Steady Rest for Atlas-Craftsman 12 inch Lathe

woodworker88

Nov 16, 2005, 1:20:42 AM11/16/05
I am interested in acquiring an inexpensive steady or possibly follower
rest for an atlas-craftsman 12 inch metalworking lathe. Although I
have seen several for sale through ebay and other places, I am
interested to know if there are other brands that are compatible with
the ways, etc. of this lathe. In other words, what other options are
available? I am also open to building one of my own if anyone has any
thoughts or ideas about this possibility. It would be much easier if I
had pictures and/or measurements of a stock one to work from.
Thanks in Advance,
Woodworker88
Los Altos High School "Eagle Strike" Robotics Team

Mike Henry

Nov 16, 2005, 9:08:16 AM11/16/05

"woodworker88" <woodwo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Depending on your budget, you might try Clausing for original Atlas versions
of both types of rest. As of a few years ago these seemed to be available
new at less cost than what they usually bring on Ebay. I'm thinking $275
for the steady and $125 for the follower, but could have that wrong.

The Atlas lathes are one of the few types that used flat ways, which would
limit your options on substitutions unless you are willing to do some fairly
extensive modifications. If that doesn't bother you, versions of each could
be made from scratch or you could try modifying the MLA steady casting kit,
which was designed for a SB 9" lathe:

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/MLA-9.html

Mike

woodworker88

Nov 16, 2005, 10:46:21 AM11/16/05
Thanks for the advice. I am going to check into the MLA kits
especially as they also have some other accessories that I am
interested in. Has anyone ever made on of these? I would like to know
the amount of machining needed before I purchase. It is difficult to
determine from the description exactly what is needed.

F. George McDuffee

Nov 16, 2005, 12:38:02 PM11/16/05
I suggest you build one as a class project. Good intro to the
real world challangess of reverse engineering, and shows your
students how tools are used to make tools. Many were amazed that
you can make tools as they thought you had to buy these at the
store.

See
http://www.mcduffee-associates.us/machining/TRAVEL~1.HTM
note that the 7/16 X 20 all-thread was used simply because I had
some on hand from the parallel jaw clamps we made in previous
semesters.

If it would be helpful I can provide dxf/dwg of the Emco compact
10 travel rest. Let me know what version you need.

Uncle George

===========================

On 15 Nov 2005 22:20:42 -0800, "woodworker88"

Gary Brady

Nov 16, 2005, 9:02:08 PM11/16/05
Check out this page and scroll most of the way down to the "Steady Rest
for Metal Cutting Lathe". Appears to be plans from an old Popular
Mechanics or the like. I've just cut the ring for this project and am
waiting on some bronze bolts that I've ordered. Hope to have it
complete in a few weeks (moving slowly).

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Gary Brady

Nov 17, 2005, 8:47:07 AM11/17/05

woodworker88

Nov 17, 2005, 11:37:53 PM11/17/05
Thanks for all the helpful links and drawings. I think I'm going to
try to build one myself, perhaps using a scrap from a large diameter
pipe. I'm thinking about using a small brake drum I have available and
sawing off the closed end. My biggest question was attachment to the
ways and I think I have that pretty much covered also. Thanks again.

Bill Oliver

Jun 3, 2022, 6:31:45 PM6/3/22
Hi where would fine these plan. I just got 12' Craftsman lathe
and I would like to build a steady rest.

--
For full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalworking/steady-rest-for-atlas-craftsman-12-inch-lathe-453116-.htm

Jim Wilkins

Jun 3, 2022, 7:02:28 PM6/3/22