What is it called?

Linelle Lane

Jun 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/30/96

There's a process my husband has been experimenting with. We've been
calling it decoupage, but aren't sure that's the correct term.

It involves applying varnish to canvas board and applying a picture face
down. Then soaking the paper off, leaving the ink. There's more to it
than that, but that's the basic principle. He'd like to learn more about
it, but we need to know if there's a name for this craft.

Thanks for any help.

Linelle Lane
Sebastopol, CA

--
Linelle Lane
http://www.sonic.net/~linelle

Barbara A. Besteni

Jul 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/1/96

If you have a craft, hobby, or skill that you'd like to teach others,
you might want to consider teaching your skills on video.

For more information, visit http://www.profitproducer.com. There
you'll find complete details on how to produce a "How-To" video for
profit, or just for fun.

See you there soon.

Warmest Regards,
Barb

LEE WARD

Jul 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/1/96

I dunno what your process is called,but i sure would luv to put pictures
on stuff myself! Stuff like furniture/wood but how do you get the Paper
backing off or separated from the image?? Do you use a special chemical?
i would bet it mite be great on puttin pix on TEE shirts??
Lee Ward

CorpSoft BBS, Romeoville IL : (815)886-9388 v.34 33600 (ringdown)
20 Gig's : 21 CDROM's : RIME/FIDO/I-net/Intelec

Linelle Lane

Jul 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/1/96

The image's ink is trapped in the acrylic. The paper is soaked until it
rubs away. Then you sort of have a decal. What my husband is doing is
color xeroxing in reverse, gluing face-down (reversing again equals right
way), soaking off paper *on top*. Apply sealing coat.

This is really experimental now (at least the results are unpredictable).

Linelle

Linelle_...@gifl.com

Jul 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/1/96

From: Linelle Lane <lin...@sonic.net>
Subject: Re: What is it called?

Linelle
--
|Fidonet: Lin...@sonic.Net 1:377/51.1
|Internet: Linelle_...@gifl.com
|
| This message has passed thru The GIFfer Skylink

William H Martin

Jul 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/2/96

In <8C3A26E.022A...@corpsoft.com> lee....@corpsoft.com (LEE

WARD) writes:

>I dunno what your process is called,but i sure would luv to put
pictures
>on stuff myself! Stuff like furniture/wood but how do you get the
Paper
>backing off or separated from the image?? Do you use a special
chemical?
>i would bet it mite be great on puttin pix on TEE shirts??
> Lee Ward

There is a chemical that can be used to transfer photo images to
t-shirts. I forget the name of it (maybe "transfer medium?), but I
know they sell it at Ben Franklin. I think I even saw it at Wal-Mart.
It comes in a bottle the size of tacky glue. I haven't tried it, but
thought it would be interesting to experiment with sometime.

Theresa

Noeline McCaughan

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

Linelle Lane (lin...@sonic.net) wrote:
: There's a process my husband has been experimenting with. We've been
: calling it decoupage, but aren't sure that's the correct term.

"Transferring"

Noeline

Christoffer

Jul 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/5/96

On Jul 01, 1996 22:08:00 in article <Re: What is it called?>,

'Linelle_...@gifl.com (Lin...@sonic.Net)' wrote:

>From: Linelle Lane <lin...@sonic.net>
>Subject: Re: What is it called?
>
>The image's ink is trapped in the acrylic. The paper is soaked until it
>rubs away. Then you sort of have a decal. What my husband is doing is
>color xeroxing in reverse, gluing face-down (reversing again equals right

>way), soaking off paper *on top*. Apply sealing coat.
>
>This is really experimental now (at least the results are unpredictable).
>
>Linelle
>--

Part of a post lifted from rec.crafts.pottery:

>Alan Wainright <GEOR...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
RE: Decal Transfer to Pottery

"I do know of a product called "Decal-Eze", which can be used to
lift pictures from paper for transfer to pottery. This is a
brushable liquid product, containing acrylic resins. To use it,
brush it onto a sheet of paper with the picture, allow it to dry,
and then peel it off. The resins pick up the inks, & you can then
put it on your ceramic piece. You can't fire the resulting
"decal", but you can protect it with surface sealers. It's also
not food safe: "Decal-Eze" is for purely decorative work only.
The jar label says it doesn't work very well with glossy or
coated paper. You could probably get some good results with this
for decorative pieces. (For more information or prices on
Decal-Eze, call World Class Ceramics at 503.255.5554: they stock
this product.)"

------
Christoffer

Debbie Thompson

Jul 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/5/96

When I was growing up, I belonged to a club that sent me a craft project
once a month. Does anyone know if this club still exists? I really
enjoyed this and my mother has many of these projects still hanging on
her wall.

Also, anyone else out there still do decoupage?

Thanks,
Debbie
deb...@netten.net

Joanna Mackintosh

Jul 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/5/96

In article <31DD02...@netten.net>, Debbie Thompson
<deb...@netten.net> writes

>Also, anyone else out there still do decoupage?
>
>Thanks,
>Debbie
>deb...@netten.net
Hi Debbie

I have been doing decoupage for a few years now, over here (UK) we use
the term for the 3-dimensional papertole, is that what you mean? Or do
you mean the flat type where you paste pictures to a surface and then
varnish?

I have done the latter type also but prefer the 3-D version, I won first
prize in a comp. with a card I made that way and I am entering a large
'picture' this year which I made from giftwrap. I love it but can't find
the time to do much these days - maybe it's the fault of the new sewing
machine, the calligraphy, the cross-stitch, the cooking, the needlepoint
or, most likely, the Internet!!!

Joanna

--
Joanna Mackintosh
Clwyd, Wales

Bruce Lackey

Jul 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/6/96
to Debbie Thompson

Debbie Thompson wrote:

> When I was growing up, I belonged to a club that sent me a craft project
> once a month. Does anyone know if this club still exists? I really
> enjoyed this and my mother has many of these projects still hanging on
> her wall.

There is a web site for Pack-O-Fun which may be what you are referring
to. It is geared for children and has projects available. Go to
http://www.clapper.com/pack-o-fun/

I hope it's what you're looking for.

Marilyn

GizzyB

Jul 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/7/96

I'm hoping someone can help me to locate a product called Magic Dip -- I
saw it once on TV but haven't seen it anywhere since.

TIA
MaryAnn
Giz...@aol.com

Vickie Limparis

Jul 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/7/96

I saw it on Aileens and thought the idea was neat but the $40 price tago
turned me off.
Then I found it at a local craft mart here for $20. I still haven't bought
it but I'm more
likely to at $20 to just play with it. I haven't seen it in any of the
craft catalogs but
if you have a larger craft store in your area you may find it there.
Michael's doesn't
carry it. The place I found it is called Crafters Mart. Good Luck!

Vickie

--
Doggie Diamonds Custom Products for the Dog Lover
Choose from 350+ poses to put on over 70 products in 110+ breeds.

<No Value Set: Using "Dave Pehling">

Jul 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/7/96

Does anyone have suggestions about how to stiffen felt hats?

Thanks,
Dave Pehling

| W.S.U. COOPERATIVE EXTENSION-SNOHOMISH CO. |
| 600 128TH ST. S.E. |
| EVERETT, WA. 98208 U.S.A. |
| PHONE - (206)338-2400 |
| FAX - (206)338-3994 |
| EMAIL peh...@wsu.edu |

Debbie Thompson

Jul 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/7/96
to Joanna Mackintosh

Joanna Mackintosh wrote:

> In article <31DD02...@netten.net>, Debbie Thompson
> <deb...@netten.net> writes
> >
> >Also, anyone else out there still do decoupage?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Debbie
> >deb...@netten.net
> Hi Debbie
>
> I have been doing decoupage for a few years now, over here (UK) we use
> the term for the 3-dimensional papertole, is that what you mean? Or do
> you mean the flat type where you paste pictures to a surface and then
> varnish?
> Hi Joanna,

I'm sorry but I do not know what 3-D papertole is? But it sounds like
something I would like to learn...do you give instructions? I do the
flat decoupage.

Congratulations on your winnings. I do the crafts just as relaxation.
Between full time work and raising and showing rabbits my time is very
short for me.

Take care and good luck on your next project.

Thanks,
Debbie
Memphis, TN, USA

Vickie Limparis

Jul 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/7/96

In article
<Pine.OSF.3.91.960707...@coopext.cahe.wsu.edu>, "<No

Value Set: Using \"Dave Pehling\">" <peh...@wsu.edu> wrote:

>Does anyone have suggestions about how to stiffen felt hats?

They make fusible interfacing just for that purpose. I just saw it in the
last couple of days in either the Clotilde or Nancy's Notions catalog.

Chita

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

I just saw a catalog yesterday that offered Magic Dip:

Maplewood Crafts
Humboldt Industrial Park
1 Maplewood Drive
Hazleton, PA 18201-9798

(800) 899-0134

Catalog page 44, Magic Dip is offered in two kits, Standard and
Deluxe. $20, $40. The Deluxe kit has a 30-minute video in addition to mor
ecolors and all that. Call for a free catalog. They have lots of other
stuff too, all sorts of crafts.

Detlef Uecker

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96
to GizzyB

GizzyB wrote:

> I'm hoping someone can help me to locate a product called Magic Dip -- I
> saw it once on TV but haven't seen it anywhere since.
>
> TIA
> MaryAnn
> Giz...@aol.com
You can get Magic Dip for $39.95 at Signature Marketing Group. They are
the exclusive worldwide distributor for Magic Dip. Their phone number is
818-727-7100 and their fax number is 818-727-1933.
Besides Magic Dip they also offer other interesting products.

Detlef

HK

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

In <4rnomf$g...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> giz...@aol.com (GizzyB) writes:

>I'm hoping someone can help me to locate a product called Magic Dip --
>saw it once on TV but haven't seen it anywhere since.
>
>TIA
>MaryAnn
>Giz...@aol.com
You can get it thru Maplewood Crafts. Call them for a catalog. The
phone number is 1-800-899-0134.

they have a standard kit for $19.95 which contains five bottles of
paint, a bottle of glitter, a palette, a bag of borax, and a set of
applicator sticks. The catalog number is L1900200

they havea deluxe kit for $39.95 which contains eleven bottles of
paint, everything else in the standard kit, and a 30 minute
instructional video. The catalog number is L1900100.

Helene

Chuck Holcomb

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

dog...@primenet.com (Vickie Limparis) wrote:

>In article <4rnomf$g...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, giz...@aol.com (GizzyB) wrote:

>>I'm hoping someone can help me to locate a product called Magic Dip -- I
>>saw it once on TV but haven't seen it anywhere since.

>I saw it on Aileens and thought the idea was neat but the $40 price tago
>turned me off.

Don't waste your time and money. You can do the selfsame thing with
some water, a toothpick, a basin and some Testor's Model enamel. Run
water in the basin, put a couple drops of paint in, swirl your paint
with the toothpick, and quickly dip the item. You'll have to dip
quick, and change the water frequently, because the paint will
eventually disperse and just leave a slick on the water, rather than
the "marble" pattern that you are looking for.
-
Chuck Holcomb
chu...@netheaven.com
++

"Cannibalism is the sincerest form of flattery."

++

CatEyz4868

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

Linelle-
I've done a similar process (I called it decoupage) and applied the
pictures to pieces of wood that have a nice grain or stained so the grain
stands out. I used pictures from magazines (the paper soaks off easily).
Instead of applying it to anything first - I coated the magazine picture
with up to 6 layers of modge podge - reversing the direction of the (foam)
brush strokes after each layer dried. Then after soaking the picture in
water for a while, gently rub off the paper. To be sure you have removed
all the paper - you can even let the transfer partially dry (the paper you
missed is easier to spot). Rewet and coat both sides with modge podge to
apply.

The plus side of this process is that you don't have to reverse your
picture to apply it - just lay it down with the modge podge coated side
up. You can also change the placement of the picture by gently lifting and
repositioning it.

The minus side is if you don't remove all the paper it will be trapped
underneath and show thru. Same goes with air bubbles - make sure you have
pressed all of them out the sides. And if you do not remove the paper
gently enough you might stretch and distort the picture somewhat.

As in anything else - it takes a bit of experimentation. I have over a
dozen wood pictures in different shapes and sizes (some framed - some not)
that I use as a wall grouping and always get complements on it.

Gayle

Noeline McCaughan

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

GizzyB (giz...@aol.com) wrote:
: I'm hoping someone can help me to locate a product called Magic Dip -- I
: saw it once on TV but haven't seen it anywhere since.

Do you mean the stuff that cleans silver? If so make it yourself. All you
need is a plastic bowl big enough for your purpose, put in a piece of
aluminium foil scrunched up and a teaspoon of salt, add enough warm water
for your silver to be immersed. Make certain the salt is dissolved and
then start dipping the silver, one piece at a time, leave for about 30
seconds and then rinse the article off in clean water and dry with a soft
cloth.

This works with lightly tarnished silver but if there is heavy tarnishing
a good quality silver polish works better.

Throw out the mix when the foil begins to darken and start with a new lot.

Noeline.

Lorraine Young

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

You can get the same effect by drizzling oil based paint in a pail of water.

GizzyB (giz...@aol.com) wrote:
: I'm hoping someone can help me to locate a product called Magic Dip -- I
: saw it once on TV but haven't seen it anywhere since.

--
Lorraine Young
lyo...@freenet.npiec.on.ca
Welland Ontario Canada

MalCamMom

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

My father-in-law gets a craft item for my daughter every month called
Together Time. It's a box with all the supplies already to go. She really
likes them. I'm sorry I can't tell you how much they are. Here is an
address which might help.

Together Time is a publication of:

The Creative Learning Institute
7 Indian Hill Avenue
P.O. Box 208
Portland, Ct. 06480

Hope this helps,
Heidi

lv4b...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2016, 7:29:47 PM6/24/16
I think it was from together time magazine

lv4b...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2016, 7:48:33 PM6/24/16
I was curious about same company ...I have paper work from the company but couldn't find a phone number ...