Is anybody reading this NG?

Victor Manta

Oct 8, 2020, 5:24:51 PM10/8/20
The last posting on RCSD was on 5/15/2020, then nothing newer came...

I still remember that a long time ago there were here over 1000 posting in a
month.

Victor Manta, PWO

Philatelic Webmasters Organization & Abusives: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

David E. Ross

Oct 8, 2020, 7:47:55 PM10/8/20
On 10/8/2020 2:24 PM, Victor Manta wrote:
> The last posting on RCSD was on 5/15/2020, then nothing newer came...
>
> I still remember that a long time ago there were here over 1000 posting in a
> month.
>
> Victor Manta, PWO

I check this newsgroup when I see a new posting, which is indeed rare.

I was a collector for 40 years, actually more of an accumulator. I
collected mint U.S. stamps. When the US Postal Service began issuing
commemorative stamps that commemorated things that were not worthy and
also issued definitive stamps with minor, unecessary changes, I decided
to stop collecting. To have a complete, comprehensive collection would
be just too expensive.

I still have my collection, but I stopped adding to it in 2000.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Early in the COVID-19 pandemic, President Trump told us the
virus would disappear by April. Later, he said it would be gone
when the weather turned hot.

In Ventura County (population less than 850,000), there were
2,134 new COVID-19 infections in September as the temperature
reached 117F. That month, there were also 36 deaths, a persistent
daily death rate through the entire month of 1.2%.

At one time, Trump claimed COVID-19 was a Democrat hoax. Now
Trump has the virus. Schadenfreude!

I don't think COVID-19 will disappear until after Trump disappears.

Victor Manta

Oct 9, 2020, 1:47:47 PM10/9/20
"David E. Ross" wrote in message news:rlo8f5$14jl$1...@gioia.aioe.org...

On 10/8/2020 2:24 PM, Victor Manta wrote:
> The last posting on RCSD was on 5/15/2020, then nothing newer came...
>
> I still remember that a long time ago there were here over 1000 posting in
> month.
>
> Victor Manta, PWO

<<
To have a complete, comprehensive collection would be just too expensive.

David E. Ross

David, thank you for commenting. I'm glad that I'm not alone on RCSD.

May I ask you why a stamp collection should be "complete, comprehensive"?

I'm asking because none of mine is, and will never be complete, but
nevertheless I enjoy them.

David E. Ross

Oct 9, 2020, 1:54:56 PM10/9/20
On 10/9/2020 10:47 AM, Victor Manta wrote:
> "David E. Ross" wrote in message news:rlo8f5$14jl$1...@gioia.aioe.org...
>
> On 10/8/2020 2:24 PM, Victor Manta wrote:
>> The last posting on RCSD was on 5/15/2020, then nothing newer came...
>>
>> I still remember that a long time ago there were here over 1000 posting in
>> month.
>>
>> Victor Manta, PWO
>
> <<
> To have a complete, comprehensive collection would be just too expensive.
>
> David E. Ross
>>>

> David, thank you for commenting. I'm glad that I'm not alone on RCSD.
>
> May I ask you why a stamp collection should be "complete, comprehensive"?
>
> I'm asking because none of mine is, and will never be complete, but
> nevertheless I enjoy them.
>
> Victor Manta, PWO

My goal was to have every stamp, postcard, and stamped envelope that the
public -- not merely a business, government agency, or non-profit --
could use. I indeed have such for the period 1959 through 2000. This
means I also have the necessary permit to use "bulk mail" stamps on
regular mail.

Victor Manta

Oct 10, 2020, 1:22:19 PM10/10/20
"David E. Ross" wrote in message news:rlq85c$17t4$1...@gioia.aioe.org...

<<
My goal was to have every stamp, postcard, and stamped envelope that the
public -- not merely a business, government agency, or non-profit --
could use. I indeed have such for the period 1959 through 2000. This
means I also have the necessary permit to use "bulk mail" stamps on
regular mail.

--
David E. Ross

A huge and interesting collection. Expensive too, of course, but fortunately
less stamps were issued then.

BTW, could you get and use all possible precancelled US stamps from 1959 to
2000? Did you also use postage meters and permit imprints?

--
Victor Manta

David E. Ross

Oct 10, 2020, 10:53:34 PM10/10/20
On 10/10/2020 10:22 AM, Victor Manta wrote:
> A huge and interesting collection. Expensive too, of course, but fortunately
> less stamps were issued then.
>
> BTW, could you get and use all possible precancelled US stamps from 1959 to
> 2000? Did you also use postage meters and permit imprints?

Precancelled, yes. Meters and imprints, no.

Droger Jean-Paul

Oct 11, 2020, 9:38:54 AM10/11/20
Après mûre réflexion, Victor Manta a écrit :
Yes this forum is still in the list of the 28 forum I read each 1 or 2
days if qI see a new contribution!

But RCSD and RCSM don't have many threads in the last month (or years),
and I am sorry it is so.

I follow the French (fr.rec.philatelie) about stamp collection, nearly
10/20 threads a week, the forum from "Bund deutschen philatelisten" in
Deutsch (low activity) and no other!!

I am 78, collect seriusly since end of 1958 and have never stopped! I
have a nice US used collection (I stopped when US post issues too many
sets of 25 or more stamps never used, nearly 1987) . I am still member
from APS and CCCC (see here https://www.covercollectors.club/) where I
find friends in foreign countries I collect.

How it is difficult to find good friends in some countries (generally
because they have no more money for stamps) I have stopped to collect
all countries after Yugoslavia, Israël, Argentinia and have open new
things I collect before 1939 in French stamps or 1910 in Swiss stamps!

I could write long about collecting, but my English writing is not easy
because I have lost vocabulary, I have not enough practice. I continue
to collect US used stamps, but search only before 1929: spécialy all
"straight edges" (= stamps with one or 2 adjacent sides without
perforations and different cancelations on older "ordinaryu" (= not
commemorativ) stamps!!!

To day enough, but I think that to get a nice collection it is
necessary to be member of at less one stamp club (here in France I am
member of 6 clubs!!), the best I think is American Philatelist Society,
and they issue each month a very nice newspaper ...

Best wishes and continue to coolect.

Jean-Paul DROGER (France - LYON).

PS if you knew other forum about stamp collecting in US, please let
know and send the adress on Net.

--
anti.je...@invalid.fr
Pour m'envoyer un mail, remplacer anti par droger ,invalid par wanadoo;

Victor Manta

Oct 19, 2020, 4:28:04 PM10/19/20
"Victor Manta" wrote in message news:hu9ed1...@mid.individual.net...

> The last posting on RCSD was on 5/15/2020, then nothing newer came...

Thanks to only two collectors who participated in this thread.

Of course, it is disappointing to see how this once so popular NG has
"melted" to the point where it has become rather insignificant.

It was also strange to notice that even in these conditions of quasi
anonimity the amount and frequency of themes OFF TOPIC added was
surprisingly high.

Anyway, have fun with stamp collecting and stay safe!

Victor Manta

David E. Ross

Oct 19, 2020, 8:38:34 PM10/19/20
[begin rant]

It's not merely this newsgroup. Many newsgroups used to have quite
robust, on-topic discussions. That seems to have ended. And that is
very sad.

NNTP (network news transport protocol) has a large advantage over
Web-based forums. A Web-based forum is owned and controlled by whoever
owns the Web site. On the other hand, newsgroups propagate over many
NNTP servers. If one NNTP server fails or the owner decides to shut it
down, we can always go to another server without missing anything.

Similarly, if the owner of a Web-based forum decides to censor messages
arbitrarily, nothing can be done about it. No one NNTP server operator
can block what is propagating among the other servers. Yes, there are
moderated newsgroups; but often, there are multiple moderators for a
newsgroup limiting the ability of one person to be a censor.

[end rant]

Droger Jean-Paul

Oct 20, 2020, 5:04:46 AM10/20/20
Victor Manta a utilisé son clavier pour écrire :
Yes you are right, but the number of member from APS has also seriouslu
decreased from more then 80 000 to less then 30 000 in less then 10
years ....

Here in France it is the same and a lots of clubs or associations have
died in less then 10 years.

I continue, but it is no more easy to find friends through the world,
it is also difficult to find used stamps isuued last 5 years but older
French stamps (before 1960) are sold berween 10 to 25% from catalog
price (because all older collectors have it and nobody begins a
collection.

Have a nice day.

Jean-Paul DROGER FRANCE

me

Oct 21, 2020, 4:49:52 PM10/21/20
In article <rmlbi5$1n30$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
This newsgroup is in my subscription list, but this is the first time
I've ever posted to it.

Usenet in general has been losing popularity over the years. I started
on Usenet back in 1983 in college. Picked it up again in the late '90s,
and have been a regular subscriber to several groups since then. Some
of the binary groups get a lot of traffic, but discussion groups are
pretty much non-existent anymore. I subscribe to a discussion group
related to a band that I like, but it seems like it died about 15 years
ago. There are still posts to it, but they are from psychotic people
ranting about politics instead of discussing the band.

Stamp collecting in general has also seen a major decline in popularity.
I'm 55 years old, and I go to stamp shows a few times a year. We have
one locally that's once a year that used to draw dozens of vendors and a
couple thousand people. Last year, it was noticeably smaller. I
overheard one vendor saying that at least half a dozen vendors from the
previous year had either died, or were in such poor health that they had
retired. At the shows I go to, I am usually by far the youngest person
there (as I said, I'm 55).

There are websites devoted to stamp collecting that get a fair amount of
traffic. I think that's where most collectors are going.

Stan Fairchild

Nov 25, 2020, 6:54:30 PM11/25/20

Stan Fairchild

Nov 25, 2020, 6:55:08 PM11/25/20

Tony Clayton

Feb 15, 2021, 6:05:59 PM2/15/21
I have a look occasionally, but with many internet chat areas this idea
of using newsgroups has declined

Best wishes

Tony

--
Tony Clayton
www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk

https://www.avg.com

James

Mar 15, 2021, 2:12:34 AM3/15/21
Greetings from Tokyo. Stamp hound swamped with mostly used Japanese from
1960's to present. Just rediscovered usenet after many many years. Glad
to see this is still here! Any lurkers?