
first heard of Orvus on a dog newsgroup. (I even used it to wash the
cat the one time I dared to wash the cat.) Mix about 1/3 cup Orvus in
a quart of warm water and use like any shampoo.

DebT
dkth...@mindspring.com

MegCanKnit

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
>>Uses for a Large Jug of Orvus: <<

It's also great for washing nylon dog collars and leashes, gets them clean
without fading. I am thinking about buying a large jug myself, not only for
needlework and laundry, but as doggie shampoo! Since it was originally designed
to be an animal shampoo, it ought to work. It'll save me money too--I just gave
my two dogs a bath today. Do you have any idea how much shampoo it takes to get
a moderately long coated cocker clean?!?! Let's just say it's a *lot*.

MegCa...@aol.com

Like to stitch big projects? Join us at Major Stitches!
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/MajorStitches

MegCanKnit

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
>>but what about washing puppies? <<

I can't imagine that it would cause a reaction in a dog, unless they were
allergic to the ingrediants (which are in just about all soaps). If you intend
to grow your lhasa's coat out though, you will also need a good conditioner.
Once the hair gets more than a couple of inches, combing becomes a lot more
difficult (I have a cocker, dog combs and I are well acquainted, LOL). Quick
tip for snarls on long coated dogs: use Johnson's "No More Tangles" directly on
the snarl and work it in. A diluted conditioner will also work. Another quick
tip: if your dog is in the "yellow" range (blond/golden/red/etc), a little bit
of lemon juice in the rinse water will brighten the color. A red dog's color
will also stay more intense if you feed dark orange squashes and/or carrots on
a regular basis: canned pumpkin works great.

Petey McCune

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
I use Orvus for our dog all the time it works great. I also use it for my
laundry, hand washed sweaters etc., and as a shampoo. I get it at a farm
supply store. I just get a trace on the tips of my fingers for anything
washed by hand including the dog. For the towels I use a tablespoon per
washing machine tub full. It rinses out better than any laundry detergent I
have ever used.

Petey McCune
Corona, CA

Kim McAnnally

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
I was using it for laundry too, until all my laundry started to smell bad! I
guess it was the Orvus - only reason I could think of!
Kim

In article <7lfgnr$4oq$1...@birch.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "Petey McCune"
<msp...@earthlink.net> writes:

>. For the towels I use a tablespoon per
>washing machine tub full. It rinses out better than any laundry detergent I
>have ever used.

Fabrics2U - Buy 10 patterns, get one free!
Want to be on my monthly sales list?
<http://members.aol.com/fabrics2u/index.html>

Elaine

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
Maybe you weren't using enough and the laundry wasn't getting clean.

Kim McAnnally wrote in message
<19990701102423...@ngol01.aol.com>...

Kim McAnnally

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
Nah- I was using a Tablespoon per load. With Orvus, that should be plenty.
Kim

In article <5cLe3.35$Ob7.1581@client>, "Elaine" <laneyhS...@hotmail.com>
writes:

>Maybe you weren't using enough and the laundry wasn't getting clean.

Kay Hahn

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
Orvus is sodium lauryl sulfate, and is not a soap nor a detergent. It is a
wetting agent. All it does is make water "wetter", i.e. more slippery. So
if you are washing an embroidered article gently you are just making the
plain water work better. The recipe for detergents includes Orvus, mixed with
stain-lifters, fat removers, whitening agents, brightening agents, deodorizers,
and other things. So Orvus by itself won't remove oils or proteins rubbed into
the fabric, just stuff laying on the fabric, which the water can float off. It's
OK for an emergency, but not for routine use, because after a while, all the
stuff that doesn't get removed by water action alone starts to build up and go
rancid (that's the smell). Hope this helps.

In article <19990701102423...@ngol01.aol.com>, fabr...@aol.com

(Kim McAnnally) writes:
|> I was using it for laundry too, until all my laundry started to smell bad! I
|> guess it was the Orvus - only reason I could think of!
|> Kim
|>

|> In article <7lfgnr$4oq$1...@birch.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "Petey McCune"
|> <msp...@earthlink.net> writes:
|>
|> >. For the towels I use a tablespoon per
|> >washing machine tub full. It rinses out better than any laundry detergent I
|> >have ever used.

Kay (better living through chemistry) at kh...@cas.org

all usual disclaimers apply nothing witty here

Elaine

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
Sodium lauryl sulfate is a detergent. All detergents are wetting agents by
their nature (although not all wetting agents are detergents, e.g. urea).
There are probably some kinds of stains and odors that Orvus wont remove.

Carol Sylvester

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
Kay--

This is really interesting! I had no idea that Orvus works this way, nor how
the other soapy-things worked. Now when I wash stuff I'll actually think
about what I want to do the fabric when doing my wash.

Carol Sylvester
csylv...@jjhill.org

Kay Hahn wrote in message <7lgc76$8io$1...@srv38.cas.org>...
>Orvus is sodium lauryl sulfate, and is not a soap nor a detergent. It is a
>wetting agent. All it does is make water "wetter", i.e. more slippery. So

JALWms

Jul 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/2/99
But.......... can it handle a grease stain???? :-)

WIPs:

Why God Made Little Boys-Stoney Creek
The Maritime- Dimensions ( Christopher Rhoads)
Baby Morning Light quilt -WonderArt
Sea the Light- Elsa Williams( needlepoint)

Mays

Jul 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/2/99
On 02 Jul 1999 10:10:28 GMT,jal...@aol.com (JALWms) stitched with

finest floss on pure irish linen:

>But.......... can it handle a grease stain???? :-)

Don't know, but it is like magic on blood stains...

Beverley Frederick

Jul 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/3/99
Angela / Kentucky wrote:

> Uses for a Large Jug of Orvus: It makes an excellent shampoo, laundry stain
> removal, Bathing ..especially good for dry skin or where you 'just don't
> feel clean' after bathing due to minerals in the water etc. I think that
> is part of what makes it great for needlework...someone explained it to me
> on another ng but I can't for the life of me :-) Anyway...it rinses cleaner
> than soaps.
>
> --
> --
> Angela V.
> Elizabethtown, KY USA
> KTortue <kto...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Kerry wrote:
> > >Where can I actually purchase Orvus? Since I gather it isn't
> > >specilfically a craft product, is it sold in craft shops, or do I have to
> > >go elsewhere?
> > >

> > You'll find it in some needlework or quilt shops under the name
> Fabri-Care. Or
> > you can get it at farm supply stores, but it comes in 7 pound buckets
> there,
> > which is enough Orvus to last the rest of your life, since you only use a
> > pea-sized blob to a basin of water.
> >
> > Whereabouts in the US will you be going? Maybe someone in that area can
> check
> > their local needlework and quilting shops and post the names.
> >
> > Kathy K
> > --
> > X/USA/S/-/-/-/27B/Just Nan, Winter
> > Lace/X,Bw,D,P/E,L/D,S,Od/:-P~/S/M+/B/b/R-/S/K-/E+/L/G-/Wo/Mel Gibson/David
> > Weber/caramels and Chex mix
Another use for Orvus. We were in an automobile accident and both my
daughter and I had head cuts (among other things). My shirt and her
t-shirt were covered with blood. I soaked both tops in Orvus, changing
the water a couple of times, and they are both good as new.
Beverley Frederick