precision matthews 10x27 lathe

Tony

Jul 14, 2006, 9:02:59 PM7/14/06
does anybody have any thoughts on this lathe? im coming from a jet 9x20.
just a hobby but need better quality that the jet, the jet has been a good
start...thanks tony

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1027.html

Gunner

Jul 15, 2006, 7:47:29 AM7/15/06

What makes you think its better quality than a Jet? They are both
Chinese imports.

Though..just about anything would be an improvement over some of the
9x20s Ive seen.

If you are going to spend upwards of $1800..why not get a decent piece
of US made iron? A nice Clausing for example?

<http://cgi.ebay.com/CLAUSING-LATHE_W0QQitemZ150010708008QQihZ005QQcategoryZ104241QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

<http://cgi.ebay.com/Clausing-Lathe-8-x-36-Model-603527-1-5-inch-thru-hole_W0QQitemZ190007121787QQihZ009QQcategoryZ97230QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
<http://cgi.ebay.com/CLAUSING-14-1-2-x-48-VARIABLE-SPEED-GEARED-HEAD-LATHE_W0QQitemZ150010750122QQihZ005QQcategoryZ97230QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

Or a Southbend

http://cgi.ebay.com/METAL-LATHE-SOUTH-BEND-WITH-MANUAL_W0QQitemZ130005750254QQihZ003QQcategoryZ97230QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

<http://cgi.ebay.com/South-Bend-Lathe-10K-QC-Rebuilt-Taper-Attachment_W0QQitemZ190008696728QQihZ009QQcategoryZ97230QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

Or

http://cgi.ebay.com/DoALL-13-x-22-GEARED-HEAD-ENGINE-LATHE-13-w-ACCS_W0QQitemZ150009939115QQihZ005QQcategoryZ97230QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or....etc etc

Btw...when you start getting in the 13-14" and up in lathe sizes..the
machines from China are pretty decent. They were made for industrial
use, not light hobby use and are fairly well made

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Tony

Jul 15, 2006, 9:00:43 AM7/15/06
well mainly its new and free shipping. most of the tooling online is NOt in
florida. so either drive along way up north or get something reasonable. yea
i know its an import, but it looks like a bettter import, all the bolts on
the 9x20 are soft junk, you align it and several days later its cutting a
taper again...on and on with the problems. it was a good intro into
turning....thanks for the reply tony

"Gunner" <gun...@lightspeed.net> wrote in message

Kevin Singleton

Jul 15, 2006, 9:18:15 PM7/15/06
Tony,

I think you can get a better lathe for the money, but not a new one, and not
with the service you can expect from Machine Tool Online. I'm in
Pittsburgh, so, if you want a first-hand appraisal (bearing in mind that I
don't claim to be an expert), I've been looking for an excuse to stop by the
warehouse.

Kevin
"Tony" <tj...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Brian230

Jun 14, 2022, 4:45:06 PM6/14/22
Any place to get an operating manual for pm1027

--
For full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalworking/precision-matthews-10x27-lathe-2647-.htm

Joe Gwinn

Jun 14, 2022, 5:36:58 PM6/14/22
On Tue, 14 Jun 2022 20:45:03 +0000, Brian230
<c0ec9956926de4be...@example.com> wrote:

>Any place to get an operating manual for pm1027

Yeah, Precision Mathews still exists.

Joe Gwinn

Bob La Londe

Jun 15, 2022, 2:01:36 PM6/15/22
And Matt is great at support. If its available he will help you get it.

https://www.avg.com

Brian230

Jun 17, 2022, 1:15:06 AM6/17/22
They can't help me

Jim Wilkins

Jun 17, 2022, 6:32:40 AM6/17/22
"Brian230" wrote in message

They can't help me

-------------------------

Is this similar?
https://www.busybeetools.com/content/product_manuals/B2227L.pdf

Brian230

Jun 17, 2022, 10:45:06 AM6/17/22
I think so. My issue is with the gearing for thread making. Would all similar lathes have the same gear setup. Thank for all the help.

Jim Wilkins

Jun 17, 2022, 1:43:14 PM6/17/22
"Brian230" wrote in message

I think so. My issue is with the gearing for thread making. Would all
similar lathes have the same gear setup. Thank for all the help.

-------------------

If the spindle and leadscrew turn at the same rate the lathe will cut the
pitch/modulus of the leadscrew. To cut other threads the gearing must match
the pitch ratio. To be "similar" another lathe needs the same pitch
leadscrew and same tumbler gear ratio.

It helps to list the prime factors in increasing order for each gear's tooth
count, such as 24 = 2*2*2*3. Some of the gears in a set are for only one
pitch and needn't be considered for others, for example a 52 tooth gear
(2*2*13) is only for 1/2-13, and 54 is for 27 TPI.

If you find a 37 and 47 tooth gear, they are an approximate metric-inch
conversion. The correct but inconveniently large size is 127 tooth.

Jim Wilkins

Jun 18, 2022, 6:39:39 AM6/18/22

Brian230

Jun 18, 2022, 11:15:07 AM6/18/22
Thanks I have a manual for a pm 1022 hopefully between the two I will understand.

Jim Wilkins

Jun 18, 2022, 12:49:36 PM6/18/22
"Brian230" wrote in message

Thanks I have a manual for a pm 1022 hopefully between the two I will
understand.

--------------

It's fairly simple mental math once you understand the transformations and
relationships. I preserved my understanding in a spreadsheet, which allowed
me to experiment with metric conversion of my inch lathe by automatically
converting pitch to modulus and multiplying by the x/127 conversion ratios.
100/127 is the standard but 120/127 gave me more fine optics threads.

Brian230

Jun 19, 2022, 10:15:08 PM6/19/22
Thanks Jim once I get it all cleaned up and use it a bit it will make more sence of it. I appreciate your efforts and time to help me understand.

Jim Wilkins

Jun 20, 2022, 7:19:46 AM6/20/22
"Brian230" wrote in message

Thanks Jim once I get it all cleaned up and use it a bit it will make more
sence of it. I appreciate your efforts and time to help me understand.
-------------

I tried to learn machining and welding from books but night school classes
in them were more helpful, to correct my beginner's mistakes and enable me
to figure out the used lathe and mill I bought. Machining and welding
require a feel for how hard you should/can push that doesn't come across in
writing or video. They are examples of the saying that good judgment comes
from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment. Luckily for me the
worst judgment I've learned from was someone else's, and I could wash off
the blood and burn marks. The scarred carriage of my ex trade school lathe
is a reminder to stay alert.

Brian230

Jun 20, 2022, 2:15:06 PM6/20/22
So true

Bob La Londe

Jun 20, 2022, 2:33:43 PM6/20/22
On 6/20/2022 4:19 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

> I tried to learn machining and welding from books but night school
> classes in them were more helpful, to correct my beginner's mistakes and
> enable me to figure out the used lathe and mill I bought. Machining and
> welding require a feel for how hard you should/can push that doesn't
> come across in writing or video.

And often requires some relearning when going from one machine to
another. For example the little mill drill in the back takes a careful
hand on the wheel, but the South Bend 1028F can go "almost" as fast as I
can push it with the same material.

I could get work done with careful work, prep, chamfering, and ground
bevels on the little Century wire feeder, but it took all day. The
Miller 212 will weld heavier plate with cursory prep at ten times the
speed.

The other thing is every machine has quirks. On the CB1028F, I've
learned if I go under positive dimension by two tenths on the DRO and
then snug the table locks it goes to dead on. There is no way to learn
that except by using that machine or talking to somebody who has. (I'm
not saying the machine is inherently that accurate or precise in net
results.)

The skills translate, but the brain has to drive the skills or things go
bad quickly.

As an aside note. My son can't seem to setup a welder for a job very
well, but once I dial it in he has a much better hand at it. He took
welding classes. I learned the numbers out of a book and off the
Internet. To be fair he doesn't weld much these days, and he is slowly
learning when he does how to adjust the machine from the flip chart
settings based on symptoms and performance.

> They are examples of the saying that
> good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad
> judgment. Luckily for me the worst judgment I've learned from was
> someone else's, and I could wash off the blood and burn marks. The
> scarred carriage of my ex trade school lathe is a reminder to stay alert.

I have lots of good judgement. LOL. Why just yesterday I gained some
more when I realized the 3D geometry I was CNC machining wasn't lined up
with the 2D limit geometry. Today I get to do it right.

Tom

Jan 26, 2023, 9:45:07 PM1/26/23
Brian, I was looking for a part for my PM 1027 and saw your post that you were looking for an Operation and Instruction manual for it. I have a one and also the parts list if you are still looking for it. I would be happy to scan and send it to you if you still need them. Tom, Glen Saint Mary, Florida
Email Tho...@nefcom.net

brian

Jan 27, 2023, 12:05:17 AM1/27/23
Yes that would be great. My email is brian...@gmail.com