NYINC

1 view

Jeff

Jan 21, 2002, 12:33:40 PM1/21/02
Show this past weekend,
new location
Professional in all respects
Usual people buying usual coins
Expenses high for dealers (tables $1500 next year $1800).
Hotel rooms $275 per night
Auction did well
All were pleased.
Jeffrey Zarit
21 Jan 02

Ian

Jan 21, 2002, 12:48:19 PM1/21/02
I didn't know that extortion had been legalised in the US. That is heavy
$'s!

Do they do fractions of a table for beginners?

I was also going to ask if they rent the hotel rooms by the hour too....but
that would perhaps put the wrong connoitation on what I was meaning.

Ian

"Jeff" <je...@klippes.com> wrote in message

J. Stone

Jan 21, 2002, 1:42:50 PM1/21/02

Ian wrote:

New York City is not an inexpensive place to have a show. It comes with
the territory I guess. The ANA has been criticized in the recent past for
having
a convention there due to the expense of attending. There is lots to see and
do
there but cheap it is not.

Reid Goldsborough

Jan 21, 2002, 4:52:47 PM1/21/02
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:33:40 -0600, Jeff <je...@klippes.com> wrote:

>Show this past weekend,
>new location
>Professional in all respects

This doesn't reflect my experience and that of others I talked with.
The Waldorf Astoria was a horrible place for the show. It's an old,
cramped, and snooty NYC hotel. The show layout was horrendous -- three
separate bourse rooms, each separated from one another, one about a
three minute walk from the other two, narrow aisles, people bumping
into you all the time. The Waldorf staff was unhelpful at best. The
coatcheck person said no charge when I dropped my coat off. When I
returned, there was a $2.50 sign posted. I had to argue avoid being
socked with this charge. The people staying at the hotel were socked
in many ways -- $8 for a small bag of chips in the room, $12 for a can
of soda -- along with the skyhigh prices of the rooms. The kicker was
ten minutes before the show ended, when I wanted to go to the men's
room, which separated two of the bourse rooms. The Waldorf staffer
almost didn't let me in. When I came out, she yelled at me when I
tried to go into the adjacent bourse room to say goodbye to a dealer
buddy. But I haven't left the bourse, I said. Nobody's allowed back
in, she shouted. Ugh!

--

The Saint: http://members.home.net/reidcoin/saint
Draped Busts: http://www.netaxs.com/~reidgold/draped_busts

jeff

Jan 21, 2002, 9:41:26 PM1/21/02
to Reid Goldsborough
Why don't you make your complaints to Kevin Foley, manager.
I tried and begged for another venue, as did every other dealer.
In your opinion, where else in New York would YOU put the show?
I don't like many things about it either (I sent a 3 page complaint to
the General Manager of the hotel today), but this is what there is
if you want a show in New York, (I am told) at an affordable
price.

You could have left your coat at my table as many others did!!
I was there until the end at 1230 Sunday.
I repeat, I did not like it either, next year I will share with another
dealer (which I hate to do at this show as I am usually busy the whole
time), but I feel I must attend.

Jeffrey Zarit

Richard Adams

Jan 21, 2002, 9:53:00 PM1/21/02
to Reid Goldsborough

Reminds me of my last and only trip to NYC. Crowded and expensive and
that was just a package vacation deal (at least I got a 3rd row seat for
Cats)

* Richard Adams, ANA R-195237 ackthpt(at)concentric.net *
* Free IQ Test:Insert Quarter Here -> ========= *

Harv Laser

Jan 21, 2002, 10:24:45 PM1/21/02

"Reid Goldsborough" <reid...@netaxs.com> wrote in message

> The people staying at the hotel were socked
> in many ways -- $8 for a small bag of chips in the room, $12 for a can
> of soda -- along with the skyhigh prices of the rooms.

$12 for a can of soda!?!? ::coff sputter gag vomit faint thud::

And I thought $2.50 for a 20oz bottle of Coke at Disneyland was extortion..
geezus..

But did you at least have a Waldorf salad? ;) ..

Harv

Stujoe

Jan 21, 2002, 10:30:47 PM1/21/02
In article <1Y438.43300$ql6.11...@typhoon.socal.rr.com>, Harv
Laser spoke thusly...

> "Reid Goldsborough" <reid...@netaxs.com> wrote in message
>
> > The people staying at the hotel were socked
> > in many ways -- $8 for a small bag of chips in the room, $12 for a can
> > of soda -- along with the skyhigh prices of the rooms.
>
> $12 for a can of soda!?!? ::coff sputter gag vomit faint thud::
>
> And I thought $2.50 for a 20oz bottle of Coke at Disneyland was extortion..
> geezus..

It was only 6 bucks for a beer at the Packer/Rams game last night.
:-)

I didn't run the register, so I didn't get to check coins. Everything
was priced in quarter dollar increments so there wasn't much
selection anyway.

--
Stu Miller
The Stujoe Collection: http://thestujoecollection.tripod.com

jeff

Jan 22, 2002, 6:53:23 AM1/22/02
to Stujoe
Nobody forced you to buy at the show.
There were lots of places around Manhattan where you obtain
food at a more reasonable place.
While I do not condone $6 for a sandwich and $3 for a can of soda
(which is what I paid at the snack bar at the show), if you want it
you pay it.
I saw lots of people carrying their coats with them. The aisles were full
of buyers most of the time.
jeff

Jim

Jan 22, 2002, 9:55:41 AM1/22/02
"J. Stone" sto...@pilot.msu.edu adds...

>New York City is not an inexpensive place to have a show. It comes with the
territory I guess.<

Unfortunately the best always comes with a price tag. While the WA may not have
been the best place to put a show, step outside and explore the rest on what NY
has to offer. And yes, it's not without a little tarnish, but still beats the H
outta any other place on earth, including anywhere Mickey and Minnie run
wild....Oh and including Lankstir, Ahia too (trying to beat Fredd to the
punch).

Tact is the ability to tell a man he has an open mind
when you know he has a hole in his head.
--=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=--

Jeff

Jan 22, 2002, 4:47:08 PM1/22/02
to Jim
And the Japanese restaurants around the Waldorf are not bad
either. Had a nice plate of sushi for about 20 bucks.
jeff

Ankaaz

Jan 22, 2002, 5:29:35 PM1/22/02
Jim wrote:

"Unfortunately the best always comes with a price tag. While the WA may not
have
been the best place to put a show, step outside and explore the rest on what NY
has to offer. And yes, it's not without a little tarnish, but still beats the H
outta any other place on earth, including anywhere Mickey and Minnie run
wild....Oh and including Lankstir, Ahia too (trying to beat Fredd to the
punch)."

How much of this dissatisfaction is due to the fact that the Waldorf venue was
a last-minute default? The show was originally planned for the WTC, right?
But it's hard to believe that every single convention center was booked for
that time frame.

Anka <--------- Never been to NYC; don't care if I ever do.

ELurio

Jan 22, 2002, 6:00:37 PM1/22/02
<< Anka <--------- Never been to NYC; don't care if I ever do. >>

Then you don't know squat, do you? The WA wasn't that bad, but aside from the
two guys selling Euros
[I've got 7 varieties!] almost everyone was just selling gold or ancients. I'll
be happy when the ANA show takes place here in the summer.

eric l.

Alan & Erin Williams

Jan 22, 2002, 11:20:52 PM1/22/02
Ankaaz wrote:

Hi, Anka. I've enjoyed reading your posts here and thanks for theLatin lessons.

Convention Centers, esp. in major cities, are usually booked no less than two to
three years in advance.
The only reason our company gets the Baltimore CC each year is that we are in
there in an 'off-time', namely the Thanksgiving holiday.
Next weekend I leave for a 'hardhat tour' of the unfinished Convention Center in
Knoxville, TN. It's the site of the 2002 AAU Junior Olympics that we are
running. I can check on bookings while I'm there, but I'd be shocked if
*anything* was open before 2004.

Alan

Fred A. Murphy

Jan 24, 2002, 8:32:20 PM1/24/02

On 22-Jan-2002, jston...@aol.compactor (Jim) wrote:

> . And yes, it's not without a little tarnish, but still beats the H
> outta any other place on earth, including anywhere Mickey and Minnie run
> wild....Oh and including Lankstir, Ahia too (trying to beat Fredd to the
> punch).

Having just been there monday, I'll have to agree it's nice, but they could
stand to give it a bath and fill in some of the potholes you could lose a
bus in. I still prefer Chicago, tho.

And you're right about Lankstir, Ahia. Almost anyplace beats it, including
Klumbus.

--

Some people learn by reading
Some people learn by watching

Fred A. Murphy

Jan 24, 2002, 8:38:26 PM1/24/02

On 22-Jan-2002, jeff <je...@klippes.com> wrote:

> Nobody forced you to buy at the show.
> There were lots of places around Manhattan where you obtain
> food at a more reasonable place.

I was in Chinatown, Manhattan, six blocks from the WTC. You could buy an
ice cold 12 ounce can of brand name soda for 65¢ to a buck almost anywhere
except in restaurants, and sometimes even there.

JSTONE9352

Jan 25, 2002, 5:30:08 AM1/25/02

>> . And yes, it's not without a little tarnish, but still beats the H
>> outta any other place on earth, including anywhere Mickey and Minnie run
>> wild....Oh and including Lankstir, Ahia too (trying to beat Fredd to the
>> punch).

The mouse kingdom has invaded the big
apple on Broadway where the Lion King
has been playing to sold out audiences