Derusting muzzle loader bore

48 views
Skip to first unread message

Snag

unread,
Oct 8, 2021, 7:25:54 PM10/8/21
to
>>cross-posted<<

Today I scored a muzzle loader at a yard sale for a measly 15 bucks .
Great deal , right ? Well , maybe . I got looking at the bore a bit ago
and there is some pretty heavy rust in there - much more than I expected
from the condition of the outside .
I believe the 2 top contenders for derusting are phosphoric acid and
Evaporust . I'm wondering which will be best in this situation . I
intend to cast some lead laps to polish the bore if needed , but I won't
know the true condition until the rust is gone . And the barrel may not
be salvageable ...
The plan is to pull the breech plug and strip the barrel , stick it
inside a piece of PVC of the proper size and fill the pipe with solution
. Pumping a bore brush in the barrel to circulate fresh solution will be
done periodically .
So kids , which shall it be ?
--
Snag
Race only matters to racists ...

rbowman

unread,
Oct 8, 2021, 9:29:23 PM10/8/21
to
I've never used Evapo-Rust and their safety sheets play it close to the
vest claiming it's 85% water and a proprietary chelator/detergent.

Otoh I've used phosphoric to get the rust out of bike tanks before
recoating them. It attacks rust but not sound metal and leaves a
phosphate film. The film is nice. I used to use hydrochloric but that
leaves a super clean surface that rusts before your eyes if you don't
get something on it fast.

Phosphoric is usually over around masonry supplies since it's used for
etching concrete. A gallon will be a lot cheaper than Naval Jelly or
some of the other fancy phosphoric acid products.

If you're a real redneck just pour in a can of Coke since it contains
phosphoric acid too. Since Coke Went Woke that's about all the shit is
good for.

Black powder is rough on bores. I might get lazy and just run a bore
snake a few times for smokeless but black powder needs a thorough
douching with soap and hot water. My brother in law cobbled up a length
of rigid tubing with a hose to screw on the tap of a laundry sink that
worked great if as messy as hell.

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=10705

That's another way.

Bob La Londe

unread,
Oct 8, 2021, 9:37:06 PM10/8/21
to
I've used EvaporRust and its "okay." It neutralizes most rust, but in
the case of a muzzle loader bore I'd probably power a brass brush
through at several times, and then take a look at what's left. The
biggest issue would be if the muzzle is eroded. The crown and muzzle
are as important to accuracy as the rifling. Honestly some pretty bad
rifling can still spin stabilize the bullet, but the muzzle needs to be
uniform. Often if the crown is messed up they can be recrowned.

I've shot BP since my mid teens. Maybe 40 years. Not an expert... well
except at doing things wrong.

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

Snag

unread,
Oct 8, 2021, 11:31:46 PM10/8/21
to
I think there's decent rifling under the rust , for sure the muzzle
and the last couple of inches look not too bad, we'll see after I scrub
it out . I hesitate to use anything solvent based , I think soap and
water first off with a brass brush . Somewhere around here I think I
have a small bottle of JB's Bore Scrub . I used that stuff to polish a
22-250 bore many years ago and it went from 3/4" groups to under 5/8 '
... actually I almost hope it needs to be rebarrelled . Gives me a
chance to maybe build a .36 to match my C&B revolver .

Clifford Heath

unread,
Oct 9, 2021, 12:14:17 AM10/9/21
to
On 9/10/21 10:25 am, Snag wrote:
>   I believe the 2 top contenders for derusting are phosphoric acid and
> Evaporust . I'm wondering which will be best in this situation
Citric acid is great for heavier derusting. The converted iron citrate
is easier to remove from the surface than iron phosphate. Phosphoric
acid is better for light rust when you intend to paint over it
afterwards, as the iron phosphate is stable and won't loosen.

Snag

unread,
Oct 9, 2021, 12:25:03 AM10/9/21
to
I think we have a bottle of powdered CA on the shelf ... we use it
when we can tomatoes !
--
Snag
Let's Go Brandon !

Jim Wilkins

unread,
Oct 9, 2021, 7:30:57 AM10/9/21
to
"Snag" wrote in message news:sjr5it$hmk$1...@dont-email.me...
Snag
Let's Go Brandon !

--------------------------

How about electrolytic derusting??

Snag

unread,
Oct 9, 2021, 8:33:04 AM10/9/21
to
I'm not sure electrolytic will work inside that confined space , not
much circulation of the solution .
--

wws

unread,
Oct 9, 2021, 12:00:12 PM10/9/21
to
One not mentioned, Oxalic acid...
https://azrust.com/oxalic-acid-for-rust-removal/

Jim Wilkins

unread,
Oct 9, 2021, 12:12:09 PM10/9/21
to
"wws" wrote in message
news:afe29c65-03ef-451c...@googlegroups.com...
-----------------------

https://www.woodreview.com.au/how-to/removing-rust

Be careful, oxalic acid is toxic.

Jim Wilkins

unread,
Oct 9, 2021, 12:37:30 PM10/9/21
to
"Snag" wrote in message news:sjs25t$j13$1...@dont-email.me...
------------

I asked to see if anyone had obtained good results. I would expect
difficulty sealing the ends into a circulating system and insulating a
central iron wire. Maybe a spiral of string around it would be enough? I
bought Flex paste to make custom rubber parts such as odd sized tubing
adapters and antiskid feet but wasn't impressed with its low tear strength.
Perhaps you could turn tubing to barrel adapters from wood and line them
with Flex or liquid electrical tape.

rbowman

unread,
Oct 9, 2021, 1:39:27 PM10/9/21
to
http://www.zoneballistic.com/colinsballistics/borecleaner.html

No idea if it works but the shrink tubing idea sounds good.

Mike Spencer

unread,
Oct 9, 2021, 4:22:32 PM10/9/21
to

Snag <Snag...@msn.com> writes:

> Today I scored a muzzle loader at a yard sale for a measly 15 bucks .
> Great deal , right ? Well , maybe . I got looking at the bore a bit ago
> and there is some pretty heavy rust in there - much more than I expected
> from the condition of the outside .
>
> I believe the 2 top contenders for derusting are phosphoric acid and
> Evaporust . I'm wondering which will be best in this situation.

As a long-time blacksmith with an equally long conflict with rust, I'm
for phospohoric acid. Residual iron phosphate is good but you're
proably going to polish that away.

If your shop is chilly, heat the acid bath to high room temp, say 80F.
If there's flakey rust, periodically remove it manually and return to
the bath.

> The plan is to pull the breech plug and strip the barrel , stick it
> inside a piece of PVC of the proper size and fill the pipe with solution.
>
> Pumping a bore brush in the barrel to circulate fresh solution will be
> done periodically .

Yeah, that. Except if the bore brush is bronze, maybe you don't want
to get it into the acid?

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Jim Wilkins

unread,
Oct 9, 2021, 5:10:17 PM10/9/21
to
"rbowman" wrote in message news:ise2ec...@mid.individual.net...
--------------------------

Thanks. I have fiberglass braided sleeving ( high temp insulation) I could
use but I'd be surprised if anyone else does.

Ammonia, citric and oxalic acid all cluster around metal ions and make them
soluble in water. They generally don't attack solid metal as much as the
stronger acids do.
https://www.corrosionpedia.com/definition/254/chelating-agent

When I had KP I noticed that pouring leftover Army coffee over the formerly
galvanized sinks would rust strip all the new rust off.


Jim Wilkins

unread,
Oct 9, 2021, 5:15:36 PM10/9/21
to
"Mike Spencer" wrote in message
news:87sfxah...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere...

Yeah, that. Except if the bore brush is bronze, maybe you don't want
to get it into the acid?

-------------------

Acids can dissolve Nylon too.
http://kmac-plastics.net/data/chemical/nylon-chemical-.htm

Snag

unread,
Oct 9, 2021, 5:23:46 PM10/9/21
to
Slotted sleeves over the ends of the barrel , plugs in those made of
HDPE drilled to hold a TIG electrode centered in the barrel . Suspend in
a PVC pipe full of electrolyte with an aquarium pump air stone
alongside the barrel to set up circulation . We've been discussing this
over at the Logan Lathe email list .

Clifford Heath

unread,
Oct 9, 2021, 6:08:04 PM10/9/21
to
Oxalic toxicity is over-rated. In excess, it crystallizes to form kidney
stones. We eat rhubarb because it has that nice oxalic taste, but we
don't eat the leaves because they have too much.

Another note: oxalic acid is used to treat black iron tannate stains
from nails in timber-work. It converts it to the invisible iron oxalate.
That's what's used in products like Kleen-wood, etc.

rbowman

unread,
Oct 9, 2021, 7:04:59 PM10/9/21
to
I've used an aquarium pump when etching circuit boards to keep things
stirred up. It worked great. Well, as great as anything involving ferric
chloride can be.

Cydrome Leader

unread,
Oct 9, 2021, 7:53:47 PM10/9/21
to
Bob La Londe <no...@none.com99> wrote:
> On 10/8/2021 4:25 PM, Snag wrote:
>> ?? >>cross-posted<<
>>
>> ??Today I scored a muzzle loader at a yard sale for a measly 15 bucks .
>> Great deal , right ? Well , maybe . I got looking at the bore a bit ago
>> and there is some pretty heavy rust in there - much more than I expected
>> from the condition of the outside .
>> ?? I believe the 2 top contenders for derusting are phosphoric acid and
>> Evaporust . I'm wondering which will be best in this situation . I
>> intend to cast some lead laps to polish the bore if needed , but I won't
>> know the true condition until the rust is gone . And the barrel may not
>> be salvageable ...
>> ?? The plan is to pull the breech plug and strip the barrel , stick it
>> inside a piece of PVC of the proper size and fill the pipe with solution
>> . Pumping a bore brush in the barrel to circulate fresh solution will be
>> done periodically .
>> ?? So kids , which shall it be ?
>
>
> I've used EvaporRust and its "okay." It neutralizes most rust, but in

I've had mixed results with evaporust. It does remove rust, but it will
then suddenly darken steel, and that's even harder to clean.

Jim Wilkins

unread,
Oct 10, 2021, 6:37:38 AM10/10/21
to
"Snag" wrote in message news:sjt190$gho$1...@dont-email.me...
Snag
Let's Go Brandon !

-------------------

OK. I was trying to think of a setup that wouldn't affect the bluing or
browning on the outside.

Snag

unread,
Oct 10, 2021, 8:28:50 AM10/10/21
to
It's blued , but it has some rust too . It'll be brown when I'm
finished with it .
--

Bob La Londe

unread,
Oct 10, 2021, 12:20:46 PM10/10/21
to
My very first powder burner was a .36 Navy CVA kit. I let it get away
years ago, but recently decided I wanted one again. I found Dixie
Gunworks sold a Pietta kit. Its rumored on Internet forums that Pietta
likely made my original CVA kit so I bought one.

Timed to start at the big reveal.
https://youtu.be/9OuR1x9BK4o?t=269

So... do you have a source for a .36 barrel liner? I've looked at
Redman liners before with a thought to use some of them for higher power
airgun builds. I don't recall a .36 liner. Not that there isn't one.
Its just something I'ld like to know about.

Snag

unread,
Oct 11, 2021, 9:20:44 AM10/11/21
to
On 10/10/2021 11:20 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

>
> My very first powder burner was a .36 Navy CVA kit.  I let it get away
> years ago, but recently decided I wanted one again.  I found Dixie
> Gunworks sold a Pietta kit.  Its rumored on Internet forums that Pietta
> likely made my original CVA kit so I bought one.
>
> Timed to start at the big reveal.
> https://youtu.be/9OuR1x9BK4o?t=269
>
> So... do you have a source for a .36 barrel liner?  I've looked at
> Redman liners before with a thought to use some of them for higher power
> airgun builds.  I don't recall a .36 liner.  Not that there isn't one.
> Its just something I'ld like to know about.
>

My first was also a CVA , a .50 plains rifle . It's standing in a
corner . It now wears a 2-7 variable extended eye relief scope intended
for a Mosin-Nagant ... my eyes ain't what they useta be . I followed up
the rifle with an 1860 Navy .36 revolver kit (Navy version of the 1858
Remington I think) , mostly just sanding and polishing the frame , wood
, and brass parts . Dad liked mine so much he bought and built a .45
Kentucky Rifle and an 1858 Remington .44 revolver . I got the revolver ,
one of my brothers got the Kentucky Rifle .

Bob La Londe

unread,
Oct 13, 2021, 4:41:05 PM10/13/21
to
I'm playing the idea right now (just in the mental images stage at the
moment) with the idea making a 209 primer cylinder and firing pin
hammer. It will still be functionally a cap and ball, but it should
have better ignition, lower chance of cap jams, and better weather
resistance. I haven't decided to "do it" just yet. Lots of other
projects going. It would require off gun loading unless I invent some
other stuff too, but if I make one cylinder I could make a couple.

Snag

unread,
Oct 21, 2021, 3:58:24 PM10/21/21
to
Is a 209 significantly longer than a nipple and cap ? Well , I guess it
wouldn't matter , since you'll be making contact with a point (more or
less) rather than a flat surface - can you source or fabricate a new
hammer so you don't destroy the original ? Does it matter to you to be
able to restore it to original ? I think you'd want to make a new drum
and the "nipple" can be just a short cylinder ... would you want the
flash hole a tiny bit larger due to the increased gas output from the
209 ? <<My neighbor is a fast-draw competitor , they use 209's as the
propellant for a wax bullet>>
Dammit , all I need is more potential projects whirling around in my
head ! Today I ordered the rest of the parts I know I need to tear down
my 1990 FLH trans and replace a whining main drive gear/countershaft 5th
pair and the primary chain and both sprockets . Plus next week I'll be
bringing my truck home (son in Memphis , Grrr.) with the potential of
rebuilding the motor because it got ran out of oil - not his fault ,
broken oil pressure switch for the ID10T light . I'll bore scope the
cylinders when I get it home and decide then which way to go . I might
be lucky and it didn't damage the cylinder walls - but I doubt that , he
thought it had seized so ... If I gotta tear it down it ain't goin' back
together stock !

Nic

unread,
Oct 21, 2021, 4:23:01 PM10/21/21
to
You should film all this shit and put it up on utube.



Bob La Londe

unread,
Oct 21, 2021, 4:55:48 PM10/21/21
to
I think it would be no big deal to duplicate the hammer with a hammer
held firing pin much like many early cartridge revolvers like the .32
S&W and the H&R 922 .22 among many others. I think ideally the firing
pin should depress the primer just enough as the area around it lays
flat across the primer. Should help reduce primer bulge or primer pop
as well. With a setup like that I'd start with a light load and work up
until either I got primer bulge or I got similar velocities to regular
#10/11 cap guns.


>   Dammit , all I need is more potential projects whirling around in my
> head ! Today I ordered the rest of the parts I know I need to tear down
> my 1990 FLH trans and replace a whining main drive gear/countershaft 5th
> pair and the primary chain and both sprockets . Plus next week I'll be
> bringing my truck home (son in Memphis , Grrr.) with the potential of
> rebuilding the motor because it got ran out of oil - not his fault ,
> broken oil pressure switch for the ID10T light . I'll bore scope the
> cylinders when I get it home and decide then which way to go . I might
> be lucky and it didn't damage the cylinder walls - but I doubt that , he
> thought it had seized so ... If I gotta tear it down it ain't goin' back
> together stock !

Good luck. I've gotten to hate working on vehicles. Only reason I do
it is because I hate paying somebody to do it wrong or not do what I
asked even more. To many times in my youth I was up late fixing my
vehicle so I could make it to work the next morning. Usually very
early. One time I got home early with a need for sleep when smoke
poured out from under the dash because the entire wiring harness
suddenly melted down. I was up until 3am chasing wires so I could be to
work by 6:30. It wasn't the first time I had set that car on fire
either. The first time there was less smoke, but more fire when a
hydraulic clutch line burst spraying fluid all over a red hot header
pipe. I hate working on vehicles. When I can I get my son to do it.
He's not the world's best mechanic, but with him I can work in the shop
and walk out every once in a while to double check his work. He also
follows directions fairly well, and he isn't afraid to tell me when I am
just plane wrong.

Snag

unread,
Oct 21, 2021, 5:32:10 PM10/21/21
to
I think I'll pass ... I've got nothing to prove to anyone , and these
days I prefer to keep as low a profile as I can .

Nic

unread,
Oct 21, 2021, 5:41:24 PM10/21/21
to
I understand, it is our loss.

Snag

unread,
Oct 21, 2021, 5:45:57 PM10/21/21
to
I don't hate it ... I just don't enjoy it as much as I did 40 years
ago .
I will not let anyone else work on my bikes in particular . Nobody
cares as much about Snag's ass as Snag ... The cars , well , it's as you
say much cheaper to do it yourself . My son can wrench some , but
unfortunately his work doesn't quite meet my standards . I don't take
shortcuts . The one exception to do it myself is automatic transmissions
. I know there's nothing mysterious about them , but I just don't have
the specialized tools needed and have no desire to buy or make them .
I gotta say , I'm kinda looking forward to building this motor . The
GM 305 has a lot of potential , I'm thinking a low RPM torque cam , say
around .460" lift and around 270° duration with around 9.25 CR , a mid
rise manifold (Edelbrock Torker ?) and some small tube headers . It's
got a 700R4 trans , and I'll be installing that set of 3.42's that are
sitting next to my desk in the axle . It's not going to be a screamer ,
just a decent truck with snappy acceleration .

rbowman

unread,
Oct 21, 2021, 9:30:32 PM10/21/21
to
On 10/21/2021 03:45 PM, Snag wrote:
> I will not let anyone else work on my bikes in particular . Nobody
> cares as much about Snag's ass as Snag ... The cars , well , it's as you
> say much cheaper to do it yourself . My son can wrench some , but
> unfortunately his work doesn't quite meet my standards . I don't take
> shortcuts . The one exception to do it myself is automatic transmissions
> . I know there's nothing mysterious about them , but I just don't have
> the specialized tools needed and have no desire to buy or make them .

My only brush with an AT was the Torqueflite out of a '60 Plymouth. I
had big balls and no special tools. Taking out internal snap rings with
a couple of ice picks was interesting.

Ultimately the car wound up with a manual, which involved fabricating a
hydraulic clutch. After a roadside inspection courtesy of the NY State
Police I replaced the rear axle. The AT parking brake was a drum on the
tail of the tranny and I needed a working parking brake to make Occifer
Friendly happy. More fabrication.

When I went into the service I pulled the engine, drove over to a
friend's house, and left it hanging from the garage rafters, He wasn't
home and his mother was a little bemused but she was sort of used to
strange shit when I was around.

I work on the bikes and the semi-retired F150 but the Toyota doesn't ask
for much except an oil change every 5000. Can't say I miss the drama.

The next project will be the DR650 which marks its spot. I think it is
the chain tensioner gasket which isn't too bad. The earlier versions
tended to have base gasket problems but mine has the steel gasket that
was supposed to be the fix. Oil being what it is means a tablespoon full
covers everything and looks like the end of the world making the source
difficult to find. I've got to remember to pick up some baby powder. I
tried some chalk I had in the shop but it didn't work all that well.


Bob La Londe

unread,
Oct 22, 2021, 12:18:39 PM10/22/21
to
I've repaired two transmissions in my life. One was a Turbo 350 in a 71
Caprice. I tore it completely apart, and was prepared to tank all the
parts I was reusing. I had them in a crate behind the parts washer at
our hardware store. Somebody decided to use the parts washer, and
dumped the brick on top (to keep it from blowing open) into my box of
parts by lifting the lid instead of setting it aside. It broke a
(piston?) large ring with a seal and springs mounted on it. I was broke
after buying the rebuild kit so I was stuck. I think my dad broke it
because he scrapped another transmission to get me a replacement piston
out of another 350. It was the same dimensions, but had fewer springs
on it. I put it all together and it worked great for a couple months,
and then progressively started to fail. It got worse and worse. I left
the car behind on a fairgrounds in Redlands California because it
wouldn't move. The other was a manual transmission in a Ford F150. I
didn't even take the transmission out. I just ripped out the floor
liner, pulled the floor cover, pulled the top of the transmission out,
and snapped on new nylon shifting fork riders. Worked perfectly.

In the past I wrenched because I had to. Now I wrench because I hate
paying somebody to not quite do it right. I can not quite do it right
myself and make my own decision about whether or not its good enough
instead of being surprised when I have to walk home.

I'm a big fan of RV cams (long duration) in "trucks." I put one in a
1982 Bronco with a 351. It would slow walk at idle in first almost as
slow as an old 4 banger Jeep and climb a steep grade doing it. The
other was a 76 Ford F150 (yeah the one above) with a bored over 360. It
would slow walk (crawl) ok, but the big thing is it would tow almost
anything. Not much top end, but if you kept it in its power band when
you shifted it would get to top end in a hurry. That truck had so much
torque I had to drill and bolt through the motor mounts because they
kept tearing when the engine lifted up.

Bob La Londe

unread,
Oct 25, 2021, 1:11:10 PM10/25/21
to
Today most frequent YouTube posters seemed to be focused on views,
likes, and monetization. When I first discovered YouTube there seemed
to be a fair amount of just paying it forward and helping people out.
There is still a certain amount of that, but often they get drowned out
by the noise. Some started out as just paying it forward and helping
and they still produce helpful content, but not to the same level
because they are trying to crank out a video every so often. Sadly
YouTube has become like Google. The search results are driven by ad
revenue instead of accuracy so there is a lot of great content that's
hard to find now.

I don't know what I was saying there exactly. Just that it certainly
would not be a bad thing if somebody like yourself posted real projects
on a personal basis rather than flashy commercially drive drivel.

The main reason I don't post more videos myself is that it takes time to
produce a quality video. Often a project I could do in a few hours
takes all day if I take time to plan all the processes to get good shots
for video. I'm not a professional YouTuber. I need to get the job done
and move on to the next one.

Bruce Jender

unread,
Oct 25, 2021, 6:50:54 PM10/25/21
to
I wonder if I may interrupt all this mainsplaining macho talk to ask you
your opinion on this article. Not so much your opinion about the
journalist who wrote it, but how accurately it describes Montana where
you live.

https://www.chron.com/news/article/Montanans-used-to-live-and-let-live-Now-bitter-16561244.php

--
"Title 8, U.S.C. § 1324(a) defines several distinct offenses related to
aliens. Subsection 1324(a)(1)(i)-(v) prohibits alien smuggling, domestic
transportation of unauthorized aliens, concealing or harboring
unauthorized aliens, encouraging or inducing unauthorized aliens to
enter the United States, and engaging in a conspiracy or aiding and
abetting any of the preceding acts. Subsection 1324(a)(2) prohibits
bringing or attempting to bring unauthorized aliens to the United States
in any manner whatsoever, even at a designated port of entry. Subsection
1324(a)(3)."

Build Back Better means Destroy More Quickly.

"We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter
fraud organization in the history of American politics." -Joe Biden

https://www.globalgulag.us

https://www.globalgulag.us/globalgulag/index.html

Jim Wilkins

unread,
Oct 25, 2021, 7:17:07 PM10/25/21
to
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:sl6of6$qk9$1...@gioia.aioe.org...
....
The main reason I don't post more videos myself is that it takes time to
produce a quality video. Often a project I could do in a few hours
takes all day if I take time to plan all the processes to get good shots
for video. I'm not a professional YouTuber. I need to get the job done
and move on to the next one.

------------------------

The reason great science fiction books don't translate well to film is the
extreme difficulty of exposition, explaining the details.
The film "Hugo", Martin Scorsese's homage to pioneer special-effects film
maker Georges Melies, is a good example of exposition via dialog over
flashbacks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_(film)
The automaton that draws the plot-advancing picture was actually an X-Y
plotter that moved the pen hand by a magnet under the table.

I've fallen into the engineers' habit of explaining with words plus quick
sketches or annotated photos and often wished we could include them here,
but explaining with only text is good practice.

Jim Wilkins

unread,
Oct 25, 2021, 8:54:56 PM10/25/21
to
"Bruce Jender" wrote in message news:sl7cc9$89s$1...@dont-email.me...

I wonder if I may interrupt all this mainsplaining macho talk to ask you
your opinion on this article. Not so much your opinion about the
journalist who wrote it, but how accurately it describes Montana where
you live.

---------------------
Mansplaining is a derogatory code word for useful knowledge co-dependent
liberal urbanites et al. lack, envy, can't steal and despair of acquiring on
their own.

I first saw that envy when working in film and theatre, where the techs are
electrical and mechanical wizards and much of the acting talent can barely
tie shoe laces and have to beg for help fixing anything. Teaching them basic
theatre carpentry was an utter waste of my time. It also shows between the
vital technical and easily replaced office staffs in corporations, and in
groups such as Mensa where technical and liberal arts professionals
socialize together.

If we are bitter it's because those who can't keep up are trying to seize
power and punish us for embarrassing them with our hard-won personal
achievements. "Progressive" really means "Repressive" since they can't
create value, only confiscate and redistribute it. Once more the barbarians
are eager to plunder Rome.

Snag

unread,
Oct 25, 2021, 9:16:12 PM10/25/21
to
Be quiet boy the men are talking . If you shut your mouth and open
your ears you might learn something ...

rbowman

unread,
Oct 25, 2021, 9:56:01 PM10/25/21
to
On 10/25/2021 11:11 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> Today most frequent YouTube posters seemed to be focused on views,
> likes, and monetization. When I first discovered YouTube there seemed
> to be a fair amount of just paying it forward and helping people out.
> There is still a certain amount of that, but often they get drowned out
> by the noise. Some started out as just paying it forward and helping
> and they still produce helpful content, but not to the same level
> because they are trying to crank out a video every so often. Sadly
> YouTube has become like Google. The search results are driven by ad
> revenue instead of accuracy so there is a lot of great content that's
> hard to find now.

some of the people who were doing youtube guitar and banjo videos went
to Patreon. One banjo person, Clifton Hicks did that and I didn't mind
paying a few bucks. 2020 sucked for a lot of people but the musicians
were hit hard. What had been sort of a hobby became a way to keep beans
in the pot as gigs and private instruction dried up.

rbowman

unread,
Oct 25, 2021, 10:05:06 PM10/25/21
to
On 10/25/2021 04:50 PM, Bruce Jender wrote:
> I wonder if I may interrupt all this mainsplaining macho talk to ask you
> your opinion on this article. Not so much your opinion about the
> journalist who wrote it, but how accurately it describes Montana where
> you live.
>
> https://www.chron.com/news/article/Montanans-used-to-live-and-let-live-Now-bitter-16561244.php
>
>
> --

If I want horseshit there's a whole bunch in the pasture out back.

rbowman

unread,
Oct 25, 2021, 10:27:42 PM10/25/21
to
He probably supports colorful diversity like this:

https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/afghan-teen-facing-rape-charge-in-missoula-is-part-of-resettlement-program

What really sucks about assholes like that is they cast a shadow on the
people who came here and are leading productive lives.

https://www.arabamerica.com/arab-flavors-iraqi-syrian-families-start-new-food-truck-in-missoula/

For historical reasons we have a lot of Hmong that came here when the US
pulled out of Vietnam. I don't recall there ever being problems after
the learned that elk are not really big deer and you need a separate tag.

I'm sure there are a lot of hard working Afghans that just want a new
life but they aren't off to a very good start in this state.

PaxPerPoten

unread,
Oct 26, 2021, 1:58:48 AM10/26/21
to
On 10/25/2021 5:50 PM, Bruce Jender wrote:
So?? What is your point? I see diversity in all of this. Montanans like
the rest of the upper states carry firearms as a matter of course. So if
they show up to rallies armed...Its kind of like showing up wearing your
everyday pants. As for the Gays...They are busily shoving their agenda
down every-bodies throats. Is it wrong to demand that transgenders not
take advantage of better strength to reign supreme in Women's sports?
Could it be that you are jealous of the great clean living in these
parts of America? I do note the news groups you post from. I thought we
had kicked your useless ass and moronic comments back to the RCM group?

>
>
PPP.vcf

Jim Wilkins

unread,
Oct 26, 2021, 6:47:36 AM10/26/21
to
"PaxPerPoten" wrote in message news:sl85ej$47n$1...@dont-email.me...

...I thought we
had kicked your useless ass and moronic comments back to the RCM group?

------------
Where the whining bitter losers are even less welcome.

Steve W.

unread,
Oct 29, 2021, 3:31:48 AM10/29/21
to
rbowman wrote:
>
> He probably supports colorful diversity like this:
>
> https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/afghan-teen-facing-rape-charge-in-missoula-is-part-of-resettlement-program
>
> What really sucks about assholes like that is they cast a shadow on the
> people who came here and are leading productive lives.
>
> https://www.arabamerica.com/arab-flavors-iraqi-syrian-families-start-new-food-truck-in-missoula/
>
> For historical reasons we have a lot of Hmong that came here when the US
> pulled out of Vietnam. I don't recall there ever being problems after
> the learned that elk are not really big deer and you need a separate tag.
>
> I'm sure there are a lot of hard working Afghans that just want a new
> life but they aren't off to a very good start in this state.


WHAT, Elk are not just big deer? Since when... Guess I'll need to
apologize to the Elk farm again this year.... (But they do taste
better, even though they are a bitch to drag out of the woods)

--
Steve W.

Gerry

unread,
Oct 29, 2021, 11:06:41 PM10/29/21
to
On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 03:31:49 -0400, "Steve W." <csr...@NOTyahoo.com>
wrote:
Try a full grown bull moose!
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages