SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold Commemorative 2.5 ounce gold coin is it worth buying?

jack

Jun 11, 2009, 10:18:15 PM6/11/09
Hi, they are selling this coin (2.5 ounce gold) for $2,800.00 melt price
around $3,400.00.
Introducing The �SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold
Commemorative�
does this coin have any collector value or just gold price?

http://www.zoomcoin.com/rare-coin-news/article/introducing-the-ss-central-america-octagonal-humbert-50-gold-commemorative/

Thanks,

Jerry Dennis

Jun 12, 2009, 12:40:37 AM6/12/09
On Jun 11, 10:18 pm, "jack" <sasdfa...@lkuy.com> wrote:
> Hi, they are selling this coin (2.5 ounce gold)  for $2,800.00 melt price
> around $3,400.00.
> Introducing The “SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold
>  Commemorative”
> does this coin have any collector value or just gold price?
>
> http://www.zoomcoin.com/rare-coin-news/article/introducing-the-ss-cen...
>
> Thanks,

While it appears to be a legitimate 2.5 oz. of gold (more of a token
than a coin), I would suggest buying it for no more than melt.
Watching the video reminded me of all of those "guaranteed 100% pure
silver/gold layered proof" crap tokens you see advertised on late-
night TV. Like always, do your homework before you drop any major
bucks on something like this.

Jerry

oly

Jun 12, 2009, 6:36:00 AM6/12/09
On Jun 11, 9:18 pm, "jack" <sasdfa...@lkuy.com> wrote:
> Hi, they are selling this coin (2.5 ounce gold)  for $2,800.00 melt price
> around $3,400.00.
> Introducing The “SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold
>  Commemorative”
> does this coin have any collector value or just gold price?
>
> http://www.zoomcoin.com/rare-coin-news/article/introducing-the-ss-cen...
>
> Thanks,

Buying this item well "back of melt" would be even better. It's an
abomination, a pure commercial perversion of everything that a real
numismatist would actually value. Real historical artifacts from the
California 1849 Gold Rush era were destroyed to produce this.

oly

MKW

Jun 12, 2009, 5:13:35 PM6/12/09
Its a beautiful medal. Unlike some would like, you can't expect a
company to spend thousands on sculpting and tooling then sell the
medals at or below melt...and stay in business. The margin with the
selling price isnt as high as the basic household goods you buy at Wal-
Mart..or a MacBook pro.

On Jun 11, 10:18 pm, "jack" <sasdfa...@lkuy.com> wrote:
> Hi, they are selling this coin (2.5 ounce gold)  for $2,800.00 melt price
> around $3,400.00.
> Introducing The “SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold
>  Commemorative”
> does this coin have any collector value or just gold price?
>

> http://www.zoomcoin.com/rare-coin-news/article/introducing-the-ss-cen...
>
> Thanks,

oly

Jun 12, 2009, 6:33:02 PM6/12/09
> > Thanks,- Hide quoted text -

My dog Wiggly can draw and sculpt better than this; and she's been
dead for fifteen years. But not as dead as this numisma-whore
jeton.

Please spend you money on something more numismatically significant.
Find a decent "S" mintmarked $20 Liberty from the same era.

oly

MKW

Jun 12, 2009, 8:50:54 PM6/12/09
If they offered it in silver I would buy it. I do miss the Gallery
Mint offerings.

jack

Jun 12, 2009, 9:01:54 PM6/12/09

"Jerry Dennis" <JDen...@aol.com> wrote in message

Good points. I made a mistake the melt price is only about $2,400.00 not
$3,400.00.
It's a gold token, not coated, I know the company and I know the company,
odessey marine,
that found it but I think it's selling for way too much.

jack

Jun 12, 2009, 9:03:14 PM6/12/09

Buying this item well "back of melt" would be even better. It's an
abomination, a pure commercial perversion of everything that a real
numismatist would actually value. Real historical artifacts from the
California 1849 Gold Rush era were destroyed to produce this.

The only made 350 token a couple of years ago but still have about forty for
sale.

jack

Jun 12, 2009, 9:05:49 PM6/12/09

"MKW" <mwelb...@aol.com> wrote in message

Its a beautiful medal. Unlike some would like, you can't expect a
company to spend thousands on sculpting and tooling then sell the
medals at or below melt...and stay in business. The margin with the
selling price isnt as high as the basic household goods you buy at Wal-
Mart..or a MacBook pro.

Good points but I wonder if its a good investment.

jack

Jun 12, 2009, 9:06:55 PM6/12/09

> If they offered it in silver I would buy it. I do miss the Gallery
> Mint offerings.

what was gallery mint?

Bob F.

Jun 12, 2009, 9:30:57 PM6/12/09
Wasn't this whole topic brought up some time ago?

"jack" <sasd...@lkuy.com> wrote in message

MKW

Jun 12, 2009, 9:43:26 PM6/12/09
I would say if you like it, get it. Ron Landis is an exceptional die-
maker. The piece is a work of art. Don't buy it for an investment
just buy it for the craftsmanship. Gold jewelry and Rolex watches are
marked up 1000 times over melt. Why should minted collectibles be
given away for melt value?

MKW

Jun 12, 2009, 9:46:53 PM6/12/09
They produced reproductions of historic coins using the same metal
content and minting techniques that were used for the original coins,
such as with a screw press. Ron Landis ran the Gallery Mint.

A lot of coin collectors, many who post here like to degrade anything
thats not a US Coin. There are tons of beautifully minted products
from private companies...many firms spend a lot to develop the dies
etc. There is also a bunch of junk out there too. You pay for
quality. Collecting shouldnt be for investment!

On Jun 12, 9:06 pm, "jack" <sasdfa...@lkuy.com> wrote:

> what was gallery mint?

oly

Jun 13, 2009, 2:47:56 AM6/13/09
> > that found it but I think it's selling for way too much.- Hide quoted text -

It's NOT a collectible. In fact, valuable gold artifacts were
destroyed to create this abomination.

oly

MKW

Jun 13, 2009, 2:13:37 PM6/13/09
Anything thats collected is a collectible. The sculpting and
engraving resembles the original, Ron Landis ran the Gallery Mint
Museum...they know a thing or two about reproductions. Not everyone
collects exclusively used old US coins. Or one can just by the
original for $100,000 yeah right.

I am sure the gold that was melted was common enough so that some can
be preserved. Its like the silver recovered from the World Trade
Center. There was a lot to go around.

On Jun 13, 2:47 am, oly <oly2...@aol.com> wrote:
> It's NOT a collectible. In fact, valuable gold artifacts were
> destroyed to create this abomination.
>

> oly- Hide quoted text -

oly

Jun 13, 2009, 3:31:42 PM6/13/09

It's funny, just yesterday I received an ebay package with several
medals from the French Mint. Indeed, not everybody collects U.S.
Coins.

But, this Central America POS that Monaco Financial wants to sell is
modern commercial ripoff. Gold bars from the Central America were
destroyed to create it. If somebody wanted a Gold rush era artifact,
these aren't (indeed, once the gold is melted, how can you tell that
the gold wasn't recently minted, as opposed to coming from the
wreck?). But an "S" mint $20 Liberty from that era isn't impossible
to afford, and would be a much better choice to use one's money for.

The old hippies from the "Gallery Mint" are (and in some instances,
were) most dubious characters. Misguided talent. This Central
America knockoff is just one more example. They were lucky somebody
apparently had some money in a trust fund.

oly

MKW

Jun 14, 2009, 2:48:47 PM6/14/09
Apparantly you have something personal against commercial enterprises
which is fine. But the Gallery Mint museum made a nice product and
the comments were uncalled for. I assume you find displeasure with
some of the US Mints questionable tactics and customer service issues
as well.

MKW

Jun 14, 2009, 2:50:54 PM6/14/09
Its really not a rip off. Go to any jewelry store and look at
anything..or a Rolex..all of which are fine pieces, but compare melt
value to selling price. Companies do not exist to give stuff away at
cost, with anything more being a rip off. The tooling and development
for that replica alone cost more than $15000.

jack

Jun 14, 2009, 4:53:19 PM6/14/09

"MKW" <mwelb...@aol.com> wrote in message

At a cost of $2,800.00 I'd like to see one before purchase. The hand done
scroll work on the reverse of the coin is amazing.
I decided if I can't see the token before purchase I'll next buy a high
grade $50 buffalo coin.

Jack

jack

Jun 14, 2009, 4:54:38 PM6/14/09

I would say if you like it, get it. Ron Landis is an exceptional die-
maker. The piece is a work of art. Don't buy it for an investment
just buy it for the craftsmanship. Gold jewelry and Rolex watches are
marked up 1000 times over melt. Why should minted collectibles be
given away for melt value?

Good points. Thanks for the reminder.

oly

Jun 14, 2009, 5:52:12 PM6/14/09
On Jun 14, 3:53 pm, "jack" <sasdfa...@lkuy.com> wrote:
> "MKW" <mwelbor...@aol.com> wrote in message

Gold Buffalo $50 - that's a much better option. Not a super
numismatic item, but it has much greater liquidity - note that the
seller of the Central America abomination has probably had their
pieces on hand, unsold, for four or five years now.

oly

jack

Jun 14, 2009, 8:39:54 PM6/14/09

"oly" <oly...@aol.com> wrote in message

On Jun 14, 3:53 pm, "jack" <sasdfa...@lkuy.com> wrote:
> "MKW" <mwelbor...@aol.com> wrote in message

Gold Buffalo $50 - that's a much better option. Not a super
numismatic item, but it has much greater liquidity - note that the
seller of the Central America abomination has probably had their
pieces on hand, unsold, for four or five years now.

Afew years ago 350 of the 2.5 ounce taken were made they are not selling
like hot cakes.
Monaco might send me on on approval since i bought two other gold offerings
from them.
I've always liked the $50 buffalo and finally decided to buy one.

MKW

Jun 15, 2009, 12:53:09 AM6/15/09
Which can probably be found for a good price on Ebay. Or a high grade
UH1 High Relief Double-Eagle.

MKW

Jun 15, 2009, 12:54:27 AM6/15/09
Is Monaco somewhat like Asset Marketing? Also known as Preferred
Customer Service, GovMint, First Federal Mint, etc etc.

MKW

Jun 15, 2009, 12:56:07 AM6/15/09
Liquidity should not be a primary issue...collect for enjoyment and
appreciation of the piece...not investment. Someone who pays $100,000
to add some obscure half dollar to a series isn't doing so for
investment...its because they want that complete set more than
anything.

jack

Jun 15, 2009, 6:44:13 PM6/15/09
I've got an early release UH1 didn't think to check ebay for the token.

"MKW" <mwelb...@aol.com> wrote in message

Johnny Doe

Jun 16, 2009, 10:46:46 AM6/16/09
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 21:56:07 -0700 (PDT), MKW <mwelb...@aol.com>
wrote:

Sure wish I had your money...

Unless you are wealthy above and beyond your 'collections', liquidity
is ALWAYS a concern for a thoughtful collector of expensive items.

George D

Jun 16, 2009, 2:51:31 PM6/16/09
jack wrote:
> Hi, they are selling this coin (2.5 ounce gold) for $2,800.00 melt price
> around $3,400.00.
> Introducing The �SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold
> Commemorative�I just called them and they want $7950.00 for one......Not in my budget...

George

--
Government is a voracious monster that must have your labor to control
YOU! Your money is your liberty. The taxes you pay gently enslave you,

Bob F.

Jun 16, 2009, 3:36:01 PM6/16/09

"George D" <geo...@arizona.com> wrote in message

> jack wrote:
>> Hi, they are selling this coin (2.5 ounce gold) for $2,800.00 melt
>> price around $3,400.00.
>> Introducing The �SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold
>> Commemorative�
>> does this coin have any collector value or just gold price?
>>
>> http://www.zoomcoin.com/rare-coin-news/article/introducing-the-ss-central-america-octagonal-humbert-50-gold-commemorative/
>>
>> Thanks,
> I just called them and they want $7950.00 for one......Not in my
> budget...

Well, it's been my experience that asking and getting are two different
things.

oly

Jun 16, 2009, 7:10:27 PM6/16/09
On Jun 16, 1:51 pm, George D <geod...@arizona.com> wrote:
> jack wrote:
> > Hi, they are selling this coin (2.5 ounce gold)  for $2,800.00 melt price
> > around $3,400.00.
> > Introducing The “SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold
> >  Commemorative”

> > does this coin have any collector value or just gold price?
>
> >http://www.zoomcoin.com/rare-coin-news/article/introducing-the-ss-cen...

> > Thanks,
>
> I just called them and they want $7950.00 for one......Not in my budget...
>
> George
>
> --
> Government is a voracious monster that must have your labor to control
> YOU! Your money is your liberty. The taxes you pay gently enslave you,
> and eventually destroy any human liberty you have. Fear government, pray
> for the country.

I hate to be Johnny One-note (well not really), but 5% back of melt
might be overpaying. If you buy and ever wanna resell this pup, you
will learn real fast that is a prime melting pot item.

oly

Bob F.

Jun 16, 2009, 7:38:41 PM6/16/09

>I hate to be Johnny One-note (well not really), but 5% back of melt
>might be overpaying. If you buy and ever wanna resell this pup, you
>will learn real fast that is a prime melting pot item.

I have to agree with my learned colleague.
A piece like this will never be worth more than its bullion value.
A dealer would probably not even pay you full bullion value for it.
Krugerands remain the best value in gold, not contrived crap like this.

MKW

Jun 19, 2009, 12:49:58 AM6/19/09

MKW

Jun 19, 2009, 12:54:57 AM6/19/09
There are a number of Danbury Mint and Franklin Mint medallics sets
that in complete condition with boxes and papers...sell for much more
than bullion. I know I have sold some on Ebay...and bought some...and
had ro fight several high bidders.

I know the sculpting and minting on the piece in question is no where
near as good as an old Franklin Mint sculpt and strike...as the piece
is probably made by Sunshine Mint....good work but more into rounds
and such. But I would say the quality is as good as some of the 70's
Danbury Mint pieces.

I have seen a similar item from the New York Mint...a seller of
overpriced coins. Its a $100 Gold Union, also in silver. I own the
silver and its nice. Its based on Longacre designs from the
Smithsonian. In any event the gold sells for more than bullion on
Ebay all the time...but for much less that their high issue price.
The piece was privately struck for NY Mint.

On Jun 16, 7:38 pm, "Bob F." <ad...@hardyboys.invalid> wrote:

MKW

Jun 19, 2009, 10:38:55 AM6/19/09
I disagree. People who buy collectibles only for investment usually
get burned and they aren't true collectors as they dont care about the
items they buy. And they ruin the hobby for everyone else once they
lose money on an item. True collectors enjoy the hunt and the find.
They also would never sell something they truely love for any price.
I only sell if I want something better or get tired of an item. My
enjoyment of ownership was the reward...not the price I sell it for.

oly

Jun 19, 2009, 2:14:02 PM6/19/09
> > is ALWAYS a concern for a thoughtful collector of expensive items.- Hide quoted text -

Well, you don't seem to have the cash for this one anyway so get over
it.

Johnny Doe's advice was very very appropriate and you're lucky you
can't play this one. You'd be throwing hundreds of dollars into the
ditch and would never figure it out (until it was too late).

oly

oly

MKW

Jun 19, 2009, 6:25:12 PM6/19/09
If this replica were from the Danbury Mint or Franklin Mint with their
mintmark on it....I would buy it and keep it for life and be extremely
pleased with my purchas...I am an avid collector of both companies
medallic offerings. Just because you don't like it, which is fine,
doesn't mean you have to insult others that do.

If you are willing to hire the sculptor, diemakers etc...source a mint
to strike this coin..then sell to me at melt..I will gladly take you
up on that.

> oly- Hide quoted text -

oly

Jun 19, 2009, 7:06:14 PM6/19/09

Danbury Mint is quite the joke; the old Franklin Mint produced seem
some decent items which may be O.K. at the secondary market prices -
the original buyers did not do well unless they sold for scrap back in
1979 and 1980.

Sorry, but nobody can make money in the medals manufacturing game...
the Franklin Mint of the 1960s-1980s is long kaput and its present day
namesake is not the same company nor does it have any significant
minting capacity today. Why did Gallery Mint go out of business??? I
suspect the old hippies' trust funds were running low after years of
little or no profits (of course, one of the principals died too). I
too had a large art medal custom minted about five years ago, at a
cost of $4750 - and only 1/3rd of my funds ever came back out of the
project.

Again, you seem especially dense MKW - in theory, if you wish to buy
this puppy, just don't pay much more than the gold value. Everybody
who has responded along the lines of "watch out!" doesn't want to see
anybody's money being thrown in the ditch.

oly

MKW

Jun 20, 2009, 11:25:11 AM6/20/09
Danbury Mint marketed some nice medals back in the day. Danbury Mint
also makes some very fine and popular diecast models with a very loyal
following. Some discontinued issues are worth thousands.

Many DM medals were nice high-relief pieces made by Medallic Art
Company. Medals can do well but they have to be a specific theme.
Its not an investment..I would buy new from the company becuase thats
the fun in it for me. I don't care about resale value.

The Gallery Mint made some nice sets. You are paying for handcrafted
works of art. Its like a Rolex...price marked way up...but you aren't
paying for bullion.

MKW

Jun 20, 2009, 11:33:38 AM6/20/09
What medal was this? I am interested...I love stuff like this...and
if its something I really want, I am not too cheap to pay a full
retail price.

oly

Jun 20, 2009, 12:04:34 PM6/20/09
> > project.- Hide quoted text -

Since I haven't been very nice, I will send you an example gratis,
please e-mail me an address. It is a 51mm bronze dated 2005,
commemorates the centennial of a local courthouse here at Lincoln,
Illinois. The Indian woman on the obverse is sculpted, the courthouse
on the reverse is a computer generated image. I might say it is a
copper medal (it is finished in antique copper), but I will be safe
and say a bronze.

oly

MKW

Jun 21, 2009, 1:20:49 AM6/21/09
Thanks, a reply has been sent direct. Have you seen the Masterpieces
of Rodin from Franklin Mint...produced in the mid 80's and reissued in
the mid 90's. Those are some fine medals...the relief is stunning for
a proof medal.

Aside from all of our differences in collecting...we should be
concerned about how to get younger generations into collecting. The
US Mint programs like State Quarters help...but too many still don't
appreciate anything of heirloom or collectible status.

Scratchmo

Jun 28, 2009, 2:35:23 AM6/28/09
On Jun 13, 2:31 pm, oly <oly2...@aol.com> wrote:

> On Jun 13, 1:13 pm, MKW <mwelbor...@aol.com> wrote:
>

> > Anything thats collected is a collectible.  The sculpting and
> > engraving resembles the original, Ron Landis ran the Gallery Mint
> > Museum...they know a thing or two about reproductions.  Not everyone
> > collects exclusively used old US coins.  Or one can just by the
> > original for $100,000 yeah right.
>
> > I am sure the gold that was melted was common enough so that some can
> > be preserved.  Its like the silver recovered from the World Trade
> > Center.  There was a lot to go around.
>
> > On Jun 13, 2:47 am, oly <oly2...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > > It's NOT a collectible. In fact, valuable gold artifacts were
> > > destroyed to create this abomination.
>
> > > oly- Hide quoted text -

> It's funny, just yesterday I received an ebay package with several
> medals from the French Mint.  Indeed, not everybody collects U.S.
> Coins.
>
> But, this Central America POS that Monaco Financial wants to sell is
> modern commercial ripoff.  Gold bars from the Central America were
> destroyed to create it.  If somebody wanted a Gold rush era artifact,
> these aren't (indeed, once the gold is melted, how can you tell that
> the gold wasn't recently minted, as opposed to coming from the
> wreck?).  But an "S" mint $20 Liberty from that era isn't impossible
> to afford, and would be a much better choice to use one's money for.
>
> The old hippies from the "Gallery Mint" are (and in some instances,
> were) most dubious characters.  Misguided talent.  This Central
> America knockoff is just one more example.  They were lucky somebody
> apparently had some money in a trust fund.
>
> oly

Ron Landis here, and I resent that remark. I have spent my entire life
learning early die making techniques and early minting technologies. I
am the recipient of two ANA presidential awards, the Exemplary Service
Award, the Glenn Smedley Award, and the Numismatic Award for
Excellence in Medallic Sculpture, to name a few. I also have enough
Certificates of Appreciation from the ANA I could wallpaper my house
with them.

The goal of the Gallery Mint Museum was to build a museum dedicated to
illustrating the evolution of coin making technologies from Ancient
Greece through the Industrial Revolution. Our trial-and-error learning
process gave us the the experience and credibility to actually pull it
off. Unfortunately, my partner, Joe Rust, committed suicide four
years ago and it left me quite depressed to the point I could not
continue the project on my own, and have had to lay my tools down
until the fine folks at Monaco gave me the honor and opportunity to
create this piece, which I am very grateful for on many levels. No,
we didn't have a trust fund. We worked 10-14 hours per day, seven
days a week to build something unique. Something of great educational
value.

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the
strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face
is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs
and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without
error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great
devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best,
knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the
worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that
his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew
neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt

Scratchmo

Jun 28, 2009, 3:28:21 AM6/28/09

One other thing. Since Joe is no longer living to defend himself, I
would like to add that he was of the highest character. I've NEVER met
a man with stronger ethics. Hey, this piece isn't for everyone. If
you just want gold bullion, buy a Krugerand, but don't libel and
slander people you know nothing about.

PC

Jun 28, 2009, 8:39:19 AM6/28/09

"Scratchmo" <rlan...@cox.net> wrote in message

One other thing. Since Joe is no longer living to defend himself, I
would like to add that he was of the highest character. I've NEVER met
a man with stronger ethics. Hey, this piece isn't for everyone. If
you just want gold bullion, buy a Krugerand, but don't libel and
slander people you know nothing about.

That is oly's modus operandi. He is racist scum.

oly

Jun 28, 2009, 1:14:41 PM6/28/09
> Theodore Roosevelt- Hide quoted text -

Probably 90%-95%+ of the RCC middle-of-the-night posts come from
Frankie. I was going to respond a length, but I will hold off until I
am certain who I would be responding to.

oly

oly

Jun 28, 2009, 1:19:14 PM6/28/09
On Jun 28, 7:39 am, "PC" <P...@minneapolis.mn.us> wrote:
> "Scratchmo" <rland...@cox.net> wrote in message

Actually, this is more like my MO and I will respost it for those who
haven't followed PC in the past:

+++++++++++++++++++++++

"A 2009 Odious Ode for PC"

It's really a combination of despair, fear and poverty.

PC realizes deep down that he's doomed.

He hates his job, but he's desperate to keep it.

He's upside down on a mortage on a shitty little house in a
diversified neighborhood, ie a slum.

He can't afford to fill up the tank, but his best offer on his $48K
SUV is $3K on Craigslist.

His wife is getting ready to leave with her kayak instructor.

His(?) son is as queer as a $3 bill and he prances around saying
things like "jeepers".

21% of Hennepin County's bandwidth is pix of his daughter's labia
being downloaded across the world.

Under normal circumstances, he should have the common decency to shoot
himself in the head.

But liberal twats have no guns.

So he comes here to talk about his imaginary "slabbed coin holdings".

oly

Thomas A.

Jun 28, 2009, 2:23:27 PM6/28/09

I know very little about the Gallery Mint Museum and am very interested to
hear that it was an organization that made such a concientious effort to
help us understand the evolution of coin making through a reconstructive
effort. You sound like an educated person capable of expressing himself
clearly - why don't you make an entry in Wikipedia (
http://www.wikipedia.org/ ) for th GMM so that this information and the
great accomplishments of your company are not lost to time? I think it
would be a very nice way to honor Joe Rust as well. Wikipedia is not perfect
but it's a great, free, public effort not to be dismissed lightly. Then
write back to RCC when you have completed it and we will all learn something
new and interesting.

Scratchmo

Jun 28, 2009, 2:53:04 PM6/28/09
> clearly - why don't you make an entry in Wikipedia (http://www.wikipedia.org/) for th GMM so that this information and the

> great accomplishments of your company are not lost to time?  I think it
> would be a very nice way to honor Joe Rust as well. Wikipedia is not perfect
> but it's a great, free, public effort not to be dismissed lightly.  Then
> write back to RCC when you have completed it and we will all learn something
> new and interesting.

Good idea Thomas. I am actually working on a book as well, though I
admit there's been little progress on it lately. There is very little
information on the subject out there currently. I won't waste any more
of my time responding to Oly's BS. His last post summed him up pretty
well. If he can't figure out who I am by the first five letters of my
email address, he's... well.... he's just not right.

oly

Jun 28, 2009, 3:07:34 PM6/28/09
> email address, he's... well.... he's just not right.- Hide quoted text -

Nor further responses would be fine with me. Your e-mail address
won't "unmask". To make a long post short, I have long said that your
"work" in early U.S. reproductions would be a headache for the hobby
for many years to come. I was unaware that Joe Rust killed himself,
but can't imagine how anybody can find anything noble or redeeming in
that. Suicide is weak. It's also no excuse for creating a commercial-
whore project where real numismatic artifacts were destroyed to grub a
little extra money or to work through pyschological depression. As
for how the ANA used you guys over the last decade and a half, that's
your loss.

oly

Thomas A.

Jun 28, 2009, 3:09:40 PM6/28/09

I hope that you consider my suggestion seriously, Ron, as well as continuing
to work on your book. Lots of people speculate about the lost minting
methods, but I tend to lend more credibility to someone who has actually
tried to reconstruct these methods. I can empathize with the grief that
accompanies the loss of a friend in such a way and I feel that this is a
great way to make people aware of his positive achievements as well. I know
this is none of my business, but I wanted you to know that not everyone
dismisses people's dedicated work so lightly. I am a coin collector and do
not collect privately issued medals or commemoratives, but I can respect
that different field of interest for its own merits.

Scratchmo

Jun 28, 2009, 3:31:30 PM6/28/09

Thomas, Thank you for your kind words and inspiration. It's good to
know that more people appreciated what we were doing than not. It's
always been controversial. I was against doing reproductions at first,
but after receiving such a positive response from the numismatic
community, I soon became convinced it was the right thing to do. I
mean, as long as we are trying to re-create the techniques and methods
used to create early coins, why not just re-create the coins
themselves? It was as much a numismatic research project as it was a
marketing plan. That way, when we are comparing what we learn to what
happened on early coins, we could better compare apples to apples.

Richard L. Hall

Jun 28, 2009, 4:36:31 PM6/28/09

"Scratchmo" <rlan...@cox.net> wrote in message

Personally speaking, I am very appreciative of the work you and Joe Rust did
with the Gallery Mint Museum. Over the years, I purchased many of the
replicas you produced and was very impressed with the high quality and
workmanship of these pieces. They form a very interesting part of my
collecton.

Keep up the good work.

--
Richard
My coin Links:

Scratchmo

Jun 28, 2009, 6:54:30 PM6/28/09

Thanks again Thomas. I joined Wikipedia, and will prepare an article
soon. I just hope it doesn't get interpreted as the promotion of a
commercial endeavor and get deleted. I don't think that will be the
case as GMM is now history and even though the corporation still
exists on paper, there has been no revenue generated through it for
over three years now. I'm now just a free-lance engraver, but the
story of GMM is worth sharing, and I'd rather do it myself so folks
can hear it through the horse's mouth so-to-speak.

I would just like to make another point about the Humbert Octagonal
piece which applies to ALL the Central America Gold pieces we've been
involved in such as the Kellogg $50, the Baldwin $10, and the
uncompleted one presently on my workbench.

The original coins of the California Gold Rush were created out of a
need for coinage. There was a lot of gold around, but very few coins.
Private assayers took it upon themselves to create coinage from the
dust and nuggets gathered by the prospectors to fill that void. Many
of these coins were made to resemble U.S. coinage of the period.

It's really the same thing today. Monaco had lots of gold bars. Those
bars where originally intended to be melted down and made into U.S.
coinage after they completed the voyage. The bars that Monaco offered
for sale had a limited audience because they were extremely
expensive. IMHO, they did something very creative with the challenge
faced them. They didn't totally destroy the bars. They had the top
1/4" that contained all the assayer's marks, value, fineness, ect. cut
off the bars so interesting part of the numismatic value was
preserved, and were able to produce these fine re-strikes and
commemoratives so that more people could acquire a portion of the
treasure.

Just like their original counterparts, these pieces fill a need... in
this case, the need of numismatists who have a desire of acquiring a
piece of the treasure. They are the real deal. The gold in them is
100% solid gold directly from the California Gold Rush. They are very
limited and should not be put in the same category as all the plated
"heirloom" pieces we are bombarded with on tacky TV ads like the Trade
Center medals, etc.

As time passes, they will no longer be considered contemporary
creations, but will stand alone for the historic importance unique to
them. I doubt you'll see any of them hit the melting pots any time
soon.

mazorj

Jun 28, 2009, 7:01:39 PM6/28/09

"oly" <oly...@aol.com> wrote in message

<snip oly rant>

< But liberal twats have no guns.

You think I'm a liberal twat, don't you, oly?

"Come on-a my house, my hous-a come on..."

Make it in the wee hours and please be at least one step inside my dwelling.
I'll give you your choice of final exit strategy, anything from .22 (Ruger
rifle or revolver, or a really slick Beretta pistol) to .25 to .38 to 9mm to
.357 to a 12-gauge in 00 shot or a big fat slugger. (Sorry about the
limited choice. I no longer have the .40 and .45 and .223 AK-47 and .30-cal
M1 carbine and 7.62mm Mosin-Nagant or most of the numerous duplicates in the
other calibers, and I gave the .380 to my son the cop as a back-up piece -
but I do have a black powder musket if that's the way you want to go out.)
Target placement to be my choice. And it would be a nice touch if you first
willed me a few ounces of all that gold you have stashed away for when the
minorities take over and destroy America. I have some better uses for it.

Sorry, I can't make a house call for you because my concealed carry permit
isn't valid there. We liberals are pretty strict about that.

But before you do drop by to say hello and good-bye... Answer the four
questions about your moronic rant, you lying racist twat. You don't get to
duck out of your accountability just by taking a ride in the morguemobile:

1. "A left-wing, non-white, homosexual elite has taken over the
determination and dissemnination of the system of values (and much else)"?
Where the hell has that happened? As I sit here, Gov. Sanford of SC is
being dragged through the news for having an illicit affair. That sure
sounds like old-time, God-fearing, Christian morality at work. And a gay
spokesman is on NPR whining that Obama is not acting on their needs. That
hardly sounds like the "homosexual elite" having their way and imposing
their values on society. Sen. Larry Craig's reputation has not been
rehabilitated after he was caught trolling for gay partners in an airport
rest room. African-Americans still furtively speak of gay activity as being
on the down low. The stigma of "Don't ask, don't tell hasn't changed for
the military. Congress and other government positions still have closeted
gays afraid to admit their homosexuality. What the hell are you talking
about?

It's not enough simply to respond to a few of my examples here. Prove that
"A left-wing, non-white, homosexual elite has taken over the determination
and dissemnination of the system of values (and much else)".

2. "Also, the leftist, half-breed & queer elite cannot tolerate the fact
that historic coins are a generally store of value that is largely outside
of their control (outside of their ability to steal through currency
debasement)"?

What kind of paranoid fantasy conspiracy have you concocted here? Cite
credible examples that prove that "the leftist, half-breed queer elites"
cannot tolerate numismatics for that reason.

3. "Numismatics has to be portrayed as a preserve of regressive dead white
european bigoted males"?

Who issued that diktat? Who is portraying it thus? Where? When?

4. Numismatics "has to go to the scrap heap - that because the study of
coins occasionally makes people think for themselves"?

Hubris on top of paranoia is not a pretty sight. In the grand order of
activities that "make people think for themselves," numismatics ranks
somewhere between gardening and sorting socks. And even if handling a few
gold coins makes a few people a little more appreciative of precious metals,
who, pray tell, is trying to push numismatics onto the scrap heap?

<That vast sucking sound you hear is the whoosh! of oly clearing out of the
room as fast as his pale white legs will carry him.>

< Attempt #5 to get oly to justify this rant >
< Times that oly has responded by overtly dodging the question: 3 >

oly

Jun 28, 2009, 7:27:38 PM6/28/09
On Jun 28, 6:01 pm, "mazorj" <maz...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "oly" <oly2...@aol.com> wrote in message

Numismatics is rather more important than you rate it. Did you just
threaten to murder me?

oly

Bob F.

Jun 28, 2009, 7:45:36 PM6/28/09

"oly" <oly...@aol.com> wrote in message

Fear not Oly, a pussy like mazor may SAY he has access to weapons but
there's a 100% probability that he's lying and trying to make himself
sound like a tough guy.

oly

Jun 28, 2009, 8:14:50 PM6/28/09
> soon.- Hide quoted text -

You say that the Gallery Mint was a research project. Perhaps it is
o.k. and even "scientific" to try to recreate how things were done in
the 17th or 18th Century (and we really must remember before you
recreate, we do have contemporary source materials, like Diderot's
Encyclopedia, that contain lots of information and illustrations of
the minting process) - but to what end?

If your intention of simply researching and recreating and then
photographing, evaluating and documenting the likely processes used to
make coins had been followed, well great. When you actually go to
selling reproductions, you are going a big jump from pure research to
applied commerce.

And at that point, one has to ask "To what end(s) will the replicas be
used???" Those answers really can't be very satisfactory because if
the early U.S. coin replicas are well-done, then the likelihood that
they will be used (sooner or later) to deceive somebody is high.

IMHO, your whole argument about "research project" is more plausible
if you had impounded or destroyed the results. But of course, you
didn't; you sold them. It is interesting that you acknowledge some
qualms about selling them. Your gut instinct was better than your
final judgement.

And now you state that are proud of what was done to the original Gold
Rush bars. I believe that I have seen that claim in print before, but
it is still incomprehensible. It was an act of commercial barbarism.
If Lord Elgin had followed the same logic, he would have abrasively
ground-off one whole side of each of the pieces of Parthenon statuary
to make the marbles lighter and the stones easier to get to England.
Thank goodness.

Also, against your thoughts, I would suggest that the higher the price
of gold goes, the more likely that your $50 replica products will
indeed hit the melting pot. If the price of bullion allows them to
get out, the party who had you produce them will likely be the first
to consider melting their remainder. It will be a purely commercial
decision. It will be like what happened to so many beautiful Franklin
Mint products. If precious metals prices bubble up, art will be
promptly sacrificed to high bullion prices. That was what happened in
1979 and 1980 and it will happen again.

Finally, sorry, it's always a nice quote, but President Theodore
Roosevelt wouldn't have been your type. Don't kid yourself on that.
He was a progressive for his day and age, but nevertheless a strict
patrician. For instance, his early sojourn in the Dakotas was marked
by his usually strict observance of Victorian social conventions. Had
you been one of his children, one suspects that you would have been
most unhappy.

oly

oly

Jun 28, 2009, 8:21:59 PM6/28/09
> sound like a tough guy.- Hide quoted text -

I'm not afraid, just amused and proud. We normally don't get that
much under people's skins!!! Also, liberal twats usually DON'T own
any guns.

RF, your counterpoint in another thread to Frankie about changing his
story from "vindictive individuals" to "competitors" working to get
him suspended from ebay was a good catch. I saw it too, just didn't
comment at the time. Since there are probably two or three million
people who sell coins at least occasionally, Frankie now has a much
wider audience to worry about.

oly

mazorj

Jun 28, 2009, 9:00:04 PM6/28/09

"oly" <oly...@aol.com> wrote in message

It's nowhere near as important as you do.

< Did you just threaten to murder me?

Another of your wishful paranoid fantasies.

The only thing I killed was your moronic mis-impression of me.
Besides, self-defense isn't murder.

Now answer the four questions.

< Attempt #6 to get oly to justify his rant >
< Times that oly has responded by overtly dodging the question: 4

mazorj

Jun 28, 2009, 9:11:09 PM6/28/09

"Bob F." <ad...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> Fear not Oly, a pussy like mazor may SAY he has access to weapons
> but there's a 100% probability that he's lying and trying to make
> himself sound like a tough guy.

You're welcome to try a midnight home invasion too, Finnan. Better
make provision for your Hardy Boys collection, though, lest your
estate administrator throw it out with the rest of your trash.

For someone who allegedly killfiled me, you're still pretty damned
interested in what I say.

oly

Jun 28, 2009, 9:14:03 PM6/28/09

So, if you didn't just threaten to murder me (and some people might
think that you did) then why do you have all those guns??? Are you
worried about diversities at night??? During the day, you dance the
liberal diversity-loving hornpipe. Do you lay awake at night??? It
really is dangerous out there, you know.

Are you certain that you're not getting your count mixed-up??? I
thought it was higher. Have you had your blood pressure checked???

I'm really worried you're losing it, Dave.

oly

mazorj

Jun 28, 2009, 9:22:02 PM6/28/09

< I'm not afraid, just amused and proud. We normally don't get that
much under people's skins!!!

You don't normally let your hateful bigotry show so obviously in your
postings.

< Also, liberal twats usually DON'T own any guns.

Ah, you're backing away from one of your prejudicial claims. Good
boy. That's one small step toward admitting that you have a problem.

< RF, your counterpoint in another thread to Frankie about changing
his
story from "vindictive individuals" to "competitors" working to get
him suspended from ebay was a good catch. I saw it too, just didn't
comment at the time.

I caught your back-pedaling on gun ownership. Now answer the four
questions.

< Attempt #7 to get oly to justify his rant >
< Times that oly has responded by overtly dodging the question: 5 >

mazorj

Jun 28, 2009, 9:32:48 PM6/28/09

< I was unaware that Joe Rust killed himself, but can't imagine how
anybody can find anything noble or redeeming in that. Suicide is
weak.

If you're trying to rehabilitate your reputation for callous disregard
of the plight of others, this ain't gonna hack it, oly.

Oh, that's right... you don't care about being a callous bigoted jerk,
let alone perceived as one. Sorry.

oly

Jun 28, 2009, 9:44:39 PM6/28/09
On Jun 28, 8:32 pm, "mazorj" <maz...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "oly" <oly2...@aol.com> wrote in message

The word on the street was that he had died of another cause.
Something that you would approve of, Dave.

I'm glad that you're becoming obsessed with me, Dave.

oly

oly

Jun 28, 2009, 9:47:17 PM6/28/09
On Jun 28, 8:22 pm, "mazorj" <maz...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "oly" <oly2...@aol.com> wrote in message

You shouldn't admit your gun ownership on-line Dave, especially in a
thread where you've just threatened to murder someone. "They"
probably keep records of this type of thing, somewhere. Me, I don't
own any guns. Never have, no reason. And frankly, I'm just mental
enough that I couldn't trust myself with them around. Yep, a bit
mental and enjoy drinking alcohol too. Guns aren't really good for
mental mild alcoholics, and I live in such a nice whitebread middle-
America place anyway.

Can you trust yourself Dave??? Are you sure??? Are you always fully
in control of your senses??? We wouldn't want any "accidents".

Are you sure that you're o.k. Dave??? You've just said numismatics
isn't important, twice. Now, is something wrong Dave??? Numismatics
is very very important. There are a few things more important, to be
sure, but not too many. Should we be concerned???

Is that number five or number eight or number twelve Dave??? Why do
you have so many guns if everything is O.K. Dave???

oly

oly

Jun 28, 2009, 9:52:07 PM6/28/09

I don't mean to post these things twice Dave, if this one is posted
twice I guess you'll just have to shoot me:

You shouldn't admit your gun ownership on-line Dave, especially in a
thread where you've just threatened to murder someone. "They"
probably keep records of this type of thing, somewhere. Me, I don't

own any guns. Never have, no reason. Now, once (thirty years ago) I
obtained an FOID, was going to take a pistol shooting class, but
didn't go ahead with the purchase or the class. And frankly, I'm just
mental enough that I couldn't trust myself with any guns around. Yep,

a bit mental and enjoy drinking alcohol too. Guns aren't really good

for mental, once-a week-buzz alcoholics, and I live in such a nice
whitebread middle-America place anyway.

Can you trust yourself Dave??? Are you sure??? Are you always fully

in control of your senses??? We wouldn't want any "accidents". IMHO,
being a flaming liberal and having a bunch of guns suggests some form
of instability on your part. But hey, I'm no psychatrist. You do
have a psychiatrist, don't you Dave???

Are you sure that you're o.k. Dave??? You've just said numismatics
isn't important, twice. Now, is something wrong Dave??? Numismatics
is very very important. There are a few things more important, to be
sure, but not too many. Should we be concerned???

Is that number five or number eight or number twelve Dave??? You
didn't even count on your last post. Why do you have so many guns if

oly

Jun 28, 2009, 9:57:16 PM6/28/09
> oly- Hide quoted text -

Shoot Dave, that did post twice. Or was it three times??? I didn't
mean to post that twice; please don't shoot me.

I'm absolutely certain that the money that I didn't spend on the
pistol was spent at an early CICF.

oly

oly

Jun 28, 2009, 9:59:06 PM6/28/09

How can you say numismatics isn't that important, majorz??? Are you
daft???

oly

Thomas A.

Jun 28, 2009, 10:03:42 PM6/28/09

I am glad to hear that you will work towards a Wikipedia entry. I don't
think you will have anything to worry about with respect to it being deleted
as promotional if you follow their guidelines. Many commercial entities are
represented there. Deletion (or hacking) generally occurs when an entry
strays from a factual presentation and enters the realm of self-promotion or
opinion. Just stick to facts, goals and achievements and it will be great.
The technical and historical information that you are willing to share in
the article will be a benefit to all interested parties.

On a personal note, I also think it is a fine way to remember your friend,
his ethics and achievements and an honorable and respectible way to focus
people on one of the doubtless many ways he enhanced the lives of those he
touched during his life.

mazorj

Jun 28, 2009, 11:26:43 PM6/28/09

"oly" <oly...@aol.com> wrote in message

oly

++++++++++++++++++

Out of fairness, this reposting won't count toward the number of times
you've dodged the four questions.

It does count toward questioning whether you're compos mentis, though.

mazorj

Jun 28, 2009, 11:26:43 PM6/28/09

On Jun 28, 8:22 pm, "mazorj" <maz...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "oly" <oly2...@aol.com> wrote in message

> < I'm not afraid, just amused and proud. We normally don't get that
> much under people's skins!!!
>
> You don't normally let your hateful bigotry show so obviously in
> your
> postings.
>
> < Also, liberal twats usually DON'T own any guns.
>
> Ah, you're backing away from one of your prejudicial claims. Good
> boy. That's one small step toward admitting that you have a problem.
>
> < RF, your counterpoint in another thread to Frankie about changing
> his
> story from "vindictive individuals" to "competitors" working to get
> him suspended from ebay was a good catch. I saw it too, just didn't
> comment at the time.
>
> I caught your back-pedaling on gun ownership. Now answer the four
> questions.
>
> < Attempt #7 to get oly to justify his rant >
> < Times that oly has responded by overtly dodging the question: 5 >

< You shouldn't admit your gun ownership on-line Dave, especially in a
thread where you've just threatened to murder someone.

You just can't help lying, can you? Little wonder. We all know how
those Scandinavians lie like a rug.

> "They"
probably keep records of this type of thing, somewhere. Me, I don't
own any guns. Never have, no reason. And frankly, I'm just mental
enough that I couldn't trust myself with them around. Yep, a bit
mental and enjoy drinking alcohol too. Guns aren't really good for
mental mild alcoholics, and I live in such a nice whitebread middle-
America place anyway.

When the mood or the booze hits you, you really do let it all hang
out, eh, oly?

<
< Are you sure that you're o.k. Dave??? You've just said numismatics
isn't important, twice. Now, is something wrong Dave??? Numismatics
is very very important. There are a few things more important, to be
sure, but not too many. Should we be concerned???
<
<Is that number five or number eight or number twelve Dave??? Why do
you have so many guns if everything is O.K. Dave???

When the mood or the booze hits you, you really do let it all hang
out, eh, oly?

Answer the four questions.

< Attempt #8 to get oly to justify his rant >
< Times that oly has responded by overtly dodging the question: 6 >

mazorj

Jun 28, 2009, 11:27:35 PM6/28/09

"oly" <oly...@aol.com> wrote in message

oly
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ditto on this reposting. On both counts.

mazorj

Jun 28, 2009, 11:35:17 PM6/28/09

"oly" <oly...@aol.com> wrote in message

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This one does count toward your tap-dance count. Answer the four
questions.

< Attempt #9 to get oly to justify his rant >
< Times that oly has responded by overtly dodging the question: 7 >

note.boy

Jun 29, 2009, 4:43:34 PM6/29/09
Why do you insist upon feeding a troll? Billy

"mazorj" <maz...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Bob F.

Jun 29, 2009, 5:03:25 PM6/29/09

"note.boy" <note...@naespamntlworld.com> wrote in message

> Why do you insist upon feeding a troll? Billy

Why do you insist that everyone you disagree with is a troll?

oly

Jun 29, 2009, 6:17:26 PM6/29/09
On Jun 29, 3:43 pm, "note.boy" <note....@naespamntlworld.com> wrote:
> Why do you insist upon feeding a troll?  Billy
>
> "mazorj" <maz...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> > "oly" <oly2...@aol.com> wrote in message
> >  < Times that oly has responded by overtly dodging the question: 3 >- Hide quoted text -

The pinnacle of centuries of the distilled wisdom of dear old dreadful
dirt-poor, oatmeal eating, second-rate Scotland - billy and Gordo
Brown.

oly

mazorj

Jun 29, 2009, 6:29:14 PM6/29/09

"note.boy" <note...@naespamntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Why do you insist upon feeding a troll? Billy

He's not a troll, he's a regular who has resorted to troll tactics to
avoid admitting that he's a hateful racist. There's a difference.

oly

Jun 29, 2009, 6:33:13 PM6/29/09
On Jun 29, 5:29 pm, "mazorj" <maz...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "note.boy" <note....@naespamntlworld.com> wrote in message

> > Why do you insist upon feeding a troll?  Billy
>
> He's not a troll, he's a regular who has resorted to troll tactics to
> avoid admitting that he's a hateful racist.  There's a difference.
>

> > "mazorj" <maz...@verizon.net> wrote in message
>
> >> "oly" <oly2...@aol.com> wrote in message
> >>  < Times that oly has responded by overtly dodging the question: 3- Hide quoted text -

My, aren't we obsessed???

Back in that thread about all the shit in your pockets, you forgot to
mention your gold-plated bronzed ACLU card.

oly

mazorj

Jun 29, 2009, 6:39:07 PM6/29/09

> The pinnacle of centuries of the distilled wisdom of dear old
> dreadful
> dirt-poor, oatmeal eating, second-rate Scotland - billy and Gordo
> Brown.

Is that the centuries-old (but second-rate brand of) distilled product
of Scotland speaking here for ya, oly? I pictured you fueling your
rants with Bud Basic, but maybe your vast gold holdings have allowed
you to move your lifestyle up a notch to swilling Kentucky-distilled
Scotch.

Answer the four questions.

< Attempt #10 to get oly to justify his rant >
< Times that oly has responded by overtly dodging the question: 7 >

RF

Jun 29, 2009, 6:52:43 PM6/29/09
On Jun 29, 6:29 pm, "mazorj" <maz...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "note.boy" <note....@naespamntlworld.com> wrote in message

> > Why do you insist upon feeding a troll?  Billy
>
> He's not a troll, he's a regular who has resorted to troll tactics to

OK Jiminy Cricket, if diversity is the paradigm to which we are
supposed to aspire, where is the call for diversity at the
traditionally black colleges like Grambling?

Mr. Jaggers

Jun 29, 2009, 6:56:45 PM6/29/09

I don't approve of everything the ACLU does, but without it, this country
would become a theocracy, and I can guarantee that someone else besides you
would be in charge. And you would be obliged to toe whatever mark they drew
in their quickly-curing concrete.

James
'let us pray'

oly

Jun 29, 2009, 6:56:38 PM6/29/09
On Jun 29, 5:39 pm, "mazorj" <maz...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "oly" <oly2...@aol.com> wrote in message

When will you understand that we yank your chain and NOT the other way
around??? You are dense, like most liberal twats.

You can't even get the order of the adjectives and the nouns that they
are modifiying correct.

oly

Mr. Jaggers

Jun 29, 2009, 7:07:15 PM6/29/09

Many, many different images spring into my perverse mind when I try to
visualize a "liberal twat."

James the Hormonal

oly

Jun 29, 2009, 7:09:44 PM6/29/09
> 'let us pray'- Hide quoted text -

James, of course a secular middle-of-the-road polity would be best;
but IMHO the leftist elite won't abide that today.

Of course, I am more than conservative, I am ultra-conservative. That
is probably because my whiteboy honkey life has been pretty great in
most respects and I certainly don't see the need for all this reverse
discrimination and "benefits" of "diversity" cant. But IF we can't
have a secular middle-of-the-road polity, then I would gladly choose a
far-right and religious state. It is a simple matter; I think that me
and mine would do much better in that right-wing environment than in a
redistributionist leftist state.

oly

oly

Jun 29, 2009, 7:12:00 PM6/29/09
> James the Hormonal- Hide quoted text -

HRC is the best example we got, but there are others. And this
Sotomayor latina makes my "racism" look dim.

oly

Mr. Jaggers

Jun 29, 2009, 7:24:09 PM6/29/09

I am shocked beyond belief that you would prefer a Talibanic look-alike
government. Body parts would be lopped off for the slightest offense,
public floggings just because. You really want your sweet daughter to don a
burka? Gives me the creeps, it does.

James the Secular

mazorj

Jun 29, 2009, 7:25:55 PM6/29/09

"oly" <oly...@aol.com> wrote in message

< My, aren't we obsessed???

Yes, me with hate-spewing racists and you with spewing hateful racism.

< Back in that thread about all the shit in your pockets, you forgot
mention your gold-plated bronzed ACLU card.

I don't have one for much the same reasons I don't have one for the
NRA. I agree with the principles but not all the details of how they
are pursued by some groups.

You, OTOH, don't mind aligning yourself with the same ignorant racist
bigotry of the KKK, which once was rampant even in Illinois and is
still alive if not well in most states. Is there a white robe and
dunce-cap mask in the back of your closet, oly? Or do you keep them
next to the creosote-soaked torches and cross-timbers stacked in your
garage?

Answer the four questions.

< Attempt #11 to get oly to justify his rant >
< Times that oly has responded by overtly dodging the question: 8 >

Mr. Jaggers

Jun 29, 2009, 7:26:52 PM6/29/09

I presume that by now you have seen the latest version of the Presidents'
poster being circulated among the dittohead crowd. Sad. Really, really
sad.

James

oly

Jun 29, 2009, 7:34:06 PM6/29/09
> James the Secular- Hide quoted text -

James, you know very damn well that the Taliban forbid alcohol, so
that's a non-starter. While my own beer and strong black coffee
Lutheranism is of the weak, wishy-washy ELCA variety, I could live
under a Missouri-Synod Regime. The Missouri Synod preachers could use
me as an example of how NOT to be.

oly

"No abstemious man can be counted as reasonably sane. When the Krauts
saw Hitler drinking water in the beerhall, they should have known he
was a man NOT to be trusted." - A. J. Liebling, "A Taste for Paris"

Mr. Jaggers

Jun 29, 2009, 7:45:42 PM6/29/09

We have theocrats in this wonderful country that would make the MS folks
look like flaming liberals. We're talking far beyond the Ten Commandments
here, mon vieux. You might be surprised what your mandatory tithe would be
spent upon under the regimes that some of these groups conjure up, if indeed
all they took from you was a tithe.

James

mazorj

Jun 29, 2009, 7:51:32 PM6/29/09

"RF" <fwd...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I never said squat about diversity, cupcake. To refresh your
selective memory, here's what I posted about oly's rant. If you're

There you are, Finnan. I'm really curious to see what apologia you
offer to support the particulars of oly's demented, paranoid rant. Go
ahead, try to prove any of his four quoted statements if you dare.

And any attempts to dodge my questions with obfuscation (as you did
here) will, like oly's, be ignored. This is about the overt racism in
his own words, and nothing else.

oly

Jun 29, 2009, 7:57:52 PM6/29/09
> James- Hide quoted text -

What is a tithe??? Jesus wants 10%; GHWB and GWB wanted 40%; HRC,
Barney Frank and BHO all want a hell of a lot more than any of the
first two. I have some perception of who will take the most, and it's
the liberal elite who will do that. Now, of course, I do expect that
any American theocracy would be Christian. If so, if it is, well I
don't really have a problem with that. Please note that I said a
secular middle-of-the-road pragmatic political system/ nation would be
best.

oly

mazorj

Jun 29, 2009, 8:31:58 PM6/29/09

"Mr. Jaggers" <lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com> wrote in message

If I get your drift: Under that titillating semantic reinterpretation
of the term, I believe that Ann Coulter qualifies as one, if you get
my drift.

OTOH, it also would justify calling Clinton and JFK a "liberal pr*ck".
;-)

Mr. Jaggers

Jun 29, 2009, 8:57:45 PM6/29/09

Now I'm confused. First, I'm having trouble decoding HRC. Second, how much
money do Frank and Obama want, exactly? Enough to cover the war debt of the
previous administration? Sounds reasonable to me. As far as that goes, how
much does your Flatlander Gov. want to bail his state out of the mess made
by two, three, four, oh heck, all of the Govs since WWII, Reps and Dems
alike?

The "Christian" theocracy proposed by some of the kooks that are among us
would make your blood run cold. Think Leviticus. Think of the mob that
would deliver your Sweet Daughter to the city limits of Springpatch to be
stoned by a bunch of cyclopic elders, for no more of a sin than sassing you
back (if she hasn't already, just wait, she will). And don't even think of
entering the Temple if there is anything at all wrong with your own
"stones."

James the Deuteronomist

mazorj

Jun 29, 2009, 9:07:04 PM6/29/09

"oly" <oly...@aol.com> wrote in message

If and when that ever happens I'll let you know.

> You can't even get the order of the adjectives and the nouns that
> they
are modifiying correct.

Everything in that paragraph is grammatically correct. If you're
getting confused because it's a teensy-weensy bit harder to diagram
than "See Spot run," try omitting the parenthetical phrase and re-read
the perfectly grammatical remaining part of the sentence. Then
re-insert the perfectly grammatical parenthetical modifier. Then go
buy a book on grammar. Maybe Finnan can get you a deal on a used one.

Answer the four questions.

< Attempt #12 to get oly to justify his rant >
< Times that oly has responded by overtly dodging the question: 9 >

oly

Jun 29, 2009, 9:08:44 PM6/29/09

JFK could likely not exist in the Democratic Party today, nor could he
likey have done so at any time after 1970. For one thing, he liked to
sleep with women. For another thing, he was financially pretty damn
conservative (he and his oldest brother got better training from his
old man that did his youngest brother).

oly

oly

Jun 29, 2009, 9:27:05 PM6/29/09
> James the Deuteronomist- Hide quoted text -

If you can't figure out HRC (and that surprises me), then you're not
thinking hard enough. She's a native Chicagoan and she lived in the
public housing at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. for a long time (too long,
she doesn't need to live there again).

I don't expect to be one of the elders in our little theocracy. I'm
not worried that I won't be allowed into the "Holy of Holies". I have
already sent my daughter to a Chrisitan school for seven years and
she's at least one year ahead of where should would be in our local
public schools. I have a good yard-stick because I have several
nieces and nephews the same age in the public schools. Her mother
gets to deal with the sass and the hormones and her mother deserves
it, big-time. I am not worried about the one-eyed Christian elders as
much as I am the left-wing "re-education" Gulag-style camps. The
Communist Gulag affected more far people in the 20th Century than any
and all the compounds full of far-right Christians. Finally, while I
do worry about my daughter, my nieces and nephews and my hordes of
cousins, I have already probably lived 5/7ths of my life. If I die
while being forced to pray and pray and pray in some Christian
theocracy, maybe it is God's plan and it will all help ensure that I
get into heaven.

oly

Mr. Jaggers

Jun 29, 2009, 9:50:34 PM6/29/09

Well, you're right, I just wasn't thinking hard enough. Shows how much and
how quickly she has faded in my hopelessly liberal eyes.

> I don't expect to be one of the elders in our little theocracy. I'm
> not worried that I won't be allowed into the "Holy of Holies". I have
> already sent my daughter to a Chrisitan school for seven years and
> she's at least one year ahead of where should would be in our local
> public schools.

I can't argue with that, as I was a PS teacher for a third of a century, and
it was always the kids in private schools who knew how to conjugate verbs,
diagram sentences, sequence tenses, etc. But then, private schools get to
choose who they will admit and retain as clients, where public schools do
not. The product is not going to be of any better quality than that of the
raw materials that get fed into the hopper at the beginning of the assembly
line. Kind of like early copper coins (ha! I'm on topic, are ya listening,
Jud?).

I have a good yard-stick because I have several
> nieces and nephews the same age in the public schools. Her mother
> gets to deal with the sass and the hormones and her mother deserves
> it, big-time.

No friggin' way I'm stepping into the middle of that one.

> I am not worried about the one-eyed Christian elders as
> much as I am the left-wing "re-education" Gulag-style camps. The
> Communist Gulag affected more far people in the 20th Century than any
> and all the compounds full of far-right Christians. Finally, while I
> do worry about my daughter, my nieces and nephews and my hordes of
> cousins, I have already probably lived 5/7ths of my life. If I die
> while being forced to pray and pray and pray in some Christian
> theocracy, maybe it is God's plan and it will all help ensure that I
> get into heaven.

No, there will be some nefarious requirement that all your worldly wealth
ends up in the estate of some cleric ("from each according to his ability,
to each according to his rank in the political hierarchy"), who will use it
to build a new game room complex addition on his already-28,000 square foot
home, located on 56 prime acres with a primo view of the mountains in a
gated community adjoining a golf course. You, meanwhile, will be fitted for
an asbestos suit, you dreamer, you. 'Course, maybe that is what God has had
in mind for you all along. Now me, I'll be forced to sit and watch while
what is left of my F-VF buffalo nickel collection is slowly ground down,
horn first, on a belt sander loaded with 80-grit, to slugs, and they'll all
come back to me in body bags for "environmental damage" (once again, back on
topic!).

James the Heretic

oly

Jun 29, 2009, 10:10:50 PM6/29/09
> James  the Heretic- Hide quoted text -

They say that Billy Graham has two hundred pairs of 'bespoke" shoes,
and he's never forced anybody into a concentration camp. Perhaps the
service of Yahweh is meant to be rewarding here on God's green Earth.

How about them John Tyler golden dollars??? They's real improvements
over them shoddy John Adams dollars.

oly

Mr. Jaggers

Jun 29, 2009, 10:32:41 PM6/29/09

Even in my apostasy, I have the utmost respect and admiration for Billy
Graham, who talked only of Jesus. He's the only one, though. His
offspring, along with all the other current-day evangelists and bigtime
preachers, turn me off completely. Gimme that Old Time Religion.

> How about them John Tyler golden dollars??? They's real improvements
> over them shoddy John Adams dollars.

I've become conflicted about the Prexibux. I started off with the greatest
of enthusiasm, but as time goes on, my enthusiam wanes. I don't think even
Abe will rekindle my zest, as he's followed by yet another series of
ho-hummers. TR I'd like, except for his expressed opinion of Thomas Paine,
but then there's yet another series of names that don't excite me. I hope I
live long enough to see Ike, whom I have always admired, but who
knows...Then, taking into account the visual impact of these things, I'm
almost ready to spend 'em. Oh, and putting IGWT back on the face, to the
continued exclusion of the date and mintmark, is blasphemy by my theology.

James the Filthymouthed

It is loading more messages.