mint stamps stuck together

Jane Murphy

Dec 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/30/96

I have some early canada mint stamps (about 25) which were stuck
together when I acquired them. It looks like heat rather than moisture
caused the problem. Gum is full where it can be seen. Any ideas how
to get them apart that will save some of the gum, or is soaking the
best answer. mint without gum is still nice for these oldtimers.
please reply to jasm...@ix.netcom.com many thanks.

Vincent Maffei

Dec 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/30/96
to jasm...@ix.netcom.com

I'd try using a sweatbox. I'll describe the one I use, since it works for
me. (sometimes) First, I take a microwave safe box. Second, I place a
semi-damp sponge at the bottom of the box. I place the stamps face down on
the sponge. I close the box and pop it in the microwave. I usually go for
a couple minutes at the lowest temperature. I then take out the box and
the stamps can be peeled apart, with the mint condition saved.
At this point if there are any thins in the gum you can put the stamp
back in the sweatbox and reheat it for a minute or so and the gum will
even out a bit.
Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Michael Maffei

Tracy Barber

Dec 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/30/96

Vincent Maffei <maff...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

Pretty interesting idea. Gotta wonder if that will work for nasty
hinges on old time stamps, rather than soaking them. It appears, from
what you're saying, that it steams up enough to get the poop off them
and then you can dry 'em with the gum fairly intact. Hmmm...

Tracy

*============================================================*
The Great Cthulhu Lives! E-Mail: tr...@global1.net
*============================================================*

Peter Dolman

Dec 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/30/96

Would this also work to 'fix' Mint stamps with slight marks in the gum? I
think it's called "disturbed gum", but could be a mark left by a hinge that
was removed. Also, is this an OK thing to do? In the sense of it is
changing a MH to MNH -- is that illegal? unethical?
---------------
Peter Dolman
Consultant/Technologist
pdo...@eagle.wbm.ca

Vincent Maffei

Dec 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/30/96

A hinged stamp that has gone through the sweatbox that I've described will
never be mistaken for never hinged. The process doesn't work nearly as
well. This process should only be used for mint stamps that were stuck
together and you already used the sweatbox to seperate them. Stamps that
have gone through the sweatbox will lose the "fresh" gum look and will
come out with more of a "dull" gum look. I only suggested this because
sometimes when the stamps go through the sweatbox they come out with
uneven gum and putting them back in will help to even the gum out.
Anyone who tries to do this on a nice copy of a mint stamp with a thin
on the back may cover up some of the thin, but the the mark will still be
noticable. In fact, doing this will probably decrease the value of the
stamp because of the "dull" gum look I mentioned above.
I've only used this on cheaper stamps and never considered using it to
"fix" mint stamps. I believe if anyone tries this on copies of valuable
stamps where the gum is already disturbed it would indeed be unethical.
But, luckily, while this technique may fool a novice, it will be easily
caught by any expert. Bottom line- Use the sweatbox only for mint stamps
stuck together. Don't try to fix other stamps.

Sincerely,

Michael Maffei

Jay T Carrigan

Dec 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/30/96

If the stamps are of low value to start with, they will be worth close
to zero after this treatment - unless you can use them for postage.
That would seem to be the only reason to do this. Low value stamps
are easlily replaced with perfect copies.

With higher value stamps (especially older ones) it's a matter of your
personal collecting standards as to whether or not you accept damaged
goods in your collection.

Jay Carrigan j...@crosslink.net

In article <5a8fo6$d...@mtinsc01-mgt.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
maff...@worldnet.att.net says...

Lars Trost

Jan 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/2/97

I would just add to the subject of using a sweatbox, that I purchased one
designed expressly for the purpose of separating stamps & found it to be so
ineffective as to be utterly useless. I don't remember the manufacturer,
but the humidity necessary to separate the stamps was so high that the face
of the stamp on the bottom was always left with significant remnants of
gum. The gum remaining on the upper stamp shrunk as it dried & often got
into the perf's making it look as if it had been regummed (and a poor job
at that). I have had better luck with the "from the freezer to the oven"
approach to separation. In general, stamps separated after being stuck
together are suitable only for use as postage (in my experience).

-Lars Trost

Sue

Jan 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/7/97
to tr...@med.unc.edu

May I make a smll suggestion to you. While a sweatbox may be great, I
have used the freezer and they defrosted perfectly and came apart
without losing any of the material. Noth everything will work, but the
bulk seems to come apart. I find this the best method and the cheapest
around. Sue