Dalton Lathe.

Robert Walpole

Sep 5, 2022, 6:37:40 PM9/5/22
Hi, is this group still active? I have recently been given a Dalton Lathe and would like to learn more about them.

Hope to hear from someone,

Rob in NC.

ani...@psln.com

Sep 5, 2022, 8:02:07 PM9/5/22

Bob Engelhardt

Sep 6, 2022, 9:30:29 AM9/6/22
Not very much going on here. Years ago ...

My favorite: https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forum/general

Jim Wilkins

Sep 6, 2022, 12:49:30 PM9/6/22
"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message news:RXHRK.110113$IRd5....@fx10.iad...
---------------

The South Bend Lathe book "How to Run a Lathe" Is a good operator's manual
for older (and modern hobby) machines.
http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/3789.pdf

Although it's from 1914, almost everything in it is still valid for today's
manual lathe work. Newer editions leave out things that might apply to your
old Dalton. Allen wrenches can be ground to imitate forged cutting tools to
get yourself started.

Jim Wilkins

Sep 6, 2022, 10:40:30 PM9/6/22
wrote in message

The photos of the 'Dalton Lot 6 - as new' show many details that are very
similar to my 1965 South Bend, such as the ball-closed oilers and the
forward/reverse threading mechanism (tumbler) which SB calls a recent
improvement in 1914. I even have a diamond-knurled Jacobs chuck.

The spout on an Eagle model 66 brass oil can matches those oil fittings, and
opens the spring cap on Gits oil cups. Since I have one (bought new) I
haven't looked for current production oilers that also fit.