Chrome plating plastic?

Paul

Feb 16, 2002, 4:02:56 PM2/16/02
Firstly I appologise if I am in the wrong NG.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for info on chrome plating?

On my car the chrome is flaking off from the plastic headlamp surround. I
was wondering if it would be easier to get it done professionally or have a
go myself?

Is it very involved? I should have no problem in making a suitable tank.

Thanks

Paul

George Glines

Feb 16, 2002, 5:00:20 PM2/16/02

"Paul" <blueb...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
Paul,

Almost always easier to have "anything" done professionally but never as
much fun.

Lots of options for plating at home. Here's one link
http://www.caswellplating.com/. They sell ready made kits for the
do-it-yourselfer. If you find yourself getting heavily involved in the
hobby, try http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Electroplating/. The moderator is
a great guy and has a home setup that can do just about anything.

Good luck,

George

PLAlbrecht

Feb 16, 2002, 5:44:14 PM2/16/02
I've seen ads in Hemmings Motoring News for companies that will "replate"
plastic. I don't think it's a conventional electrochemical process like plating
bumpers. I think it's more like vapor deposition.

Pete

Jim Kreter

Feb 16, 2002, 7:33:11 PM2/16/02

Paul

Feb 16, 2002, 10:57:22 PM2/16/02
Thanks for the links,

There is plenty of useful info there. Just what I needed.

Paul

Carl Byrns

Feb 17, 2002, 12:52:39 PM2/17/02

As Pete noted, plastic is usually done by vapor deposition. The process
for plating chrome on metal involves hot solutions, which will melt most
plastics.
Vapor deposition is not a home shop kind of thing.

-Carl

PLAlbrecht

Feb 17, 2002, 4:11:46 PM2/17/02
Well, I looked in an ancient "Hemmings Vintage Auto Almanac" which must be at
least 15 years old, but there's a single listing for "Plastic Chrome Plating."

Plastic Chrome Plating
8925 Bristol Court
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
313-485-4655, 326-1858

(Later note -- this phone number reappears in my web search as "Gary's Plastic
Chrome Plating.")

Says "mail order only. Remetalizing of plastic interior parts including
chemical stripping and buffing. Can be masked for painting. Parts are
non-exchangeable. Plating guaranteed."

Doing a search on the web for "plastic chrome plating" I found a few more
likely suspects. Some are repeats which indicates that several people recommend
them.:

http://www.chromeservices.com/

http://www.imperialclub.com/TipsAndResources/ComponentParts/SpecificMateri
als/Chrome/Resources.html

Dash parts, Arm rest, Air ducts, Anything plastic. 818-342-5798.

Professional replating of all interior plastic parts, 1957-72 PLASTIC
interior parts related to your satisfaction, Free price list, Brochure.
GARY'S PLASTIC CHROME PLATING, 39312 Dillingham, Westland, Michigan
48185, 313-326-1858.

Rechromed plastic parts for all types of cars, plus fasteners, MR. G's
Rechromed Plastic, 5613 Elliott Reeder RD. FT. Worth TX 76117,
817-838-3131.

http://users.interlinks.net/shrigley/cam/plate.htm

D & D Plastic Chrome Plating
4534 S. Detroit Ave.
Toledo, OH., 43614
Tel: 419-389-1748

==============
Any one know of any one that chrome plates plastic ? I found some very high
quality switches that look very similar to the original switches but lack
the chrome plastic bezel. I would like to chrome the bezels to appear more
like factory.

Check out Hemming's Motor News for ads on this under "services" etc.
There is one place, Mr G's, in TX or AZ that does this for the Mustang and
Cougar dash pieces, so bezels ought to be a snap!

I checked the latest Hemmings that I had here at the house and found
several shops that advertised for plastic chroming:

D&D Plastic Chrome Plating
P.O. Box 364
Temperance, Mi. 48182-0364
419-260-2723

Back In Time
106 Lincoln St.
Morenci, Mi. 49256
517-458-8178

Custom Coatings Corp.
4794-C Woodlane Circle
Tallahassee, Fl. 32303
850-562--538

American Plantic Chrome
8812 Hannan Rd.
Romulus, MI. 48174
734-721-1967

=============

Professional replating of all interior plastic parts, 1957-72 PLASTIC
interior parts related to your satisfaction, Free price list, Brochure.
GARY'S PLASTIC CHROME PLATING, 39312 Dillingham, Westland, Michigan
48185, 313-326-1858.

Rechromed plastic parts for all types of cars, plus fasteners, MR. G's

Rechromed Plastic, 5613 Elliott Reeder RD. FT. Worth TX 76117,
817-838-3131.

Rechromed interior plastic, Catering to the professional restorer. Gauge
bezels, Arm Rest Bases, A/C Vents, Etc. Refinished like new. Some repair
and detailing available. We refinish your parts only, unless you you
request exchange from our inventory. We buy interior plastic. Buzzard
Products, PO Box 3544, Phoenix, AZ 85069
602/995-8699

And that's only the first of five pages of hits for the web search. Somebody in
that bunch should be able to help.

Pete