A Google Csoportok már nem támogatja az új Usenet-bejegyzéseket és -feliratkozásokat. A korábbi tartalmak továbbra is megtekinthetők.

Hobby Mill/Drill/Lathe in Ontario, Canada

549 megtekintés
Ugrás az első olvasatlan üzenetre

Brian

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 0:57:382003. 05. 08.
Greetings all,

I'm posting in hopes that someone out there has been through something
similar to what I'm currently going through.

My problem is that I found out about metal casting. Why is this a
problem? Well, since I now have a furnace and have made several
impressibe blobs of metal, various ingots, and a few lost foam
castings, I have discovered that this isn't quite enough for me. I
NEED A MILL.

Now you folks in the US probably think that a hobby mill or
combination machine would be easy to procure. You simply go down to
your nearest Grizzly, Homier (Speedway), or Harbor Freight store and
buy one. Not quite so in Canada.

No, we don't live in igloos - no tipis either. Some things, however,
seem to be hard to come by such as imported metalworking equipment.

So far, I have found one source that offers hobby-style products
within a reasonable distance from me. It is a company called Toolex
(http://www.toolex.ca) that is located in London, ON but does not sell
to the public. I was informed that the nearest distributor is in
Kitchener, ON (quite close to me) but they don't stock anything and
can't tell me anything that isn't found in the online description
blurb. They quoted the price of $2100 CAD (~$1,503.28 USD) for the
combination mill/drill/lathe machine found at
http://www.toolex.ca/lathe.htm#CH-350L . I don't know about you, but
after looking at some of the imports (and I suspect that this might
actually be imported as well) that this price is outrageous.

I would really like to get something like the machines described at
http://www.mini-lathe.com . I have looked into Grizzly, Harbour
Freight, Homier, Smithy, and other common sources for these products
but the shipping and duty is going to KILL me if I get anything from
the US. Many companies won't even ship these due to the excessive
weight (Harbor Freight, >150lbs). I've looked at the Sherline
products but believe that they are too small for my desired
applications. Emco is a possibility but there is still the problem of
shipping and duty.

To those of you that have these machines in Ontario, Canada: Where
the heck did you get them?

Thank you in advance for advice received!

-Brian

Stan Stocker

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 2:31:202003. 05. 08.
Hi Brian,

Actually it's not so easy in the US either! The nearest Grizzly is a 4
1/2 hour drive without stops, the nearest horror fright is around 2
hours and isn't one of their higher end stores anyhow :-( Many folks in
the US have to get tools via truck too.

One Canadian dealer I have seen mentioned often is Busy Bee:

http://www.busybeetools.com/main/home.htm

I've never done business with this company as I'm in the US, so this
isn't a recommendation, just a lead.

They do have a store in North York, no idea if this is next door or a
days travel for you though.

Cheers,
Stan

Mike Graham

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 7. 14:19:382003. 05. 07.
In article <67e52a46.03050...@posting.google.com>, Brian wrote:

> Now you folks in the US probably think that a hobby mill or
> combination machine would be easy to procure. You simply go down to
> your nearest Grizzly, Homier (Speedway), or Harbor Freight store and
> buy one. Not quite so in Canada.

Depends where you live. There's "House of Tools" which sell a few.
Actually, I think it's the "Toolex" imports that they sell. They've got
catalogues and telephone ordering and whatnot.

mi...@metalmangler.com |

Surf-dude

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 6:25:562003. 05. 08.
On Thu, 08 May 2003 06:31:20 GMT, Stan Stocker
<skst...@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Hi Brian,
>
>Actually it's not so easy in the US either! The nearest Grizzly is a 4
>1/2 hour drive without stops, the nearest horror fright is around 2
>hours and isn't one of their higher end stores anyhow :-( Many folks in
>the US have to get tools via truck too.
>
>One Canadian dealer I have seen mentioned often is Busy Bee:
>
>http://www.busybeetools.com/main/home.htm
>
>I've never done business with this company as I'm in the US, so this
>isn't a recommendation, just a lead.
>
>They do have a store in North York, no idea if this is next door or a
>days travel for you though.
>
>Cheers,
>Stan

Brian,

I'll second Stan's recomendation of Busy Bee. They have reasonably
good quality lathes at reasonable prices. Lots of accessories, too.
I've had some minor dealings with them, and the service is good. I
intend to buy a 10x18 lathe from them, and possibly a small mill later
on.
There must be 6 stores in Ontario, so there should be no problem
finding one near you.

Good luck :)

James (aka surf-dude)

Ken

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 7:30:282003. 05. 08.
Busy Bee
House of Tools
Both have websites.

I believe House of Tools has a mini-mill.
Otherwise you need to look at a 3-in-1 machine, or a larger drill/mill.
Unforunately neither has the smaller drill/mill.

Busy Bee has a bench and floor knee mill if you need something larger.

"Brian" <sparky...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

Jeff Williams

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 8:00:272003. 05. 08.
Hello,

If you don't mind not getting new you might want to look in the Tri-Ad
papers (now called the iSell Classifieds). There is a desktop
mill-drill in there this week for about $1000 I thought. It's where I
found my Colchester full size lathe. I find out of all the classified
rags the Tri-Ad/iSell has the best metal working stuff in it.
I'm not a huge Busy Bee fan since I had a bad experience at the store
close to me. And the grinder I got was missing some parts etc.
Probably just back luck getting a bad employee at the store and the
grinder issue was more about buying cheaper import items.
Generally more expensive, there is also KBC Tools at
http://www.kbctools.com that has Ontario stores and WWW site for ordering.

TTYL, Jeff

Brian Lawson

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 7:50:302003. 05. 08.
Hey Brian,

Are you interested in GOOD (better than new) used??? Want to drive to
Windsor? I have a friend here in Windsor who got a 3-in-1 and
separated it into a lathe and a mill. Very nice. If you are REALLY
interested, I could send some pictures, but it would take some effort.

And just for you, no GST, no PST. <VBG>

Where are you located? KBC Tools <www.KBCTOOLS.com>, among others,
has a pretty good range of new stuff. Smithy is just a little
south-east of Ann Arbor, about an hour west of me in Michigan. Pretty
good stuff, and importing is NO problem if you drive over and get it
yourself. Just taxes at the border. Can't help you out with prices
though.

And how about BusyBee?

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Windsor, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Michael

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 12:03:312003. 05. 08.
i guess some people have had luck at busy bee, but i will never darken the
doorstep again - talk about crap. like a a set mt2 collets with 3 thou run
out - on the positive side though, they did take the return

i think kbc (mississauga) also has some smaller mills.

if you're spending upwards of 2k you can look at getting a real mill used.
It may require some patience for the right opportunity to come along though.

for example, join and spend some time networking the the toronto society of
model engineers, i also thinks theres a group out around kitchener as well.

"Jeff Williams" <jwil...@darkphton.com> wrote in message

Phil Teague

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 10:28:512003. 05. 08.
Brian:

Before you buy a 3in1, I would go back and read a little more about
these machines (in this newsgroup and others) and think about whether
this would be a good choice for what you want to do. It may be that a
3in1 is the right machine for you, but, the alternative of a separate
mill and lathe has its advantages.

Former 3in1 owner,

Phil

sparky...@yahoo.ca (Brian) wrote in message news:<67e52a46.03050...@posting.google.com>...

Kai St-Louis

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 9:18:522003. 05. 08.
Brian,

I don't think they have a 3 in 1, but king tools have a line of imported
metalworking tools.

I purchased the PDM 30 mill drill which is a rebadged RF-30, their website
is http://www.kingcanada.com
and they have a fair network of dealers across canada.

Regards,
Kai St-Louis

"Brian" <sparky...@yahoo.ca> a écrit dans le message de news:
67e52a46.03050...@posting.google.com...

Ron Thompson

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 11:26:572003. 05. 08.
Why not drive to Buffalo, NY and buy what you want?

--

Ron Thompson
On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast

Email me for current special offers on items from
http://www.plansandprojects.com

"Brian" <sparky...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

Trevor Jones

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 11:44:242003. 05. 08.
First off, all the hobby sized machine tools sold new these days are
imports. Mostly Chinese, some Tiawanese, and a very few (expensive)
european.
BusyBee and House of Tools are purveyors of import goods at (often)
quality prices. In my experience BusyBee stock more really low grade
stuff than does HoT, but that mainly applies to tooling and accesories,
the machines from both are of similar quality (not the highest).

Do your homework before you write off the option of ordering from the
States. As an example, the local House of tools wants just over $1000
CDN ($716 USD) for the same minilathe that can be got for as little as
$299 USD ($417 CAD). That can leave you with a fair whack of coin to
deal with shipping,etc., and still come out to the good. Avoid UPS if at
all possible, or look into self brokering the parcel through customs, if
you can afford the time better than the cash. UPS typically charges a
$75 brokerage fee for handling cross border transactions.

Look in your phone book under machine tools or machine shop supplies.
Most of the machine tool dealers carry the RF30/31 mill drills in one
form or another. These are a pretty good buy for the most part. Not up
to building NASA parts, but a really good hobby machine for small
parts(huge parts compared to the mini mill's cap.) I would suggest
finding one with an R8 taper in the spindle rather than the MT3, as
there is a much larger selection of good grade tooling available in R8.
Shop around. Prices vary a lot from dealer to dealer.

I have had good luck with KBC Tools, as well as Thomas Skinner and
Sons. It does not hurt to have catalogs from the likes of Harbour
Freight and Enco on hand to use to compare prices.

The Tri-Ad papers that I have seen always had lots of metalwork tools.
Prices were usually reasonable enough.
And sometimes you just gotta put on some mileage to get the good stuff.
There is a machine tool dealer in Vermont that I dealt with a couple
years ago, and can reccomend. Joe Bergamo, Plaza Tools, Bethel VT. He
advertises in Home Shop Machinist magazine, and usually has LOTS of
stuff in stock.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Ron Thompson

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 12:29:262003. 05. 08.
And, too, it may be worth mentioning (since you are casting), look at
Lindsay publications web site. There is a series of books by Gingery called
something like "make your own metalworking shop from scrap" He starts with a
furnace and proceeds to build a metal lathe, mill, etc.
http://www.lindsaybks.com/

--

Ron Thompson
On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast
USA

Email me for current special offers on items from
http://www.plansandprojects.com

"Trevor Jones" <t.o....@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Brian

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 13:10:232003. 05. 08.
Brian,

Windsor is only about 3 to 4 hours from here and for what I want, I
would definitely consider the drive. I live in the Kitchener/Waterloo
area, which is about 45 minutes north-west of Toronto.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that you (or your friend)
as a used machine that they wish to sell? Considering my difficulties
in finding what I want for the right price, I would REALLY appreciate
if you could provide pictures and asking price as well as any other
pertainent information on the machine.

Thank you!
-Brian

Brian Lawson <law...@mnsi.net> wrote in message news:<b1gkbvceps8q7vhsu...@4ax.com>...

Brian

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 13:35:512003. 05. 08.
Mind? Not at all! :) In fact, one might say "prefer". The only
problem with this is that although I feel I'm patient, I may not be
patient enough to wait for the right machine to come along.

As always, I appreciate the advice and I will be checking the Tri-Ad
tonight. I like the Tri-Ad but I find that reading through the entire
thing is an evening-long ordeal. Also, by the time I end up calling
about the things that are of interest to me, they're sold! :(

I also find that the majority of the mills that are in the Tri-Ad are
of the "horizontal" variety. Are these of any use to a hobbyist such
as myself?

-Brian

Jeff Williams <jwil...@darkphton.com> wrote in message news:<vFrua.137661$kYH....@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...

Ted Edwards

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 13:41:502003. 05. 08.
Brian Lawson wrote:

> Are you interested in GOOD (better than new) used??? Want to drive to
> Windsor? I have a friend here in Windsor who got a 3-in-1 and
> separated it into a lathe and a mill. Very nice. If you are REALLY
> interested, I could send some pictures, but it would take some effort.
>
> And just for you, no GST, no PST. <VBG>
>
> Where are you located? KBC Tools <www.KBCTOOLS.com>, among others,
> has a pretty good range of new stuff. Smithy is just a little
> south-east of Ann Arbor, about an hour west of me in Michigan. Pretty
> good stuff, and importing is NO problem if you drive over and get it
> yourself. Just taxes at the border. Can't help you out with prices
> though.

I have had a Smithy AT-300 for about ten years and am still happy with
it. As Brian suggested, I went and got mine. (At the time Snithy had a
facility in the Dalles Oregon which is straight south of here (Okanagan
Valley BC). Paid the GST at the border and that was it.

Ted

Ted Edwards

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 13:41:522003. 05. 08.
Phil Teague wrote:

> Before you buy a 3in1, I would go back and read a little more about
> these machines (in this newsgroup and others) and think about whether
> this would be a good choice for what you want to do. It may be that a
> 3in1 is the right machine for you, but, the alternative of a separate
> mill and lathe has its advantages.

But bear in mind that the antis have been more vociferous than the pros.

Ted

Ted Edwards

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 13:41:542003. 05. 08.
Brian wrote:

> castings, I have discovered that this isn't quite enough for me. I
> NEED A MILL.

You will NEED A LATHE as well within 15 minutes (or less) of getting a
mill. So, in your planning, consider the cost and space for both or for
a 3-in-1. I hyave a Smithy and am happy with it.

Ted

Brian

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 13:43:512003. 05. 08.
I've looked into this and it looks very promising. The store that you
mention in North York (Toronto) is only about 45 minutes from here.
They're having a sale this weekend and I plan to be there to check
things out. Since you posted the message, there have been others that
have recommended Busy Bee as well but as you were the first, thank
you. :)

Does anyone know if their products from the "Craftex" line are
re-branded imports or who makes them?

-Brian

Stan Stocker <skst...@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<3EB9F951...@adelphia.net>...

Brian

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 13:47:322003. 05. 08.
From their web site, it appears as though House of Tools only has
outlets in the west - a 4 day drive from here ;)

As I mentioned in my original post, I'm near Kitchener, ON which is
about an hour or two south of you judging by your signature.

-Brian

Mike Graham <mi...@metalmangler.com> wrote in message news:<slrnbbijh...@zippy.metalmangler.com>...

Stanley Baer

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 13:52:262003. 05. 08.
I'll sell you my used Bridgeport clone. It is single phase and much
more useful than those little mill drill things for $2300 Canadian.

stan

Spehro Pefhany

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 14:29:122003. 05. 08.
On 8 May 2003 10:10:23 -0700, the renowned sparky...@yahoo.ca
(Brian) wrote:

>Brian,
>
>Windsor is only about 3 to 4 hours from here and for what I want, I
>would definitely consider the drive. I live in the Kitchener/Waterloo
>area, which is about 45 minutes north-west of Toronto.

KBC also has a location in Mississauga, BTW.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
sp...@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

David Nedved

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 14:52:192003. 05. 08.
On Thu, 08 May 2003 17:41:50 +0000, Ted Edwards wrote:

> Paid the GST at the border and that was it.

I've never been to Canada, but I've crossed lots of borders with lots of
weird things. If you were driving an old beater work van filled with
tools, and the machinery was out of the box and a little dirty looking,
would you still get asked to pay GST for it? Just a thought... not
suggesting that anyone break any laws of course.

clare .ca

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 16:43:212003. 05. 08.
On 8 May 2003 10:10:23 -0700, sparky...@yahoo.ca (Brian) wrote:

>Brian,
>
>Windsor is only about 3 to 4 hours from here and for what I want, I
>would definitely consider the drive. I live in the Kitchener/Waterloo
>area, which is about 45 minutes north-west of Toronto.
>
>If I understand you correctly, you're saying that you (or your friend)
>as a used machine that they wish to sell? Considering my difficulties
>in finding what I want for the right price, I would REALLY appreciate
>if you could provide pictures and asking price as well as any other
>pertainent information on the machine.
>
>Thank you!
>-Brian

I think Don Bartlett on Shallmar Crt in Waterloo had one for sale a
while back - may still have it. It was virtually brand new. - just a
Mill/Drill IIRC. I got my Myford Super 7 from him a few years back.

Brian

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 17:26:042003. 05. 08.
Stan,

Can you give just a bit more information than that? lol :)

I'm interested, but would have to know MUCH more about what I'm buying
before making any sort of serious commitment. Pictures and specs may
be emailed to me at the listed address.

Your location would also be a factor.

I'm begiginning to be convinced away from the tiny-mills that are out
there. I also found out directly from a Busy Bee representative that
their "Craftex" line of machines are in fact imported from China,
Taiwan, and likely other places.

-Brian

Stanley Baer <sb...@robustmachine.com> wrote in message news:<3EBAA748...@robustmachine.com>...

Ken Davey

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 20:21:052003. 05. 08.

"Michael" <micha...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> i guess some people have had luck at busy bee, but i will never darken the
> doorstep again - talk about crap. like a a set mt2 collets with 3 thou
run
> out - on the positive side though, they did take the return
Buzy Bee is the same as any other 'discount' supplier - you get what you pay
for. I have been a frequent shopper at Busy Bee and overall have been
satisfied with my purchase and certainly satisfied with their service. Never
been in one of their stores. I shop through their catalogue or online.
http://www.busybeetools.com/

Regards.
Ken.

Brian

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 21:11:452003. 05. 08.
Your advice is well-received.

From my research, I would say that the opinion of these machines is
split into about 30-40% for and the rest against. That's enough to
make me seriously question the purchase of one.

Perhaps I should approach this by asking for some of the specifics on
what you can and can't do with these machines that a hobbyist such as
myself would want to do. After I've conquered a few easier projects,
I'd like to retrofit the machine to CNC myself. Apparently, the
difficult part in this is the stepper motor mounts and transmission
(assuming that they aren't directly connected). Considering my title,
Computer Engineering Technologist, the rest should be a snap... :)

I have a feeling that converting a 3-in-1 machine is going to be more
difficult than a run-of-the-mill [grin] mill.

-Brian

philt...@yahoo.com (Phil Teague) wrote in message news:<c785d415.03050...@posting.google.com>...

Trevor Jones

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 21:03:152003. 05. 08.
Brian wrote:

> Does anyone know if their products from the "Craftex" line are
> re-branded imports or who makes them?
>
> -Brian

For all intents and purposes, the real short answer to the question you
ask is that ALL the machines sold new by EVERYBODY are re-branded
imports. They buy them by the container load from China or (in the
slightly better grades, Tiawan), made to the price point they request,
and resell them either as their own house brand or wholesale them out to
other companies to sell as their house brand.

In sizes HSM's would be interested in there are few exceptions to this.
And those exceptions will cost you enough up front that you are quite
sure you are getting something other than mid to low grade Chinese
product. (eg. Myford, Prazi, and Proxxon fall into this category).
Sherline and Taig are North American products.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Stanley Baer

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 8. 21:46:392003. 05. 08.
The mill is a Kent, made in Taiwan, I would guess it to be 15 years old.
It has an 8 speed head 9 x 42 table, one shot lubrication. It is
in Kitchener, I have had it for 5 years and have found a larger mill in
a scape yard that needed some work so now I have two mills. This mill
is not in new condition but it still far more useful than those mini
mills. For $3000 I will leave the Mitutoyo DRO on, if you take it by
monday you can have iot for $2000 (I need the room to work on my car).

stan

Brian Lawson

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 9. 2:08:162003. 05. 09.
Hey Brian,

RUN. Do NOT walk. RUN over and get that deal from Stan. New cheap
Mitutoyo DRO's on special sale are about $1,100 Cdn right now, so that
means you are getting the mill for less than a thousand bucks. Kent
is a "better" quality economy equipment, almost always clones of other
high quality makers. Only question would be to ask Stan about voltage
and current requirements, or see what his set-up is. And hopefully it
has R-8.

Good Luck.

Brian Lawson,
Windsor, Ontario.

ps... if you do buy this mill from Stan, and you've still got some
cash left over for a lathe, I've got a very good condition 9" South
Bend lathe with full set of change gears I'm about to put in the
classified's (sold my house----getting ready to move soon). If you
don't (buy from Stan), I'll get some info about my late friends that I
wrote of earlier. Or his 10" SB with quick change.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Gary Coffman

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 9. 3:31:542003. 05. 09.
On 8 May 2003 10:35:51 -0700, sparky...@yahoo.ca (Brian) wrote:
>I also find that the majority of the mills that are in the Tri-Ad are
>of the "horizontal" variety. Are these of any use to a hobbyist such
>as myself?

Yes. Horizontal mills are generally more rigid than vertical mills.
So you can get a lot of capability in a small package with a
horizontal mill.

Gary

Gary Coffman

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 9. 4:04:032003. 05. 09.
On 8 May 2003 18:11:45 -0700, sparky...@yahoo.ca (Brian) wrote:
>From my research, I would say that the opinion of these machines is
>split into about 30-40% for and the rest against. That's enough to
>make me seriously question the purchase of one.

The primary drawbacks have to do with using the 3-N-1 as a mill.

The large overhang makes them have poor rigidity. That means
they chatter like hell if you take even moderately heavy cuts. So
you wind up spending all afternoon *very* sloooowly nibbling at
something you should be able to cut in 5 minutes.

The lack of a knee, and in some cases lack of an adjustable head
too, is also a severe drawback. You wind up having to block the
work up in creative ways to get it up where the cutter can be used
on it. (You don't want to extend the quill any further than absolutely
necessary when milling.) That hurts rigidity too. Tool changes also
generally cause you to lose zero (which then takes considerable
time to restore). Table size and motion are usually very limited too.

As lathes, they are considerably better, but the high centers, and
the table doing double duty as the apron, still can cause problems.
On the one hand, the large swing is nice for doing large diameter
parts, but on the other hand the high centers and tall toolposts don't
have the rigidity you need, so you're fighting chatter again. The
oversize table doubling as apron also limits your travel, so you
wind up not being able to cut over the whole center to center
distance (which is not much to begin with).

>Perhaps I should approach this by asking for some of the specifics on
>what you can and can't do with these machines that a hobbyist such as
>myself would want to do. After I've conquered a few easier projects,
>I'd like to retrofit the machine to CNC myself. Apparently, the
>difficult part in this is the stepper motor mounts and transmission
>(assuming that they aren't directly connected). Considering my title,
>Computer Engineering Technologist, the rest should be a snap... :)

Some 3-N-1 machines come with mounts for CNC steppers. My
Shoptask is an example. So it is relatively trivial to convert it to
CNC (they even sell a kit). But instead of a manual piece of crap,
now you've got a CNC piece of crap. :-)

If you sharply limit your expectations, this isn't a bad way to go.
It is a relatively inexpensive way to play with CNC, not much more
than what one of the tabletop CNC machines cost. And as long
as your requirements aren't too demanding, it can actually produce
useful work on a scale considerably larger than is possible with the
little tabletop machines.

Gary

Trevor Jones

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 9. 12:29:322003. 05. 09.
Stanley Baer wrote:

> The mill is a Kent, made in Taiwan, I would guess it to be 15 years old.
> It has an 8 speed head 9 x 42 table, one shot lubrication. It is
> in Kitchener, I have had it for 5 years and have found a larger mill in
> a scape yard that needed some work so now I have two mills. This mill
> is not in new condition but it still far more useful than those mini
> mills. For $3000 I will leave the Mitutoyo DRO on, if you take it by
> monday you can have iot for $2000 (I need the room to work on my car).
>
> stan

Geez! Stan, yer makin' me cry here! I spent the better part of three
years looking for a mill and never came across anything that sounded as
good as that! Seriously!

I ended up driving 8 hours each way to pick up the one I got.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Ted Edwards

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 9. 13:18:322003. 05. 09.
Gary Coffman wrote:

> The large overhang makes them have poor rigidity. That means
> they chatter like hell if you take even moderately heavy cuts. So
> you wind up spending all afternoon *very* sloooowly nibbling at
> something you should be able to cut in 5 minutes.

While you have a point, you are exagerating quite a bit.

Ted

Brian

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 9. 13:51:142003. 05. 09.
Stan,

From others' responses, this looks like it's a good deal; however, I
don't think that I'm going to be able to make use of this machine.

Size is a consideration for me because I have a limited amount of
space to work with. Also, I would really prefer that the machine be
portable, even if it does take 2 full-grown men to do it, rather than
have to transport it with heavy machinery.

In a year or two I may consider purchasing a machine like this but for
now I think I'm going to have to stay with the smaller ones and adjust
to the limitations.

Thanks,
-Brian

Stanley Baer <sb...@robustmachine.com> wrote in message news:<3EBB166...@robustmachine.com>...

clare .ca

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 9. 20:11:012003. 05. 09.
On 9 May 2003 10:51:14 -0700, sparky...@yahoo.ca (Brian) wrote:

>Stan,
>
>From others' responses, this looks like it's a good deal; however, I
>don't think that I'm going to be able to make use of this machine.
>
>Size is a consideration for me because I have a limited amount of
>space to work with. Also, I would really prefer that the machine be
>portable, even if it does take 2 full-grown men to do it, rather than
>have to transport it with heavy machinery.
>
>In a year or two I may consider purchasing a machine like this but for
>now I think I'm going to have to stay with the smaller ones and adjust
>to the limitations.
>
>Thanks,
>-Brian

Did you get hold of Don Bartlett yet? What he had sounds like what you
want, more or less.

randee

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 10. 0:06:432003. 05. 10.
We had a Emco Maximat 11 in the little shop attached to our research
lab. It was purchased from a dealer somewhere in the Detroit area and
hauled by pickup AFAIR to our lab building. Nice little machine as I
recall altho it has indeed been some years since I used it. I guess you
could pay duty in Windsor if you hauled it yourself.

--
wf.
Wayne Flowers

Brian

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 10. 0:22:112003. 05. 10.
No, I haven't yet. Is this an individual or a business?

Is there any more contact information available - like a phone number
and/or business name?

-Brian

clare @ snyder.on .ca wrote in message news:<npgobvgomf8bebpko...@4ax.com>...

DoN. Nichols

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 10. 0:36:352003. 05. 10.
In article <jdhobvskdm3lgv2pd...@4ax.com>,
Bart <n...@com.com> wrote:

>On 7 May 2003 21:57:38 -0700, sparky...@yahoo.ca (Brian) wrote:
>

>>To those of you that have these machines in Ontario, Canada: Where
>>the heck did you get them?
>I bought a combo (B2229) from Busy Bee Tools here in BC last summer,
>it seems ok for what I do (an complete amateur) & I've recently
>completed a hand microtome (40 x 5/16" thread) with some encouragement
>from Don N.

Congratulations! Glad to hear it.

>Prior to this, I haven't done any machining since high school ( then I
>got a welder & a grinder &.....addicted!!)

:-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: <dnic...@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Gary Coffman

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 10. 3:26:412003. 05. 10.

Maybe just a bit. At a guess, you can't use more than a fifth
of the available hp without serious rigidity problems. Cuts that
would be routine on a mill/drill like the RF-30 cause the 3-N-1
to shake and chatter like mad.

Gary

Ron Thompson

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 10. 9:20:132003. 05. 10.
This is certainly true on my Grizzly G4015.

--

Ron Thompson
On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast
USA

Email me for current special offers on items from
http://www.plansandprojects.com

"Gary Coffman" <ke...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Ted Edwards

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 10. 16:12:562003. 05. 10.
Ron Thompson wrote:

> This is certainly true on my Grizzly G4015.

I've had very few problems in that regard with my Smithy. When I do, I
just lighten up a bit on the cut. So what if it takes a couple extra
minutes.

Ted

Ron Hanson

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 10. 21:31:292003. 05. 10.
Another place you could try is Global Tools, their website is
www.globaltools.com, (not alot of info there) they're in Listowel, not too
far from you, according to the salesman their tools come from Taiwan. I
bought a new drill press a few weeks ago from them, I'd say the quality is
good and it cost $40 less than same thing from Princess Auto. Apparently
they're the distributer for king Industrial www.kingcanada.com and on the
back of their flyer is medium-small Mill Drill (2HP, 16-1/2" swing ) for
$1679 including a 57 piece accessory package free, sound like a reasonable
deal. you can see it at http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?ID=121.

Ron

"randee" <ran...@zianet.com> wrote in message

clare .ca

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 11. 0:36:152003. 05. 11.
On 9 May 2003 21:22:11 -0700, sparky...@yahoo.ca (Brian) wrote:

>No, I haven't yet. Is this an individual or a business?

Private individual - retired machinist from U of W.

clare .ca

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 11. 0:40:422003. 05. 11.
On Sat, 10 May 2003 21:31:29 -0400, "Ron Hanson"
<rhans...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Another place you could try is Global Tools, their website is
>www.globaltools.com, (not alot of info there) they're in Listowel, not too
>far from you, according to the salesman their tools come from Taiwan. I
>bought a new drill press a few weeks ago from them, I'd say the quality is
>good and it cost $40 less than same thing from Princess Auto. Apparently
>they're the distributer for king Industrial www.kingcanada.com and on the
>back of their flyer is medium-small Mill Drill (2HP, 16-1/2" swing ) for
>$1679 including a 57 piece accessory package free, sound like a reasonable
>deal. you can see it at http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?ID=121.
>
>Ron

Actually they are up the '86 from Listowel a ways - Greenbush or
something like that - sounth of Wingham IIRC - definitely south of
Lucknow. On the left going towards the lake.

clare .ca

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 11. 1:17:142003. 05. 11.
<rhans...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Another place you could try is Global Tools, their website is
>www.globaltools.com, (not alot of info there) they're in Listowel, not too
>far from you, according to the salesman their tools come from Taiwan. I
>bought a new drill press a few weeks ago from them, I'd say the quality is
>good and it cost $40 less than same thing from Princess Auto. Apparently
>they're the distributer for king Industrial www.kingcanada.com and on the
>back of their flyer is medium-small Mill Drill (2HP, 16-1/2" swing ) for
>$1679 including a 57 piece accessory package free, sound like a reasonable
>deal. you can see it at http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?ID=121.
>
>Ron

I double checked - was wrong. What I was thinking of was a King Tools
servive center, and it was in Hanover -about the same distance up a
different road from Kitchener. Make both trips occaisionally and got
them (and the business) mixed up.

Brian

olvasatlan,
2003. máj. 14. 11:10:232003. 05. 14.
Thank you all very much for your sharing your advice and experiences.

Last weekend I purchased a B2229 3-in-1 machine from Busy Bee Tools
along with many, many accessories and tools. So far I am very happy
with the machine, though I have to adjust some of the accessories
(like buying the riser block to use the mill effectively).

This explains why I disappeared from this thread for a while! :)

I'm sure that I'll be around to share some of my future experiences,
but until then -- CHEERS!

-Brian

0 új üzenet