Kitchen egsaust hood--any tips?

AndrewV

Oct 30, 2006, 11:02:06 AM10/30/06
I'm finally getting around to a metal project for my home, a hammered copper
range hood w/ iron straps and lighting. That said I'm wondering who on RCM
has some hood construction under their belt and might offer some tips.
Comments on any part of this are welcome, from the Cfm of the fan to where
to get lighting parts. I have googled around and found some useful info but
I'd like to hear the voice of "I've done it and it went like this" that is
what makes RCM so valuable a resource. The general plan goes something like
this..... forge and fabricate a frame out of 1" x 1/8" flat and apply 16 oz
copper sheet rivet/solder/crimp in place and polish/clear coat. I picked
these materials because I have them on hand but will make sub's as needed.
The hood will hang from the ceiling with the duct running approx 6' to an
exterior wall and a outside wall mount fan. I still need info/source on
grease filters and I think I need 75 to 100 cfm of fan for each square foot
of hood opening (anybody know better?).

Thanks in advance

AndrewV

Randal O'Brian

Oct 30, 2006, 1:35:57 PM10/30/06

"AndrewV" <And...@SPAMTRAPevolutionironworks.com> wrote in message

See http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?docid=53&CategoryID=508
Look at "Accessories" and " Specialty Ventilation" links.

Randy

wmbjk

Oct 30, 2006, 5:16:46 PM10/30/06

I use one of these
http://www.drillspot.com/products/50404/BROAN_332_Blower900-CFM?s=1.
Roof-mounted. Here's a previous post describing it
http://tinyurl.com/yl4lv2.

Wayne

Ernie Leimkuhler

Oct 31, 2006, 2:25:10 AM10/31/06
In article <ei57m...@news3.newsguy.com>,
"AndrewV" <And...@SPAMTRAPevolutionironworks.com> wrote:

I have built around 10 or 12 custom vent hoods.
No 2 the same.

I grew to like 120 volt MR-16 lamps.
They run hot, but last a long time and are sealed so you can clean them.
My last few hoods used these with a ceramic screw base clipped into a
custom bracket so the last 1/4" of the lamp hung down below the surface
of the underside of the hood.
This made changing bulbs really easy.

Here is a link to my gallery of hoods.
This isn't all of them, but most.

<http://stagesmith.com/gallery/residential/by_type_of_work/hoods/index.ht
ml>

You can buy grease screens in certain sizes.
It is best to go to a commercial dealer in appliance repair parts and
use their catalog to pick a screen that will work.
Commercial style hoods use Grease Traps, not screens.
These are very complicated to make.
They can be ordered from SaniSafe in Chicago any size you like but they
are expensive.

I still have the CAD drawings for every hood I ever made.
I can send them to you if you can use them.

BTW I recommend NOT having the blower in the hood.
They tend to be very loud.
Use an inline fan if possible, or better yet an external blower that is
either roof mounted or exterior wall mounted.
Both are available from Grainger.

To control the blower I used Grainger's biggest motor speed controller.
I used 1000CFM fans whenever possible.
I can send you the part numbers.

Feel free to email me questions.

AndrewV

Nov 2, 2006, 12:02:11 PM11/2/06

Thanks for the tips and links good info. I like the idea of a sheet of
paper levitating in the air flow over the stovetop. Great pics on Ernie's
site, I hadn't been there for some time. The shape of the large copper hood
w/ added ironwork on the exterior and the proportions of the smaller copper
hood is close to what I have in mind. Ernie I'll be sending you an e-mail in
the next few days.

Thanks all

AndrewV

Dawson v