Circle cutter for framing coins

Philip Nacy

Nov 25, 2001, 9:02:15 PM11/25/01
I've recently completed a 20th-century type set and I'd like to mount and
frame it (it's not bad, no coin less than VF). I'd rather not use the common
cheesy "Twentieth Century Type Coins" brown mat and frame you see
everywhere. Instead, I'd like to make my own mat and frame, one that looks
nice to show off my coins. The trouble is, I can't seem to find a good
circle cutter that will go as small as the diameter of a dime. Most go down
to one inch and that is as small as they go. The cutter will have to go to
that small size and cut through regular mat board too (maybe even two layers
at a time!). Anyone have any recommendations for a circle cutter or any
other ideas about displaying my type set? Thanks!

Phil DeMayo

Nov 25, 2001, 9:26:04 PM11/25/01
"Philip Nacy" pn...@hotmail.com wrote:

I don't know all that much about their system....but how about looking into
AirTite capsules for the coins. I know smaller coins can be used in larger
capsules by using the foam surrounds. This method could limit the number of
different sized holes you have to drill and offer additional protection to the
coins.

If you can do a good job of cutting rectangular (nearly square) holes you could
also try the Intercept Shield holders. That way all the holes to be cut would
be the same size.

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo
When bidding online
Always sit on your helmet

JSTONEFEEL

Nov 25, 2001, 9:39:50 PM11/25/01
"Philip Nacy" pn...@hotmail.com sez....

>Most go down to one inch and that is as small as they go.<

At high end hardware stores or industrial supply outfits, you can purchase what
is called an "Arch (or Gasket/Hole) Punch". These are a hand held chisel-like
device, with a predetermined diameter sharpened cone on the end, meant to be
placed on gasket material and struck with a hammer or such. I recommend a high
end store for two reasons....Quality of punch and these tools are a dying
breed. I have seen individual as well as entire sets for sale, with sizes
ranging from a small of 1/16" to 4" diameter on the high end. They would be
perfectly suited for any sort of matte work.

If you have trouble locating them, e-mail me and I can suggest some vendors,
myself NOT amongst them :^)

You can't be truly rude until you understand good manners.
=============================

JSTONEFEEL

Nov 25, 2001, 9:55:47 PM11/25/01
jston...@aol.compliant (JSTONEFEEL) forgot to add....

The beveled cutting edge on the hole end, will leave a nice matte relief
appearance to your hole, without having to second cut or engineer it in with an
Xacto or such.

David Hamilton

Nov 25, 2001, 10:10:45 PM11/25/01
I was thinking Arch punch when I read the message. I don't know if
they are available in the sizes since they usually come in 1/16" size
increments. Here is a link to what we are talking about

http://www.zimmermanpacking.com/archpunch.htm

I use these on a regular basis. If they meet your need, a tip for
using them is to find a hunk of wood (at least a 4X4) stand it on end
and use your punch against the grain of the wood. It will make a HUGE
difference in the quality of the hole.

Dave

On 26 Nov 2001 02:39:50 GMT, jston...@aol.compliant (JSTONEFEEL)

Byron L. Reed - Bust Dime Freak

Nov 25, 2001, 10:21:53 PM11/25/01
Depending on what you are making the holes in, you could use a what's called a
"hollow" punch. The difficulty will be finding punches that match the diameter
of the coins. A modern dime is about 17.9mm or .705 in. neither of which is
standard. An 18mm punch is .709, so the hole would be just a touch large, but
maybe not so much that it would matter. I know Air-Tite dime holders claim to
be 18mm, but they may not be precision. You will have similar problems with
the other coins.

If you are using a hard substance, you should look into using hole or "gasket"
cutters that have adjustable blades, making test holes until the diameters are
just right. You could also enquire at your local machine shop.

JSTONEFEEL

Nov 25, 2001, 10:30:22 PM11/25/01
David Hamilton hda...@qwest.net adds.....

>I was thinking Arch punch when I read the message. I don't know if they are
available in the sizes since they usually come in 1/16" size increments.<

You mean they may not come in the exact diameter of a dime? Possible, but I'll
betcha there'll be something pretty close. The URL you posted, seems to have a
good size assortment, but I have seen these on the shelf in over 30+ different
sizes, all the way up to 4". I've used the 4" ones in making gaskets for panel
mount meters or gauges, subject to hose down.

>If they meet your need, a tip for using them is to find a hunk of wood (at
least a 4X4) stand it on end and use your punch against the grain of the
wood.<

Absolutely....These must be used with a rigid backer and full end grain does
make the most sense. Too soft a backer, like plywood or pine board, can deform
the hole. That material that peg board is made from (momentary brain fade), or
even peg board itself, mounted on plywood, makes a perfect backer for punching
matte.

JSTONEFEEL

Nov 25, 2001, 10:40:28 PM11/25/01
band...@aol.com.AVStink (Byron L. Reed - Bust Dime Freak) adds.....

<snip> A modern dime is about 17.9mm or .705 in. neither of which is standard.<

If that is indeed the diameter, an 11/16 punch, having effectively a 0.69"
diameter hole, ought to be a tight fit, but work just fine. Good 'ol fractional
comes through in the clutch. Who woulda thunk?

David Hamilton

Nov 25, 2001, 11:02:55 PM11/25/01
I have never punched anything much over 1" with an Arch Punch. If I
need something much bigger I usually use an Allpax gasket cutter.
These claim they will cut a hole as small as 1/4" . I find them more
suitable for larger holes. these have the advantage of an infinate
number of hole sizes that they will cut (they are analog gasket
cutters <G>).

If an Arch punch will fit the needs, they are certinley easier to set
up <G>

On 26 Nov 2001 03:30:22 GMT, jston...@aol.compliant (JSTONEFEEL)

Byron L. Reed - Bust Dime Freak

Nov 25, 2001, 11:08:04 PM11/25/01
><snip> A modern dime is about 17.9mm or .705 in. neither of which is
>standard.<
>
>If that is indeed the diameter, an 11/16 punch, having effectively a 0.69"
>diameter hole, ought to be a tight fit, but work just fine. Good 'ol
>fractional
>comes through in the clutch. Who woulda thunk?

Perhaps, if the material would give a bit. Of course, a deburring tool could
take off just a touch of material once the hole was made.

Might work very well.

BLReed

GOT BUSTS? http://www.byronreed.com/BCTC/home.htm

Byron L. Reed - Bust Dime Freak

Nov 25, 2001, 11:13:18 PM11/25/01
>These claim they will cut a hole as small as 1/4" . I find them more
>suitable for larger holes. these have the advantage of an infinate
>number of hole sizes that they will cut (they are analog gasket
>cutters <G>).

How do you think this would this work with soft material, like the Intercept
foam Ron found:

http://www.archivalsuppliers.com/shop/subcategory850.html

A. Lurker

Nov 25, 2001, 11:31:27 PM11/25/01

David Hamilton

Nov 25, 2001, 11:36:23 PM11/25/01
It is probably do-able, It may take a some of practice to get it
right.

. I have been making custom gaskets, not on a daily basis. but on a
regular basis for close to 30 years. I use every tool available.
every once in a while I come up with the perfect gasket and it puts a
smile on my face. every once in a while I get the gasket material
from hell along with the shape that only the devil could have created
and spend the better part of a day on one gasket.

That said, Circles are easy. Foam is sometimes tough.

If someone wanted to send me an intercept type foam, I would be happy
to give a report.l

On 26 Nov 2001 04:13:18 GMT, band...@aol.com.AVStink (Byron L. Reed

Ron

Nov 26, 2001, 12:30:16 AM11/26/01
On Mon, 26 Nov 2001 02:02:15 GMT, "Philip Nacy" <pn...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

I haven't searched this site recently:

http://www.tandyleather.com/

but they sell all kinds of leather working tools. They might have
drive punches with the diameters you need. I once ordered a 7/16"
(10.5mm) punch from them. Not too expensive and it seemed decent
quality.

I would think they would cut/punch through mat boards

Ron

Byron L. Reed - Bust Dime Freak

Nov 26, 2001, 1:33:03 AM11/26/01
>At high end hardware stores or industrial supply outfits, you can purchase
>what
>is called an "Arch (or Gasket/Hole) Punch".

Here's some:

http://www.engineeringfindings.com/cat21/p337.pdf

I just ordered:
W-ARCH-15 PUNCH 15/16"
W-ARCH-18M PUNCH 18MM
W-ARCH-15M PUNCH 15MM

This will be my $50 experiment to determine if I can make foam rings to
securely hold bust coins in Dansco, Whitman, or Intercept albums. My plan is
to put the dimes into a Nickel page and half dimes into dime or cent pages.

If anyone needs any of these three punch sizes -- DON'T BUY THEM -- I'll lend
them to you.

JSTONEFEEL

Nov 26, 2001, 1:38:33 AM11/26/01
jston...@aol.compliant (JSTONEFEEL) having recovered from temporary insanity
adds....

>That material that peg board is made from (momentary brain fade)<

Masonite board....! Great stuff for resurfacing your work bench with. Have used
it for years to surface benches used for automotive, wood or modeling/crafting.
Very versatile stuff. Try using a 3/16" piece of that, backed by plywood, under
your punch.

JSTONEFEEL

Nov 26, 2001, 1:55:45 AM11/26/01
band...@aol.com.AVStink (Byron L. Reed - Bust Dime Freak) has taken the
plunge...

>If anyone needs any of these three punch sizes -- DON'T BUY THEM -- I'll lend
them to you.<

Very magnanimous gesture and very cool site. Nice stuff at Small
Parts.....Thanks for the URL...and the offer. Hope they work out for you. Be
careful with them, cuz the edge is a real B to restore once chinked or dulled.

David Hamilton

Nov 26, 2001, 11:26:25 AM11/26/01
Good luck. I will be interested in hearing how this comes out.

What may be a little problematic will be cutting concentric circles.
If you come up with a consistant method I would like to hear what it
is.

That is an advantage of the Allpax gasket cutter. When I went to the
Allpax web page I saw that they also have punches for sale that will
cut concentric circles. It looks like sizes are limited. I might have
to order a set of those for work.

RE: a surface to punch these on. If you don't have a 4X4, a piece of
firewood stood on end (or a stump) would work well.

On 26 Nov 2001 06:33:03 GMT, band...@aol.com.AVStink (Byron L. Reed

J9rider

Nov 26, 2001, 11:42:19 AM11/26/01
Buy a gasket punch set at local auto part store.

coins is me

Fred A. Murphy

Nov 26, 2001, 12:07:42 PM11/26/01

On 26-Nov-2001, David Hamilton <hda...@qwest.net> wrote:

> What may be a little problematic will be cutting concentric circles.
> If you come up with a consistant method I would like to hear what it
> is.

Find your center hole and extend the X and Y axes, marking for diameters
before you punch the first one. Just use a compass.

--

You arguably have quite a few inalienable rights,
but being taken seriously isn't one of them.

Philip Nacy

Nov 26, 2001, 10:29:06 PM11/26/01
Thanks for all of your good ideas. I appreciate your suggestions. I think
I'll start with the gasket cutters and see how that works. Again, thanks!

George

Nov 28, 2001, 10:31:28 PM11/28/01
Some Trophy shops are now using laser devices for cutting in names and doing other things. I know
that they will also cut thru paper and plastic. you might try someone like that and have them cut
all the holes at one time saving on set up time.

George
Phoenix, AZ

Achut Bhandarkar

May 15, 2023, 2:27:31 AM5/15/23
Die cutters used for leather may be useful as they come in many sizes.
Using them with a mallet may help.