Chip cleanup

Snag

Aug 16, 2022, 6:46:22 PM8/16/22
I've always hated cleaning up the chips and occasional long spirals
after/during doing a project . Today I picked up a 3 gallon "shop vac"
unit at WallyWorld , around 36 bucks , for just that task . My machines
are going to have a lot less chips layin' around now . It's really cool
how all the chips go right to the bottom , and the bigger stuff that
might clog the hose (I'm using the "crevice tool" to limit size) will
collect on the end of the tool to be easily removed and dropped in the
trash container . Definitely worth the price for me . YMMV .
--
Snag
“Free speech is my right to say what you don’t

Bob La Londe

Aug 16, 2022, 6:54:11 PM8/16/22
On 8/16/2022 3:46 PM, Snag wrote:
>   I've always hated cleaning up the chips and occasional long spirals
> after/during doing a project . Today I picked up a 3 gallon "shop vac"
> unit at WallyWorld , around 36 bucks , for just that task . My machines
> are going to have a lot less chips layin' around now . It's really cool
> how all the chips go right to the bottom , and the bigger stuff that
> might clog the hose (I'm using the "crevice tool" to limit size) will
> collect on the end of the tool to be easily removed and dropped in the
> trash container . Definitely worth the price for me . YMMV .

I have been amazed at the pile of chips that build up on the base of the
big mill and in the chip pan of the lathe. Very quickly too. I'm used
to mucking out the CNC mills, but the manual machines can generate
serious piles of chips as well.

A shop vac is a help... but I have burned one up already. Salvaged the
motor just the other day to go in my copper recycle barrel. (The plan
is to make aluminum bronze in the foundry.)

They do not make vacuums as strong as they used to. When I was a kid my
Uncle Paul (mostly a fine wood worker in his shop) had a giant canister
vacuum that would suck up and dispose of pretty decent size wood blocks.
It would easily draw in sawdust at twice the distance of any modern
ShopVac style vacuum I have seen. Last year when I was in Ohio to visit
I should have asked if that beast was still around.

www.avg.com

Gerry

Aug 16, 2022, 11:41:23 PM8/16/22
On Tue, 16 Aug 2022 15:54:08 -0700, Bob La Londe <no...@none.com99>
wrote:
Around ten years ago I spotted a "TECO" (T. Eaton Co.) shop vac at a
yard sale, still in its original carton with the oiginal mail order
shipping label intact. The seller mentioned that no one was interested
since it was for dry pick-up only and he was happy to get five bucks
from me for it.
Following my standard practice of installing an adapted thrift store
vacuum filter bag over the cloth filter, I noticed that the mechanism
was date stamped August xx, 1971 (I don't recall the exact date)!
This Vacuum has been parked in the laundry area for the last ten years
where it is used to clean the dryer lint trap, debis from puppy
haircuts, people haircts beard trims along with general worshop
cleanup as well as a couple vehicles.
Second son says "that shopvac really sucks!"

Snag

Aug 17, 2022, 7:40:33 AM8/17/22
What I like about this one is the size . It will fit under the lathe
when I'm not using it . This one is a 3 gallon , I almost got the 1 1/2
gal unit but the box was pretty beat up and it was the last one they had
. I'm glad I got the bigger one . We have a big shopvac , but it's a
pain in the ass to get out to the shop , and I just don't need that much
capacity or power .

Cydrome Leader

Sep 30, 2022, 3:05:58 PM9/30/22
Snag <Snag...@msn.com> wrote:
> I've always hated cleaning up the chips and occasional long spirals
> after/during doing a project . Today I picked up a 3 gallon "shop vac"
> unit at WallyWorld , around 36 bucks , for just that task . My machines
> are going to have a lot less chips layin' around now . It's really cool
> how all the chips go right to the bottom , and the bigger stuff that
> might clog the hose (I'm using the "crevice tool" to limit size) will
> collect on the end of the tool to be easily removed and dropped in the
> trash container . Definitely worth the price for me . YMMV .

Amazing. This guy discovered a vacuum cleaner.

Snag

Sep 30, 2022, 3:53:40 PM9/30/22
And now I feel so fuckin' special ! But you're still an asshole .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts