Way oil

KD

May 10, 2002, 11:33:56 AM5/10/02
What is an acceptable oil to use on the ways that I could get locally
until I can order some oil made specifically for the ways? Sewing
oil??? Thanks alot.

Ronald Thompson

May 10, 2002, 12:24:11 PM5/10/02
I was having a lot of problems with rust using automotive oil. A lot of
people said to try chain saw bar oil, so I am. So far so good.

--
Ron Thompson
Machinist student
"KD" <ka...@velocedge.com> wrote in message

Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen

May 10, 2002, 12:44:08 PM5/10/02
ka...@velocedge.com (KD) writes:

Some of the shops around here use hydraulic oil. I have seen
others use chain saw oil. I use way oil, but it *does* look very much
like the oil I use for my chain saw. The argument for hydraulic oil
or similar is that it is not so sticky, thus does not tend to pick up
so much dirt. The argument for way oil is of course that it sticks
very well to the ways, being so sticky, and contains additives to
reduce stick-slip.

Glen

May 10, 2002, 11:45:35 AM5/10/02

A call to your local oil distributor should get some answers. I would
think something of a similar viscosity would do short term. The
viscosity of the way oils I use is pretty high, or seems to be to the
touch. I'd use 90 weight if it was my machine, while waiting for proper
oil.
Glen

Roy Hauer

May 10, 2002, 5:21:12 PM5/10/02
Bar oil for a chainsaw works just as good as way oil does. Make sure
you get petroleum based stuff as there is some enviromentally safe
water based stuff out there too, which I am not at all familiar with,
other than it does not get along with petroleum based coolants very
well.

On 10 May 2002 08:33:56 -0700, ka...@velocedge.com (KD) wrote:

>x<>-What is an acceptable oil to use on the ways that I could get locally
>x<>-until I can order some oil made specifically for the ways? Sewing
>x<>-oil??? Thanks alot.

Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever.
Remove capital A from chipmkr for correct email address
Regards

Website: http://home.att.net/~chipmaker/default.html
Foxeye

Bruce Simpson

May 10, 2002, 5:58:53 PM5/10/02
On 10 May 2002 08:33:56 -0700, ka...@velocedge.com (KD) wrote:

I know that there are special way oils made which are quite sticky but
I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil on my lathe for years and
find it works just great.

It's lower viscosity than conventional way oil which is great because
chips and swarf don't "stick" and can be brushed off very easily.

Despite the fact that it creates a much thinner film than regular way
oil, the film-strength of these synthetics is much higher than regular
mineral oils so the protection is still there.

It doesn't smell at all -- and that's a biggie. I was once tempted to
use chain/bar oil -- never again. That stuff stinks like hell and is
hard to was hout of your hands.

Not all synthetics are equal though -- I did try Amsoil's 0W30 and it
was just too thin. the 5W50 Mobil 1 seems about perfect.

This stuff is expensive but I use it all around the workshop as a
general (not cutting) lube and rust protectant. I use it in all my
cars so always have a few ounces left in the bottom of the containers
I buy for that purpose.

----
I can be contacted via http://aardvark.co.nz/contact/

MikeM

May 10, 2002, 6:47:25 PM5/10/02
ka...@velocedge.com (KD) wrote in message news:<28c8f2d8.02051...@posting.google.com>...

> What is an acceptable oil to use on the ways that I could get locally
> until I can order some oil made specifically for the ways? Sewing
> oil??? Thanks alot.

Guy Lautard gives a formula for a homemade way oil in one of the
Machinist's Bedside Readers, he says to add 1 oz. STP snd 1 oz.
molybdenum disulfide to 1 quart #50 gear oil. I mixed up something
similar using 2 oz. STP (couldn't find the moly disulfide) and it
seems to work, though I have not tried it side-by-side with regular
way oil.
Mike.

jim rozen

May 10, 2002, 7:14:14 PM5/10/02
In article <93638721.02051...@posting.google.com>, mdm...@netzero.net
says...

>Guy Lautard gives a formula for a homemade way oil in one of the
>Machinist's Bedside Readers, he says to add 1 oz. STP snd 1 oz.
>molybdenum disulfide to 1 quart #50 gear oil.

Whoo boy that gear oil is pretty whiff. If you actually
do this, spend the extra money for the synthetic gear
oil as it will not have as bad a sulfur stink as the
regular stuff.

Jim

===================================
please reply to:
JRR(zero) at watson dot ibm dot com
===================================

James P Crombie

May 10, 2002, 8:03:41 PM5/10/02
We buy our way oil from our local Shell distributor, same guy that sells
me my home heating oil.

Shell Tonna V68, your standard way oil for 90% of machines.

you should be able to cross match this from any of your local suppliers

KD wrote:

James P. Crombie
Summerside, Prince Edward Island
Canada

Machinist - Amateur Astronomer - 3D Design

My Astronomy site http://www3.islandtelecom.com/~jpcrombie/
My Rhino3D site http://www3.islandtelecom.com/~jpcrombie/rhino/

Bray Haven

May 10, 2002, 10:05:47 PM5/10/02
>Whoo boy that gear oil is pretty whiff. If you actually
>do this, spend the extra money for the synthetic gear
>oil as it will not have as bad a sulfur stink as the
>regular stu

Hmmm.. to me the synthetic is much stronger smelling than conventional
petroleum gear oil.

Greg Sefton

Scott S. Logan

May 11, 2002, 10:02:53 AM5/11/02
On 10 May 2002 08:33:56 -0700, ka...@velocedge.com (KD) wrote:

What's so tough about getting the real stuff? A call to
McMaster-Carr, MSC, or J&L will get you a gallon of Mobil Vactra #2 in
a day or two.

http://www.mcmaster.com 2158K21 $12.19/gal
http://www.mscdirect.com 60002151 $13.13/gal
http://jlindustrial.com MOB-60049-C $45.50/5-gal

| Scott Logan - ssl "at" lathe.com |
| Logan Actuator Co. http://www.lathe.com |
| Chicago, IL |
|++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++|
| Parts and Accessories for Logan Lathes and |
| Montgomery Wards Lathes |
| Logan-Lilly Mine Hoist Safety Controllers |
"Measure Twice, Cut Once"

RCM FAQ - http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal
Metal Web News - http://www.metalwebnews.com/
Help squash SPAM: http://www.cauce.org/

KD

May 11, 2002, 1:39:10 PM5/11/02
Cause it is a pain when you have no credit card or checking account.
That means I got to take time off to go to the bank to get a money
order and so on. It would be simple with a credit card, but the way I
spend money I would be in debt if I had one. Thanks for the replies
everybody.