Castable refratory

pre...@humboldt1.com

May 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/17/96

several years ago I saw an artical on castable refractories and how to make them I think it was in ceramics monthly but can't locate
it. The recipe used various amounts of portland cement ground up used fire brick and possibly fire clay. any help would be
appreciated. thanks in advance

Mike Hiscox
pre...@humboldt1.com

ji...@connect.ab.ca

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

First... my apologies to "all" if this has already been answered... I seem to be
getting newsgroups several days after the fact lately.

Mike,

I had the same predicament a while back and asked the same question. Here's what I
found out with a little help...

Ceramics Monthly issues...
The Castable Kiln, Colson, April 1976, p 73
A Castable Kiln, Petersham, November, 1981, p 94
Castable Refractories, Baker, November, 1981, p 96

Can personally verify the November issue (still haven't found the April issue).
Think the November issue is the one you want anyhow, the article by Lowell Baker has
eleven recipes to work from.

>several years ago I saw an artical on castable refractories and how to make them I think it was in ceramics monthly but can't locate
>it. The recipe used various amounts of portland cement ground up used fire brick and possibly fire clay. any help would be

>Mike Hiscox

Good luck,

Cheers... Jim

ji...@connect.ab.ca <Jim Speers> Edmonton/Alberta/Canada
http://www.connect.ab.ca/~jims/

rodney george

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

ji...@connect.ab.ca wrote:

>Mike,

>Good luck,

>Cheers... Jim

There are some castable refractories available commerical. Check in
the yellow pages for insulation supply houses as a source.