Coolany system for lathe & mill

已查看 1 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Jonathan M. Elson

未读,
1997年9月1日 03:00:001997/9/1
收件人

Donald Rothfuss (red...@eskimo.com) wrote:
: I'd like a relatively inexpensive cooling system I could use on a
: vertical mill and then move to the lathe when needed. Has anyone any
: recomendations on whether mist or flood is preferred. I want
: something that is not staining, preferably a pickup from a pail with a
: return through some filter or sump, etc. I'd like to use a flexible
: nozzle on a magnetic base.
: Regards,

The post by Jerry S. is pretty close to the setup I built. Tub, same
make pump, etc. I made a return filter with a PVC reducing adaptor
for 1 1/2" to 2" pipe. I have a 12" piece of 2" PVC that fits into the
reducer. The reducer has a piece of plexiglas with lots of holes
drilled in it, and then a filter made of apiece of replacement
air conditioner foam filter material, 4 pieces of 'handi wipe' and
another foam filter piece. The 2" PVC pipe has an O-ring seal on the
OD, and presses the rim of the filter stack, forming a chip-proof seal
there, too. The drain tubes from the mill table galleys (or lathe
chip pan) go into the top of the filter. As another filter stage,
I wrap a handi wipe around the hoses, and tie with a wire. I put
3/8 or 1/2" nuts on the end of the hoses to keep them from slipping
out. When the coolant backs up into the filter (check occasionally
by trying to lift it, if it feels heavy, it has filled up with
coolant) you need to open it up and replace the handi wipes in the
filter stack. the foam pieces can be rinsed off and reused.
Jon

Fitch R. Williams

未读,
1997年9月1日 03:00:001997/9/1
收件人

:

>Donald Rothfuss (red...@eskimo.com) wrote:
>: I'd like a relatively inexpensive cooling system I could use on a
>: vertical mill and then move to the lathe when needed.

<snip>

jme...@artsci.wustl.edu (Jonathan M. Elson) wrote

>The post by Jerry S. is pretty close to the setup I built.

<snipped nice description>

Jon,

I used a plastic pail from the pool supply store that emptied out when the
chlorie that came in it had been used up in the pool. The pail is ~12" in
diameter (across the top of the cover) and about 18" tall (to the topof the
cover) and has a cover that screws on in 1/4 turn or so. I streight threaded
two pieces of 3/4" pipe in the lathe for a distance of about 1.5" (15,000 ten
thousandts <G>) and used 3/4" conduit nuts to clamp them into holes I made in
the cover. I did something similar for the pump discharge line and the power
cord (coard clamp). I didn't think of the filter like you have so just
suspended the pump abut 6" above the bottom of the pail by the discharg hose to
let the "stuff" accumulate in the bottom. It doesn't accumulate very fast.

I am planning to "T" in a drain line from the lathe chip pan and "T" a second
coolent line over to the lathe. I'll use it that way for a while, but I think
I would like full strength cutting oil on the lathe mostly to use with the
parting tool. I do most of my turning dry because of the problems shielding
myself and the rest of the shop from the flying spray.

For coolent I use the cheapest tractor hydraulic fluid I can find (~$20.00 for 5
gallons) mixed half and half with the cheapest paint thinner or mineral spirits
I can find. The mineral spirits will evaporate slowely (which is why I like
the top with only a small vent hole) so I add a little when I notice a viscosity
increase. I use this particular mixture because it will *not* grow alge like
the water based coolents do, and it has *never* caused black stains to appear on
my vise and mill table. Thinned out like it is it flows with the kinetic energy
needed to wash the chips away which helps the finish.

Peter Nolan

未读,
1997年9月1日 03:00:001997/9/1
收件人

On Sun, 31 Aug 1997 01:36:54 GMT, red...@eskimo.com (Donald Rothfuss)
wrote:

(:>I'd like a relatively inexpensive cooling system I could use on a
(:>vertical mill and then move to the lathe when needed. Has anyone any
(:>recomendations on whether mist or flood is preferred. I want
(:>something that is not staining, preferably a pickup from a pail with a
(:>return through some filter or sump, etc. I'd like to use a flexible
(:>nozzle on a magnetic base.

Coming soon ("later this year" I was told) in an issue of HSM or PIM.
Stay tuned, your prayers will be answered. <g>

Peter

Now for the Price WAR!
http://aluminator.tierranet.com
(Excuse typo's as I hack at 60+wpm and don't re-read)
(Spelling errors are better than NO reply at all <G>)

0 个新帖子