Cutting off Stainless

Bob La Londe

Jan 5, 2022, 1:22:49 PM1/5/22
First off, I hate abrasives for this. Makes it a three step job. Cut,
grind, turn. If I don't grind the burr damages the turning tool. Maybe
not every one, but often enough. Yes HSS is more tolerant, but I also
have to resharpen it.

I still think a shear tool of some kind might work best for the smaller
pieces, but I also make inserts from 1-1/2 inch stainless. I would just
pre-order them cut to length (with some tolerance maybe), but of my
three best suppliers for stainless:

1. charges to much to cut.
2. Seems to have quit offering cut to length.
3. I never know when I will receive a cut length order. Last time I
canceled after 2 months.

Currently I bandsaw on the horizontal one piece at a time slightly over
length, and then face both ends to length. Since this part is used in
batches of 9 or 11 the hands on time adds up. Particularly if I sell
more than a couple of the part they go in. Its a profitable part, but I
still begrudge the time.

https://www.avg.com

Snag

Jan 5, 2022, 2:58:28 PM1/5/22
That 1 1/2 inch steel , is that wide or thick ? Have you considered
plasma cutting ?
--
Snag
Let's Go Brandon !

Bob La Londe

Jan 5, 2022, 6:06:17 PM1/5/22
It would take one heck of a plasma cutter. Its 1-1/2 inch round
stainless. It would take more work to finish too I think.

Jim Wilkins

Jan 6, 2022, 6:37:35 AM1/6/22

https://www.detroitbandsaw.com/cutting-bundles-of-a615-steel-small-round-bars/