Leinweber lathe/mill

Gerry McLaughlin

Nov 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/6/99
Saw a machine today that may have been the inspiration for the 3 in one
machine. It was made in Austria by the Johann Leinweber company. Instead of
'V' ways, it had solid cylindrical ways nearly 4" thick. the tailstock was
stationary and the headstock & ways moved on a cast base. This machine had
accessory components to convert it to a shaper, horizontal mill and a
vertical mill.
I was told that these machines were originally built to be installed in
German U boats. This particular unit was built in the early 1960's and sold
in Portland Oregon.
Anyone out there ever heard of such a beast? Web searches turned up almost
nothing.
Any info would be very much appreciated!

Regards,
Gerry

BALLARDKSB

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
"Gerry McLaughlin"gerr...@pacifier.com wrote:
<<snip>>
>saw a machine today that may have been the inspiration for the 3 in one

>machine. It was made in Austria by the Johann Leinweber company.
<<snip>>

>I was told that these machines were originally built to be installed in
>German U boats

I have talked to a number of mariners claiming to have seen the machine shop
sections of U-boats. Some said to have operated similar shops on US
ships/boats. Also talked us machinists sho claimed to have worked on the tools
in shops years after WWII. I have talked to the curator of the U-boat at the
Musem of Industry and Science (science and industry?) in Chicago, Ill. The
machine shop section of that U-boat was removed and they do not have pictures
of the tools.

The curator stated he thought the machine tools were originally built by Skoda
Werks. In my notes somewhere are the three factory names where they could have
been built. He also gave me a reference to a collector in Germany that might
have more infomation.

I'm always looking for more information to go into a "history" section on our
website. If you or anyone has any information, I'd like to add it to what I
already have. TIA

Kerry
Smithy Co.

800-476-4849

boris beizer

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
BALLARDKSB <balla...@aol.com> wrote in message

> "Gerry McLaughlin"gerr...@pacifier.com wrote:
> <<snip>>
> >saw a machine today that may have been the inspiration for the 3 in one
> >machine. It was made in Austria by the Johann Leinweber company.
> <<snip>>
> >I was told that these machines were originally built to be installed in
> >German U boats

> I'm always looking for more information to go into a "history" section on

our
> website. If you or anyone has any information, I'd like to add it to what I
> already have. TIA

A minor tidbit FYI. I once saw a vertical lathe -- about 13 or 14 x 30 or so
on a WWII US submarine. Mounted on a wall with a rack for the tailstock. I
don't remember if the headstock was up top or on the bottom. Apparently quite
common on US subs. I seem to recall it as having been a South Bend.

Boris

--

Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email direct: bbe...@sprintmail.com
Email (Forwarded): bbe...@acm.org, bbe...@ieee.org