Waterpik repair

Jim Wilkins

Dec 3, 2020, 11:08:32 AM12/3/20
The battery-powered WP-360 Water Flosser eventually slows down, so I buy
another and set the old one aside to fix later. Today is later, to avoid the
infection risk of a shopping trip and the cost of yet another new one. After
prying the ribbed ring out with a Swiss Army knife can opener they
disassemble easily with a small Phillips. Inside is two tabbed AA NiMH
cells, a DC motor and pump, all of which come apart by removing fairly large
screws, unlike the tiny ones on another of today's projects.

The on-line repair suggestions are about replacing the battery, but when I
took apart an old one for practice the batteries were still charged and the
motor had corroded and seized solid. The current, slow one worked fine after
I had opened it, which is typical for me. Maybe a bit of clogging dirt was
dislodged? I see the same thing with small engine carburetors.

Electrically the 3.17VAC input float-charges the NiMh cells through a series
diode. The motor on my good one draws about 1 Amp from a metered power
supply, disassembled on the bench without the pump load. The battery voltage
dropped from 2.8V (external test charge) to 2.2V before disassembly, 2.5V
after.

The motor pinion drives a crown gear with an eccentric for the pump piston.
The eccentric might have a trace of factory grease on it. I oiled everything
that moves with "safe for plastics" light oil since I didn't find a
different suggestion.

Has anyone else fixed one of these with good/bad results?

Jon Elson

Dec 3, 2020, 1:44:14 PM12/3/20
Jim Wilkins wrote:

> Has anyone else fixed one of these with good/bad results?
I kept a Braun electric toothbrush working for YEARS past the expected
lifetime, with outboard batteries and a drop of oil on each motor bearing
every couple years. I'll bet a drop of oil on each end (if you can get to
the shaft at both ends) and let it soak in for a few hours will loosen the
motor up quite well. Eventually the brushes and or commutator wear away,
and that is the end of it.

Jon

Jim Wilkins

Dec 3, 2020, 7:05:57 PM12/3/20
"Jon Elson" wrote in message
--------------------------------

I used a needle oiler from a hobby store which reached in past the crown
gear and under the pinion. The gear assembly separates from the motor easily
but I only did that on the frozen unit because inadequate gear tooth
engagement is a reported problem.

I've used turbine oil in a zoom spout bottle on the plain shaft bearings of
my megger and found that it needed re-oiling after a year on the shelf,
perhaps the thin oil evaporates? The crank drives a planetary speed
increaser on a concentric shaft, and becomes stiff if not oiled.

https://www.amazon.com/Insulation-Megohm-Tester-Resistance-Megohmmeter/dp/B00975X2FY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
It's a ripoff of the old Biddle megger. The idea is that if you shock
yourself you automatically stop cranking the high voltage generator.

Gamayun

May 5, 2022, 10:45:07 PM5/5/22
> The motor pinion drives a crown gear with an eccentric for the pump piston.
> The eccentric might have a trace of factory grease on it. I oiled everything

> that moves with "safe for plastics" light oil since I didn't find a
> different suggestion.

Hi Jim. I have a issue with de DC engine. on the WP-360. I dont know how to buy. Can you please tell me the specs of the engine?

--
For full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalworking/waterpik-repair-651283-.htm

Jim Wilkins

May 6, 2022, 6:31:16 AM5/6/22
"Gamayun" wrote in message

> The motor pinion drives a crown gear with an eccentric for the pump
> piston.
> The eccentric might have a trace of factory grease on it. I oiled
> everything

> that moves with "safe for plastics" light oil since I didn't find a
> different suggestion.

Hi Jim. I have a issue with de DC engine. on the WP-360. I dont know how to
buy. Can you please tell me the specs of the engine?

------------------

Specs???

I oiled the bearings.

Jim Wilkins

May 6, 2022, 10:01:42 AM5/6/22

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news:t52tdf$mkh$1...@dont-email.me...

My notes show the motor drew 1.2A without the reservoir, from a lab-type
metered power supply. The battery is a 2.4V NiMH, 1300mAh. I charged it at 1
Amp from the current-limited lab supply until the batteries began to warm
up, which indicates a full charge, at 3.6V on charge and 2.9V after
disconnecting it.

The supplied charger provided 0.112A at 2.88V which is the C/10 rate that
nominally requires 14 hours for a complete charge and can be left on longer,
though maybe not continuously. It isn't regulated, merely half wave
rectified AC.