1883 American Penny reading "One Cunt" ... history & current price???

Scott Morrison

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
I have this penny and am interested in its history and its value.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

ben shaberman

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
Scott Morrison (sco...@feldspar.com) wrote:
: I have this penny and am interested in its history and its value.

: Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Well, it has quite a history and is definitely worth more if it is in good
condition. If it is uncirculated? Oh man!

AnswerMan2

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
Scott Morrison writes:
>I have this 1883 penny and am interested in its history and its value.
=====
Sorry, Scott, but you have an altered coin. This was a popular pastime
with the large cents and examples are known for just about every date. A
conversation piece in unmixed company, but no collector value, as is the
case with most altered coins.

Robert Lyons

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
-
- : Thanks in advance for any help offered.
-
- Well, it has quite a history and is definitely worth more if it is in good
- condition. If it is uncirculated? Oh man!

How about a history lesson for the newbies here - what's the story with this coin?
Sounds interesting. :-)

James De Voss

May 9, 2021, 2:43:52 PM5/9/21
Well I own one it is missing the ONE and the CENT is replaced with CUNT . There is no way it’s altered . I’ve been collecting for twenty years so I’m far from a newbi

Daniel Kirchen

Sep 23, 2021, 2:47:09 PM9/23/21
On Sunday, May 9, 2021 at 11:43:52 AM UTC-7, James De Voss wrote:
> Well I own one it is missing the ONE and the CENT is replaced with CUNT . There is no way it’s altered . I’ve been collecting for twenty years so I’m far from a newbi

I have the same one and the date on it is 1838. So maybe not as rare as I thought. I guess I'll need to keep working...

RobFindsTreasure

Dec 2, 2021, 1:08:48 AM12/2/21
They are brothel tokens created to keep honest the women in the brothel. It wasn't the cost of the groping. They were used as tokens. Men would pay the Madam of the house and she would give the men the token. The men would choose a girl in the brothel and then pay them with the "token" as proof of payment to the madam for the service. After the service, the Madam would cash back in the tokens to the girls (after her appropriate cut). That being said, I am certain that some clever men figured out a method of faking the tokens and may have carved a few of their own.