Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

Diane S. Put

ongelezen,
1 mrt. 1995 19:25:5801-03-1995
aan
From *Don* Put:

To follow up on the candi sugar thread, here's some information on candi
sugar from Candico:

BEGIN QUOTED TEXT

Candy Syrup:
Candy syrup is a syrupy liquid obtained as a by-product of the sugarcandy
production. Recommended for its special flavor and taste. Used in special
high fermentation beers.

Specifications:
Dry Extract 79-80%
Saccharose on dry matter 45-46%
Invertsugar on dry matter 43-44%
Ash 0.8-1.2
Color brown: 300-425 EBC
dark brown: 1700-2000 EBC
pH 5.5-5.9

Candysugar:
Candysugar consists of granulated crystals obtained from cooling down
strongly concentrated saccharose solutions boiled at very high temperatures.
Can also be used in high fermented special beers.

Standards:
Saccharose content 98.67-99.55%
Invertsugars 0.05-0.16%
Ash 0.03-0.04%

END QUOTED TEXT

From the accompanying picture, it looks like the candysugar (crystals)
comes in a variety of shades, from very blond to a very rich root-beer
color. I have some that is about the same shade as caramunich and some
that is the same shade as Special B. They both are very sweet and taste
of caramel.

As you can see, the composition of the syrup is very different from that
of the crystals, which, as Jeff Frane pointed out, is basically sucrose.
From information contained in Rajotte's _Belgian_Ale_ book, I think most
of the breweries use it in the syrup form because it dissolves much
quicker (they also use various "proprietary" formulas that the sugar
manufacturers supply for their priming sugars). Needless to say, there
is a lot of room for experimentation here.

The last tripel I brewed contained a pound of regular (clear) candysugar,
which is the same as table sugar, a pound of the "caramunich" shade of
sugar, and two pounds of invert sugar that I made using Jeff's recipe from
the Zymurgy article. This was an 11 gallon batch. Considering the size of
the grain bill (26lbs. DWC Pils), the sugar made up about 13.5% of the total
sugars in the kettle. The beer started at 1.088 and finished at 1.010; it
is well within the color guidelines for the style.

When I run out of the candysugar I got from Belgium, I'm going to experiment
with combinations of invert sugar and carmelized sugar. I firmly believe
that there is no big mystery to this stuff and it can be easily duplicated
at home. Hell, doesn't the yeast basically "invert" the sucrose during
the fermentation process anyway?

don
(dp...@cello.gina.calstate.edu)

Allen beantwoorden