Can I use agave nectar instead of honey?

Joerg

Jun 8, 2022, 4:19:09 PM6/8/22
For a 5-gallon batch I like to add 1-2lbs of clover honey after the end
of boil, at the time when I turn on the water in my cooling coil. It
raises the ABV only by 1/2% to 1% but makes for a fuller-bodied beer and
a smooth taste while not adding any noticeable sweetness.

Well, the cost of honey has skyrocketed and is now 70% higher than six
months ago. It has surpassed the price of agave nectar on which
inflation wasn't so extreme.

Question: Is there any downside to using agave nectar instead of clover
honey?

As an aside: Midwest has a sale on some good beers but I think it's only
until tomorrow. I'll pounce.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Tom Biasi

Jun 8, 2022, 8:34:38 PM6/8/22
You can use it as a sweetener but it won't ferment like honey.

Joerg

Jun 10, 2022, 5:12:15 PM6/10/22
Thanks, Tom, then I have to bite the bullet and fork over the 70%
inflation tax for honey :-(

I don't like sweet beer.

Tom Biasi

Jun 10, 2022, 6:59:23 PM6/10/22
It will ferment it just wont taste like honey.

Joerg

Jun 13, 2022, 2:38:10 PM6/13/22
Even with a generous dose of clover honey of about 30% of the
fermentables I never got any honey taste in the beer. It just tastes a
bit more smooth and "rounded". And higher ABV, of course.

Maybe I should just give it a try with agave nectar.

Tom Biasi

Jun 13, 2022, 4:53:21 PM6/13/22
I think you should.

Bob F

Jun 13, 2022, 6:31:29 PM6/13/22
And report back!

Joerg

Jun 14, 2022, 12:35:38 PM6/14/22
Oh I sure will! It will take a while though because I reduced my beer
consumption in order to lose weight. So all the crates in the basement
are still near full. Haven't bought any commercial beer in years.

--
Cheers, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/