One Handed Beading Techniques?

Jesse the K

Mar 20, 2007, 6:06:58 PM3/20/07
Hello, all.

I've lurked on this fabulous NG for more than five years, so I know
someone reading has the answer to *any* question. And *-shock-* my
first post is on topic!

I've been recruited to teach someone basic bead stringing. My student
has the use of one hand.

I've searched RCB and all over the net. I've discovered one
exceptionally talented beadworker (stringing, weaving, lampwork!) who
uses one hand
http://www.Alexandra95062.com
so I know that great art is possible.

I'd love to pointers to techniques on the web, in books, or other
individuals.

There may be money available (but probably less than either of us want
it to be).

Thanks, and keep being weird.

Jesse...@gmail.com
Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean...

Gina Bull

Mar 21, 2007, 12:41:39 PM3/21/07
Jesse,

I also am a one-handed beader, but have some use of my second hand. I call
it "hand junior" since it is limited. :-) Beading is great therapy for
manual dexterity, and also great for forcing some creative thinking. I do
less now because I've developed arthritis in the base of my thumb, but do
keep my hand in (bad pun).

Right off the bat I'd advise getting one of those inexpensive bead design
boards so that the beads can't skitter away! :-)

I'd be glad to offer any assistance/tips/whatever as you find questions.

Gina in Virginia

Jesse the K

Mar 21, 2007, 4:22:37 PM3/21/07
On Mar 21, 11:41 am, Gina Bull <ginab...@virginia.edu> wrote:
> Right off the bat I'd advise getting one of those inexpensive bead design
> boards so that the beads can't skitter away! :-)

Good plan. I scrounged a couple of those foam trays that meat comes
in, thinking one could set it at an angle and spear beads right
through to the foam.

> I'd be glad to offer any assistance/tips/whatever as you find questions.

I'm planning on starting with bigger, developing technique, and then
going smaller.

How do you thread needles, or are you a big Softflex fan?

j the k

Maren at google

Mar 22, 2007, 6:30:02 AM3/22/07
On Mar 21, 10:22 am, "Jesse the K" <jesse.th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 21, 11:41 am, Gina Bull <ginab...@virginia.edu> wrote:
>
> > Right off the bat I'd advise getting one of those inexpensive bead design
> > boards so that the beads can't skitter away! :-)
>
> Good plan. I scrounged a couple of those foam trays that meat comes
> in, thinking one could set it at an angle and spear beads right
> through to the foam.

Those or any kind of styrofoam you come across.

> > I'd be glad to offer any assistance/tips/whatever as you find questions.
>
> I'm planning on starting with bigger, developing technique, and then
> going smaller.
>
> How do you thread needles, or are you a big Softflex fan?

since the kid went to the mainland for college threading needles
has become a major issue for me. Beading needles work for me,
memory wire, haven't started with softflex yet as crimping still
scares me (to get it right).
My problem isn't so much using one hand versus the other, but
rather having no manual dexterity to speak of and my depth vision
disappearing as the difference between my eyes is about 2 diopters
now. In can read with store bought +2 reading glasses, but really
only with one eye. - In really good light I can still read without
glasses,
if the weather is good and there are no other allergens around.

My problem is probably different from yours, but may not be
as different in the end as you might think.

Maren

Gina Bull

Mar 22, 2007, 12:27:38 PM3/22/07
I am able to hold the needle in "hand junior", then I hold that under a
magnifying lens and light and try valiently to get the thread to go through
the eye. I have involuntary motion, though, so it gets ... interesting. If
I did not have hand junior I might stick the needle in a blob of modeling
clay. Hmmm, that might be more stable than hand junior ... I'm going to
have to try that myself!

Gina

marylee

Mar 23, 2007, 8:21:40 PM3/23/07
Hi--I had a stroke a few years ago that took away my fine motor
control. I've compensated by using memory wire and the stronger
beading wire. If I need to use thread, I dip the end it in glue or
nail polish to stiffen it. I also use dental floss threaders instead
of needles-- the eye is nearly as wide as my thumb.

To pick up seed beads I've dropped, I use a lint roller or piece of
masking tape. For findings/pins, I have a couple strong magnets I
sweep over the floor or table. I used magnetic tape strips in my
plastic boxes to anchor the metal findings -- if the box falls, most
items remain stuck to the magnet.

Painter's tape (it's bright blue amd found at Wal-mart and any
hardware store) is one of my best friends. It holds many things but
doesn't leave a sticky residue.

If you any specific questions, please post them--someone here is bound
to have found a solution.

Marylee

Jesse the K

Mar 26, 2007, 6:36:40 PM3/26/07
Thanks for these great detailed suggestions!

I had my first lesson & it was big fun -- so the dread of the unknown
has been replaced with the thrill of possibility.

My student also has a "hand junior", all of your techniques will come
in handy.

We've scheduled a weekly beading bee, and I look forward to sharing
what we learn.

*Memory wire*! d'Oh!

(And you're right Maren, it's not so much the physiology as the
creative approaches we take to doing it differently.)

I have wild double vision so I do almost all 3D work with the weaker
eye shut. Checked with the eye doctor, said it's really the best
approach when there's only so much prism they can put in glasses.

dixie

Sep 29, 2021, 12:15:04 AM9/29/21
Thank you so much for your post. Very encouraging. I had a stroke June 27, 2021. I WAS doing bead weaving with seed beads. Anybody have experience doing that with a paralyzed hand?

--
For full context, visit https://www.inspirepoint.com/beads/one-handed-beading-techniques-142428-.htm

Stroke2021

Mar 21, 2022, 2:00:25 AM3/21/22
My name is Dixie and I was an avid beader of most techniques Including seed beading. I had a stroke on my left side 6 months ago. Have no use of my left hand. My. dominant hand is fine. I’m looking for help or suggestions on anything I can bead. I bought a third hand machine and have a Vice but nothing seems to be working. HELP