Bamberg Water Profile?

barn...@ureach.com

Feb 26, 2005, 4:30:28 PM2/26/05
I'm planning to brew a few batches of Rauch Marzen - attempting to
clone the Rauchbiers of Bamberg. I cannot find a water analysis -
anyone know of one? The closest my brew books list are Vienna and
Munich - both of which are very different.

Thanks,

Roger Barnaby

"The knowledge paradigm - the more we learn, the less we know"

John Heubel

Feb 26, 2005, 8:23:09 PM2/26/05
I checked my sources but Bamberg wasn't one of the ones I had. However, as
you're doing a Rauch on a Maerzen base you'll be fine if you use a
Munich-style water profile. As long as you don't have very high Sulfates or
a real high carbonate level it'll be good. The one Rauchbier I brewed while
in Germany was with water softened through a Brita filter which brought my
Speicher water from ~ 180ppm to 30ppm TDS. Turned out great.

--
John Heubel
Frederick, MD

<barn...@ureach.com> wrote in message

barn...@ureach.com

Feb 26, 2005, 11:28:16 PM2/26/05
I came across this analysis from a search.
Looks like a lot! of sulfate & bicarbonate to me.

Roger

Water Profile: Bamburg, Germany
Profile known for: Classic Rauchbier e.g. Aecht Schlenkarla Rauchbier

Calcium (Ca): 106.0 ppm
Magnesium (Mg): 50.0 ppm
Sodium (Na): 28.0 ppm
Sulfate (SO4): 241.0 ppm
Chloride (Cl): 40.0 ppm
biCarbonate (HCO3): 281.0 ppm

pH: 8.34

barn...@ureach.com

Feb 26, 2005, 11:29:16 PM2/26/05

Bill Crisafulli

Feb 27, 2005, 12:10:10 AM2/27/05
This looks like a ProMash readout...did you find a place where there are a
lot of ProMash profiles? There are only about 10-12 in the software as
shipped, I would love to find a more comprehensive database...

<barn...@ureach.com> wrote in message

barn...@ureach.com

Feb 27, 2005, 9:01:42 AM2/27/05
I found it at http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi
Brews & Views

If it is a ProMash readout, I am not sure how much reliablility that I
can attach to it.

It would be great to find a web site with water profiles from cities
other than the same 10 or so that every source lists

Roger