First Day Cover - George Eastman 1954

Neil

Feb 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/11/00
I am working through my father's old stamp collection. I have found an
official First Day cover sent to him by Kodak to commemerate the one
hundredth anniversary of George Eastman's birth. It has 3x30cent stamps on
the cover post marked Rochester. Can anyone advise if it has any value. Is
anyone interested in purchase ?

Neil Hampshire

Stephen Suffet

Feb 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/12/00

Greetings:

First day covers from the 1950s are plentiful, and ones with
common cachets (graphic designs related to the theme of the stamp)
usually sell at retail for $1 or less. However, if your FDC has a
cachet of the Eastman Kodak Company itself, it is known as a promo-
tional or advertising first day cover. They tend to be scarcer, and
the demand for them is such that they often fetch $3 to $5 each.

If that's what you have, you might wasnt to put it up for sale on
eBay, along with a good scan so everyone can see what it is. Or else
you can contact John Hotchner < mailto:JMHS...@ix.netcom.com > as he
collects such material. John is a former president of the American
Philatelic Society, and he is well respected for both his knowledge
and his integrity.

By the way, the denomination of the stamp is 3c, not 30c.

Best of luck.

Regards,
Steve

Victor Manta

Feb 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/12/00
Just a few words about George Eastman and his camera.

By 1888, Eastman has simplified the camera into a small, easily held box
measuring three and three-quarter inches high, three and a quarter inches
wide, and six and a half inches long. This camera, named Kodak and priced
at $25, even if among the cheapest and smallest at time, was still
unaffordable for most Americans.

It was 100 years ago, in February 1900, that George Eastman first introduced
the Kodak Brownie box camera. The price tag was one dollar and the film sold
for 15 cents a roll. It took the world by storm. The first run of 5000
cameras flew off the shelves and orders piled up at an amazing pace that
exceeded the most optimistic projections. Even corner drugstores were
selling them. Millions of people caught up in the "craze" were coined with a
new term, the "Kodak freaks".

The estimated 70 billion pictures Americans alone will take this year are
the direct descendants of the Kodak Brownie, the first mass-produced camera
in history. Its creator was a great businessman as well as a talented
inventor, and became one of America's wealthiest citizens. He gave away more
than $100 million to universities and charities before his death in 1932.

Victor Manta

Visit the Arts on Stamps Site: http://www.values.ch
Free: club, ads, database download. Art Gallery

Neil <Neil...@nationwideisp.net> wrote in message

> I am working through my father's old stamp collection. I have found an
> official First Day cover sent to him by Kodak to commemerate the one
> hundredth anniversary of George Eastman's birth. It has 3x30cent stamps on
> the cover post marked Rochester. Can anyone advise if it has any value. Is
> anyone interested in purchase ?
>

> Neil Hampshire

Neil

Feb 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/13/00
Thanks for all your help everyone. This is a great newsgroup for a newbie
seeking advice.
Neil Hampshire

dleste...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2019, 8:42:08 AM9/29/19
I would be interested in said stamp and others, I am easily reached at michael...@yahoo.com I just happened across this site or page. So please contact me using my email either way if you have the stamp or not. Thank you